[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magazines & Fanzines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: gamefan.jpg (3 MB, 1921x2504) Image search: [Google]
gamefan.jpg
3 MB, 1921x2504
>$50 per issue

Collecting gamefan is painful. Anyone here collect magazines? I've got about 50 Nintendo Power issues, & 30 Electronic Gaming Monthly issues.
>>
I have about 100 magaziness, that I actually bought/stole as a teen. They are in shitty condition now though.

Why is gamefan worth 50$ an issue now?
>>
>>3206057
Gamefan was the best. Loved how they would shit on "Eurotrash" games like James Pond. Nick Rox was GOAT.
>>
Thanks for reminding me Cannon Spike exists.
>>
>>3206086
>Why is gamefan worth 50$ an issue now?

nevermind. OP is a lying faggot. ebay has mass amounts of them for far less
>>
>>3206117
Good

Almost had me regretting tossing all my old gaming mags 14 years ago.
>>
>>3206057
>$50 per issue
Incorrect. I've been buying up old Gamefans to fill in the holes of my collection for far less. Single issues sell for around 10-15, but if you buy them in lots, you can usually get them at face value. I bought 4 issues for 12 bucks, and they were still in their original bags. Almost felt like I shouldn't have opened them.

Although most issues of their first year are usually sold for more. Well, I wouldn't say "sold" because nobody seems to buy them, but entitled sellers see "volume 1" on the side and figure that automatically makes them worth $100.

Other than that, I don't collect. I actually got rid of all my old Nintendo Powers years ago, most from '98-'03. I'll be kicking myself when I realize I could have sold them to some nostalgia-craving millennial for 50 bucks a pop.
>>
File: Suikoden2_NA.jpg (87 KB, 419x410) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden2_NA.jpg
87 KB, 419x410
>>3206057
Gamefans are the only magazines I still have. I usually have on in the bathroom that I switch out every few months.

I still follow Shidoshi who does a bunch of podcasts. And also transitioned in the last couple of years which is interesting to me. There used to be one that also had Nick Rox and Casey Lowe on it, but it's been ages since they recorded.

Also fun fact: Shidoshi and Nick Rox were two of the main translators on Suikoden 2.
>>
>>3206204
>And also transitioned in the last couple of years which is interesting to me
Really? Someone was telling me it was Casey Low that transitioned, which didn't seem right.

I love Gamefans, and I have a ton of Versus Books player's guides written by Casey Loe. I used to love flipping through those things, great layouts and tons of hi-res official art. Back before official art books were a serious thing.
>>
>>3206235
Yeah not Casey. Brain fart, I can't remember Shidoshi's real name from before, she goes by Molliepen now. If you liked Gamefan, I really recommend listening to the Warning A Huge Podcast episodes with Casey and Nick.

http://radio.morningproject.com/category/showtags/wahp/
>>
>>3206261
yeah, I've listened to those, I love when they talk old Gamefan office stories. I love that webpage with all the archived forum posts of them sharing stories from the old days.

It might not have been the most objectively truthful game magazine back in the day, but it's the only one I still find worth reading.
>>
>>3206274
>It might not have been the most objectively truthful game magazine back in the day, but it's the only one I still find worth reading.

Totally agree. I often disagreed with opinions, but they were always interesting.
>>
>>3206280
Only time I ever strongly disagreed with them was their tirade (as well as pretty much every other non-Nintendo magazine's at the time) against cartridge-based games. Mostly because the things that people praised CDs for (cutscenes and spoken dialogue) have ultimately become maligned among the /vr/ community. To read some of their articles where they talk about FMVs and voice acting as though they were as important to the game as good play control or design is almost cringe-worthy, but hey, it was a different time.
>>
>>3206294
Also, as a kid, I didn't really know the difference, and didn't understand why people cared what medium their video games came on.
>>
honestly sometimes i wake up in the night in a cold sweat haunted by the thought of me throwing out the modest stack of EGM's and gamefans i had as a teenager. oh well at least i gots muh sebbenty five issues of nintenda powahs lmao :D
>>
>>3206057
Great layout, great reviews, great anime section all printed on high quality paper. Best videogame magazine ever. Loved their import section and pro Japan stance, especially Nick Des Barres.
>>
>>3206057
Why are you collecting American mags? They didn't play the games they reviewed and the mag's are 90% ads.
>>
>>3206204
>I still follow Shidoshi who does a bunch of podcasts. And also transitioned in the last couple of years which is interesting to me. There used to be one that also had Nick Rox and Casey Lowe on it, but it's been ages since they recorded.
I used to frequent the TNL forums (shortly after the whole GameGo debacle) a decade ago where Shidoshi still posts regularly and I always got a queer vibe from him.
>>
>>3206919
Official Playstation Magazine had demo disks.
Worth it
>>
>>3206919
>he doesn't realize that 1990s video game ads are the best shit ever
>>
>>3206057
50$ per pop? Man, maybe I should start a GameFan forgery business.
>>
Any value in the Gamefan issue with the "racist" game review?

I doubt it.
>>
I've begun cutting out a lot of the guides for games I really enjoy and putting them into a binder for easy access. It's been fun as hell.
>>
Britfag here. I have issues 1-200 of Edge, some Games TM issues and I have a decent collection of RetroGamer. I've started a Super Play collection but it isn't that far in yet. I fucking love game magazines.

Comments -

Edge - decent, but pretentious as fuck in later years (they played to their reputation a lot). Some really good access and features as a result of that reputation though. Very slick magazine.

Games TM - a less pretentious Edge. I'm not sure if they're still going because I haven't bought a new magazine in ages, but they were excellent when I was reading them regularly about 5 years ago.

RetroGamer - a lot of good features and interviews, particularly around but not limited to the UK home computer systems from the 80s. Quality magazine.

Super Play - SNES independent magazine. Excellent content (with a lot of Japanese arcade/import culture stuff which wasn't so common at the time. Excellent cover art.
>>
Holland here.

I used to buy NMS, EGM, EGM2, Gamefan, Superplay n some others back in the days. I always liked the GAMECAVE ads hehe, so much cool import stuff I could never get my hands on until years later.
>>
>>3206057
I've got about a hundred and fifty GameInformer magazines sitting in a draw under my futon that I need to get rid of.
>>
>>3210427
Nobody is actually paying that much for them.
>>
File: dogtg.jpg (111 KB, 368x500) Image search: [Google]
dogtg.jpg
111 KB, 368x500
>2016
>reading shitty old print media about games instead of playing them yourself on the real hardware

stay cucked
>>
>>3210982
>implying you can't do both
>cuckposting
>stupid dog image
Probably the worst anon on this board right now.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.