[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to get into pic related, I played it like 10 years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: vs-1.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
vs-1.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
So I want to get into pic related, I played it like 10 years ago and abandoned it halfway in some sort of misty forest because I couldn't deal any damage to enemies (I didn't know english at the time so it didn't help). I will play it emulated so no manual for me. Can you explain the basics to me in a non-spoilerific way? I don't want to break the game and be über-powerful, just the basic stuff and figure everything else myself.
>>
>>3206361
Great game and one of the PS1 classics.
>>
>>3206361
Good news for you, the manual is in the game itself.
>>
>>3206361
Check out this guide. He gives some good starting advice and strategies. After that just explore and play.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/914326-vagrant-story/faqs/40255

>>3206367
0/10
>>
>>3206361
Gonna tell you this OP: Doing double-digit damage is a pretty big deal, and the overwhelming majority of Ashley's power is in combos which take a lot of practice.

In theory, any enemy in the game can be slain in a single combo.

Since you understand English now, read the manual thoroughly. It's boring, but it's very helpful.
>>
>>3206361
>no manual for me

it's in the game, read it thoroughly
>>
good game ?
>>
>>3208417
>good
nigger it's the fucking best
>>
>>3206361
OP, consider that
>>3206441
>and the overwhelming majority of Ashley's power is in combos which take a lot of practice.
is the opposite of truth. You are not supposed to combo unless you can kill the enemy, including bosses, in one chain.

If you can't deal any damage, you don't have the right weapon build and the right buffs cast. At this point combos are punishable by RISK buildup, which should not occur mid-battle at all.

Many people try to play VS as a rhythm/action game and end up being disappointed, because it's a brilliant stat managing game, but a horrible action game. It allows you to beat enemies with chains even if you can't deal any solid damage due to badly crafted equipment, but it simply turns the whole game into a god-awful slog.
>>
>>3209258
>If you can't deal any damage, you don't have the right weapon build and the right buffs cast.

Or you just have too much HP, Raging Ache says hi.
>>
There's six different types of enemy in the game, and to be thorough you want a different weapon for each type, though you can double up and have 3 main weapons, so that the affinty in those weapons for each monster type gets higher. Like for instance I usually use the starting sword against humans and the axe you get right away for beasts, a spear specifically for fighting dragons is nice cause you can poke it's weak spot with it, etc.
>>
>>3206361
BECOME A WEAPON MASTER. The game's weapons work like Guts' sword from Berserk: the more enemies you kill the stronger the weapon gets. In VS, though, it's just an affinity bonus for that type of enemy, and also there's a negative effect for every positive one (meaning you can't just expect to use one weapon for everything). Keep a few handles for your main blades and mix things up.
>>
Just ran into a strange issue while emulating this game (in b4 durr hurr real hardware) after being the first boss (the minatuar) and watching the cutscene with Ashley, his wife and kid, the game went back to the title screen. Loaded my save and fought the boss again, but this time skipped the cutscene and was able to proceed as per normal.

Anybody else encounter this?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.