[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is the best RPG on the SNES and is a top-five all time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (498 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
498 KB, 1024x768
This game is the best RPG on the SNES and is a top-five all time RPG. It is also better than Paper Mario and any Final Fantasy game other than Tactics.
>>
>>3205323
yes
>>
>>3205323
No.
>>
>>3205323
Nah
>>
Ha ha ha. HA HA HA.

I think he's serious!
>>
>>3205323
>This game is the best RPG on the SNES
False.

>is a top-five all time RPG
Maybe.

>better than Paper Mario
True.

>better than and any Final Fantasy game other than Tactics
False.
>>
>>3205323
>top-five all time RPG
There is no version of this list that any two people can agree on.
>>
>>3205582
>Final Fantasy
>Dragon Quest
>Mother
>Mario
>Pokemon

There, top five /vr/ series. Pick your favorites, and that's your list.
>>
>>3207161
Forgot Suiokoden.
And Phantasy Star for the Sega babies.
And Ys.
>>
>>3207171
And SaGa.
And Seiken Densetsu.
And Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>3207184
Agree with first two, but they didn't get any real exposure in the west. And CT is braindead easy.
>>
It's bretty gud op.
The timed hits make you feel more involved
>>3207171
Sega is a man's console
>>
>>3207161
I won't tell you these games are my favourites, but just to show how delusional your comment is consider that people's favourites, off the top of my head, may as well be any of these:

Albert Odyssey series
Breath of Fire series
King's Field series
Fallout series
Soul Blazer/Illusion of Gaia/Terranigma
Tales of Phantasia
Star Ocean
Brave Fencer Musashi
Crystalis
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Alundra
Vagrant Story

As well as the others already listed

Not to mention someone's favourite RPG could be a game that really stretches the definition of RPG getting into titles like Zelda II, Guardian Heroes or Elemental Gearbolt.
>>
>>3207204
>CT is easy meme
You never get tired, don't you?
>>
>>3207734
I love Chrono Trigger, but he's not wrong. There's like three, maybe four hard bosses in the entire game.
>>
>>3207161
Pokemon is shit tho
>>
>>3205323
Sure
>>
wii u eshop when? euros need not apply
>>
>>3205323
Yes to all.
>>
File: Chrono.Cross.full.539627.jpg (299 KB, 1040x730) Image search: [Google]
Chrono.Cross.full.539627.jpg
299 KB, 1040x730
>>3209265
I also love Chrono Trigger, but I played Chrono Cross for the first time (didn't finish it, got around 30 hours into it) and it had everything I liked about Trigger, but with an battle system that was more in depth and better realized in my opinion.

For the people that dislike Chrono Trigger, would you say that Chrono Cross is a better example of what you value in a turn-based RPG (for the most part I mean, aside from the mass of characters and somewhat convoluted story, both of which I don't personally mind).
>>
A more difficult question: Is Super Mario RPG the best looking game on the SNES?
>>
>>3205323
>better than paper Mario
I felt that TTYD was better
>>
>>3209926
I think the DKC series handled prerendering a little better, but it's up there
>>
>>3209926
That's an easy no, actually. It looked less detailed and impressive than other games that used the same technology (Like Donkey Kong Country 2 or Killer Instinct), and I personally prefer raw pixel art than pre-rendered 3D. But everyone to it's own. The fact is that it's still a gorgeous looking game for the most part and it had some really interesting character designs. I wish it explored more with its scenery, though.
>>
>>3205323
It's not even in the top 10 RPGs for the platform.
>>
File: well....gif (2 MB, 431x260) Image search: [Google]
well....gif
2 MB, 431x260
>>3205323
>>
>>3205323
You had me until you said Final Fantasy. I'd honestly play 3,4,5,6,7,8 >>> Mario RPG.
>>
>>3210893

and Tactics as well;

Tactics > 3 > 5 > 6 > 7 > 8
>>
>>3209965
>TTYD was better
You aren't wrong.
>>
>>3210897
The remake of Let us Cling Together surpassed the original FFT in "fun" -- there's less variety of skills (I.e. no lancers, no binding weapon attacks, limited speed manipulation...) but the job levelling system is perfect, the skill system is more interesting long-term than JP, and magic has its own interesting style (like using TP to create and AoE spell, finishing moves...).

I never thought I'd say that. FFT is mint. It just needs a good translation.
>>
>>3210959
I guess we have different definitions of fun. Fun for me is when I can make my guys do cool stuff. Playing the LUCT remake, I never at any time felt like my guys were doing cool stuff. Everything about the ability system was kind of unintuitive, all my abilities felt weak, and I was generally miserable the whole time.
>>
>>3205323
>Final Fantasy IV
>Final Fantasy V
>Final Fantasy VI
>Live A Live
>Bahamut Lagoon
>Secret of Mana
>Seiken Densetsu 3
>Breath of Fire
>Breath of Fire 2
>EarthBound
No, it's not the best.

Also, why the fuck are there so many RPGs on SNES?
>>
Not even close. Fun game, but way overrated.
>>
Just beat it today.
It took nearly 15 years, but I beat Smithy. My friends can now acknowledge that I can beat SNES games without carrying me.
>>
It's definitely one of my favorite RPGs.

But do you think it's better than Paper Mario TTYD too?
>>
File: IMG_1326.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1326.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>3205323
>>
>>3212654
Yes

Superstar saga > SMRPG > TTYD > PM (64) >>>>>>>>>>>>>> partners in time
>>
>>3205323
Yes, it's better than the FF series because it doesn't have any faggoty emo characters.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.