[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Best or most interesting non-Nintendo/Sega console? Post
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: Panasonic-3DO-024-Box.jpg (101 KB, 894x978) Image search: [Google]
Panasonic-3DO-024-Box.jpg
101 KB, 894x978
>Best or most interesting non-Nintendo/Sega console?

Post Atari 2600 - Pre PlayStation.
>>
the turbo
>>
atari 7800
>>
>>3200672
>>Best or most interesting non-Nintendo/Sega console?
>Post Atari 2600 - Pre PlayStation.

Sorry man, I got nut'n.
>>
File: DSCN0400.jpg (478 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0400.jpg
478 KB, 1600x1200
>>3200672
3DO had some great titles but I think it would have to be the tg16
>>
File: duor.jpg (42 KB, 640x507) Image search: [Google]
duor.jpg
42 KB, 640x507
pc engine/turbo
>>
Neo Geo and Turbo Graphix

3DO seemed really interesting at the time, as not only a game system but CD player as well, but I'm sure in the long run it wasn't worth it.
>>
>>3200698
vcd with an expansion so you could watch bootleg movies on it and no copy protection so you can play burned games out of the box. it was pretty tits for 94 and still holds up well,
>>
File: jaguar2.jpg (39 KB, 335x377) Image search: [Google]
jaguar2.jpg
39 KB, 335x377
End of an era
>>
Neo Geo, with PC-Engine/TG-16 right behind it.
>>
>>3200672
>Neo Geo
Intended to be a rental-only console, most expensive console of all time, ran on arcade hardware, extremely long lifespan especially for a 2D console (almost 15 years), experimented with 3D-ish rendering techniques later on, lots of Japan exclusives
>Turbografx/PC-Engine
Designed to be modular and expandable; hence the name in Japan, used bizarre card format, first 16-bit console, first console capable of playing CD-format games
>3DO
First 32-bit console, first console capable of native texture-mapped 3D rendering, had an unorthodox hardware and software-licensing business model, opening the floodgates for indies (and shovelware)
>Jaguar
Unorthodox hardware, often debated whether or not it's truly 64-bit, bizarre controller, last cart-based console before the N64, supposedly the ONLY 64-bit console besides the N64
>>
>>3200735
Everyone seems to say the Jaguar was awful. I never paid attention to Atari after the 2600 back then so I wouldn't know. Is it worth checking out? The controller concept seems awesomely convoluted.
>>
>>3202108
no it's worse than a 32x, it has 2 32 bit processors but can only use one at a time it was too complicated to program for so devs just used the standard 68k co-processor instead. That's why most jaguar games look like 16bit games.
>>
>>3202108
It's a neat console. If you have the money I'd say go for it, but keep in mind there isn't really a flashcart available (that I know of) and stay away from the CD add-on.
>>
>>3200696
This. The day I finally got a PC Engine was one of the best vg related moments of my life

>>3202000
It was actually named PC Engine due to Hudson being obsessed with trains (Hudson itself named after a model of train and the cpu named after a train as well)
>>
>>3202126
>it has 2 32 bit processors but can only use one at a time

That was the 32x and Saturn.

Jaguar had two 32bit DSPs, one set up as a blitter, the other as an audio chip, plus there was a 68k intended for controller readout.

You could use all of them simultaneously (as the bus allowed for, anyway), but developers had no idea how to efficiently code a DSP at the time, so they just used the 68k which had something like 1/10th the power.

John Carmack was maybe the only person who put effort in it, and according to him it was a very powerful, forward-thinking machine in regards how far you could re-purpose the chips inside, but it also had some buggy oversights (I think it lacked cache or something like that). They wanted to push so much processing power out of the Doom port that they maxed the audio ASIC for computations and didn't have enough power for music.
>>
>>3202191
I figured maybe it was the fact that the console was intended to replicate how PC's could work at the time. I forget that the folks at Hudson were train hobbyists.
>>
>>3202000
>Turbografx/PC-Engine
>16-bit
Spotted the babby.

>inb4 MUH GRAPHICS CHIP
>>
>>3202241
By that logic, the Dreamcast would technically only be 32-bit and consequentially, the system's retro qualification debate would end.
>>
>>3202252
Dreamcast will NEVER EVER be retro.
>>
>>3202258
Then stop being a picky faggot about console specs.
>>
File: file.png (12 KB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12 KB, 320x200
>>3200672
>no ZX Spectrum
>no Commodore 64

Superpleb thread.
>>
>>3202264
Those are computers, not consoles, you dumb Europoor. Also the Spectrum was shit.
>>
File: durst.net.jpg (146 KB, 611x820) Image search: [Google]
durst.net.jpg
146 KB, 611x820
>>3202192
aah thanks, I was mixing a few up, I remembered the 68k thing is why some games are so ugly
>>3202258
I'm with you buddy, it had a web browser, broadband adapter and a whole advertising campaign pushing multiplayer online fps to dudebro's. Saying that I own one and it's a damn good console, wish sega would've succeeded.
>>
>>3202270
Nobody ever used them for anything BUT games, and Spectrum was THE shit. Games distributed via radio transmittions across the whole country, anyone? That was back in the 80's.
>>
File: Spikecharacter.png (2 KB, 151x198) Image search: [Google]
Spikecharacter.png
2 KB, 151x198
I'd like to add the Vectrex
>>
>>3202264
>i can;t noz wut iz console.
>>
>>3202330
>I'm so retarded, I can't even write a coherent sentence.
>>
>>3202270
Computers have always been superior to consoles. Remember, computers are never 100% obsolete but consoles eventually are. Plus computers are easier to fix. Vintage Mac makes whining noise? Just replace the flyback transformer. PC monitor broken? Get a new one. Easy.
>>
>>3202359
>I'm so retarded
Unironic: The Post
>>
>>3202439
>always been superior
Maybe in your lifetime kiddo
>>
>>3202273
>>3202258
Dreamcast is retro, for the fact that it is the last old school Sega console that focused on arcade experience contained on a single disc.

Arguably the PS2/GC/Xbox generation was still a part of that. Online was still a novetly, and DLCs weren't a thing. I'd say that gen was borderline between retro and modern gaming. If for no other reason than because the PS2 saw shedloads of retro ports, remakes, and sequels.

The generation after that was when the cancer hit 100%. Virtual Console, Xbox Live, PSN, games won't run without an online account, 5gb day one patches, etc. It's what we still have today.

>it had a web browser, broadband adapter and a whole advertising campaign pushing multiplayer online fps to dudebro's.

Even the Genesis had an online service, and was advertised heavily for dudebros, Hell every non-Nintendo console was advertised for the cool kids, from Neogeo to Playstation.

And if you cut the line for retro gaming as where it became mainstream, then it's the first Playstation where you had Final Fantasy banners in every corner, Gran Turismo considered as a virtual reality driving game, and Tomb Raider being sold by Lara's tits.
>>
>>3202787
>Maybe in your lifetime kiddo

Not that guy but computers have been consistently superior to consoles ever since the Amiga 1000, thirty years ago.

Maybe longer depending on whether you consider the C64 superior to the NES, but in my opinion those were so different that it's best to just call them equal.
>>
>>3202880
Like I said. Maybe in your lifetime kiddo.
Yeah. That US Gold shit on the Amiga was top notch.
>>
>>3203040
Well considering that the only consoles before were the Atari 2600, I don't know what exactly is your point with the "only in your lifetime kiddo" comment.
>>
fm towns marty
>>
>>3203095
Your age is showing son. Time to sit down with gramps and talk about what he played when your dad was a twinkle in his eye.
>>
>>3203126
Pong machines and the Magnavox barely count as consoles imo. Was there another one?
>>
>>3203130
There were plenty. Glad I could help you brush off your googleing skills.
>>
>>3203147
You are a a child hiding their age by calling others children.
>>
>>3203417
Nope. Soon to be a granddad, kiddo.
>>
>>3202880
Amiga was absolutely superior to Apple, Mac, and IBM PC gaming but it had worse framerates and scrolling than consoles like Genesis and SNES.

Hmm... How were the framerates and scrolling of 4th gen Jap computers such as the X68000, FM Towns, PC-88, and MSX2?
>>
>>3203480
GRAND DAD?!
>>
>>3200696
I really want to get a TG16, a Turbo Duo, or a PC Engine Duo but they're pretty expensive and so are the games. An everdrive is pretty much mandatory if you want to actually play anything on it.

It is one of those rare examples of a Japanese system that never caught on in the west but actually has a lot of good non-weebshit games. The Sega Saturn is also a console that has that distinction-- lots of good Japanese games that are appealing to Western gamers.
>>
File: neo_geo_aes_console.jpg (42 KB, 648x468) Image search: [Google]
neo_geo_aes_console.jpg
42 KB, 648x468
Truly the Rolls Royce of game consoles.
>>
>>3200856
These two are the only non-meme answers. Everything else was garbage.
>>
>>3204397
Same boat as you anon, I want CD support but fear popping capacitors and spending all my money
>>
>>3205493
The local game shop had a Turbo Grafix with the CD module and card for like $150 or $200 a while ago, and I remember wishing I had the money for it but I just plain didn't. They also had a Neo Geo a while ago that I would have loved to get my hands on but it was $150, and again I didn't have that kind of money to throw around, let alone buy any games for it.
>>
>>3205493
Cap replacement is a meme.
>>
>>3205913
I think it only happens to consoles that were played non stop or maybe left on constantly? I have all the original consoles we bought and they're fine. even the ps1 that was left on for weeks at a time because I didn't have a mem card when I first got it. fuck we have a super pong console and a coleco that works
>>
>>3204432
>le arcade experience may may
>>
PC Engine
>>
>>3205923
That's why I said it's a meme, it's only until recently people keep going on about it.
>>
>>3205913
I bet you think disc rot is a meme as well.
Electronics age. Capacitors are not eternal. You probably shouldn't worry about it though, but there is always possibility.
>>
>>3204405
The joystick was so stiff tho
>>
>>3205913
>>3205923
>>3206250
The caps in my Game Gear dried out years ago. It's only recently that I got around to ordering a repair kit because I'm becoming a lot more confident in my ability to solder.

There is a widespread issue in many consumer electronics from the early 90s because of bad capacitors that were being used, particularly in Japan. It occasionally happens with modern electroncis too (I had a Samsung LCD monitor where the caps went bad, and hardly 2 years after I replaced them the logic board died on me), but there was an alarmingly large batch of bad caps being used in Japanese products like the Game Gear and Turbo Grafx / PC Engine line for several years. Some people say that the caps in many TG16 and PC Engine consoles began leaking while they were still on store shelves.

The reason why people really talk about it a lot more these days, is because a great many consoles that were once playable in spite of the audio and video problems caused by bad caps, are ceasing to function at all. More people are becoming aware of the problem because more and more people are finding themselves with consoles that need to be recapped as these consoles age.

Very few Nintendo products will have capacitor problems any time in the foreseeable future, and the large majority of Sega consoles won't either. However some Sega consoles did get bad caps, and most Game Gear units got bad caps. An alarming number of Turbo Grafx / PC Engine consoles have bad caps that will need to be replaced, and the clock cap in the original Xbox will eventually have a 100% failure rate because it was a bad design choice on Microsoft's part.
>>
>>3208312
>>3206265
I know it's technically possible but I've had about 23 different consoles from all era's and NONE of them had any problems with capacitors.
>>
>>3202315
seconding the Vectrex
actual arcade vector graphics, goddamn I wish there had been more like that
>>
>>3200672
Meaning it has to be 3rd or 4th generation?

TG-16 easily.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.