[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /vr/ think of Dragon Warrior 2? Just got the prince
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Dragon_Warrior_II.jpg (172 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_Warrior_II.jpg
172 KB, 256x369
What does /vr/ think of Dragon Warrior 2? Just got the prince of cannock and im having a blast
>>
I don't like it, but don't let that stop you from having fun.
>>
>>3202652
why don't you like it?
>>
>>3202645
Considered by many the black sheep of the series, prince of cannock is notorious for being useless. The story is it was rushed and the game ultimately wasn't tested enough leading to great balance issues. Prepare your anus for Rhone. May I ask what version you are playing?
>>
>>3202663
nes version
>>
>>3202672
That is where is Cannock is his worst, good luck. Also if you want to cheat there is a way to get infinite gold in the nes version, forgot how though.
>>
>>3202645
NES version is the worst version, and comes with all the clunkiness of playing an old DQ game. Story is... there. It's a minor improvement over the almost not there story of the original. Cryptic bullshit advice later in the game about the final area is useless and you'll basically need a guide to find the final boss behind hard to see locked doors and nonsense puzzles. The dungeon leading to Rhone has an infinite maze and ppitfalls that is somehow navigable by luck but is a bit tedious so you might need a guide. Final weapon is nigh impossible to find if you aren't looking for it, will probably need a guide.

A lot of the latter half of the game problems can be summarized as "you will probably need a guide."
>>
I enjoyed it quite a bit, even though a friend warned me of how rough it was. Maybe I was riding on the nostalgia of the half hour of it I played as a kid and the screenshots I remembered seeing in Nintendo Power.

I was disappointed that I couldn't find all the MacGuffins without having to consult a guide, but I didn't think Rhone was so bad.
>>
>>3203047
I'm with you. I like it. Probably my least favorite of the original series (III > I > IV > II), but still great. I like the really transitional nature of it; makes perfect sense between I and III.
>>
>>3203052
3>2>1>4
>>
>>3204193
I'm curious, why is IV the lowest for you? It's not my favorite either, but I know a lot of people put it just a little below III.
>>
>>3204231
it was just so boring and plain for me, I saw nothing innovative about it. I probably love 2 a lot due to it's difficulty and it is my fav ost
>>
>>3204193
4=3>2>1 for me, 4 is phenomenal and probably my personal favorite.
>>
2 is a fucked up game. Good luck trying to find all the Seals without looking up a guide.

It's literally not fucking possible, there's no hint anywhere in the game that's useful enough to find the Sun Seal.
>>
>>3204249
I agree. I'm also not super keen on chapters. I don't like the feeling of starting over a half dozen times in one game. The last chapter was alright, but I was burned out by the time I got there.

>>3204265
I played with a guide and don't remember it super well. Does anyone know if this is a product of shoddy translation, or was it like that on the Famicom, too?
>>
File: Only sadness and rage.png (75 KB, 520x360) Image search: [Google]
Only sadness and rage.png
75 KB, 520x360
One does not simply walk into Rhone.

Also one doesn't know what pain is until they get there.
>>
to do this I cannot wrap my head around why this series is so damn popular. It's so dry and boring.
>>
>>3204408
My biggest surprise came when one of the monsters there used the kamikaze spell.
>>
>>3204437
http://www.zonebooks.org/titles/JULL_INP.html

Sometimes blandness is comforting. I agree that they are a little bland, but I like how simple they are. Playing DQ1 is almost meditative. I don't want to play it all the time, but sometimes it's exactly what I want. I'd call it "quiet", but I think the word around here is comfy.

I also like older JRPGs like DQ I-IV, FF I-III, Mother 1, Zelda 1 & 2 because they are small and self contained. No DLC, no infinite loot-seeking, no massive mythology. They're knowable in a way that so many other games are not.
>>
>>3204437

That's because you played DQ1 on the NES and assumed the entire franchise is exactly like its most archaic game.

Play the DS port of DQ5 and you'll understand.
>>
>>3204554
WTF, DQ2 is still a lot like DQ1. And the series is very grindy.
>>
>>3202645
I loved DQ2. Such a huge step up from the first game that I also really love. Also, really is one of the best soundtracks in DQ.

Overworld song with your full party is one of my favroties ever. Right up there with 'Bein' Friends' from Mother.
>>
>>3202645
was playing the gameboy version, was enjoying it a lot, left it for a week and now i can't remember what i was supposed to be doing. can't bring myself to start over
>>
>>3206254
Travel and talk to everyone again.
>>
>>3206273
the last thing i remember is trying to get someone to knit something for someone or something similar. i think that might take a while to figure out
>>
File: fTTBLia.gif (997 KB, 500x200) Image search: [Google]
fTTBLia.gif
997 KB, 500x200
>>3206310
>>
Always wanted to try this series but I never seem to make the jump. Like others said, the blandness seems off-putting. I'm sure that goes away or isn't an issue at all. But making that initial commitment, I keep putting off.

The Toriyama art is great tho.

And whatever art this is >>3202663
>>
First half of the game is great - gets shittier when you have to look for the crests. Gets even shittier when you do get them and struggle through the endgame.

I couldn't get very far in the NES version, but I made it to the end on the Super Famicom one. Probably worth playing once at least.
>>
Great game, the nes version is the best, hope you like hard and unforgiving difficulty
>>
>>3202645
I don't really like it that much, but I could see why somebody would. I enjoyed the first game more overall when I started playing 1-3 a while back just because it doesn't feel like it drags on forever. I wasn't have that bad of a time in the game until the final area, but I just wasn't really enjoying myself. I just stopped at some point and never came back.
>>
>>3206337
Start with one of the more modern ones like Dragon Quest 5 or 7. I personally prefer the 3D w/ 2D sprite Dragon Quests the best (haven't played any of non /vr/ ones tho). It doesn't matter what order you play them in.
>>
File: disc2.jpg (45 KB, 550x290) Image search: [Google]
disc2.jpg
45 KB, 550x290
>>3209759
>3D w/ 2D sprite Dragon Quests the best
All one of them?
Anyway I would not recommend playing 7 first. Ya gotta know you really like DQ before committing to a 100 hour (if you're a speed demon) to 200 hour (if you're thorough) game.

5 on the other hand is a great choice. Short & sweet, SNES graphics are a big step up from the NES games graphically and nice game specific gimmicks.
>>
>>3204265
>playing without the original documentation

Found the pleb
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (136 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
136 KB, 1440x1080
>>3202645
>Dragon Warrior
i liked Dragon Knight III (Knights of Xentar) more
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.