[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turbo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (110 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110 KB, 640x480
When is it cheating to use a turbo function, and when is it just plain good sense?
>>
In shmups that don't have turbo as standard, probably always.

That doesn't stop me though. If there was a way to keep the game as difficult as intended without pressing hundreds of times a minute, I'd go with that, but for now I'd rather not have RSI.
>>
>>3203735
>I'd rather not have RSI
Seconded. Who gives a fuck if you're just playing by yourself?
>>
>>3203752
Kinda ruins some games
>>
It's undisputedly cheating and completing negates your 1cc attempt.
>>
Playing Lemmings on the SNES.

It's basically required if you don't have a book or something to read.
>>
JRPGs
>>
File: asciipadsnin.jpg (32 KB, 400x311) Image search: [Google]
asciipadsnin.jpg
32 KB, 400x311
I loved my turbo controllers and the fact that I didn't have to break my fingers to play some shmups. Also, some were goat for fighting games. They'd never last long though, no matter how well I treated them. Pic related was one of my favorite controllers, I'd wreck everyone in mk and street fighter with it.
>>
>>3203735
>>3203779
It usually makes me feel like the game should have been designed better. I love the heck out of Fantasy Zone, but it does feel like it messes with the balance when I'm shooting constantly. But the alternative of having to mash a button the entire time I'm playing isn't much better.

I don't know what a good solution is though.
>>
>>3203732
I only use them for shoot 'em ups where you're like a vehicle and you gotta shoot things that come at you. Part of how hard your video game is shouldn't be a test of hitting one button 99% of the game.
I won't use them for things like Snake torture scene in MGS
>>
>>3203795
> I'd wreck everyone in mk and street fighter with it

i bet you were the kid that always blamed the control pad and on top of that had total bitch fits resulting in controllers off the wall

"dont worry we all know that 1 guy"
>>
File: arcadestickrat.gif (149 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
arcadestickrat.gif
149 KB, 500x281
if i'm using good arcade parts I don't mind but otherwise I get tired.
>>
>>3203795
Outside of doing the Hard versions of Lightning Kicks, Hundred Hand Slap or Blanka's electricity turbo controllers are pretty shit for fighting games if you actually know what you're doing. If you were actually wrecking people with turbo your friends are real shitters.
>>
>>3203796
i know that feel.

With some games it doesn't matter that much, I can give my thumb a rest with turbo or do a no-turbo run and it feels like the same game. But in Fantasy Zone turbo is like ultra-God mode, but then again I don't want to cripple my thumb or shake my 3DS constantly so I feel trapped.
>>
>>3203912
I would like to see a game like this where you can shoot as much as you want and have an option between turbo or manual (A is normal B is turbo shot for example) but where it takes the shots that miss into account somehow. Maybe to lower your score each time you shoot and don't hit an enemy. So you could turbo through if you want, but there would be reward for playing more precisely.
>>
The 3DS classic version of TwinBee and Xevious let you add turbo functions and you can even regulate the turbo speed, as well as the in-game speed. TwinBee goes pretty wild when you have speed on max and also get the in-game speedups.

In the case of Xevious, autofire doesn't always make it easier, enemies dodge very quickly and shots have to be calculated.
>>
>>3203795
In my adult life I started using this controller again. It's a bad controller anon
The raised up shoulder buttons are more difficult to rest your fingers on for extended periods of times, and the other buttons have no give or grip so it feels like you're slamming marbles against brick with your finger tips.
>>
>>3203732
>>3203735
I'm backing this anon here, but if you're going to play fantasy zone with turbo at least play the 3DS port because that has adjustable speeds.
>>
>>3203732
>When is it cheating to use a turbo function

Always.
>>
>>3203732
When it's not being used against another player.

That's my definition, anyway.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.