[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are these ports worth a damn? it's a lot cheaper than getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9
File: Ffchronicles.jpg (35 KB, 420x383) Image search: [Google]
Ffchronicles.jpg
35 KB, 420x383
are these ports worth a damn?

it's a lot cheaper than getting the originals.
>>
Loading Times.
>>
>>3202232
They're great, almost no loading times.
Highly recommend.
>>
>>3202232
If you're a purist you'd probably want to play the SNES releases - the loading times and FMVs on the PSX are brutal.

If you're not a purist you should probably be emulating anyways.
>>
Four is good, at least I think it's fine.
Holy shit that CT port though, the delay in between fights will drive you nuts. See, this was how I first played CT so it wasn't a big deal, but man if you've played the game elsewhere then try this version, you'll be pissed.
>>
>>3202232

what i never got is why they call it FF chronicles but put chrono trigger on it
>>
>>3202251

The same reason they called SaGa and Seiken 1 Final Fantasy games.
>>
>>3202256

>"if the gaijin think its Final Fantasy it'll sell more!!"

japanese jews i swear
>>
>>3202263
>japanese jews i swear
>>
>>3202245
>>3202248
>>3202249
>m-muh loading times!
Holy shit, I forgot this board is autistic as fuck when it comes to anything that takes >3 seconds to load.
Just get it on PSN if the loading times bother you so much.
>>
>>3202309

Dude, loading times are bothersome and they're more than 3 seconds.
It's still playable if you want a cheap version and don't want to emulate/pirate, but there are better versions.
>>
A friend had these. IV ran pretty good and it was fun to play 2 player. CT was...wow. LITERAL 10 second battle load times. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal if it wasn't instant in the SNES version. Just emulate CT on the SNES or get the DS version.
>>
>>3202317
The PS1 versions are the definitive versions though.
>>
File: 882138-ayla4fixed.png (203 KB, 560x399) Image search: [Google]
882138-ayla4fixed.png
203 KB, 560x399
>>3202232
Chronicles is the original first way I played through CT. I actually dont even remember the loading times they must not have bothered me since I didnt grind a lot. You do not need to grind at all in CT. They are decent ports but most will recommended the ds version which is also cheap or free if you have an r4ds. I also used to fap to Ayla's cutscenes a lot.
>>
is the reason for the long loading times in CT known? i mean i'm no expert on this stuff but wouldn't a port to a newer console mean it would run better?
>>
>>3202329

Why? If it's because of FMVs, those are included on the DS version, but still there's really no reason not to play the original version if you're playing if you want to play on a big screen. The FMVs are not worth the load times.
>>
>>3202339
It is, but the team porting it over did a shoddy job.
The load times are exaggerated to the death, if you get it on PSN you can make it slightly go faster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMLoGonKWhc
>>
yes op get that one. The fmvs in trigger are well worth it
>>
They're reasonably decent ports, but the load times can get pretty annoying after a while. If you want to play Chrono Trigger on a proper TV with proper hardware though this is pretty much the only way you're gonna be able to do it. The SNES version is insufferably expensive.
>>
>>3202342
The DS fmv are compressed as fuck and like 100pi resolution.
>>
>>3202356

Whatever, just watch them later at 1080p HD on youtube, the game is just perfect without them anyway.
>>
>>3202360
The FMV sequences are dope as fuck.
>>
>>3202361

They are alright, but not worth dealing with a game that has extra loadings all the time and not just when the FMVs play.
If the port was just like the original and only had loading during cutscenes, I wouldn't complain.
>>
>>3202364
But the port is better than the original.
>>
>>3202367

Where?
>>
>>3202370
FMV sequences, better control.
>>
>>3202378
the ds d-pad is pretty shitty desu but your also making shit up.
>>
>>3202394
DualShock > DS Pad
Playing it on Vita is better than playing it on the fucking DS of all things.
>>
>>3202309

If you fucking played either of these ports, you would shut your stupid mouth and not respond that way.

>literally 10 seconds to open the fucking menu vs. instant on every other version

Yeah, totally not retarded to pick this version.

OP, play the DS version, it's definitive.
>>
>>3202407
>7 seconds if playing on disc
>approx 4 seconds if playing through ISO
This load time argument is pathetic.
>>
>>3202251
Square RPG's that aren't Final Fantasy are just rejected Final Fantasies.
>>
>>3202410
It's completely unnecessary to deal with. There's options that allow for you to not to have to deal with them, and it truly does get mind numbing as the game goes on always dealing with the delay. If there weren't options that had no delay, then it wouldn't be a big deal. The thing is that since there's options without it, there's absolutely no reason to deal with it.
>>
>>3202232
The Amano inspired FMVs are nice.
>>
>>3202410
7 seconds once or every once in a while? No big deal?

7 seconds ALL THE DAMN TIME? Yeah, it got pretty tiring. I played it through the first time on PS but even I grew tired of it.
>>
>>3202232
Fuck no. The FF4 port is ok, but the CT port is trash. Load times added, intollerably bad cut scenes added, that are immediately followed by the exact same scene in its original sprite format (lets double play time by showing every scene twice!), and I don't know why, but the sound effects quality is complete shit in the PS version. It's like they compressed the 16-bit sound down to 8 and hit a shrill awful they never leveled.

Either play the originals or play an emu of them. The PS ports are just fucking terrible..
>>
OP, consider looking at the elevator Gauntlet you have to go through in the ocean palace and the dark omen (I think). Having loading times on those points for each battle would highlight how bad the Chronicles version is compared to the SNES version, seeing as how it has to load everything including before and after battles. I would prefer the SNES version overall, but since it's stupidly expensive, emulation would be the only thing I would suggest you do. That, or the DS version.
>>
>>3202721

While I agree about the load times, you are wrong when you say the cutscenes are bad, they are not. Also, no you don't have to watch every fucking scene twice, because there are only a few cutscenes in the game. Stop talking out of your fucking ass. Also, the sound sounds exactly the fucking same. Regardless, yes the PS port is ass. DS is the definitive version.
>>
Are the loading times tolerable when playing on a PS2 with the fast loading option enabled?
>>
>>3202929
yes very tolerable unless you are a fussy bitch.
>>
>>3202407
>portable version of anything
>definitive
>>
>>3202939

>additional content
>no load times
>all the movies

Sorry, but you're wrong.
>>
>Playstation and DS ports canonize Crono and Marle getting married

no thank you
>>
>>3202994

Sorry you get so easily triggered dude.
>>
>>3203016
>liking fanfiction

Nobody, in any of the endings, got married in the SNES version.
>>
>>3203072
Fair enough, what's wrong with Crono and Marle marrying though?
>>
>>3203085
Ignore him, he's just some MGTOW faggot pretending to be alpha to trick retards around here to join his cause.
>>
I used to be pretty into squareshit but these days i can only get into games that are more video gamey
>>
>>3203091
>MGTOW
Whaaaaat
>>
>people actually give a fuck about load times

What the fuck happened?
>>
>>3203260
I love load times, they giver me time to pee, brew some coffee, read the morning news and by the time I get back to the game it's halfway through loading the first battle.
>>
>>3203274
The only time a game took that long for me to load was Xbox Morrowind.
>>
>>3203260
It wasn't a big deal for me until the last gen. Holy shit did they fuck up badly with load times. It was particularly atrocious in RDR.
>>
>>3203260
>>3203279
>>3203274
behold
your 3 second load times mean nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-tp2f_Pt8
>>
>>3202232
Final Fantasy IV only has mono sound but is pretty good because it has a better translation than the SNES, has FMVs different from the DS versions, almost no loading times and the English version which most closely resembles the original Japanese SNES release.

Chrono Trigger has slow loading times.
The FMVs and Extras menu which are the best features are carried over to the much better DS version.
>>
>>3203290
The FMVs are different from the DS and they are kinda bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJOjR1ES1A
>>
>>3203292
The animation may not be that good but that music though.
But nonetheless, they are still an interesting sight.
Hell, I have been looking for a decent video of this on YouTube but only get results for the DS version FMVs.
>>
>>3202952
>screen size
>sound quality
>implying load times apply to the SNES version
>being an FMVbabby
>>
>>3202232
Flash cart, nigga.
>>
>>3202232
No.
>>3203320
Yes.
>>
>>3203608
No.
>>
>>3202309

A couple of seconds on actions and loadings when those things are literally happening every other second kinda adds up.
>>
File: 1324422266482.jpg (38 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1324422266482.jpg
38 KB, 400x300
>>3202339
It's because it was ported from a cartridge-based system to a disc-based system.

Loading data from the solid-state memory on a cartridge is practically instant, takes little to no time at all: look up an address, and boom it's always in the same spot.

Loading data from a disc requires actual physical movement of the disc so it lines up with the laser. This is still pretty fast, but takes a non-zero amount of time.

The issue is the developers did not compensate for these load times. There are strategies to mitigate load times by keeping common things loaded into memory, or loading things before you'll need them so they're available when you do, but the developers of these ports did no such thing. That's why there's a 1-2 second delay before each battle, and when casting a spell, and when loading a menu, or entering a new area.

So yeah, while the playstation may have better/faster hardware with a more capable graphics processing unit, the fact is there are limitations inherent in using a disc-based system. Load times is one of them.

They're fantastic games, but for these two games there are plenty of other versions you could play to get the same experience. For CT specifically, the DS version is much better than the playstation version, and includes the animated cutscenes.
>>
>>3203798
Is this particular FFIV script available anywhere else?
>>
>>3203091
>applying terms you learned on /pol/ to people you don't agree with
>>
>>3203798
Thanks Towelie
>>
>frame rate drops when using Luminaire

Never again, wasted a CD-R on that shit port and I was still mad when I was younger.
>>
>>3203260

You would if you actually had to transition from cart-based console to CD-based.

Maybe if your first system was CD-based, you'd take load times for granted, but as a kid who started playing on Coleco Vision and later NES, Genesis, SNES, I found loading times very bothersome when I first played with a CD system.
>>
>>3202232
No. See >>3202248
Except I'd say play the PSP port of IV anyways.
>>
>>3202410
>7 seconds if playing on disc
>approx 4 seconds if playing through ISO
>less than 1 second if playing via a method that isn't retarded
Hm
>>
>>3204060

I'm a Segafag. What's wrong with preferring no loading times?
>>
>>3204060
I grew up with Sega and Sony you son of a bitch. Even so, I'm not going to recommend a version with load times over an alternative without load times when they're otherwise almost the exact same thing.

Don't play FFIV on PS1, play a translated Super Famicom version or the GBA/PSP versions instead.
Don't play Chrono Trigger on PS1, play it on SNES or DS instead.
>>
>>3204065
IV is best played on PSP, it's the definitive version.
Chrono Trigger is best played on PS1, DS if you care about portability.
>>
>>3204065
Yeah, Chrono Trigger is objectively worst on PS1, there's no reason to play it there unless you have no other option.
>>
>>3204086
>Chrono Trigger is best played on PS1

This is pure falsehood. The slowdown in the PS1 version is horrendous.
>>
>>3204120

The bottom fucking line is that the only difference between the PS1 version and the SNES version is the long, shitty load times that are absolutely everywhere, including just opening the fucking menu. If you're choosing between two games that are exactly the same, only one has long shitty load times, you're obviously going to pick the one without them, right? All the PS1 version adds are some FMVs, which you can watch on youtube and while nice don't add anything to the game.
>>
>>3204120
Respectfully, I disagree very strongly. I bought this when it came out specifically for Chrono Trigger because the SNES copies were so pricey at the time. I found it literally unplayable because of the load times. In the end I just emulated it.

There is really no reason at all to play that version. If you want to buy a legit copy, the original and DS port are very good. Otherwise a toaster can emulate it better now than that version will run. There is no reason at all to ever recommend it.

> faggots are still triggered
And you talk like a child on top of it.
>>
>>3204120
It's a SNES game emulated on a Playstation. Literal emulation from a disk on a system with a shit disk-reading capability. Load times in battle, load times in the menu, load times in different houses, load times to load a few kilobytes of data.

Kilo. Bytes.

DS or SNES. End of. There is no reason to play the PS version.
>>
>>3204131
>>3204139
>>3204154
SNESfags are fucking cancerous. Don't expect less from a board that hates the PS1 and jerks it to all SNES Square games.
>>
>>3204163
I like the PS1 far more than the SNES overall, but that doesn't mean I'm going to say that a terrible port isn't terrible.

>SNESfags are fucking cancerous
And again, it's really hard to take you seriously when you type like a 13 year old trying to be edgy.
>>
>>3204163

Dude it has nothing to do with being a ' SNES fag', the load times on the PS1 were just kinda shitty. Especially if you played it on snes back back in the day.
>>
I own a Vita and 3DS. Should I get it on PSN or get the cartridge? I prefer the Vita dpad and buttons to the 3DS.
>>
>>3204185
>PSN
No. It's the same thing. Load times are still present, just not as bad.
>>
>>3204196
How is SNES emulation on Vita these days? PSP is still not great, but I'd been hoping Vita would be able to handle it better.
>>
>>3204198
I thought SNES emulation on PSP was alright. Not the best, but serviceable. snes9xTYL has a version just for Vita, so it might be better indeed.
>>
>>3204204
I find SNES on PSP pretty disappointing. Playable, but you still have to choose between either slow or choppy. If Vita isn't as smooth as the DS port I don't see a reason to emulate it there.
>>
>>3204196
Can't you make the load times faster on Vita?
>>
>>3202245
This. If you're playing the discs in OP's pic, there are insanely long load times.
>>
>>3204241
That's what I said. But you can't make the load times stop existing.
>>
>>3203313

1/10

Made me reply.
>>
>>3204247
That's fine with me.
Thanks lads.
>>
>>3202437
You're thinking about Anthologies.
>>
>>3204247
What runs better on Vita, SNES emulated or the PS1 port emulated?
>>
>>3203894
>My first system was cassette based, if you didn't grow up with that you don't know shit about load times.
>>
>>3204387
PS1 port is native, and enabling fast load drops load times by 1/2.
>>
>>3204420
I know it's native, but that's why I was asking. PS1 with it's load times cut in half is probably about on par with PSP's SNES emulation. So Vita can't run SNES smoother than that?
>>
>>3202309
you definitely never played these editions. the loading times are atrocious. I rented this when it was brand new and I couldnt handle the loading times.
>>
>>3204441
At the moment, no. The Vita hasn't been fully hacked so there isn't any way to use the full power of what the Vita has to offer.
You can try but you might experience some heavy framerate drips in some scenes.
>>
File: giggle.png (142 KB, 816x587) Image search: [Google]
giggle.png
142 KB, 816x587
>he still plays jarpigs
>>
>>3204464
Cool that's what I wanted to know, thanks!
>>
File: 1427623727367.jpg (39 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1427623727367.jpg
39 KB, 400x300
>>3204478

>he still thinks others care about his opinion
>>
>>3204442
He fucking said if the load times bother you, get it on PSN. Can confirm that the load times for digital copies are negligible on Vita for FF4 and 5 (nothing fixes 6, seems like the loading is programmed in).
>>
File: 1345301705275.gif (3 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1345301705275.gif
3 MB, 290x189
>>3204478

>he still shitposts past the age of 14
>>
>>3202232
loading times do genuinely suck. That being said, if you've never played the originals it might not be as infuriating.
>>
File: ayla_by_infinote-d3g8vot.jpg (175 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
ayla_by_infinote-d3g8vot.jpg
175 KB, 894x894
Daily reminder that you should always have Ayla in your party because she is the best.
>>
>>3206169

Crono Ayla Robo is the only party worth a shit
>>
>>3202232
Fuck no.
Also, fuck load times.
There's The Complete Collection for PSP and ⅣDS if you want to play FFⅣ.
Get the DS version of CT, too.

I can't comprehend how the fucking hell the Chronicles port of CT on PSN still has load times. It's not even on a disc anymore, FFS.
>>
Chrono Trigger PSX's load times are so long and so frequent, you'll wish you had an actual time machine.
>>
>>3206184
>not kicking Crono out the second you can and using Ayla, Luca and Marle
Do you even waifu?
>>
>>3202232
I was wondering how is the psn version of FFVI? i want to play it on my psp
>>
It's better than Anthologies. Those fucking load times, and FFV's translation are unforgivable.
>>
>>3206796
FFVI on PSN is actually pretty good. It's not as badly bogged down by load times as CT.
>>
>>3207228
Isn't it literally a port of the Anthologies version?
>>
>>3202309
They're not bad on FFIV but you're delusional if you seriously think the ones on Chrono Trigger are tolerable especially in this day and age when you could get the SNES or DS versions running on a PC for free.
>>
>>3204120
When you have to wait five seconds to do almost every action that isn't running from one side of the screen to the other those load times really add up. I don't know why you're so adamant on defending a blatant flaw even nostalgia shouldn't justify this.
>>
Just don't play FFV on it unless you like fake piratespeak inspired by a 1950s disney version of Treasure Island.

The fan translation is way better. If you need to use real hardware, get a flash cart.
>>
>>3202232
>IV
Not bad. A hell of a lot closer to original JP than what we got originally. Stuff like Namingway Edition trumps this nowadays, but if you're looking to play the original physically without flashcart this is the best you're getting.

>V
Unfinished translation is shit. GBA and the SNES fan translation are both better. And yes, in this case it is worth bearing those GBA nerfs if you aren't going to emulate.

>VI
Not bad, but they didn't bother to fix anything unlike later releases. The only thing different here is uncensoring.

>CT
Loadtimes are really really noticeable here, but if you really want "muh Woolsey charm!!!!" combined with the kickass FMVs knock yourself out. DS has the exact same ones.

Also if you're curious, the only FMVs worth watching are Chrono Trigger's. 1 and 2 are completely different beasts from these because they're not plain ports..
>>
File: sorrym8wot.gif (1000 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
sorrym8wot.gif
1000 KB, 320x180
>>3207772
>not liking fake piratespeak inspired by a 1950s Disney version of Treasure Island
>>
I got this set when it was new, played Chrono Trigger but not FFIV. I didn't even notice the load times at the time. I tried playing CT again the other day and got bored after 15 mins. Just can't get into RPGs lately
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.