[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Super Mario Kart
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: maxresdefault.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
Playing through it. Played it a lot as kid, but was never good enough to do GP. Just beat 100cc Special Cup.

I play as Koopa. Who do you use? What kinds of differences are there to the characters.
>>
>inb4 OMG dis game is so slow, it aint got BLAZT PROCESSING xD xD xD
>>
Man fuck this game it's so slow it aint even got BLAST PROCESSING
>>
In all reality I used Koopa, he was the lightest cart iirc but it's been quite a long time since I played it.
>>
I always used Koopa and i was really mad as kid, wjen he wasnt on the N64!
Game and Soundtrack were really cool, dont know what so say its a classic racing game.
>>
Why did everybody use Koopa?
>>
>>3205712
For me he's the most controllable. Speedruns seem to favor DK Jr., but he's too hardcore for me.
>>
ITS

ALL

ABOUT

THE

TOAD
>>
It was a goddamn trial, but I beat 150cc Special Cup with Koopa Troopa on my cart once. Disappointed nothing really changed though
>>
>>3205750
Toad has a slightly higher top speed, but Koopa Troopa has slightly better grip and can powerslide a bit longer before spinning out so I always use him
>>
>>3205804
>I always use him

That makes two of us.
>>
Cornering someone and hitting him 3 times in a row while using a Star in the Balloon PVP mode, is absolutely the most hilarious shit that has ever happened to me on the SNES.

We used to make tournaments with my brother/cousins. So many good memories.
>>
>>3205052
Luigi is my main in this game. Bowser and DK were too hard to steer with while Toad and Koopa weren't as fast as the others.
>>
>>3205052
I played the hell out of this game as a kid. I beat every cup in every class with every character.

Koopa is good when starting out when you make a lot of mistakes and need that quick acceleration to recover. But when you know all the tracks and how to use powerslides correctly, Bowser will run laps again the AI.
>>
File: Mario Kart Tiers.png (296 KB, 1480x1820) Image search: [Google]
Mario Kart Tiers.png
296 KB, 1480x1820
I could never get the hang of Super Mario Kart. Something about it always felt really slippery to me.

I got right into Mario Kart 64 though, made a tier list from a lot of game mechanics testing.
>>
>>3205819
I once got a star, used it then got a feather which I used to jump right on top of my buddy blowing all 3 of his balloons in an instant, great times
>>
>>3205912
gangster

>>3205909
too far, it's just a game
>>
Another thing I learned in this game, from playing against my buddy who loved using red shells in battle mode. If you do a L/R hope at JUST the right moment, the shell will miss and do a big loop to try and hit you again. I once dodged the same red shell 3 times before it finally hit a wall. I also once made a red shell hit my buddy who fired it, cause I was behind him and going fast enough that when it arced around to hit me I cut in front of him and he got nailed by it
>>
>>3205052
I do a lot of time trials, my family has used DK Jr. for that for years.
Koopa is cool and best character
best Mario Kart yet
>>
>>3205052
Yoshi was my main man for this game. I used to love Yoshi as a character until Yoshi Story ruined him. You know what this game did that no Mario Kart has done since? The custom victory scenes after winning a cup. I played as each character just to see what would happen. They did stuff like that in Mario Tennis, too, they should bring it back to Mario Kart.

>>3205909
>Something about it always felt really slippery to me.
>I got right into Mario Kart 64 though
Really? I feel the exact opposite. The physics in MK64 piss me off so much. You turn left, but your kart swings out to the right. I always had trouble dodging shit in the road, nothing felt natural. Sometimes the best way to dodge an obstacle is to turn towards it.
>>
>>3205720
Speedruns tend to favour Bowser more as he's less likely to lose momentum colliding with another kart. TAS runs don't have this issue so they use DK Jr.
>>
>>3205052
I used to play as Mario.
I think he and luigi have some small differences.

Donkey Kong/Bowser are heavier, their acceleration sucks but their final speed is awesome. Also, they tend to powerslide more in turns.

Koopa/Toad are the lighteweight. Good accel bad final speed. Not prone to powersliding.

Yoshi and princess I can't remember, they're lighter than mario/luigi and heavier than koopa/toad.
>>
>>3205909
>>3205052
Yoshi master race

he even has the best track results theme
>>
>>3205052
Mario&Luigi: middle ground

Yoshi&Princess: best accel, worst speed and average handling

Koopa&Toad: best handling, middle accel and speed

Bowser&DK: best speed, worst handling and accel
>>
>>3206223
I use dk jr all the time
>>
It's frustrating that there's no option the change the CC for Time Trial. 150cc handles way different than 100, and Special Cup's a bitch.

This is one of the few games where the computer legitimately cheats. sometimes you'll shoot a red shell at them and it'll just circle and circle and eventually disappear. And thank god they got rid of the fixed items for the AI in layer games. Koopa's rival is Luigi, which means he'll usually win if you don't. His item is the star, and sometimes he'll be invincible for full laps, just spamming his item.
>>
I could only use Toad, he was the only one whose grip level suited me
>>
File: Prinny.png (24 KB, 203x200) Image search: [Google]
Prinny.png
24 KB, 203x200
>>3205052
>yfw you accidentally discovered how to intentionally shrink your racer
>>
The manual actually has good info about the drivers. I always assume everything will be like DKR, where it's basically a scale from good acceleration/good handling/low top speed to bad acceleration/bad handling/high top speed.
>>
>>3206257
another difference is how your driver reacts to bumps.
Toad and Koopa when touched by bowser get bumped to another dimension because they're lightweight
>>
>>3206664
My brother did this the FIRST time we played the game. I remember it distinctly. We didn't know what he did, we thought you started races small and had to get a mushroom like a regular Mario game, then we got the mushroom, and all it did was a speed boost. I was confused as fuck for weeks until I figured out the trick on my own.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.