[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vr/ I want to buy a handheld console for emulation purposes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
File: psp.jpg (27 KB, 610x343) Image search: [Google]
psp.jpg
27 KB, 610x343
Hey /vr/ I want to buy a handheld console for emulation purposes

I used to have a PSP until I broke it, and now I'm using my phone, should I get another PSP or is there anything better on the market?

Anything that can emulate up until PS1 era is good for me , so hit me with your ideas!
>>
>>3205642
What did you break? The screen can be replaced in minutes.
>>
>>3205642
Psp is what I use, very good. Basically every pre fifth gen console runs flawlessly, snes has its hiccups but never anything to bad. You also get flawless ps1 and gba as well. Psp isby no means a bad choice.
>>
>>3205662
I bought one last summer for $60 with an aftermarket battery and a 16GB memory card. Definitely got my money's worth.
>>
SNES has its problems, N64 is even worse, no matter how many people try to convince you that N64 is "okay." Perhaps Mario 64 plays up to standard. Everything else should be fine. PSP 3000 and PSP Go with component cables can get you very accurate 240p for PS1 games. PSP Go can also let you pair a Dualshock 3 for controls.
>>
>>3205706
People actually try n64 on psp?
>>
>>3205642
>Anything that can emulate up until PS1 era
You'll do well with a JXD s5110b with custom ROM if you only want to emulate PS1. N64 emulation is trickier though, so if you fancy playing this console, you should go for a JXD s5800 or a GPD G5A.
You may also want to check out JXD s7800b, if you're comfortable wih big sized handhelds.
>>
>>3205741
I personally tried it just to see the miracles the PSP can pull
>>
>>3205642
Seems like a good time for me to emulate a bunch of PS1 games I never got round to. Which of these is still worth playing:

ape escape,
tomba
einhander,
tenchu
colony wars & vengeance
r type delta
rollcage stage 2
metal slug x,
vigilante 8,
die hard
siphon filter
spider man
Would it be an issue if the games use R2 and L2 since the PSP doesn't have those?
>>
OP here , I took a nap, surprised this thread is still up, anyway so a PSP is the best choice it seems

>>3205661
the analog stick broke , I replaced it myself and after that it wouldn't turn on anymore, tried a bunch of fixes and nothing
>>
I dunno man, I'd go for one of those jxd things if the price is ok with you.
They look pretty decent.
>>
New 3DS is the best choice nowadays.
>>
>>3206035
Are they actually any good?I checked those out too but I'm skeptical

>>3206039
there's little on the 3DS library that interests me , what can I emulate on it?
>>
>>3206031
>surprised this thread is still up
It's a slow board.

>PSP is the best choice it seems
Unless you want SNES over PSX.

JXD devices are seen widely but still there are complains about their quality.
>>
>>3206045
>there's little on the 3DS library that interests me , what can I emulate on it?
Up to SNES, Playstation is emulatable but with problems.
You can look library of ports for NDS/3DS and see if there is enough to interest you.
>>
>>3206049
my old PSP had a SNES emulator , seemed to work just fine , or did I miss something?

>JXD devices are seen widely but still there are complains about their quality.
considering they are chinese copies of original consoles that doesn't surprise me

>>3206056
what kind of problems does the PS emulation have?
>>
>>3206045

FCEUMM (NES), nxengine, NEStopia, 2048, Gambatte (Gameboy), gpSP (GBA), mednafen (VirtualBoy, NeoGeoPocketColor, WSWAN, PCE), SNES9x (SNES), catsfc (SNES), picodrive (Genesis,GameGear, SMS), CatSFC Plus (SNES), Pocketsnes, DOSBox, FBA (CPS1, CPS2, Neo Geo), mGBA, quickNES, and Genesis Plus GX, MAME .078, 2003, 2000

All at 60fps. On a NEW3DS mind. Not regular. Ps1 emu runs at like 30-40fps.

All run on retroarch which is super customizable
>>
>>3206062
>considering they are chinese copies of original consoles that doesn't surprise me
They are rather Android consoles with buttons.

>what kind of problems does the PS emulation have?
Pretty slow comparing to PSP.
SNES emulation looked a lot better on a New3DS for me.
>>
>>3206067
all this i assume is with a hacked N3DS?

>Ps1 emu runs at like 30-40fps.
isn't the PSP locked on 30fps to begin with? so that won't bother me much

I never owned a DS console , so I might just jump on the wagon

>>3206072
>Pretty slow comparing to PSP
low fps? or big loading times?
>>
>>3206016
>Would it be an issue if the games use R2 and L2 since the PSP doesn't have those?
With the latest CFW and popsloader you can configure yourself if the psp's LR map to psx LR1 or LR2. The unmapped one gets mapped to the analog stick (left for L, right for R, up/down for both). It works pretty well.
>>
>>3206096
Pimp. Cheers.
>>
>>3206067
How well does dosbox work on a recent 3ds? I tried some obscure psp port but it was unusable, unfortunately. If it works well and the touchscreen functions as a mouse that could be very nice.
>>
>>3206067
Second N3DS, finally jumped on it after using a psp for like a decade. If you're a fag like me try to get one of the regular sized ones instead of an XL (better build quality, feels nicer) but they're only available in NA through an animal crossing or limited edition pokemon bundle.

Anon do you know where I can get optimal retroarch configs for the 3ds builds?
>>
N3DS has taken the PSP's throne imo. Systems that the PSP struggled with, namely SNES and GBA, are injectable into an official emulator (SNES) or play on original hardware (GBA), so they run with basically zero problems.

PS1 games don't run particularly well, but the emulator scene is still relatively young, it'll improve with time. So right now it's a question of if you'd want perfect PS1 or GBA emulation.
>>
>>3206178
PSP scene seems to be very much dead unfortunately.
>>
>>3206171
How much better is N3DS over the PSP? SNES and GBA in particular.
>>
>>3206171

Go to Gbatemp 3DS hacking and emulation thread. It has links to the latest stable builds.
>>
>>3206178
Wut? I've been pretty frantically running through gba games on my Go and they work just fine, haven't even seen a hiccup.
Regardless, to me the biggest reason to use PSP is the glorious PS1 emulation. Something whimsical about playing FFVIII on the go with it working perfectly.
>>
>>3206212

I'll look into it. I haven't browsed GBATemp as much as I used to a few years ago so that slipped past me.

Anybody ever tried emulating Rondo of Blood using Retroarch on the N3DS?
>>
>>3206171
Amazon and Playasia have JP ones for less than what it would cost to buy an XL in NA.
You can easily hack them to be region free.
>>
>>3206417

Watch out for the ones like this: http://www.amazon.com/New-Nintendo-3DS-White-Japan/dp/B00NAW5R0I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462986659&sr=8-3&keywords=import+new+3ds

New out of the box these (and the black version) come on firmware 8.1 - This firmware requires you update before using the web browser. The only way would be to hack it to 9.2 using a jpn copy of cubic ninja/ocarina of time as hack entrypoints, and you can't update to firmware 11.x.x.x right now because they made changes to FIRM1 to prevent downgrades.

Basically they're a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge pain in the dick. I got my regular N3DS on Jet through the animal crossing bundle for 160 using a coupon.
>>
>>3206045
>Are they actually any good?I checked those out too but I'm skeptical
They're your best option considering they run Android so they'll naturally get the best of the emulators and they will always continue to be updated. If you're still skeptical, you may check out some YouTube videos testing emulators on these handhelds.
>>
>>3205642
Why do that
do you really think you're going outside and play this shit while waiting in line for your fast food?

There's nothing that shouts I'M AN AUTIST more than playing a fucking handheld console in public specially if you buy it for emulation purposes and you're over 15
>>
File: streetrulesbitch.jpg (132 KB, 891x670) Image search: [Google]
streetrulesbitch.jpg
132 KB, 891x670
>>3206527
>2016
>caring what strangers in public think of your pastimes
It's time to grow up, kiddo.
>>
>>3206547
now pick your nose and eat it
>>
>>3206527
Witless bait apart, I've actually got to know a lot of people just by playing in public. Other gamers get interested on what you're playing so they come to you and talk. I still have a friend who I regularly meet at our local fast food to play.
>>
>>3206527
I'm 27 and I have a pink 3DS. I don't give a single flying fuck.

You'd be an idiot to steal it anyway, it's too easily identifiable.
>>
>>3206559
I met one of my best long time friends because he was a fellow 20something who I would see playing Pokemon when he went out for smoke breaks.

Now I find the 3DS steet pass thing get me meeting people, especially on the train.
>>
Anyone here ever used the Xperia Play? I'm thinking of getting it for GBA/GBC games mainly. Does it run these well or is it too old of a phone?
>>
>>3206527

What does that have to do with anything? What does it matter what someone does, as long as they have their shit together in life then there really is no problem.
>>
File: gpd xd.jpg (138 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
gpd xd.jpg
138 KB, 680x680
>>3206078

N3DS can't emulate ps1 in a playable manner. Too slow and sound is often fucked. Only game I've found that runs decently is Resident Evil 3. Other than that, a hacked N3DS is great, especially with a DS flashcart that will run you like $10 (to play DS games).

If you want PS1 though, I would go with the GPD XD. Review looks pretty good for it compared to the other chinese android gaming devices.
>>
>>3206016
Rollcage Stage II won't boot on PSP/Popsloader. I'm a huge Rollcage fan so believe me when I say I've done everything to try to make it work.
>>
>>3206016
metal slug has a psp anthology with all the games up to 6 and ape escape has a psp port because the psp lack a analog stick but i never tried it
>>
>>3206586
>>3206593
Appreciate the feedback guys.
>>
>>3206564
I was doing my research on that as a better snes option than the PSP - Shortly after the n3ds snes virtual console dropped so I switched to that.

The 3DS runs GBA games using hardware so the performance is damn good. But the PSP pulls its weight pretty well when running gba (Mainly because gpsp is really well made).

So yeah, Xperia play would probably be a great fit, plus it can't hurt because you can snipe used ones for 30-40 bucks
>>
>>3206586
Have you tried making your own eboot from a psx iso?
>>
>>3206627
That is the only way, Rollcage Stage II isn't a PSone Classic on PSN. Most likely due to music licensing.
>>
File: P1020539.jpg (216 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
P1020539.jpg
216 KB, 1600x1200
>>3205642
a GPD XD.
>>
>>3206745
Well yea but I usually just grab psx2psp eboots from emulatorzone or whatever, I thought maybe they messed up on that one or smth.
>>
File: RollcageStgII.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
RollcageStgII.webm
3 MB, 640x480
>>3206752
I made all my eboots the same way, tried different Pops versions, different compression settings, hell I even tried it on Vita. Game's no good to run. I even cross checked it with compatibility lists on google and no one has gotten it to run. Either play the disc, emulate it, or use PS2's Popstarter (pic related.)
>>
Thank you for info guys , I will settle fo another PSP since I can get a used one for like 50€.

While I'm at it , my broken one is a PSP 1004, should I get the same model or are the later ones better for emulation and CFW?
>>
>>3206832
Get a 3000 or a Go, if you can.

Go can be a bit cramping if you have big hands though.
>>
>>3206749
Are those the same sticks as on a vita?
>>
>>3206915
no, they are real sticks.
>>
>>3206832
What? didn't you read the whole thread? Do you want to surround yourself with aspies? Didn't you see people defending the use of handhelds in public are surrounded by autist hambeast? none of them said hurr durr i fucked a girl cuz my PSP
>>
File: 1442946984385.jpg (95 KB, 486x330) Image search: [Google]
1442946984385.jpg
95 KB, 486x330
>>3206923
What the actual fuck are you going on about?
Some people just like handhelds to play at home.
>>
>>3206928
this, im either at work or at home, i like to chill with my handhelds at home
>>
>people shilling the 3DS ITT
Cancer.
>>
>>3206906
I do have big hands so a Go is a no go

>>3206923
But anon I like playing games in my bad on a handheld , especially emulators , my PC is for new AAA games (and Morrowind)

My public handheld is my phone and that's socially acceptable
>>
>>3205642
By a good phone for emulation. I play N64, DS and PSP in my Samsung Galaxy S4 and it goes perfect
>>
>>3206790
Looks like I'll be emulating on epsxe then.

I tried colony wars and it's like a (very) poor mans Freespace. No thanks.

Tenchu, R-Type and Einhander seem fun as fuck though (tried each for 5 mins to check they worked.)
>>
>>3205642
buy another PSP. they are cheap and easy to jailbreak and do exactly what you want
>>
oh man

OP, if PS1 is your priority, get another PSP. SNES is bad, everything else isn't bad.

If pre-PS1 is your priority, get a GCW-Zero.

If PS1 is a priority (but you don't care about the accuracy aspect) and you want N64, GPD XD.

N3DS isn't a good option and the emulators still aren't there yet. They might never be - they're just Retroarch ports without much in the way of system optimization.
>>
File: jxd s192.png (527 KB, 1920x640) Image search: [Google]
jxd s192.png
527 KB, 1920x640
>>3205642
just get one of these, nigger
>>
File: 1455578257823.png (7 KB, 694x448) Image search: [Google]
1455578257823.png
7 KB, 694x448
>anything Android
enjoy your microstutter as the JVM shits all over whatever emu you use
>PSP
complete dogshit for emulation by 2016 standards; plays PSP and PS1 games though
>n3DS
not that great, but sadly one of the best options
>iOS
great if you have a blutooth controller and fucking $800+USD to blow on fucking SNES games
>rpi
You have to turn it into a handheld yourself; not much better than n3DS anyway

>mfw the state of portable emulation in 2016
>>
>>3207716
>enjoy your microstutter as the JVM shits all over whatever emu you use
I have a Galaxy S3 and a JXD s7800 and I've never had any stutter issues.

>not that great, but sadly one of the best options
Give it enough time, things are looking bright so far.
>>
>>3207752
>I'm too pleb to notice it, so it doesn't exist

every time
>>
>>3207754
>shit tier bait

And nope, they simply didn't have any stutter issues at all. Maybe you should get one of those before spreading your meme.
>>
File: Pyra-Main.png (640 KB, 892x800) Image search: [Google]
Pyra-Main.png
640 KB, 892x800
>>3205642
If you've got loads of money and just want something that can emulate damn near everything there's always the Pyra, which is more or less a very tiny laptop in terms of what it can do.
>>
>>3207716
>PSP plays PSP games
whoa no way
>>
>>3208387
im sold
>>
>>3208387
It's pretty much the same as pointing out that a system that basically has a mini PS1 in it can play PS1 games.
>>
File: 2011-04-13_21-00-14_333.jpg (196 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2011-04-13_21-00-14_333.jpg
196 KB, 1600x1200
>play PS1 games on my PSP 3000

>something is not right

its just me or is the screen a bitsy too dark no matter what I do? is it the scanlines?
>>
>>3209239
If anything, the 3000's new screen provides backlighting that is too damn good. It's blinding me at the lowest setting.

If you are talking about weird colors, go to Color Space option and try the opposite setting.
>>
I want a portable for the same reason too, what about a "gaming" tablet, with a controller adapter, would that be good?
>>
I have a FAT PSP - the very first 1000 model. Best screen but not a fast enough CPU. I can forget about SNES emulation. What about PS1? Am I screwed? Also how do I get PS1 to work on my PSP? Any suggestions? I already have a SNES, GB, GBA, NES, Mega Drive emulator running on my PSP so I guess there is a good PS1 emulator out there as well or something else because Sony supported playing PS1 on it???
>>
How's the Vita for emulation?
I'd imagine it handles PS1 games better with the dual analogs.
>>
>>3206107
Anyone?
>>
>>3209563
The only thing new models added is more RAM, which is useless outside of N64 emus, which are useless.

Look up psx2psp

>>3209628
I don't have a Vita, but I really doubt the PSP mode can make use of both sticks.

>>3206107
I only know of the RA port, and I'm sure that works like complete ass, if you're lucky.
>>
>>3205642
Why are the prices for PSP so high? I can barely find some used ones under 50€ and they dont even look that great it's easily 100+ for one "good as new"
>>
>>3209769
Probably because idiots like you still buy them for some fucked up reason.
>>
File: VxnUMpK.jpg (104 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
VxnUMpK.jpg
104 KB, 500x500
>>3209563
Best screen? I also have a 1000 and it's the most dogshit screen I've ever suffered in a handheld. It ghosts so much I can't tell what the fuck is going on, it's like playing a goddamn Monet painting.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.