[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Noone talks about Wonderboy anymore. I loved when the series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12
File: 2363107-sms_wonderboy_au.jpg (963 KB, 1560x2100) Image search: [Google]
2363107-sms_wonderboy_au.jpg
963 KB, 1560x2100
Noone talks about Wonderboy anymore.

I loved when the series evolved into Metroid-esque action-rpg.

Dragon's Trap on The Master System was a childhood favourite of mine and shat all over most of the NES library.

What's /vr's take on the series?
>>
> Well for starters it looks like the developers settled upon a fucking trainwreck for boxart.
>>
>>3202828
>inb4 twelve year olds who don't recognise SEGA's minimalist art style.

Dragon's Trap was one of the greatest 8-bit titles ever made. There's also a PC Engine version called Dragon's Curse.
>>
>>3202782
Haven't played yet, but I want to. I'm thinking of buying a Master System soon.

Since this is as good of thread as any to ask, has anyone used the FM sound mod with their American/Euro Master System? Does it work okay?
Or is getting a Powerbase FM Mini for my Genesis better?
>>
>>3203101
This man speaks the truth. It's a if not the reason to get a Master System.

The first game is fun too.
>>
For pure replayability Wonderboy is Sega's answer to SMB. My personal favorite in the series that i've played zillions of times. It's a better game than any Alex Kidd title and even though the NES has Adventure Island, Wonder Boy on the SMS has more levels and is the superior port.
>>
File: 0000.png (8 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
8 KB, 320x224
Anyone else like Monster Lair the best? I love shooting games, so it's my favorite in the series.
>>
All three Wonder Boy games are great. The Nes library honestly doesn't come close to the Master System.
>>3203114
Just get a Master System converter for your Mega Drive.
>>
>>3203295
Looks great but kinda lackluster IMO. Played it as a kid on the Megadrive.
>>
>>3203302
>The Nes library honestly doesn't come close to the Master System

I mean, if you like the Master System so be it but nobody is going to take you seriously if you make idiotic statements like this.
>>
>>3202782
afaik you can get on NES

Wonder Boy 1 by the name of: Adventure Island

Wonder Boy 2 by the name of Saiyuuki World (Jap only)

it seems like there was a license problem with weston and hudson. In the process of buying the Wonder Boy license, Sega just buy the name "wonder boy", but the game mechanics were "license free". So westone sell the license to hudson so they can make "Adventure Island" on NES.

Such an interesting gaming story imo
>>
>>3202782
Dragon's Trap was one of my childhood fav too. The sense of adventure was just great and I loved the RPG elements. Though I played it a few years ago and the world felt much smaller.

Monser Land was pretty good despite the floaty controls and more challenging too, which is a good thing.

Monster World IV seem to be pretty popular on /vr/ despite going back to a linear progression. You can only love the colorful graphics and ultra cute Asha and her pet.
>>
>>3203568
I always wondered about that as a kid. I'd see Adventure Island and think "Do Sega even know about this?!?!"
>>
>>3203101
>inb4
In after. It's not 'in before' if it's already happened.
>>
>>3203568
I forget to mention the PC Engine Version of WB3 called "Dynastic Hero". They only change the hero sprite.

Oh, and there's a bootleg version of the SMS games on brazil called: mônica. the games are:

Wonder Boy 2 - Mônica do castillo do dragao
Wonder Boy 3 - Turma da mônica en oresgate
Wonder Boy 4 - Turma da mônica da Tumba dos monstros
>>
>>3202828
Grid paper background.
Classy serif font.
Minimalist artwork.

I don't what your issue is desu senpai, because Sega's old box art was classic-Apple tier in terms of flawless design.
>>
File: alex_kidd_miracle_box_us.jpg (95 KB, 640x899) Image search: [Google]
alex_kidd_miracle_box_us.jpg
95 KB, 640x899
>>3202828
First time in a Master System thread?
>>
Wonderboy III on the Master System is 8-bit perfection.

Monster World III on the Megadrive was a great follow up. But favourite is probably Monster World IV - it may lack the open-world exploration of III but I preferred that because there less backtracking and the dungeon designs are a massive improvements.
>>
>>3203439
Honestly, the NES has maybe 6 games that appeal to me. The rest is garbage.
>>
>>3203741
The NES obviously had a far bigger library of games than the Sega MS, so the downside is there is a lot more trash.

Objectively speaking both systems had fantastic titles (no small freat for the MS considering most publishers were shackled to the NES exclusively because of Nintendo's outrageous licencing laws).

I don't see any need to hate on one system over the other. Takes me back to the playground battles of the late 80's/early 90's.
>>
>>3203748
I'm just stating a fact. To me the NES had a crap library.
>>
>>3203772

That's not a fact that's an opinion you retard.
>>
>>3203741
Git gud
>>
>>3203790
I said it is a fact that my opinion is that the NES has a crap library. Do they teach you to read in school or do you just try to pick it up yourself?
>>
The fucking titles of this series are confusing as fuck.

So first of all there's Wonderboy - released in the arcades and ported to the Sega MS.

Then there was a sequel, Wonderboy In Monsterland - released in the arcade and ported to the Sega MS.

Afterwards, Wonderboy III was released in the arcade and ported to the Sega Megadrive.

Things get confusing when a 3rd Sega MS game is released. This is called Wonderboy III - The Dragon's Trap but has nothing in common with Wonderboy III the arcade. It is, in fact, Monsterland II.

The Megadrive gets Wonderboy in Monsterland but is, in fact, Monsterland III.

Finally, the Megadrive gets Monsterland IV.

That's fucked beyond belief and I'm still not sure I have it right.
>>
>>3203816

Don't forget Adventure Island, which was the NES version of the first Wonder Boy game, which then spawned its own unrelated series.
>>
File: 1461617882304.png (342 KB, 512x499) Image search: [Google]
1461617882304.png
342 KB, 512x499
>>3203807
>>
>>3203824
>furrytopia
>png
>filename

You reek of new, stupid and new.
>>
>>3203807
>I said it is a fact that my opinion is that the NES has a crap library.

Bwahahaha wut?
>>
>>3203891
I don't think it is necessary to repeat written text. Why is /vr/ so full of AVGN fan morons these days?
>>
>>3203816
>>3203821
I can't figure this shit out but I really like the original arcade game and New Adventure Island on TG16.
>>
>>3203295
I loved the arcade of this when I was a kid. The big chunky graphics were very appealing.
>>
>>3203905
That's like, your opinion man.
>>
>>3203971
It's an observation stated in the form of a question.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (46 KB, 680x478) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
46 KB, 680x478
>>3203973
*whoosh*
Seriously? Go out and expose yourself to classic movies youngster
>>
>>3203980
Movies are shit. I hate them.
>>
>>3203816
>The Megadrive gets Wonderboy in Monsterland but is, in fact, Monsterland III.

No, it got Wonderboy in Monster World you shitlord.

It's not confusing if you're not retarded.
>>
>>3204110
Normally I like to think that the people on this board are a little more classy than the ogres who populate many of the other boards on 4chan.

Clearly this is not always the case.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Boy_in_Monster_World

Read the very 1st line you silly little cunt.
>>
>>3204121

He's right though, that's Wonder Boy in Monster WORLD not Monster LAND

two different games

Monster World 1 = Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Monster World 2 = Wonder Boy III: the Dragon's Trap
Monster World 3 = Wonder Boy in Monster World
Monster World 4

Wonder Boy 1 and 3 are the oddballs.

Hope that clears things up
>>
>>3204178
Thank you kind anon. Seems like very convoluted series.

And thats not including the Adventure Island versions, the PC Engine versions (called The Dynastic Hero I think) or the Brazil version which had another different character as the hero.

Holy fuck.
>>
>>3202782
Why didn't the snail get his own spin-off?
>>
>>3204289

Adventure Island and Monster World are so far removed that there's no need to even compare them. Adventure Island just started out as a Famicom port of the first Wonder Boy because Sega only obtained the license to the name or some shit.

Adventure Island = Wonder Boy 1
- then the Adventure Island series is its own series completely unrelated

Everything else is just ports with different characters, same exact games otherwise.
>>
Up until recently, I had the 1st dungeon theme from The Dragon's Trap as my ringtone. One of my all time favourite games.

https://youtu.be/l-DZxYAbEg4
>>
>>3202828
Master System boxes were an artform of their own.
>>
>>3202782
Honestly, I feel like Sega fucked up by not buying out the series as a whole and instead owning only the name wonder boy. but I agree with you about the quality of the series and there hasn't really been a bad wonder boy game. here's to hopes that monster boy is a good game. I mean you can play as the pig from wonderboy III so it's already pretty cool
>>
>>3204121

But how do you really feel?
>>
File: COVER-Adventure_Island.jpg (57 KB, 400x399) Image search: [Google]
COVER-Adventure_Island.jpg
57 KB, 400x399
>>3204329
Well....it doesn't completely stop there.....
But I agree aside from this one on the rest
>>
Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap is arguably the best game on the system.

SEGA were way ahead of the curve with the Metroid-style progression and RPG elements.
>>
File: 20160510_194743.jpg (554 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160510_194743.jpg
554 KB, 2048x1152
>>3204979
Playing it at this very moment (well... The Dragons Curse version)
>>
File: 47006_front.jpg (131 KB, 640x903) Image search: [Google]
47006_front.jpg
131 KB, 640x903
>>3204625
Not master system but who was the asshole that thought this design for Alex looked good?
>>
Is there a specific game that's the best to start with?
>>
>>3202782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL4HSiGvk68
>>
>>3205417
Battletoads
>>
>>3202782
Because it sucked.
>>
>>3203878
Not him, but what's wrong with .PNG? Are you on dial-up or something?
>>
File: THEMOREYOUKNOW.jpg (2 MB, 750x6571) Image search: [Google]
THEMOREYOUKNOW.jpg
2 MB, 750x6571
>>3205870
>>
>>3205417
Not really. You don't to play any of them in order. They're all self contained adventures.

However, Dragon's Trap begins with the end of Monster Land but its no big deal really.

Just play the best ones:

Dragon's Trap on Master System (Or the Dragon's Curse on PC Engine - same game with better graphics.)

Wonderboy In MonsterWorld on Genesis.

MonsterWorld IV on Genesis (never released in the west but you can get roms)
>>
>>3205931
So what? Doesn't answer why it's unacceptable to use png.
>>
>>3203568
The Japanese also have the Bikkuriman serirs which is wonderboy in Monsterland but with different sprites
>>
>>3205986
He's not saying it's unacceptable to use PNG, just that JPG would have better suited the image you posted.

On the other hand, you did post a screenshot of a furfag movie, the image being in no way humourous or very indicative of whatever emotion you were trying to convey, so I'm gonna have to agree that it's unacceptable. Next time post a better image if you have to.
>>
>>3205931
>What should you use?
>PNG
>Complex images like photographs if file size is not an issue
Doesn't seem like file size is an issue for the majority of us here. We're not downloading the photos to our hard drives typically. It just takes a milisecond longer to load for lossless quality when viewing them. So you ARE on dial-up or what?
>>
>>3205931
It's funny because that image should've been saved as a PNG and yet it's a JPG.
>>
File: wonderboyIII.gif (13 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
wonderboyIII.gif
13 KB, 320x224
I like Wonder Boy 1 and I prefer Hudson's Adventure Island games over the rest of the Wonder Boy series.
Dragon's Trap is alright, but I'd take Adventure Island III or IV over it any day, I just prefer more challenging platforming with shorter levels over a metroid-like.

I loved Monster's Liar and MWIV on the Genesis though.
>>
>>3206047
Not the same anon but I would argue that anons bunny pic does a good job of conveying the incredulous reaction to another anons baffling post.
>>
>>3206113
Posting a .gif that isn't animated?

Blasphemy! Should have used a .png.
>>
>>3206113
So which one was Monsters Lair again? Is that Wonderboy III the arcade game not the console version?
>>
>>3206389

I played it on Genesis
>>
>>3206132
I can't see any emotion in image, maybe because it's fucking animal that didn't evolve to convey emotions facially.

But hey I'm a dumb tripfag piece of shit
>>
>>3206389
Yes, Monster Lair is the self scrolling arcade game with the shmup levels, ported to the PC Engine and Mega Drive.
>>
>>3208238
Are you autistic or something?
>>
>>3208438
yes
>>
Wasn't there a collection released on the PlayStation 2 years ago?
>>
>>3208446
Hahaha, disregard that, I suck cocks
>>
>>3203807
>I said it is a fact that my opinion is that the NES has a crap library
Except that there's kind of a reason why more people have fun playing NES titles over SNES ones, and this is coming from a Genesis fanboy
>>
>>3209201
>>3208446
Go away, the real Sevenleaf might be a dumb tripwhore but at least she's entertaining.
>>
>>3209248
Fuck off.
>>
>>3209220
You're wasting your time trying to reason. His opinion is fact.
>>
I had at least two wb games back in the day. I'm sure I never completed any of them though. Sad.
>>
>>3209248
No I'm not, I'm a stupid attentionwhore who posts anime reaction images and goes into threads about not having friends and post obvious baits like "me and my Senpai played last night".

Honestly if HE droppes the trioxide and stop being so weeaboo I'd probably like them. HE has pretty good taste in games.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.