[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PC engine advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
Looking at buying one of these pieces of shit. I want to get into the PC engine scene and I'm fairly handy at repair, should I still dump an extra 150 and get a duo-r? Anyone have experience with these units? Also PC-cdrom general.
>>
Have you looked at the prices? These games are EXPENSIVE. I love the pc engine but holy fuck collecting for it.
>>
Just get a regular duo and recap it if you're confident about doing that kind of thing. Maybe replace the laser I don't think there's any other way they fail.
>>
>>3203135
is there a place where i can get busted (as in impossible to get working) units, preferably the full set (PCE, CD, Interface)

unusable units should be cheaper, right? not interested in repairs, want to use them for another project...
>>
>>3203146
Everything like that is worth something in parts
>>
>>3203154
even the cases?

how much the outer case parts would cost?
>>
File: 1457460025808.jpg (635 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1457460025808.jpg
635 KB, 1280x960
>>3203135
I bought a duo-r off ebay and although it looks like it's been well used the cd unit is the quietest out of all my cd based consoles.
>>
>>3203719
>sega kid likes homosex
>>
Since this thread exists, what should one expect to pay for a stock PC Engine; original or CoreGrafx? I'm in the market, but eBay prices are insane for what appears to be no reason.
>>
>>3203884
I was seeing them for ~$80-100 AUS. make sure you get one with a controller because they themselves go for nearly as much as the console. I got a duo-r recently for $230 AUS
>>
Random question: is PC Engine region free? Can it play Turbografx games or does that require a mod? Or vice versa with TG playing PCE games? I can't seem to get a straight answer on this
>>
>>3203942
cd games are but the chips are not, you can however buy converters to play on each system. The pc engine does detect north american hucards though so your converter needs to have region bypass too, the turbografx 16s dont bother to check.
>>
File: pcengine-logo-black.png (14 KB, 450x237) Image search: [Google]
pcengine-logo-black.png
14 KB, 450x237
>>3203942
it needs a mod as the pins are swapped. You can get a turbo everdrive which you can play the games from both systems on either system mod free.
CD games are region free though provided you have that region cd bios card or a duo with the bios on the pcb or the aforementioned turbo everdrive.
>>
>>3203964
Newest Turbo Everdrive can be used as System Cards 1, 2, and 3. Not Arcade however. Worth it just for that.
>>
>>3203723
Can you read Jap?
Give translation please?
>>
>>3203138
Best bet is to just buy an Everdrive. You'll never be able to find all of the best games at a reasonable price anyway, but at least with a flash drive you'll be able to play them and get some use out of your console.
>>
>>3203138
>Have you looked at the prices?
Yeah. About 5 bucks for a stack of discs.
>>
Not all PC Engine games are ridiculously expensive, there are a ton of great ones that can be had relatively cheap. There are a couple dozen both hucard and cd however that are ridiculous. I second the Turbo Everdrive though. Especially for those "special" versions of certain games and for some translations.
I own probably 20 PC Engine games in total along with the TED and I just buy the ones I like as I find them cheap.
>>
>>3204860
>Not all people have standards
>>
Does anyone know if the 3 button and 6 button PC engine gamepads have the same or different Dpad as the standard 2 button controller?
>>
>>3203135
My nigga get a Turbo Duo, its the best PC engine console yo.
>>
>>3207353
Duo-R is the best model to get

the OG Duo is known for faulty caps
>>
>>3203135
The prices on pc engines went up about 25% the last 2 years. Also, they seem like they are in worse condition also.
>>
>>3207451
If you're good with a soldering iron the caps can be replaced without too much difficulty. The Sega Game Gear was in the same boat, sadly. I'm going to be re-capping my Game Gear as soon as the new caps arrive.

The "Turbo Duo" model is a lot rarer because it's the American version of the PC Engine Duo. If you can find one at a price you're comfortable with then by all means go for it, however the if you can put up with the Japanese PC Engine colors and branding, and the need to mod it for region free play, the PC Engine Duo is much cheaper and even it costs a fair chunk of change.

People are finally recognizing what an underrated console the PC Engine / TG16 was, and now everyone wants one. Unfortunately that makes it significantly harder to get than when it was just this obscure console that no-one outside of Japan seemed to know about, and it's probably going to keep getting more expensive-- especially because a lot of re-sellers are only selling recapped and region modded units, so you can't do it yourself and save money. And it's not like these things show up at yard sales, either.
>>
>>3208183
if you get a turbo everdrive you don't need to region mod.
>>
>>3208242
That too. Region modding is only really necessary if you want to play Hu Cards.
>>
If you're handy at repair watch for broken units on eBay. It's almost always just the caps that go or the drive gear on white CD units.
I bought a non working super CD ROM and non working core 2 separately for about $150 - they both work fine now and I have access to the entire library.
Plus...I like the way they look together. Even if it is stupidly long.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.