[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This game is kicking my butt. Even on the easiest difficulty,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 16
File: Mortal Kombat II.jpg (52 KB, 383x331) Image search: [Google]
Mortal Kombat II.jpg
52 KB, 383x331
This game is kicking my butt.

Even on the easiest difficulty, the AI is brutal. Been playing for over an hour and can't get very far without spamming jump-kicks.

Any advice for a beginner?
>>
Besides spamming jump kicks, try ducking and doing an uppercut every time the enemy comes close.
>>
>>3201402
Sweep. You can beat that whole game with sweeps.

But this sounds like super obvious bait, on the easy settings the first few opponents don't even really attack you. MK AI is notoriously awful which I am certain you are more than well aware of.
>>
File: Screen Cap.png (70 KB, 578x253) Image search: [Google]
Screen Cap.png
70 KB, 578x253
Pic related from a forum I found describes my pains with the game well.
>>
>>3201412
>on the easy settings the first few opponents don't even really attack you
I'm playing the Super NES version, and the first opponent mops the fucking floor with me. Attacks very often.

>>3201408
>Besides spamming jump kicks, try ducking and doing an uppercut every time the enemy comes close
I appreciate the advice.
>>
>>3201402
Learn the special moves of the character you want to use, you'll get good in no time.

Keep playing like a filthy casual only using standard moves and you'll never beat it.
>>
>>3201423
>Learn the special moves of the character you want to use, you'll get good in no time.
Fair enough. Can you recommend me a good character to use for beginners?
>>
File: mk2-kunglao.gif (3 KB, 55x70) Image search: [Google]
mk2-kunglao.gif
3 KB, 55x70
Kung Lao

Special Moves:
Teleport: D, Up
Diving Kick: D + HK (in air)
Hat Throw: B, F, LP (Use Up and D to control the hat)
Whirlwind Spin: Up, Up, LK (keep pressing LK to spin longer)
Head butt: HP (close)
>>
>>3201426
Liu Kang or Johnny Cage

Check moves here: http://www.mksecrets.net/mk2/eng/mk2-specialmoves.php
>>
>>3201431
>>3201428
Perfect. Thanks.
>>
>>3201418
>I'm playing the Super NES version, and the first opponent mops the fucking floor with me. Attacks very often.

I don't believe you. I'm running it emulated right now, on very easy and as I type this Baraka is literally just walks forward and punches when he's in range. That's it. If you're not trolling then it's time to pick another game.
>>
Also if you try the Arcade version of MK2 with MAME, you will never touch the SNES version again, I say it as someone who had the snes cartdridge and used to enjoy it.

Both the graphics and gameplay are way smoother.
>>
>>3201412
>on the easy settings the first few opponents don't really attack you
>>3201439
>Baraka walks forward and punches when he's in range
I think our idea of being attacked by the opponent is different. I'm new to fighting games, so when the AI moves in, attacks me, and I'm having a difficult time returning damage, I consider that being dominated.

This sums up my problems: >>3201415
>>
File: P2Idf.jpg (227 KB, 620x566) Image search: [Google]
P2Idf.jpg
227 KB, 620x566
What's the best Mortal Kombat game?
>>
>>3201449
The way you win in a fighting game is by anticipating what kind of attack your opponent will come at you with and either block it or counter it.

As you've seen it gets pretty complex pretty quickly. There are 4 basic attacks, many intermediate ones (sweeps, uppercuts etc) and special moves. When your opponent just walks straight towards you and just throws out basic punch attacks it's really being as easy as it possibly can without just standing and doing nothing.

>>3201415 is right though. The AI in MK 1 and 2 especially is really, really bad and resorts to blatant cheating on higher difficulty levels. Ultimately there's really no reason at all to waste your time with the game in single player. If you want to learn fighters, Street Figther and King of Fighters are much better starting points.

If you spend a while with MK2 single player you will figure out it's tricks and be able to beat it without much trouble. But you will realize that all you're doing is exploiting really bad AI. It wasn't a joke in any way that you can beat the whole game with just sweep attacks. It really is that bad.
>>
>>3201464
>When your opponent just walks straight towards you and just throws out basic punch attacks it's really being as easy as it possibly can without just standing and doing nothing.
That makes sense. If the AI was jumping around, and pulling off specials constantly, that really would be difficult. The AI being as basic as possible allows me to practice and learn the game.

>If you spend a while with MK2 single player you will figure out it's tricks and be able to beat it without much trouble. But you will realize that all you're doing is exploiting really bad AI.
Then why is Mortal Kombat II praised as one of the all-time best fighting games?
>>
>>3201478
>Then why is Mortal Kombat II praised as one of the all-time best fighting games?

Compared to the "big" ones like Street Fighter and King of Fighters it's relatively easy to learn. So it's great for more casual play with people who don't want to spend the time learning fighters more seriously. As a pick up and play party style game I think it's a better in many ways than the other big names.

But it terrible AI is a real sticking point if you're just playing on your own. In general fighters aren't a great genre for single player play, but Mortal Kombat is worse than most.
>>
Coolest thing about this series is that you can use MK Kodes to drastically modify the engine.
Look it up.
>>
>>3201490
>But it terrible AI is a real sticking point if you're just playing on your own. In general fighters aren't a great genre for single player play, but Mortal Kombat is worse than most.
I read the AI was purposely designed this way to keep players from hogging the arcade machine.

My friend tells me Samurai Shodown II is the best retro fighting game.
>>
File: last blade2777216.png (47 KB, 320x224) Image search: [Google]
last blade2777216.png
47 KB, 320x224
>>3201495
>I read the AI was purposely designed this way to keep players from hogging the arcade machine.

I wouldn't be surprised if they said this, but I think it's more likely they just weren't good at making AI that fought well. It's a very difficult thing to do. MK's isn't harder than the others, in many ways once you learn it's tricks it's one of the easiest. It's just that it cheats often and blatantly.

I personally like SNK's Last Blade games more than Samurai Showdown, but SS2 is an excellent game.
>>
>>3201495
Samsho 2 is good because it's mostly grounded on fundamentals of the genre instead of dash infinite air combo shit.
>>
>>3201531
That's true for most retro fighters.
>>
>>3201402
Play a good fighting game NOT made by gringos or midway
>>
>>3201402
The game is literally broken because Boon's an asshole and programmed it so if you throw you get thrown instead, etc etc. There is no real way to win unless you abuse the AI and use exploits. It's not very fun. It's amazing people cite this as the best MK when it's actually one of the worst. It's only good with friends, but to me a good game has to have a solid single and multi player to be considered good.
>>
>>3201637
>gringos

beaner detected, opinion trashed
>>
>>3201640
>playing fighters for single player
Aaaand you're out.
>>
File: chess.jpg (519 KB, 861x557) Image search: [Google]
chess.jpg
519 KB, 861x557
>>3201640
>but to me a good game has to have a solid single and multi player to be considered good.

And that's why no one respects your opinion.
>>
>>3201459
That one.

Of course, they're all broken trash, but still.
>>
File: smuganimeboy.jpg (93 KB, 1200x720) Image search: [Google]
smuganimeboy.jpg
93 KB, 1200x720
>>3201676
>>
>>3201676
What are you implying? of course you can play chess on your own (perfecting openings, replaying and analyzing famous/your own past games, playing against the ai)
>>
MK AI is trash but very exploitable. American arcade game as a whole are shit 2bh
>>
>>3201727
Chess is a terrible game against a computer, because it's a game of strategy and a computer doesn't know how to actually think or strategize. Sure you CAN play it like that, but it's a completely different and nowhere near as good game when you are not playing against a thinking opponent.

Fighting games are the same in that regard.
>>
>>3201640
> It's amazing people cite this as the best MK when it's actually one of the worst.

Probably because MK has the iconic fatalities and "edgy" blood and gore.
>>
>>3201741
Fuck off.
>>
>>3201752
To be fair most people are so inexperienced it doesn't really matter whether they play the CPU or not. Once they get good at it they can move on to thinking players.
>>
>>3201402
>butt
Read the rules sport
>>
>>3201676
what is it with the FGC and fucking chess

you can't even use checkers or poker for these analogies -- you have to get completely greedy
>>
>>3201676

This image is retarded. Why doesn't white have a king?
>>
>>3202204
Are you pretending american arcades weren't fucking trash? they were all style no substance and weren't even balanced to beat with 1 credit
>>
File: kess.jpg (52 KB, 861x674) Image search: [Google]
kess.jpg
52 KB, 861x674
>>3202382
Its in the corner outside the picture
>>
>>3202419
How would you know, did you ask the player?
>>
>>3202419

Ah ok, thanks for pointing it out :D
>>
>>3201402
https://youtu.be/0z36xDmG80g
>>
>>3202447
>cant even perform most of the moves
>>
>>3202426
The two players dont have a clue how to play chess (a1 has to be a black field, meaning the white starting line should be either on the upper or lower part of the picture, but then the white pawn should not be able to stand where he is or should have been changed into another piece).

This leaves the right or left side of the picture as the starting line for white and the white pieces are obvious on the right, because these retards wouldnt have been able to place them there otherwise.

This left a1, b1 or c1. On c1 the base of the white king should have been visible. Now I admit its completely possible for either of the two other ones to be where the white king stands.
Now I tried some psychology. These guys dont know that they are playing on the wrong side of the chess board and the guy playing white has the black king cornered by his knight and queen and is demonstrating to his slightly more retarded opponent how black would have been able to take the white queen (it cant be black making the actual move in the picture, because the hand is coming from right/the white side), meaning he does know a little bit more.
Knowing that his white queen is endangered and still hoping that black doesnt realize it, was part of his strategic plan to attack the black king, so it wasnt capable of stopping the black knight checking the white king (meaning the king has to stay a1 not b1). At the same time the sole purpose of the white bishop has to be to protect his king, thats why he moved it into such a shitty place, while still being a piece to move in front of the king (again, the white king has to stay for this on a white field). So, a1 it is.

At least thats what I think. I can be wrong.
>>
>>3202518

pretty based post. Something in that image just looked awfully wrong, but I didn't want to be called a dipshit for trying to disseminate the whole image, you put it far more eloquently than I could have.

10/10 would read again.
>>
The AI literally cheats. It can both read your control inputs and act in situations where a human player can't, like during recovery frames.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZs1acpQ9XE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkEMT4RXa5E

You have no choice but to cheese the fuck out of it to win.
>>
>>3203445
So, the game sucks as a fighting game
>>
>>3201402
I read you're playing the SNES version, but please always state on what platform you are playing, as the ports sometimes differ.
>>
>>3201676
>black pawn takes down the white queen
>>
>>3203456
PAWNED
>>
>>3201439
>>3201423
>Learn the special moves of the character you want to use, you'll get good in no time.
>Keep playing like a filthy casual only using standard moves and you'll never beat it.
Watch the second video in this post: >>3203445
So basically everything you guys said is bullshit.
>>
File: wm4RdJ4.png (207 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
wm4RdJ4.png
207 KB, 400x300
>>3202416
>>
>>3203494

>>3201439 (You) here
>Keep playing like a filthy casual only using standard moves and you'll never beat it.

Actually, I was the one who pointed out you can beat the whole game with sweeps. >>3201412 MK AI cheats (all fighting AI does) a lot but outside of that it actually sucks. You can totally beat the game with just basic moves.

But there's no real point because MK single player is pretty shitty no matter what you do.
>>
>>3203448
No. That's pretty standard faire. Fighting games are garbage.

>>3203886
With most fighting games that read AI in that way basic moves don't even just become 'viable' they become your bread and butter since they're faster implemented, more reliable to input, and multiple moves paths available from neutral positions so you can manipulate and control the AI reading. Though even this happens quite a bit for top level players with good reactions and end up generally being your entire lead in for combos. Usually worse or new players spam specials all day where great players typically rely on them more situationally more dependent on frame invulnerability, counter chance, and chip damage, and optimal hits per range.
>>
>>3204427
>With most fighting games that read AI in that way basic moves don't even just become 'viable' they become your bread and butter since they're faster implemented

That's why I pointed out being able to beat MK2 with just sweeps. That's what fighting AI comes down to. There's none of that reading your opponent and feeling them out with jabs to open an opportunity to counter with something bigger. You just figure out what the AI is bad at dealing with and keep throwing it at them till you win. In single player that's pretty well what you're stuck with because otherwise it's reading your inputs and reacting with inhuman counters.

This is why I say loudly and often that outside of training (and even then barely) fighting games are really not a good single player genre. The real "game" in them is the strategy of what to do when based on how you think your opponent will act. All that goes out the window when your opponent is both literally as stupid as a robot and has to blatantly cheat to compensate.

For multiplayer, fighters are one f the best genres ever due to their mix of strategy, mind games and high skill level in terms of execution and reaction time. But for single player they're ultimately very disappointing and unsatisfying.
>>
File: 23.jpg (77 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
23.jpg
77 KB, 500x281
>>3204509
Fighting the AI works best when you're in survival mode, fighting hordes of brain dead enemies on a single life bar or when you're going after unlocking stuff.
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core had a cool idea for a survival, every 10 "levels" a message comes up on screen "HERE COMES DAREDEVIL" and you fought a boss enemy with armor mode, super speed and perfect reaction time, but you could also buy buffs, health and power ups with your score to compensate. Beating Survival unlocked an EX character which is essentially the overpowered, banned from tourneys boss type character that you fought before.

It's rather pointless if you actually want to git gud at Guilty Gear but at least it's fun as hell for an afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiSq_DFaTOw
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (356 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
356 KB, 1280x720
>>3204574

Buyable perks in GGXXAC.
>>
>>3204574
Yeah I would agree with that. MK9's challenge tower was also fun in an odd sort of way. But it's very different from playing them normally.
>>
>>3204427
>pretty standard faire

Standard fare, anon.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (137 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
137 KB, 640x480
>>3204584
I love playing as boss characters vs the CPU. I think it's a lost art. Like the other anon said it's mostly just spamming your specials and supers over and over without thought or strategy but I'd be damned if it wasn't fun.
>>
>>3204584
>MK9's challenge tower was also fun in an odd sort of way.

That boss rush at the end where you fight Goro, Kintaro and Shao Kahn is the opposite of fun.
>>
Mortal Kombat games have the cheapest AI I've ever seen. I swear even Mortal Kombat 9 had this bullshit where you do everything perfectly but the game just says "no" and kicks your ass because fuck you. The only real solution is to find a move that works most of the time and then abuse the fuck out of it. Sweep the leg, uppercut, jump towards opponent, repeat. That sort of stuff.
>>
>>3201402
Only way you're really gonna be able to beat MK AI on a frequent basis is if you learn what each character is exploitable to and cheese the hell out of it.
>>
MK2 Kung Lao is EZmode against most AI characters just because of the way the AI fights him:

The AI jumps forward when Lao jumps back, leaving itself open instead of throwing a perfectly-timed projectile for a free hit on you
The AI doesn't effectively deal with arcing hat throws. It treats it like any straight projectile.
Lao has very high priority and reach on his uppercut

Sweeping is pretty much a universal tactic though.
>>
Scorpion has the skill that helps not to get cornered in order to continue the jump-kicks
>>
File: the leg.jpg (25 KB, 400x308) Image search: [Google]
the leg.jpg
25 KB, 400x308
>>3201412
>>
>>3201402
The AI was programmed to read your inputs and react accordingly.
>>
>>3205591
Oh really? I hadn't read that in this thread like five times already, that was really helpful.
>>
>>3203445
B-but all muh arcade games aren't really quarter munchers! They're meant to be fair! You just suck!
>>
>>3205651
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVHH1h_-XyY
Maybe if you actually played games more instead of complaining about them, you wouldn't be such a whiny bitch.
>>
For the first two or three fights you can duck down and uppercut them. For some reason the AI in MK2 is fucking retarded during those first few causing them to walk up and only use their high punch if you duck.
>>
>>3201402
Mortal Kombat Ai is input reading bullshit, the game is far better when you just stick to multiplayer.
>>
File: 1445677747384.jpg (30 KB, 306x395) Image search: [Google]
1445677747384.jpg
30 KB, 306x395
>>3201459
>Best
UMK3, MKX, MKV:DA

>ok
MK2, MK6:D, MK9

>Garbage
Literelly everthing else
>>
>>3205624
Well, on a more helpful note it seems the AI will react to very certain inputs, and completely ignore others. It's a trail and error game to find what ones.
>>
>>3203445

Now I know just why single player was always more frustrating and stressful than versus...
>>
File: 0032.jpg (1 MB, 2136x3216) Image search: [Google]
0032.jpg
1 MB, 2136x3216
>>3203456
That's not a pawn.
>>
>>3202368
Chess is just a much better analogy to fighting games than either Checkers or Poker. It's two opponents with a complex set of moves at their disposal in a battle of strategy. Checkers is similar, but simpler so Chess is a better analogy. Poker is a whole different situation. For one it's less good when it's just two people going against each other and there is the element of luck that doesn't apply in the same way to the other games. It's not a very good comparison.

>>3202382
>>3202426
>>3202518
>>3202528
>>3203456
That's a stock photo. Not a game that's actually being played. It's entirely possible that the people who set it up and took it didn't even know the rules of Chess let alone any kind of strategy. Just typical stock photography.
>>
>>3205674
The first Mortal Kombat game is garbage? Explain.
>>
>>3201426
>good character to use for beginners
baraka

back, back, lp
>>
>>3205674
Nice beard, Fred
>>
>>3205674
Holy shit that's Fred Durst!
>>
>>3205664
>complete fromage a la mode

Yep.
>>
>>3206162
Now the first MK is a great example of something that is very dated
>>
>>3210527
MK II was a big step up in every way. I dont know how the """""AI""""""" of 1 stacks up to II, must be even worse.
>>
File: Untitled.png (530 KB, 607x734) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
530 KB, 607x734
>>3205674
>Best and Underrated
UMK3-TE, UMK2

balanced for both games and
Glitch Jabs removed for UMK3-TE
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.