[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What was your first retro game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 26
File: pokemon.jpg (17 KB, 479x320) Image search: [Google]
pokemon.jpg
17 KB, 479x320
What was your first retro game?
>>
>>3198912
MW2
>>
>>3198912
One that is actually retro.
>>
>>3198912
You're trolling, but, Sonic 1.
>>
>>3198912
What do you mean, first "retro game"? You mean "first game" right?
>>
>>3198927
yes
>>
>>3198912
Mario/Duckhunt, followed by The Legend of Zelda.
>>
>>3198927
There could be underaged kids who only played call of duty until their favorite eceleb told them to play Sonic or something.
>>
Dark Souls
>>
>>3198916
MechWarrior 2?
>>
>>3199028
Modern Warfare 2
>>
Either SMB/Duck Hunt, SMB3, Tetris, Ice Climbers, or Hang On & Safari Hunt on the Master System. Life memories at 2/3 years old is hazy at best.
>>
>>3198912
I remember playing some NES as a kid; in fact, there's still some pictures of me somewhere with the rectangle controller in hand. I remember Duck Hunt quite vividly, so I'll just say that's my first. Other games I remember as a child where Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Goldeneye, though I'm not sure if I ever played these (we only had an NES, my cousins had the N64).

The first game I ever really got into was Dave Mirra 2 for the Gamecube though. I was a 1996 birth so the GCN came out right about when I was old enough to actually know what I was doing with the controller. I got into retro gaming when I was 13 because I went back and played Super Mario Sunshine, liked it, and wanted to play Super Mario 64.
>>
>>3198912

>first retro game

What the does that even mean? Are you asking what's the first game I played? I don't remember the very first, this was early on anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MixXYnw58KA

I can tell you the first games I played on some consoles

NES mario bros

master system alex kidd in miracle world

megadrive tiny toons busters hidden treasure

SNES street fighter II
>>
Jill of the Jungle for DOS.
>>
Air Sea Battle
>>
>>3198912
tetris on the...snes, i think? i think the first game that impacted me was tiny toons adventures, i got far as fuck on that game but couldn't ever get past the first board on mario.

now i use cheats :(
>>
>>3198912
I guess it was probably the Super Mario Bros. / Duck Hunt combo game. We got it with the NES in 1986, I think.
>>
>>3199025
>>3199161
samefag
>>
Born in 95. Hard to say since my Dad had a pretty decent Playstation/Genesis collection since I could remember. If I were to make a guess it would either be Tekken 2 or Sonic 2.
>>
why ruin a perfectly good thread topic with that picture
>can't tell if trolling or just an idiot.jpg

anyway, Whip Rush for the Sega Genesis or Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions for GameBoy
>>
first game i played was f-zero
it was the early 2000s tho
>>
>>3198912
phantasy star
>>
>>3199003
And why would you want to acknowledge them and give them a chance to say something?
>>
>>3198912
Pong. No shit. Actual fucking Pong.
>>
Probably Frogger or that tank game on the Intellivision. Also kind of recall playing Space Invaders on an arcade thing they had at the grocery store when I had to go with my mom. Don't really remember much of anything pre-NES.
>>
Ninja turtles 1 on nes with a kid neighbour in 1989 (during kindergarten), then, a year later me and brothers got our nintendo and the mario/duck/track combo, what a fun christmas.
>>
File: 9999-in-1_-p2--!--0.png (6 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
9999-in-1_-p2--!--0.png
6 KB, 256x224
>>3199629
>>3198927
You guys DO realize some people in here are younger generation who got interested in retro stuff because old games are actually GOOD, instead of just it being nostalgia bait?

I was kind of halfway both, I was born in 1992 and didn't really play videogames until 1999 - but the first console I got was a Dendy. It came bundled with one of thos bootleg multicarts - it had Super Mario Bros, Dr Mario, Duck Hunt, Battle City and Wild Gunman - and a knockoff of Zapper (weird looking one too, it was shaped like a MP5 submachinegun). So yeah, I'd say those games above would be my first retro games? I mean, if we want to go into technicalities, Super Mario Bros was first on the list and the first one I played, so Super Mario Bros I guess.
(If you're curious, multicart was this one: http://bootleggames.wikia.com/wiki/Unchained_Melody_Multicarts#9999999-in-1 )

Also, unrelated: while looking for shit I found this crap:
http://huguesjohnson.com/features/nes-vs-sms/
dude thinks that Battletoads was a typical beatemup. That always cracks me up when shitty reviewers try to get away with playing just one level of the game and acting like they know shit.
>>
>>3200606
>I was kind of halfway both, I was born in 1992 and didn't really play videogames until 1999
Born 92' myself, though I played vidya ever since I was like 3 or 4.
I never made a distinction between "old games and new games", I just always played whatever, if it looked good, I would play it, be it old and dated or the shiny new hot thing, though that's not to say the shiny new games didn't also lure me in, though I like Quake 2 as a videogame, I'll fully concede that it was the (at the time) jawdropping graphics that pulled me in (those translucent, square, monochrome laser beams tho).
Syndicate Wars was dated as shit by the time I discovered it, but I still thought it was the coolest shit, again, if it was cool, it could be older than me and that didn't matter.

I never had a SNES (we had a NES, and later an N64), but I would emulate it's games, simply because I knew there were good games to find, and I wanted to play them, I still do to this day (of course, these days, I use a proper USB gamepad, MUCH better than playing with a keyboard).
>>
>>3200606
>>3202634
No one cares about your life stories.
>>
There's a picture of me, in an old IBM disc box (size of 2 shoe boxes, stacked) full of old pictures me dad took from 70s/80s and in it is one of me, between '88-'90 and I am playing super mario bros. with a red t-shirt and pull-ups.

looks like world 1-3. I'd post it if i had it. cause that TV i was playing on was the size of an ipod but the actual "tube" was about the size of a printer haha.
>>
>>3198926
Nigga.

Tie between sonic 1 and paperboy
>>
>>3198912
z-out for the amiga 500, an r-type clone
>>
>>3202638

Fucking millenials who think they are special snowflakes
>>
>>3199253
I was playing Mario 64 in 96 kek
>>
>>3202638
>>3202732
Why don't you jump up your mom's asshole?
>>
First game I can remember ever playing is Space Harrier on the Sega Master System. I was like 4 I believe. Still own the game, it's got alot of sentimental value to me.
>>
Probably Metroid 2, SML, or LoZ:LA

Spiderman 2 and Battle Unit Zeoth were a couple others I may have had that early.

I started with a Gameboy.
>>
>>3204061
Ohhhh wait. I played Dark Castle on my Grandpa's Macintosh. Then some maze game and some bullshit games like blackjack and wheel of fortune.
>>
>>3198912
> What was your first retro game?
It was probably Monkey Island.
An article in a gaming magazine back in 2006 got me into ScummVM.
After that, I started emulating GB and GBA, after that was SNES and Genesis, and after that was NES and SMS, and after that was NDS.

I literally never had a console in my life, and my PC could only ever run last-gen games - even nowadays I have a toaster PC with 2 GB RAM.
>>
>>3198912
Well as a kid it had to be some Atari game, god i dunno which though, we a few. But that was retro at the time. As a grown adult just getting in to retro scene I am play Phantasy Star 2 for the first time.
>>
>>3204124
holy shit i can't type today. I mean the Atari stuff wasn't retro at the time, it was cool and new!
>>
>>3200120
shit like that makes me feel old as hell anon
>>
>>3200120
95 as well. I have a bunch of older brothers so I was able to grow up with an NES and a genesis.

My first game might have been Kirby's Adventure or Mario 3.
>>
>>3200606
You're trying way too hard to justify your retro-gaming.
>>
I started on PS1, but not sure past that. Probably Rosco McQueen, or possibly something from Net Yaroze on a demo disc.
>>
Commander Keen 2: The Earth Explodes.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 945x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 945x1080
>>3198912
SEGA
>>
File: ss_7.png (4 KB, 314x268) Image search: [Google]
ss_7.png
4 KB, 314x268
Space Invaders on Tandy TRS-80

I can't believe the ages some of you were born, I could be your father. Good on you for liking these games and not the latest Bro Shooter 2016 on XBox Live.
>>
Sonic 2
>>
>>3198912
Super Mario Allstars
>>
>>3199003
1. I dont think /vr/ is a place with many kids.
2. Retrogames are games pre 2000 which one was your first?
>>
>>3205275

Not him, but;

It used to not be one, but it seems there's been a massive influx from other boards recently. Quality has hit the dumps.
>>
>>3205275
this >>3205279 is pretty spot on. /vr/ seems to have declined in quality a ton in the past year or so.
>>
File: 118124214334[1].jpg (69 KB, 486x955) Image search: [Google]
118124214334[1].jpg
69 KB, 486x955
this at the grocery store
>>
>>3200120
95 as well, my first game was Super Mario Bros DX on GBC.
>>
File: il_570xN.866980906_qmwu.jpg (62 KB, 570x391) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.866980906_qmwu.jpg
62 KB, 570x391
When I was a young kid during the Atari 2600 era a family friend gave me this 70s pong console, so I guess that. I think pic related, been a long time.
>>
>>3198998
Same.
>>
>>3198912
PC-MAN
>>
File: intellivision-console-pic.jpg (97 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
intellivision-console-pic.jpg
97 KB, 800x800
It was the late 80's/early 90's, was born in 86 and couldn't have been older than 3 or 4. Dad had one of these bad bitches with Pitfall and Burger Time, among other games that I can't seem to remember. Played the shit out of it and ended up with a NES for xmas that year.

Can't complain. Great introduction to video games.
>>
>>3205989
Huh sorta similar. First exposure was a gen 1-ish game (Eric the Adventurous Viking or something on Amstrad PC) despite being born in the 90s. The we got a Windows PC so they first game I "played" was probably Commander Keen or Doom (both first episode sharewares). Then we got a GB and SNES and my love of retro most strongly formed.
>>
File: zork_large.jpg (619 KB, 900x1279) Image search: [Google]
zork_large.jpg
619 KB, 900x1279
Zork on an Apple ][
>>
File: imgres.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
>>3198912

this is what i cut my teeth on man...

my uncle.. my moms lil bro is like 10years older than me and had a few of these and let me play them.. had other generic lcd type games and then i was bought an atari 2600 and then a sinclair spectrum 128k +2 thats my earliest gaming
>>
Final Fantasy 1 for the NES, first game I ever played. I was 3 and understood almost nothing, but my cousin helped me make a party on it.

He told me to use two fighters and two red mages, and 26 years later, I still wonder what was the logic in that.
>>
>>3198912
flirting with your mom in the 80's and getting that achievement of seeing her hairy vagina
>>
>>3206879
I hope a 14 year old wrote that.
>>
>>3204815
I literally play whatever looks good, not really either exclusively.

I figure, anyone who's seriously into videogames of any kind will inevitably get into retro at some point, you go back to play an older game you used to play a long while ago, then you start thinking
>What else was in this series?
>What else did these devs do?
>What are games that had a pivotal influence on these devs that is clearly present in these games?
>What else was in this genre, and how did they compete with each other?
>>
>>3206092
>announcing sage
Fuck off newfag.

>>3204073
Emulating on PC is one of the many gateway drugs.
>>
I think it was Snoopy and the Red Baron on the 2600. Either that or Centipede, also on 2600
>>
>>3198912
Tetris 2 on the Gameboy
>>
>>3207056
Honestly, I don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing the newest games. I always played at least last-gen games (think something along the lines of at least 5 years since the release date), and I've never felt like I was missing out.

Emulating on PC was just another way of getting games for me, and I can't give even zero shits about graphics and shit like that.
That said, I enjoyed the GB/GBC/GBA games the most, and the NES/SMS games the second-most.

I dunno, that's just the way I am.
>>
>>3198912
Super Mario World.

Not very original but... eh.
>>
>>3207101
>I dunno, that's just the way I am.

Like anyone cares about your personality? The fact that you've always acted as a leech and there would be no games if everyone was like you is not endearing.
>>
File: Jazz_For_Your_SouL.jpg (39 KB, 459x600) Image search: [Google]
Jazz_For_Your_SouL.jpg
39 KB, 459x600
Pole Position II on the Atari 7800 but kinda late, must have been 89/90 then
>>
>>3198912
Shining Force.
>>
>>3198912
PONG
>>
File: images-16.jpg (14 KB, 189x266) Image search: [Google]
images-16.jpg
14 KB, 189x266
Shin Megami Tensei I
>>
SMB 1 for the SNES
>>
File: Ethan spots a Shiny Charizard.jpg (269 KB, 1744x1264) Image search: [Google]
Ethan spots a Shiny Charizard.jpg
269 KB, 1744x1264
>>3198912
Pokemon Crystal. Also happened to be my first game in general.I remember 5 year old me wanting to get the game in mid 2001 and playing the shit out of it and loving the game until my sister broke it 5 years later.
>>
>>3198923
It's a remake of a retro game.
>>
Street Fighter 2. Oddly enough, I don't like fightans that much.
>>
I think it was either Galaga or a clone of Missile Command called Rocket Raid. In fact, I think those were some of my first games ever, even to this day I think their simplistic graphics and mechanics make them great for newcomers
>>
Donkey Kong Country on my friend's SNES.
>>
I grew up in PS2 era, but my dad had his friends SNES with some games, so I would say my first retro game was Donkey Kong Country. Otherwise, might have been one of those PS1 Midway or Atari compilations or maybe our plug and play namco and atari paddle consoles.
>>
I think it was something from the SNES like DKC or even from the bootleg Atari 2600 we had on the house but it was when I was 4 or something. Then, growing up, I would emulate a lot of SNES games and play on the PS1 because the SNES was a pain in the ass to connect with RF and with a trio of unresponsive controllers I preferred using the keyboard more.

Either way, let's say DKC on the SNES even though I was born in '97
>>
The Legend of Zelda
>>
It freaks me out that people are getting into games through non-retro games.
>>
File: captain_tsubasa.jpg (68 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
captain_tsubasa.jpg
68 KB, 600x413
>>3198912
pic related, also goal 3 (kunio kun the one about soccer)
>>
>>3202841
>Only 90s kids will get this joke.
>>
>>3198912
Megaman X3
>>
The first game I remember ever seeing was Super Off Road in an Arcade when I was probably 2 or 3. The first game I played was Super Mario Land for gameboy, which was my first system.
>>
>>3198912
I'd have to assume that it was atari, or an atari to pc port… maybe pac-man or Donkey Kong in arcade, or maybe some pong but the first video game that I vividly remember is Mario/ Duck hunt.
Just like the majority of people on this board… I assume.
>>
Born '91. My dad is a pretty avid gamer so there was an NES in the house when I was born. My earliest gaming memories are the Duck Hunt/Super Mario Bros combo cart and the *ktank ktank* of the Zapper.
>>
>>3198912
If Gen 3 Pokemon was your first retro game then I feel fucking old.
>>
>>3211578
That's a joke from somewhere? I just told you off for acting like a snide faggot.

>>3212605
He probably did it as a shitposting attempt and didn't expect a half-decent thread to materialize instead.

I'll admit that Gen 3 blew me away as a kid though, it was such a technological leap compared to Gen 1 & 2, I also was always fond of 16/32bit sprite graphics even as a kid, so it was a visual treat. Also it was fun.
>>
>>3213618
It's probably my favourite gen II. One was broken as fuck, 2 was okay. I feel like abilities and doubly battles really made for new interesting gameplay elements that stopped the game from being boring.
>>
strange question.
I suppose older than me would be some atari games. Yars revenge is pretty freakin sweet.
Tower of Druaga is my favorite classic namco game though.
>>
File: misdreavus.png (634 B, 96x96) Image search: [Google]
misdreavus.png
634 B, 96x96
>>3214942
It had more longevity as a game, yeah. I ran my clock battery dry after all these years though, but I guess there's always emulating that way, I can use hax to give myself a level 5 team of some of my favorites from around that time from the get-go. I never did play Emerald, either.

>>3214954
>Yars Revenge
Good shit, never got a lot of opportunity to play 2600 games as a kid, that shit was ancient by 92' and I rarely saw one as a kid.

Those games were so simple though, are there any official ports for phones these days?
>>
>>3198912
You mean "what's the first game you ever played?"

First "console" I ever had was a Gameboy.

First game I owned was... either Super Mario Land or Wario Land.

First game I ever played was... I dunno.. Duck Hunt maybe? Either that or Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>3212538
>The first game I played was Super Mario Land for gameboy, which was my first system

Are you ME?

Actually, the Gameboy belonged to my sister, but I kinda usurped it/played it more.
>>
File: 1647_front.jpg (87 KB, 640x632) Image search: [Google]
1647_front.jpg
87 KB, 640x632
I wanted a Game Boy with Link's Awakening but the store didn't have a copy of it anymore so my parents got me this shitty game instead.
>>
>>3216330
Did you at least get it later?
>>
>1998 was 18 years ago
>>
My first console as a kid was the ps1, but the only games I remember owning for that were legend of dragoon, ffix, and some wrestling games. I used to spend more of my time at my friends house playing his PlayStation, he had better games.

However when I got a little older my sister had one of those Atari things that stores like 100 games on it and when you turn it on you pick which game to play. There was some baseball game for that I used to love

Sorry, my childhood was actually pretty shitty so I don't remember much from it
>>
>>3200606
I am younger (19), but Firered/leafgreen are in no way retro. Maybe original red/blue. I cringed at the OP.

My first was Super RC Pro Am for the game boy. Then River Raid for the atari 2600 in my grandparents' attic.
>>
File: th.jpg (9 KB, 113x170) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
9 KB, 113x170
Earliest game I remember getting, this or Super Mario Kart.
>>
>>3208894
It's a piece of shit and isn't in and of itself retro though.

After RC Pro Am and the 2600, the first retro game I actually played a lot was pokemon crystal. I was always way behind the current-gen consoles because the old ones were cheaper at the time. Fuck collectors for driving up the prices of formerly sanely priced games, BTW. they are literally hitler.
>>
>>3213618
3 didnt feel like pokemon anymore to me.
4 made yhe problem worse by far though.
>>
>>3216268
>it's IMPOSSIBURU to replace a watch battery
Okay, why don't you let me have the cart then if you're not going to bother saving it? because I will.
>>
>>3220249
same, i got it for christmas in 95 or 96 i think. i have a very early memory of playing dr. mario with my mom.
>>
File: PS_3DSVC_NinjaGaiden.png (27 KB, 456x409) Image search: [Google]
PS_3DSVC_NinjaGaiden.png
27 KB, 456x409
>>3198912
>>
>>3208384
>>>/2/chan
>>
>>3220263
I've never tried, I don't really know the process.
I assumed they were like, soldered onto the board or something, but they're not, then?

>>3220260
4 felt more distinctly like a departure from the originals than 3 did, in my opinion (and not as good).
I've enjoyed 5 and 6 well enough though, to be honest.
>>
Since I'm the youngest of 3 brothers, there was already a game system - either an Atari or then the NES - in my house pretty much my whole life. So while I can't say for certain what my first game was, the earliest one I remember playing was Mario 2.
>>
The first season of Sword Art Online
>>
Some shit on the Atari 5200.
>>
File: Electricfootball1970.jpg (78 KB, 712x299) Image search: [Google]
Electricfootball1970.jpg
78 KB, 712x299
>>3198912
I'm old enough that I can say without reservation that there was nothing 'retro' when I was growing up.

Maybe fucking electronic football.
>>
File: Disgusted Zizek.jpg (109 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted Zizek.jpg
109 KB, 500x500
>>3220253
>Firered
>Piece of Shit
Kill yourself, my man. It may not be retro, but it's certainly not shit, you dick-sucking faggot
>>
File: video_image-376414.jpg (78 KB, 706x970) Image search: [Google]
video_image-376414.jpg
78 KB, 706x970
As far as I can remember, Duck Hunt. It was a rather simple game and really clicked with my stupid child brain. After that, Super Mario Bros.
>>
>remembering this
>>
File: Freddys_Rescue_Roundup_ingame.jpg (151 KB, 640x405) Image search: [Google]
Freddys_Rescue_Roundup_ingame.jpg
151 KB, 640x405
>>3198912
It wasn't retro when i played it.
>>
Checkers HAHAHA
Lion King
>>
Cadillac and Dinosaurs in the arcades.
Mods should do their job and ban
this type of threads they are not even funny,just plain shitposting.
>>
>>3211495

my nigga
>>
>>3227667
>he bred raptors
>>
File: spaceinvaders.gif (2 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
spaceinvaders.gif
2 KB, 256x192
This version of Space Invaders for the ZX81
>>
>>3227373
>walk through area
>use 6 different four move combinations on other four move combination enemies

>repeat

>win game
>>
>>3232069
You can deconstruct near all JRPGs in similar ways you faggot.
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.