[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Full video with info: https://youtu.be/QDiHgKil8AQ So ther
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: pure sexy 64.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
pure sexy 64.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
Full video with info:
https://youtu.be/QDiHgKil8AQ

So there are new ways to remove the Vaseline smear that is the N64 AA + Blur filter combo.

The Anti Aliasing can be partly done with just a Gameshark, but its easier to do with an Everdrive flashcart with aps rom patches found here for the No-Intro rom set, which the Everdrive can automatically apply:
http://n64.poregon.com/shared/

More info and tools:
http://www.retrorgb.com/n64blur

Right now, the only way to remove the Blur filter is with this hardware mod:
http://www.retrorgb.com/ultrahdmi.html
>>
It has a shitload of glitches.

Still don't understand why anyone would bother.
>>
>>3198236
Seems to be with dithering, but that only really seems to be a big problem if you use the HDMI mod.
>>
>>3198238
The HDMI mod has its own problems. Sure our resident shill will hop in soon. If he isn't here already.
>>
File: jaggy.jpg (24 KB, 418x354) Image search: [Google]
jaggy.jpg
24 KB, 418x354
i'll take "no change" thanks
>>
>>3198231

i like the game shark versions because DK looks fuzzy and gorillas are fuzzy
>>
This is gay. There's no point to any of this, at the end of the day nothing is going to change the fact that you're dealing with a 240p signal that was never meant to be displayed on an HDTV.
>>
>>3198271
I don't know what is people's obsession with making graphics look more primitive.

Yes we must scanline everything, visible pixels, jaggies, and dithering to the max!
>>
>>3198279
This assumes every AA algorithm is equal, which is untrue.
>>
>>3198280
I've been following these threads and even the people that developed the hacks agree the games look better with the Gameshark AA code off. About the only thing people like is the HDMI De-Blur mode which never had anything to do with AA in the first place.

Starfox 64 looks like garbage when you turn the dither filter off. So much mach banding. The N64 was hardly unique in the way it processed its image, I would say the Voodoo cards did 80% of the same stuff except they ran at higher resolution.

The AA and dither filters were done for a reason. There was a problem with the unfiltered jaggies images that needed fixing and the engineers who developed these systems addressed them. Look at >>3198245
it's obvious the N64's AA actually did its job of removing the staircase effect. For such an old piece of hardware that's brilliant.

But nooooooo it doesn't look like fucking 2D pixel art manga shmups that neckbeards masturbate to so we must shit on the hard work of these engineers and make graphics look like eye cancer.
>>
>>3198284
Can confirm, I played Starfox 64 with the gameshark codes to turn off aa and it looks like ass. Some textures look nicer but the obnoxious dithering negates any improvement.

N64 games have their own look. The blurry textures are a downside but the N64 has the cleanest and sharpest 3d rendering of the 5th gen by far.
>>
zoomed in comparisons are always a little dishonest, I think. Already bad enough they're not in motion.

Still, I prefer the leftmost variant
>>
>>3198302
also doesn't help that for some reason there's a group of people that needs to see the raw polygons, as if that's somehow a more true image or something. Polygons are just the means, not an end
>>
>>3198231
I like second to left the most, I think.
>>
File: conker4.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
conker4.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>3198296
The 'better textures' by turning VI filter off are really caused by fake detail from the dithering and noise artifacts. On small textures it's kinda hard to tell, but on larger ones like in Starfox 64, just as you saw from your own experience, you can really see it for what it is - dithering.

The other thing is that many games would have been designed around this kind of filtering, giving the game that 'N64 look', taking it away just compromises the developers vision of how the game is supposed to look.

But yeah the biggest problem with N64 games is many developers didn't know how to texture for shit (and Nintendo surprisingly is included in that for the most part). Rare on the other hand really knew how to make the system sing - the textures in Rare games look amazing.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.