[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some PS1 games that are short and easy but still good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9
File: 1428100375125.png (100 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428100375125.png
100 KB, 1920x1080
What are some PS1 games that are short and easy but still good that I can bang out in an afternoon?

I grew up playing 40+ hour RPGs almost exclusively during that gen and I don't have time for that kind of a commitment now so I'm looking for smaller games I missed out on. Any genre, I don't care, but I won't be able to beat shoot 'em ups or fighting games I can guarantee that.
>>
Klonoa is about a 6-8 hour game. If you don't want feels then stay away.
>>
Parappa the Rapper and Um Jammer Lammy.

You can finish them both in an afternoon.
>>
Abe's Oddysee (short and sweet, sequel is much longer though), Crash Bandicoot (2 is the shortest and best), Resident Evil (any one, they're all around 3-4 hours long if you go in blind).
>>
Crash Bandicoot games are short and sweet. Crash 2 is the best one.
>>
Ridge racer, rr revolution, rage racer, rr type 4, ace combat 2
>>
File: A kickass 3D platformer.jpg (73 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
A kickass 3D platformer.jpg
73 KB, 1024x768
The first 3 Spyro games are really short fun and comfy so its easy enough to pick up and put down
>>
>>3200837
Intelligence cube is addictive

Kula world is underrated gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-wfN_KgL28

Gex 3d

DIe hard trilogy
>>
>>3200837
Mega Man X4 is a fun game you can crank out in a afternoon.
>>
>>3200927

Disregard this post.
>>
Wipeout XL's progression path was designed for an arcade style, you can finish it in one sitting but you might get stuck in the later speed classes.
>>
File: power_shovel.jpg (262 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
power_shovel.jpg
262 KB, 650x650
this little gem, not joking. I got this from a used bookstore for change back when, probably cost the same now. no ragrets.
>>
Panzer Bandit
Gunners Heaven
Also try light gun games OP. Time Crisis, Rescue Shot and Point Blank
>>
>>3202845
Is this like one of those euro simulator games?
>>
>>3202857
Nah it's Japanese, very arcadey.
>>
>>3200837
Mega man legends, should take about only 6-7 hours.
>>
File: Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png (129 KB, 256x254) Image search: [Google]
Ghost_in_the_Shell_Coverart.png
129 KB, 256x254
>>3200837
This is short and pretty easy and you can def finish it one sitting... but you'll want to replay it over and over because there isn't anything quite like it with its wall crawling mechanic. Also dat music.
>>
File: 9802.jpg (57 KB, 601x768) Image search: [Google]
9802.jpg
57 KB, 601x768
A day may be a stretch but you can knock out Parasite Even over a weekend
>>
Dino Crisis 2

you shoot dinosaurs with varied guns and in varied locations

easily beatable within 4-6 hours and replayable
>>
>>3202827

Truth.

As long as you stay away from multi disc games and RPGs, you should find that most PS1 games are beatable in an afternoon if you have a few hours to kill.
>>
>>3202915
The sub optimal resolution makes me want to gouge my eyes out. It's lower than 320x240.
>>
>>3202960
Resident Evil as well.
>>
Here is some underrated/less common shit.

Assault Retribution
>3d contra clone, has coop even, really neat cyberpunk visuals, nice level variety, dope OST, interesting weapon upgrading system, roughly 2 hours long, decent pacing and really nice enemy variety, gem of a pewpew game

Dino Crisis 2
>straightforward action take on classic RE formula, tank controls but you have dodge/strafe ability, super snappy controls, minimal puzzles. Hands down most gorgeous prerendered backgrounds on the system. Addictive gameplay which rewards you with points for killing dinosaurs, with which you upgrade and buy new weapons and save points. If you manage to get through a room/area chaining combos without taking damage, you get bonus points. Also has a very soothing atmosphere.

Resident Evil: Survivor
>lightgun game and mostly bashed by RE fans, though its cheesy as fuck and can be very enjoyable. It's roughly an hour and half long but it has a shitton of replay value because at various points in the game you can select one of the few different doors/ways that you can proceed through, rendering others unusable after. Different choices bring you to different locations (nightclub, church, arcade club etc) and you get different weapons. Game is so short that it doesn't even have a saving progress option, until you beat the game for the NG+ kind of deal.

CT Special Forces
>slowpaced kinda methodical take on Metal Slug. rather nice artstyle and sprites, also has coop. Nice gameplay and level variety. Suprisingly challenging for a not-gottagofast MS styled game.

Sheep Dog n Wolf (aka Sheep Raider)
>cell shaded stealth game where you play as Ralph Wolf trying to steal sheep from Sam. sounds kinda simple but its a fairly complex puzzle-like game with absolutely gorgeous soundtrack and art style. arguably the most well-aged game on the system. you basically collect gadgets while exploring the levels, stealing a sheep per level. As you progress the herd thins and it gets harder.
>>
>>3201020
>Intelligence cube

Holy fuck I have not thought about that game in nearly 20 years. Totally forgot that I once owned this after I got my Playstation back in the day. I remember this being an interesting puzzle game. Hopefully I could find it cheap
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 544x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 544x640
Here's what I got

For fun 3rd person shooters that aren't long and don't have any daunting 100% completion bullshit:

>Small Soldiers
>Army Men 3D
>Army Men Sarge's Heroes
>Army Men Air Attack
>Loaded
>Grudge Warriors

For fun platformers, both 2D and 3D:
>the Gex titles
>Jersey Devil
>Spider: The Video Game
>Toy Story 2
>A Bug's Life
>Ms. Pacman Maze Madness
>Pacman World
>the Frogger titles
>Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
>the Spyro titles

Then for simple competition games:
>the Twisted Metal titles
>the Tekken titles
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 426x333) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 426x333
>>3203859
Oh, and Ape Escape.
>>
>>3200837
battle arena toshinden
psychic force
rival schools
destruction derby
diehhard trilogy <<< a fave on playstation
>>
>>3200927
>short and sweet
>100% completition is one o the most tedious chores out of any platformer on the Playstation

Yeah, no. CtR is a blast but fuck the regular titles.
>>
>>3203875

Only Crash 3 is a chore because of the relics, pleb.

Besides, you don't have to collect shit in order to beat the game non-100% like most platformers.
>>
>>3202786

Obviously the pointless hate toward this series hasn't stopped on this shit board.
>>
>>3200913
No chance anyone is finishing any of the RE games in only 4 hours with no prior experience with the series. 6-8 is more like it.
>>
Felony 11-79 aka Runabout and sequels
Can get to the end fast but still get 40+ fun hours unlocking unlockables
>>
Metal Gear Solid is 6-8 hours.
>>
>>3205031
This here is a pretty solid suggestion for an afternoon, as long as you don't chase all the easter eggs and dialogues.
>>
You could definitely bang out the campaign of Tony Hawk 1/2.
>>
>>3200837

You could rock out some Bushido Blade II
>>
>>3205079

Should specify, despite it being a fighting game, the 1 hit kills will carry you. Just use the broadsword and hit circle.
>>
Castlevania Chronicles is a short old school NES type port of some PC game from the 80s. It has a normal and easy mode. It's not very long, but normal can be pretty brutal. Easy is a cakewalk though, maybe an hour max.
>>
File: Elemental_Gearbolt.jpg (57 KB, 350x337) Image search: [Google]
Elemental_Gearbolt.jpg
57 KB, 350x337
Elemental GearBolt
>>
spyro riptos rage.
>>
>>3200847
Most unexpected feels game of my youth. Jesus
>>
>>3203472
its on ps3 network
>>
File: spyro-the-dragon-usa.jpg (163 KB, 600x589) Image search: [Google]
spyro-the-dragon-usa.jpg
163 KB, 600x589
>>3200837
>>
Silent Bomber
>>
>>3203427
I have never understood why low res physically hurts some people.
>>
>>3209475
I have no issue with low resolution. Ghost in the Shell was lower than standard resolution which fucks up scaling and makes it harder to see what the fuck is going on.
>>
Chippoke Ralph No Daibouken
decent 2D platformer
very basic, but still fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOam1-Rezs
>>
>>3200847
strongly recing this, the game had amazing atmosphere
>>
>>3200837
Dino Crisis 2 is a short fun game. I managed to play through it under 2 hours.
>>
>>3200930
>ace combat 2

muh nigga.
>>
>>3205031
not if its your first time playing
>>
>>3204601
>Felony 11-79
No kidding, I was seeing the end credits after less than an hour.

Ace Combat 2 is short but sweet. a single playthrough shouldn't take more than 6 hours.
>>
>>3209513
>decent 2D platformer
One of the best, dipshit.

>>3204601
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OWTr3eFFas
>>
>>3209573
no, that's actually pretty reasonable for a first play through. I died a lot and I still managed to beat it in 8
>>
Umihara Kawase Shun (get 2nd ed.)

maybe. you could stumble across an optimal route and "beat" the game in an evening, and it's definitely something that can be played at like 15-20 minute intervals if you're short of time, with new shit to discover for a while. it might take you a little bit to get used to the grappling hook physics but it's worth it and a great gem of a title.
>>
>>3207423
This looks awesome. Is this on ps3 network too? The PS1 ports are god damn expensive
>>
>>3204575
>>3200913
THIS
>>
Fighting Force. Pitfall 3-D. Jackie Chan Stuntmaster. Quick fun and easy.
>>
>>3201020
Went in to say Kula World.
So I'll up the ante and add No One Can Stop Mr Domino
>>
>>3202915
>remember playing this game on demo disk as a kid
>get into ghost in the shell in my teens
>want to play this game very much
>rarity and price has for some reason increased since classic game room review
>too poor to buy
>the game emulates terribly
why must i be cursed that the only ps1 games i want to buy are so goddamn expensive
>>
>>3210802
Is Fighting Force short? Last time I played it, I had to turtle around and I eventually gave up.
>>
Namco Museum? I dunno.
>>
Rayman 2
>>
>>3211743
Just get a modchipped ps1 or PSIO.
>>
Hogs of war. Worms 3d done right.
>>
spyro 2 riptos rage and resident evil 1
>>
einhander... check this out. hahaha. one of the good games of the old times
>>
>>3213101
Only problem with the latter:

It's a preorder that happens every 3-4 months.
>>
I played the Wii remake of Klonoa. Is it still worth it to play the PS1 original or are they pretty much the same?
>>
>>3213751
I think it's worth it if you like the 5th generation. Otherwise mostly the same. Very nice remake.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.