[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Wonderswan family of handheld game systems worth collecting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: wonderswan-spot05.jpg (173 KB, 800x504) Image search: [Google]
wonderswan-spot05.jpg
173 KB, 800x504
Is the Wonderswan family of handheld game systems worth collecting for? Of the non-gameboy handhelds it had a good run, but does the library have a lot of gems that set it apart from the Gameboy like the Game Gear did, or is it mostly weebshit that isn't interesting unless you're the type of person who knows Japanese?
>>
If you don't know Japanese then most of the games are unplayable. There are some neat options if you don't know it but not that many. I'd say buy one only for the novelty and maybe for a unique port or two, unless you can read moon, in which case it's got some interesting things worth going for.
>>
>>3204119
>is x worth collecting for?
That stupid question again. Why don't you just see for yourself? A full romset for that thing is like 200mb.
>>
>or is it mostly weebshit that isn't interesting unless you're the type of person who knows Japanese?
Why are you people even on this site?
>>
Are there any platformers worth playing on the Wonderswan? I dont know Japanese do I can't play any RPGs / Strategy games.
>>
>>3204119
Ignoring all shitposting aside, yeah sure, a huge number of the library is limited to those that are able to understand Japanese, but the console itself does have plenty of exclusives for it, most of the part since Bandai themselves had a lot of IPs that they could utilise.

As a result you've got a couple of One Piece games on there, 1 being a fighting game and the rest being like dokapon ish, some Gundam games on there, and others.

They also had a couple of squaresoft games ported to it, but you might prefer the GBA port of that instead.

Some games that require little to no knowledge of the language include the first two Digimon games on the system, the first being a tamagotchi styled one, and the second being a rare english copy of Anode and Cathode Tamers only released in Korea for some reason.

Buffers evolution is another one that has its UI more or less entirely in english and is a platformer.

And finally, Gunpey, an interesting puzzle game where you connect lines and stuff.

I'm pretty sure there's a larger list out there, but that's all I can think of right now. I hope this helps.
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (19 KB, 281x301) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
19 KB, 281x301
>>3205105
>because you're in too deep
>>
>>3204297
They exist but frankly the D-Pad isn't very good, I Don't think you'd want to play them on the actual system.
>>
>all these deleted posts
for what purpose?
>>
>>3205604
good call on the jan/mod, shit had gone overboard
>>
File: 1457581221459.jpg (69 KB, 735x553) Image search: [Google]
1457581221459.jpg
69 KB, 735x553
>Mods finally doing their jobs
Based.
>>3204119
And to answer your question, the WonderSwan is going to fall more into the latter. Unlike the GB & GG, WSN isn't exactly filled with games varying in levels of import friendliness. Many of the games are very menu & text-heavy, which is probably attributed to the fact that the the system has a higher resolution screen so Japanese text, especially large kanji characters are easier to decipher.

Also the system is seriously lacking in fan-translation patches...So if you have no desire to learn moon and don't want to play anime/manga/toku licensed games (which makes up a good chunk of the library, which is a given since it's from Bandai) then I'd pass on the WonderSwan.
>>
>>3205604
Oh, sorry, were you attached to debates about how useful learning Japanese is, as argued by complete raving idiots?
>>
>>3205614
Thanks. I guess it's more something I'd pick up as a novelty if I saw a really good steal on one, but it doesn't really sound like something I would play very much. The Neo Geo Pocket Color sounds like it's probably a better choice for someone looking for a handheld more obscure than the Gameboy and Game Gear since the games are more arcade-focused.
>>
>>3205194
Isn't the dpad basically four segmented buttons?
>>
>>3205608
A bit sloppily done. Looks like my post got caught in the fray. :(

To quickly reiterate, If you're not into RPGs or visual novels, most of the library either runs in English or doesn't require much Japanese to play; just the hurdle of figuring out which menu items are "start" and "options."
>>
>>3205645
Nintendo patented the cross shaped D-pad. not many controllers have them.
>>
>>3205702
same, god the janitors here are sloppy. i see decent threads get deleted all the time.

>>3205707
amusingly gunpei yokoi both invented the cross dpad and designed the wonderswan

also, pretty good database of wonderswan games with categories:
https://refuge.tokyo/wonderswan/wonderswan.html
>>
>>3205138
:D
>>
Google and a million ducks couldn't help me, but perhaps you can, /vr/.

I would like to read a copy of the instruction manual for the Wonderswan version of Densha De Go. A manual for the sequel would also be acceptable.

Failing that, anyone's notes on the control scheme (in Japanese or English) would be super-cool.
>>
ws、電車でGO、
操作方法>・・・説明書より

Yボタン下・・・非常ブレーキです。

Xボタン上・・・押す度にマスコンレベルがダウンします。

Xボタン下・・・押す度にマスコンレベルがアップします。

Xボタン左・・・警笛を鳴らします。指示が出たら、すぐに鳴らしてください。

Xボタン右・・・マスコンのレベルを0にします。

スタートボタン・・・ゲームスタート。ゲーム中でのポーズ機能。

Aボタン・・・押す度に制動力が増加し、ブレーキが強く利きます。

Bボタン・・・押す度に制動力が減少し、ブレーキの利きが弱くなります。

※初期設定なので、オプションで変更するとこも可能です。
>>
I don't speak moon. Why aren't there translation patches by nerdy translation teams? no love for the wonderswan?
>>
Hope this helps, OP.

https://youtu.be/zEnTxL3TT9I
>>
>>3211142
We kinda need Wonderswan flashcart for that. Or just some decent repro carts.
>>
File: moefist.jpg (67 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
moefist.jpg
67 KB, 720x720
>>3209078
Excellent, thank you very much!
>>
>>3211142
Only some, and even then only two were completed, SaGa and Dicing Knight.

Honestly I'd look for people to help out with the translation if it wasn't for the fact that I have no idea how I should start the thing.
>>3209078
My Japanese isn't really all that good, but I'll try my best:

Densha De Go controls:

Y Down: Hard Brakes
X Up: Decreases Mascon(dunno what this is) levels
X Down: Increases Mascon levels
X Left: Sounds the horns. Do this to signal departure.
X Right: Moves Mascon levels to 0
Start Button: Start/Pause the game
A Button: Increases speed
B Button: Decreases speed.

*You can change these in the Options.

>>3211161
There's two options for the wonderswan flashcart:

The first is WonderDog, a Japanese flashcart for the WS recently released. Downside to that is that it requires the dumper for it which costs about the same price for the WonderDog, about 8500 yen, and that's not including international shipping from Japan.

The second option is the Wonderswan Flashmasta. It's an upcoming flashcart made by the dude who made the Neo Geo Pocket /Color Flashmasta, a flashcart for the NGPC.

It will be having a mSD slot as well as a miro USB port.

Downside to this is that it is still in a beta phase of sorts, and some interested parties have preordered the initial version to test it and help improve it. You might want to wait a little for it to improve for now.
>>
It was also Gunpei Yokoi's last project before the "accident"
>>
>>3213070
Just mentioned it and he already uploaded the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngxPxHCnQ5I
>>
File: Clipboard01.jpg (6 KB, 192x84) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.jpg
6 KB, 192x84
>>3213090
>"accident"

What happened?
>>
>>3213105
>in before 7 Yakuza Spirits
>>
>>3213105
He died ;_;7
>>
>>3213070
Sweet, too bad it'll cost 10-times more than I paid for my pink WonderSwan. (yes, pink, it was much cheaper and looks more like silver for some reason). That was also like 3-years back, so prices of games exploded as well. I got complete FF1 for like 8€ including shipping from Moonland.
>>
How's the wonderswan emulator for DS?
>>
I really wanted to buy the Korean version of the one Digimon game that had an English translation, it came with an orange colour to match Taichi's Digivice. A few years ago they were so cheap on eBay. I wish I didn't miss out. There's a few Digimon fighting games too if for some reason I'm no the only one who still loves Digimon.
>>
>>3213589
Then start now before it gets worse!

It really is an interesting system. Besides, I have a feeling that people got this JUST for Digimon. I know cuz I got it for that reason. So much Digimon exclusives on this.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.