[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your opinion on beat 'em ups
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 17
File: Galsia-streetsofrage2.jpg (23 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
Galsia-streetsofrage2.jpg
23 KB, 636x636
Your opinion on beat 'em ups
>>
>>3201934
>Galsia

kek
>>
>>3201934
Like playing a fighter with a character that sucks and barely has any moves against an endless stream of equally shitty AI opponents that you cheese with the same couple moves for the whole game. Maybe one of the most boring genres out there.
>>
>>3201934
fun with friends, monotonous without.
>>
>>3201934
Most go on for much too long.
>>
>>3201945

Good retro beat em up:
River City Ransom

Not retro but still good:
Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Basically a RCR clone.
>>
Belt scrollers died when devs felt like they need RPG bullshit shoehorned into them.

See: Kamitani games, Guardian Heroes, Castle Crashers, etc.
>>
>>3202015

Which was the first game to implement that? I assume it was some Capcom game, D&D probably.

Anyway, I don't mind RPG elements, I love D&D, KOTR and Guardian Heroes.
I think what killed the genre was a bunch of things including the dead of arcade centers and 3D gaming.

The closest to the genre we have now are games like NG, DMC and Bayonetta, or God Hand.
There's also Yakuza but it also has a lot of RPG elements (more than the games you listed)
>>
>>3201934
I like them better than regular fighting games.
>>
>>3202026
>The closest to the genre we have now are games like NG, DMC and Bayonetta, or God Hand.
Even games like that are hardly relevant anymore.
>>
>>3201934
I think you meant to say belt scroller. Or sash 'n bash, strolling donnybrooks, and walk 'n puncher.
>>
>>3202103

Walky Punchy
>>
>>3202026
River City Ransom had money, stats, storeable items and new moves and possibly equipment? It's been a long time but it has rpgish elements about it.
>>
>>3202015
So the genre died with River City Ransom and Double Dragon?
>>
>>3202107
Ahh the old Right, Stop, Hit.

Comix Zone was a great B'mup so was RCR and a few others. the classic scrolling fighter was just a quarter vacuum
>>
>>3202015

There's nothing wrong with Castle crashers, quit acting elitist. It's certainly better to be able to do shit with your character than just walk forward and punch dudes over and over.
>>
>>3202141
>the classic scrolling fighter was just a quarter vacuum
le git gud face
>>
>>3201934
I've seen this shitposted on /v/. I suggest you go back there. Yes I also browse /v/ but Im not a huge faggot about it.
>>
>>3201945
They are way better single-player/co-op games than fighting games and have much fewer AI cheesing though, but i guess you are one of those autists that only play multiplayers because they feel alone.
>>
>>3202189
>you can overcome anything by grinding
masterful design there fampai
And the combat is fucking trash compared to any jap arcade brawler of the 90s, kill yourself
>>
File: Yo fuckboy.jpg (79 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Yo fuckboy.jpg
79 KB, 960x960
>>3202406

>grinding in any game

Fuck off man, I'm trying to have an actual discussion with you and you're just being a rude faggot.

I never said Castle Crashers is better than 90s jap arcade brawlers but sure go ahead and take what I said out of context you piece of shit.

>>>/v/
>>
>>3201934

Don't you mean Rootin' Tooter Scooters?
>>
>>3202415
Following the discussion you implied that non-RPG brawlers were just "just walk forward and punch dudes over and over." , i'm just saying you are a clueles piece of shit
>>
>>3202443

No, I was implying that some customization helps keep things fresh.

There's a reason RCR is one of the best beat em ups. Stay pleb asshole.
>>
>credit feed through game, thus eliminating all tension and strategy
>"wow why's this game so boring and repetitive?"

Most games are boring if you cheat.
>>
I love beat em ups, but some have definitely aged well more than others. I feel beat em ups like Simpsons arcade aren't that great anymore because the game is usually too long, the moves you can do in it are limited, and fighting the same stuff over and over can be tedious.

>>3202015
This post is wrong
>>
File: asshole.png (7 KB, 209x242) Image search: [Google]
asshole.png
7 KB, 209x242
>>3201934
Fuck that guy
>>
>>3202448
>There's a reason RCR is one of the best beat em ups
The game is well regarded only because any retard could beat the game just by grinding instead of gitting gut. The game becomes incredibly shallow and broken once you know what to buy, it plays more like a RPG than a beat 'em up.
As for pure combat mechanics, RCR is just a joke compared to Final Fight which came out some months later.
>>
>>3202473

I'm not saying Final Fight is bad, it's certainly a good game. However, RCR is just downright fun and colorful. Sorry if you don't enjoy it. Anyone who wants to play the game seriously will play without tons of powerups etc. There's nothing wrong with wanting to artificially ramp up the difficulty, and also there's nothing wrong with wanting to play a game just to have fun. Seems like you take games very seriously, but try to lighten up a little.
>>
>>3202015
Tower of Doom is cool tho, but that's because the RPG elements are minimal.
>>
>>3202835
It has some bad controls.
>>
They're great. Much better than those fighting games for autistic people.
>>
>>3202839
Not at all, maybe the slash attack but you get used quickly.
>>
File: mazin_saga-e1278885369165.gif (49 KB, 550x385) Image search: [Google]
mazin_saga-e1278885369165.gif
49 KB, 550x385
>>3201934
what is the best strap'on stroller?
>>
Lots of fun, my favorite right-moving horizontal locomotion brawler is Golden Axe arcade.
>>
File: 6e7f725c.jpg (286 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
6e7f725c.jpg
286 KB, 960x1280
>beat em' ups
>you don't literally use your fists to beat shit up.
>>
File: 503.jpg (142 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
503.jpg
142 KB, 1920x1080
>>3202203
>>
>>3202015
Nah, those are still ok. The genre really died when character action games replaced them, like Devil May Cry, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden Black.
>>
>>3202991
>The old konami logo!!!!
>They also made an Ashita no Joe arcades!
>The old konami actually made some UN BELIEVE licensed titles based on animes that werent hoarded by BANDAI/BANPRESTO who mostly made turds and mehs
>>
>>3203447
>Ashita no Joe
damn this shit is rad anon thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHhuFChvqd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V58pi7x6lEE
>Hajime No Ippo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GNidYDyntU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkpGK8Fr-W8
I know most of these are not retro but im just going to post these anyway for reference.
>>
I think wood is a decent enough guy. I hate that he moved to america though. Him being in Australia was the cool thing about his show. Now hes a dime a dozen in the US.
>>
Köksal BABaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
>>
Do you speedrun any belt scrollers, /vr/?
>>
File: mazin wars.gif (89 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
mazin wars.gif
89 KB, 320x224
>>3202957
It would be a good game if the street fighter bosses didn't exist
>>
File: streetsofrage.jpg (474 KB, 1280x843) Image search: [Google]
streetsofrage.jpg
474 KB, 1280x843
http://poal.me/2wsrsg

Decide the Destiny.
>>
I fucking love them and think they are definitely due for a comeback that i am scared wont happen.
Seriously thinking about just making one myself i want a good new one so bad, though i have 0 experience with anything needed.

Any of you guys played sengoku 3? any good?
Bear in mind im a huge faggot who thinks SoR3 is the best SoR.
>>
File: kov.jpg (35 KB, 400x362) Image search: [Google]
kov.jpg
35 KB, 400x362
Knights of Valor series is pretty cool if you want a more recent belt scroller.
>>
>>3204717
What's the deal with Seven Spirits? It doesn't seem to be made by a Chinese team.
>>
Is Double Dragon Neon any good?
>>
>>3202375
>Calling someone an autist on /vr/
Get that shit out of my board. This place used to be awesome, all retro games and media and people gladly accepting newcomers to the retro scene. Now it's all circlejerks about CRT or Framemeister and /v/ invading and it's all gone to fucking shit.
>>
>>3205421
>Now it's all circlejerks about CRT or Framemeister and /v/ invading and it's all gone to fucking shit.

4u
>>
>>3205426
No really. I'm giving myself an ID now. I'm tired of what used to be my favorite place to come and chill being filled with assmaggots.
Who the fuck likes fun, right? There's cancer here that doesn't actually love retro gaming; they just want to turn this place into another /v/. Why would anyone want MORE people playing retro games?

PLAY GAMES, HAVE FUN, ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO HAVE FUN WITH RETRO VIDEO GAMES.
>>
Beat em' ups are a bit odd huh? I grew up playing Streets of Rage 1 on my Genesis (in the Sega 6 pak of all things) after hijacking the thing from my older sister who constantly got herself into trouble.
Many fun days in that game. Honestly, what I found fun in them is finding the optimal way to fight certain enemies.
Like in SoR1 there are big fat dudes that breathe fire you can't throw without damaging yourself, so it's more effective to time a single punch over and over to stun lock them.
Finding shit like this was always cool as fuck and I loved it. But yeah, I can see why they wouldn't be for everyone, I'm sure they're monotonous for some.
>>
>>3201934
Scott Pilgrim was the last really fun one I played

River City Ransom Ex is cool too
>>
So how far can you get in your favorite beat em up in just 1 credit, anons? These games are pretty hard to clear without credit feeding.

Also, what kind of character do you usually find yourself leaning toward? I almost always pick the obligatory grappler character, even if they're not the best.
>>
They are mindless fan. The kind of game you place once in a while. I cant imagine someone playing them everyday, because they get stale really fast.
>>
>>3205482
I never tried the arcade version of Streets of Rage, but I can beat the game on hard mode without getting a game-over. I don't know if that's good or not, but it's fun. I usually pick Axl for his better damage than Adam and he's fast enough to stun lock the harder enemies.
>>3205484
I dunno, I was always one to get the most out of a game back in the day. I would try my damnest to beat Green Hill act 1 in under 30 seconds every time. In SoR1 I would limit what moves I could use for fun. I beat the whole game with just jump kicks once, with the exception of the slasher boss who was invincible to them.
>>
>>3201934
You mean thwap-nap map laps?
>>
>>3205384
It's OK, not terrible. The music's amazing and a casual playthrough with a friend is fun enough. Compared to Double Dragon Advance it's a massive step back though. They replaced all the moves the games have been building up and balancing over the years with shitty RPG elements and a really repetitive dodge mechanic.
>>
>>3204647
Yeah. At least it tries something different I guess. Made by the same devs as Cosmic Carnage.
>>
>>3205384

It's 10/10 in every field except gameplay. The aesthetic is fantastic, the soundtrack is fantastic, it's funny as shit and the bro moves are really fun. I don't like the RPG elements, though the customization they offer is decent without being overbearing. It's just wacky, over the top fun.
>>
File: sadfrogdead.jpg (21 KB, 600x630) Image search: [Google]
sadfrogdead.jpg
21 KB, 600x630
>you will never 1cc Double Dragon 3 or American Streets of Rage 3
>>
File: GEKI0_POSTER.jpg (21 KB, 321x432) Image search: [Google]
GEKI0_POSTER.jpg
21 KB, 321x432
>>3202991
>dat Jun'ichi Hayama art.
>>
File: CLjYNFnUcAEYmHj.jpg orig.jpg (102 KB, 577x878) Image search: [Google]
CLjYNFnUcAEYmHj.jpg orig.jpg
102 KB, 577x878
>>3205560
Honestly, I found the humor and over-reliance on 80s satire more annoying than anything else. Hoping ASW does the next one in-house and keep it straight.
>>
Mind numbingly boring without friends.
>>
They are pretty damn fun. Nothing like having a couple beers and throwing down on some beat em ups
>>
>>3205710
>you will never 1cc Double Dragon 3
AC or NES?
>>
>>3202037
Now it's self-playing games like bam ham series and asscreed.
>>
File: Fishing-300x225.jpg (19 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Fishing-300x225.jpg
19 KB, 300x225
>>3206498
0/10
>>
>>3206286
Only if you're credit feeding
>>
Which BLG's (BrawLing Games) have you 1cc'd lately, /vr/?

I just cleared Battletoads without losing a life.
>>
File: 1654498-battleheatmanualfront.jpg (2 MB, 1056x1500) Image search: [Google]
1654498-battleheatmanualfront.jpg
2 MB, 1056x1500
>>3205717
His art is badass.
>>
>>3201934
my opinion is fuck you
now let's call it belt scroller
cuz JAPANESE HAVE MY WAIFU AND THEIR LABELS ARE BETTER
>>
>>3201934
context?
>>
>>3206878
https://www.google.com/search?q=koksal+baba
>>
>>3206678
No, because belt scroller sounds even stupider than what Japs call shmups, STG (Shoo-Ting-Game).
>>
File: CCw3SN0UsAACom6.jpg orig.jpg (108 KB, 620x1024) Image search: [Google]
CCw3SN0UsAACom6.jpg orig.jpg
108 KB, 620x1024
>>3206895
I like the term belt-scroller because it sets apart the pseudo-isometric type of beat-'em-ups that populated the genre from the less common single-plane brawlers that died out when Double Dragon and Final Fight came out, or the modern 3D beat-'em-up.
http://ie3.sakura.ne.jp/
>>
>>3206895
that sounds chinese to be honest
>>
>>3206924
Japs have a thing from three letter genre classifications (e.g. STG, FTG, RPG, SLG, ACT)
>>
I believe they're called "Lump 'Em & Dump 'Ems".
>>
File: 1438708584637.jpg (18 KB, 354x373) Image search: [Google]
1438708584637.jpg
18 KB, 354x373
>>3206908
Where do you find more of this art?
>>
>>3206934
>ACT
>having an entire genre for Actraiser
>>
File: what.jpg (201 KB, 800x1070) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
201 KB, 800x1070
>>3207974
>STG
>having an entire genre for Strike Gunner
>>
>>3207518
I found it from a Japanese Twitter guy who uploads old magazine scans. Unfortunately he doesn't state which magazine that particular scan is from.
https://twitter.com/chou_nosuke/status/588906451168460800

It's kinda weird how little promotional art there is for the SOR1 cast, much less Blaze in her SOR1 outfit.
>>
>>3202135
Not at all. The games were best in the 16 bit era.

Final Fight 1, 2, 3
Street of Rage 1, 2, 3
Turtles in Time
>>
Man, Bare Knuckle III is amazing, and the hacking scene for it is something else.
>>
>>3206509
I don't understand, are there big, popular release beat'em-ups nowadays that don't play themselves? I know of dragon's crown and code of princess but I'm not interested in those two games based off of what I've played.
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.