[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any old bongs remember Ocean software?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17
Any old bongs remember Ocean software?
>>
File: images (1).jpg (38 KB, 307x479) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
38 KB, 307x479
They made some cassette msx games my dad owns

Pic related is a pretty good game. Shame ocean in the 16 bit era and beyond basically meant bad games
>>
>>3202526
I had that game for the Spectrum.

The game was actually only HALF the arcade game.

The other half of the game was released as Hunchback II.
>>
File: 1465107-midnight_resistance2.jpg (386 KB, 800x1109) Image search: [Google]
1465107-midnight_resistance2.jpg
386 KB, 800x1109
This game was amazing at the time.
>>
Responsible for the awful Addams Family NES game, among others.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZBDNQ3gas

And on

And on

And on

And Ariston
>>
>>3202962
The Amiga / Snes / Genesis versions of this game are decent, though.
>>
>>3202567
That was a super conversion from the Arcade. In fact it's probably better without that messed up scrolling on the arcade version. What was up with that?

Anyway, I remember Ocean from their C64 days, they could be hit and miss with their stuff.
>>
>>3202514
Old amerifag remembers how their Amiga ports were less shit than US Gold.
>>
>>3202985
>>
>>3202985
I feel this track was composed by somebody who had no intention of making it the Robocop theme. Like Ocean just snatched it up on a whim. Seems closer to Robocop Vice, which is something I just realized I wanted.
>>
>>3202514
SNES Jurassic Park was great
>Mr. Grant!
>>
>>3202962
The Genesis version more than made up for it.
>>
>>3202985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUVs7vXNZiw

Man, that advert was about as A E S T H I C as it got.
>>
>>3203096
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHPqYtb2VoY
ranch or cool ranch?
>>
File: robocop_vice_by_reyyyyy-d7pj8ck.jpg (287 KB, 1024x663) Image search: [Google]
robocop_vice_by_reyyyyy-d7pj8ck.jpg
287 KB, 1024x663
>>3203076
Apparently you're not alone.
>>
File: Picture 2.png (313 KB, 479x349) Image search: [Google]
Picture 2.png
313 KB, 479x349
>>3202985
>not even the best robocop track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1AeBgalFZk
>>
>>3203140
/vr/ is pretty slow dont worry dude

>WATER world
>presented by OCEAN
oooh i get it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfRf9eSvMrk
>>
>>3203151
Some of the best music on snes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brd5PltzXSo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm9eUj33D0E
>>
Ocean's loading screen music is burned into my childhood.

https://youtu.be/c7zv0bCJg_E
>>
>>3202567
is this anything like the mega drive game? That one controls really weirdly.
>>
>>3202514
sure. the games wernt too good
>>
>>3203134
stuff like this makes me wish I had a commodore
>>
Ocean games? Their movie licenses all seemed to have the same pattern.

Level #1: Platforming section
Level #2: Racing section
Level #3: Puzzle section
Level #4: Racing section
Level #5: Platforming section
>>
File: Top 20 Computer Hits by Ocean.jpg (69 KB, 458x320) Image search: [Google]
Top 20 Computer Hits by Ocean.jpg
69 KB, 458x320
Had these bad boys with my Amstrad. Loved Head Over Heels, Yie Ar Kung Fu and Green Beret
>>
>>3203781
Ahhh had a few of these myself. Arkanoid and Legend Of Kage were great.

Which Batman game was it? The Head Over Heels isometric one or the more comic booky one?
>>
File: jurassic_park-143779-2.jpg (90 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
jurassic_park-143779-2.jpg
90 KB, 500x448
>>
File: Ocean_Loader_Rambo_II.gif (26 KB, 384x272) Image search: [Google]
Ocean_Loader_Rambo_II.gif
26 KB, 384x272
>>3203531
Those loading screens are pure nostalgia.
>>
Last Rites was cool and the lighting effects were cool and the levels were *kisses finger tips* terrible mazes that killed all interest in continuing
>>
>>3202514
I remember their horrible games and am glad they're no longer a publisher/developer.
>>
>>3203961
Forgot about MobyGames for a minute
>>
The only decent Ocean game I played was Super Widget on the SNES. It was really corny, but I'd say it's the best they made.
>>
File: Head_over_heels_cover_art.jpg (47 KB, 300x380) Image search: [Google]
Head_over_heels_cover_art.jpg
47 KB, 300x380
Will always love Ocean for this game.
>>
>>3203081
Muh nigga
>>
File: Mr._Nutz_SMD_cover.png (249 KB, 277x392) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Nutz_SMD_cover.png
249 KB, 277x392
Was playing pic related a couple of days ago, niceseeming Castle of Illusion clone with nice graphics and music for an MD game until I found dying throws you right back to the start of a level without continue points. And they're huge.

Really dig the Addams Family on SNES too but it also suffers from being super goddamn hard.

Really used to dig Pang and Toki by Ocean on the Amiga - both far better than the arcade versions. Also the Batman and Lethal Weapon movie tieins on the Amiga rocked.
>>
>>3204819
Being a C64 owner, I used to drool over the Amiga version of Batman 89 like it was the Holy Grail.
>>
>>3204819
>Really dig the Addams Family on SNES too but it also suffers from being super goddamn hard.
How is it hard? This game is very fair on challenge, specially considering you have an awful lot of lives to collect at the start, and when you die, the game usually sends you back to just a few tiles before the point you died so you can just keep going without worrying. Later on, when you beat certain bosses, you gain an extra heart container, making it even easier. I'm not sure about the Genesis version, but the same things can be said about the Amiga version.
>>
>>3204943

There are three Addams' Family games on the SNES. Maybe he's referring to another game.
>>
>>3203081
>SUCKER !!
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 443x332
Remember playing pic related at a parents friends place with their kids whenever I would go there. Was fun, but would get bored of it after half an hour or so.
>>
File: 101762.png (76 KB, 383x272) Image search: [Google]
101762.png
76 KB, 383x272
>>3205083

The music by Martin Galway is ace.
>>
File: 101777.png (20 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
101777.png
20 KB, 320x200
>>3205083

A more serious redo of the loader screen on c64.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_Software
>>
>>3206101
Thanks anon.

Would never have crossed my mind to google the fucking thing.

We're lucky you're here.
>>
I made the mistake of buying Jurassic Park over Super Metroid.

Truth is, I wouldn't have minded it as much if it had a save system. Even a fucking password system.
>>
>>3206161
I believe Ocean threw Jurassic Park together in just 6 months. Not bad considering.
>>
>>3206139
i stopped short of lmgtfy

wouldnt want to seem patronising anon

:)
>>
>>3202985

That Robocop theme is pretty much the same as the Speccy one that was done a couple of years ealier and is one of my all time favorite themes

But yeah, Ocean, one of the big companies back in the day, film licenses out the ass and multi-loading levels

tl;dr please rewind tape and press play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os57CXh6COw
>>
>>3204819
Played through the unreleased (though it may have been for Amiga) Mr Nutz 2 prototype on MD via emulator and wow. It's Sanic minus the gotta go fast and a lot of Marble Zone-esque platforming, an interesting recollectable hitpoints gimmick when you get hit, and the overworld/stage select feeling like a mini Zelda game with characters to chat to and chests to open. Was mostly by the Mega Turrican team which is an indication.

No clue why this wasn't released cus it's great fun. Nutz is just another dumb face in a sea of platform mascots and the first game didn't stand out enough despite being solid.
>>
>>3206829
Never played Mr Nutz but figured it was a Sonic ripoff.

A lot of those 'critterz with attitude' seemed to appear at the same time. Bubsy the bobcat, Aero the Acrobat, Zool and more.
>>
>>3203070
What game?
>>
>>3203781
Shit, that brings back memories!
>>
Did they do Daley Thompson's decathlon?
That must have been the most copied game ever!
>>
>>3206179
Normal time for a SneS game.
>>
>>3209596
It was a complete ripoff of Konami's Track & Field.

Ocean payed for Thompson's licence before the 84 Olympics. They got it for a bargain because he wasn't a big name yet.

After his Olympic triumph, sales of the game went through the roof and Ocean made some serious bank - it helped to set them up as a major software house.

Ironically, because Thompson was an amateur athlete, he didn't receive a penny from the games sales.
>>
>>3209705
Most Snes games took a lot longer to make than Genesis games, anon.
>>
>>3209991
thats cuz snes had higher standards
>>
>>3202514
yes
>>
They had some decent ports on the NES
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.