[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into Final Fantasy games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 36
File: image.jpg (230 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
230 KB, 900x900
I beat 1, 2, 3 and 4, and the gameplay is okay. I feel like they're too linear and the stories aren't that captivating. I'm currently on 5, but I don't know if I should stick with this series.

I'm playing the games in order, by the way.
>>
>>3196540

At the very least give 6 a try, it's definitely the highlight of the retro series.
>>
You're only getting to the best part. Honestly, 1-3 are very archaic if you're not a JRPG buff in the first place, and IV is just overrated garbage.

V is the best game in the series however, and VI and VII are iconic for a reason. Keep playing.
>>
6 is GOAT but 5 is second GOAT because of the class system. 7 was revolutionary because it's "three-dee" but after that the series takes a plunge and really gets away from the medieval setting with knights and wizards and stuff. I mean 7 already did with the cars and stuff, but whatever, at the time it wasn't the norm yet.
>>
>>3196556
also 9 went back to the old style but then the series went off the rails again
>>
>>3196540
You're deciding to give up just when the series is about to really shine and catch momentum. Stick with it, I'm sure you'll enjoy V a lot, it's what III should have been.

Which game was your favorite between I - IV?
>>
File: ATBclassesbg.png (415 KB, 616x563) Image search: [Google]
ATBclassesbg.png
415 KB, 616x563
Final Fantasy has the coolest jobs
>>
>>3196625
I: Pretty fun. Short and simple, but nothing interesting about the story.
II: Combat was shit, but I still enjoyed the game overall. They could've done more with Leon (seriously, his reveal as the Dark Knight was so obvious).
III: Played the DS version and hated it. 30-40 hours of grinding and a shitty last dungeon.
IV: It was okay and felt cheesy as times.

I'd say I and IV were pretty good out of the FF games I've played to be honest.
>>
File: 1437271877305.jpg (107 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1437271877305.jpg
107 KB, 800x450
>>3196645
If you didn't make Refia a qt thief you played the game wrong.

Which of the 10,000 versions of IV did you play? It probably has the worst story of any of them regardless.
>>
>>3196652
PSP for FFIV.
>>
>>3196556
>after that the series takes a plunge and really gets away from the medieval setting with knights and wizards

You're saying the one where you start in a mecha suit WASN'T the first one to start veering away from the classic fantasy setting?

The actual answer is that even the first Final Fantasy had sci-fi influences, reinforced in the ports with the greater role of the Lufenians.
>>
V has GOAT sound track. If VI and VII don't grab you try Dragon Quest
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (21 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
21 KB, 480x360
>>3196659
FUCK YEAR WARMECH
>>
>>3196657
That's the best one imo. A lot of people hate the sprites but I loved them.
>>
Even if you aren't fond of the numerical ones, you should at least give Final Fantasy Tactics a try. Personally, I prefer the War of the Lions version (there's a patch you can download to fix the lag issue if that bothers you), mostly because of how much I prefer dialogue that's wordy and eloquent, but also because Dark Knights.
>>
>>3196698

Having grew up with the PS1 version of FFT; and then playing the Lion War version, the wording was really offputting to me. I still enjoyed the game but the different names etc. bugged the hell out of me.
>>
>>3196721
l i t t l e m o n e y
>>
File: Perverted Princesses.jpg (597 KB, 1000x1300) Image search: [Google]
Perverted Princesses.jpg
597 KB, 1000x1300
>>3196745
I kinda want to doodle Wiegraf in a hip-hop getup and have his stage name be Li'l Money.

I mean, I already draw Final Fantasy stuff anyway (most of it is shipping, unfortunately), so why not?
>>
>>3196540
>I feel like they're too linear and the stories aren't that captivating.

The stories are linear but you have tons of side quests and secret stuff in every game.

The stories are shit in all of them. You should focus on the gameplay instead. V in particular is very lighthearted in that regard; simply story about an adventurer going on an adventure, but the gameplay is probably the best in the series due to the endless combination of jobs you can do.
>>
>>3196824
I'd say the stories are shit but character plots are nice.
>>
>>3196838

I'd say out of the retro entries VI has the least shitty story, and it shines with the individual characters. Especially in the second half when you regroup your allies (optional!) you get to learn so much about them.

That level of characterization is pretty unique in retro JRPG. I'd say only Breath of Fire III comes close, but that has a much smaller cast of characters.
>>
I wanted to make a thread about FFII and saw this so I might as well post it here. So I finished the psp version of FFII and I must say it's quite impressive for what it is. Putting the level up system aside the game has really a nice plot for such a old game. I must admit that I like it more than everything up to FFVI. The main villain and his motivations are quite simple but the same can be said about any ruler starting a war for land and influence. FFIII is not a step but a leap backwards in terms of plot. The soundtrack was also nice. Overall it's a great game doomed by it's mechanics and not because the idea behind them, but the implementation itself. I feel as FFII in the one game in the series that could seriously benefit from a modern remake even if just for the sake of fully realized Amano designs - of which we could see a glimpse in Dissidia.
>>
stop after 9 but skip 8
>>
>>3196861
>Overall it's a great game doomed by it's mechanics and not because the idea behind them, but the implementation itself.

well how would you have them implemented?
the psp version did a good job of updating the game imo
I'd probably scrap the spell system in favour of the ra/aga/aja system because I found raising spell levels through use to be tedious, but otherwise I didn't have a problem with the leveling system
I loved the sense of urgency the game had, and how the emperor felt like a constant threat
the fact that he also got to rule over both heaven and hell was badass
definitely an underrated FF villain
>>
File: Howtheyshouldlook.png (4 KB, 64x100) Image search: [Google]
Howtheyshouldlook.png
4 KB, 64x100
i like all the final fantasy games except for 13 and its sequels and I'm not too fond of 14 either. 11's time has come and gone and is never coming back.

None of them except for the ones I mentioned are "bad" games, and I'm not exactly a super fan so don't take my opinion like its coming from some chocobo fucker. It's just around these parts you have really opinionated anons that typically pick a FF to focus all their hate on when for the most part they really are good games.

Basically OP, keep playing till you find one you really like. There is no consensus among fans. NONE. Absolutely none. The closest thing we fans have to a consensus is that 13 is an abomination and that its fans just don't know any better, but even then its just an opinion.

Avoid the mobile ports and just try not to take saving the world too seriously and you'll find your personal FF.
>>
>>3196991
>play 9
>but not 8
Dont do this
>>
>>3196540
Play 6. 7 is good too (don't play the original, play the fan translation). After that it's all over.
>>
>>3196854
>VI has the least shitty story

That's not saying much though. It's your completely generic, vanilla, rebel forces vs evil empire story.
>>
>>3197292
What does the fan translation add? Why is it better?

>>3197286
Why do people hate 8 and 13? They look like visually appealing games...
>>
>>3196540
You're almost halfway through the retro series. Wtf is wrong with you? I don't like Dragon Quest, it only took me one game to figure that out, not play through all 11 of them to "feel the series out".

You stupid daft fucking idiot cunt. Jesus
>>
>>3196801
Please do this lmao. Please. It'll be my phone background
>>
>>3197395
Kill yourself.

I have heard that the early games don't even come close to the other entries in the series, which is why I have decided to stick with it.
>>
>>3197395
How can he show everyone online how cool he is if he doesn't beat all the popular retro games?
>>
>>3197330
XIII has a lengthy battle tutorial (it locks down the system for nearly half the game), questionable at times writing and Snow being the single most annoying character in the franchise but it's a decent game. The battle system is one of the best, beat only by its own reiterations in the sequels. Lightning is one of the better MCs and it's a very good looking game.

Play it yourself and judge it. Listen to no one that says to ignore X game in the series, especially the ones who talk about "mash X to win"
>>
>>
File: 200.gif (889 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
200.gif
889 KB, 240x200
>>3197534
>>
File: 4333561605.jpg (46 KB, 776x602) Image search: [Google]
4333561605.jpg
46 KB, 776x602
>>3197395
>stupid
>daft
>fucking
>idiot
>cunt
>Jesus
>>
>>3197534
Worst one of these I've seen in awhile
>>3197471
Not the guy you told to "kill yourself" to but there's literally no link between FF games so if you saw you didn't enjoy the early ones, you could've tried a later title. There's no reason at all to subject yourself to 20+hour games you don't enjoy.
>>
>>3197789
Listen dumbass, while there is little to no link in story elements between games, the gameplay mechanics and overall progression is extremely similar between games. Get a brain.
>>
>>3197808
"Kill yourself" guy here.

I didn't even complain about the gameplay mechanics, stupid sisterfucker. Also, looking at screenshots of the other FF games, there's a huge difference between I and VII. Once again, kill yourself.
>>
>>3197808
>>3197895

Hey you two, let's everybody be cool, ok? Cool it
>>
>>3197910
He comes into my thread and insults me. Look, I really want to enjoy the FF games, and I don't really mind spending countless of hours into the games. It's just that the ones I've played so far aren't as good as some people make it to be, in my opinion.
>>
>>3197808
What the fuck are you so hostile about? I didn't even say anything rude, I just suggested playing a newer title and not in order since there's no reason. Grow up if that simple suggestion aggravates you.
>>
>>3197895
Gee, an NES game looks different from a PS1 game? I wonder why.

It doesn't matter how they look, the mechanics of the gameplay are almost identical. Are you aware of what an RPG is? See, your character has "stats" like "health" and "magic", and so do the monsters you fight. Your goal is to use your "attack" and "magic" skills to kill the monster before he kills you. YOU DO THIS IN LITERALLY EVERY FINAL FANTASY GAME
>>
>>3197940
Your testosterone rage is becoming more and more apparent with each post. Please chemically castrate yourself. Faggot.
>>
>>3197956
>I'm 15
>>
>>3197940
>all the games have stats and you kill monsters so they're identical

you're legitimately retarded
no seriously, your post might be dumber than anything I've seen on /v/
kill yourself
>>
>>3197330

I don't know about them but I personally recommend VIII. It's a good game with a fun battle system, the storyline can get a bit derpy at times but overall I think it's really quite nice.
>>
>>3197940
>apples are consumable
>pies are consumable
>you use your mouth to devour apples and pies
>THEYRE THE SAME EXACT THING
>>
>>3197986
False equivalence. Sorry kid.
>>
>>3196745
Having played the intro to the game innumerable times because I always give up on it, this made me laugh heartily. Thank you sir.
>>
>>3197404
On it.
>>
>>3196540

This might be a bit of an unpopular opinion around here, but I really think the series peaked with VII-IX on ps1. I loved V and VI as well, but there's something really special about the presentation of the 5th gen games. The pre-rendered backgrounds are among the best ever done and really pull you into the worlds. The dialogue and characterization improved starting with 7, which helps the storytelling aspects. The music especially is top notch, Nobuo did an amazing job with the psx sound capabilities. FMV's, which I normally hate, actually work quite well in the FF games.

Also you should definitely try Tactics if you haven't.
>>
Five is a great game in the series if you play it after some of the games that came after it.
>>
Best versions of retro FF games:
>I
PSP/iOS
>II
PSP/iOS
>III
PSP/iOS/Steam
>IV
PSP for original 2D version, Steam/iOS for 3D remake
>V
GBA with sound restoration patch
>VI
GBA with sound restoration, color restoration, uncensored sprites and general violence (uncensored Celes torture scene) patches
>VII
Steam
>VIII
Steam
>IX
iOS/Steam

I personally started with Final Fantasy I and I suggest you do so as well but I think Final Fantasy VI and VII will hook you into FF more.
Final Fantasy I is still a good first if you don't expect too much from it.
>>
>>3196657
This was my favorite out of the series, and I absolutely loved the psp version.
>>
>>3197910
Fuck you.
>>
>>3199029
Holy shit filtered. Reccing the steam versions of 7-9 Jesus Christ.
>>
>>3197330

I haven't played it but I'm guessing it mostly fixes the glaring Engrish that's present throughout the game.
>>
File: image.jpg (146 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
146 KB, 1280x720
>>3199112
>>
>>3199029
For OP's sake, etc..

The latest versions of FF 1 & 2 are dumbed down. Origins is better for both.

FF3's definitive experience is still on the NES. Find the fan translation. Interface improvement hacks are beginning to surface as well.

FF 5 & 6 are still best on the SNES visually and aurally, unless you like a limited screen dimensions and. fuzzy sound. There are some great patch options out there to bring FF6's script up to the quality of the GBA and to uncensor its graphics.
>>
>>3199174
FFII on PSP isn't dumbed down but adjusted withing reason to not be a boring mess of self mutilation.
>>
>>3197292
There is nothing wrong with 7's official translation outside of a couple typos. It's part of the charm anyway.

FF13 was the only one I could honestly say had a good story, which thank god because that's the only thing it was really pushing. I liked how your party were not buddies who joined up to save the world out of the goodness of their hearts or because it was the right thing to do. They were all forced into it by circumstances and a lot of times were really annoying with each other and argued but overcame it because their own well beings were at stake. The game also looked pretty nice too. I remember being really impressed by the shimmer effects on Fang's dress. It's a solid game despite the hand holding.
>>
File: get.jpg (66 KB, 600x898) Image search: [Google]
get.jpg
66 KB, 600x898
>>3199110

I own the Steam versions of FF7-FF9. There is literally no issue here.

>FF7

Music was fixed forever ago. Game looks and plays great. You don't even need any mods for this one, but they're available to you if you want them.

>FF8

Music mod is easily installed with FF8+. Game looks and plays great. There are also a plethora of other mods but the music one is the only necessary one.

>FF9

Game is great. New models look great. Game boosters such as the speed up booster make mini games like Choco Hot+Cold go by insanely fast thereby reducing the repetition involved. No mods available yet as far as I know(probably wrong on this) but the music is fantastic and the only glitch I encountered was a sound glitch where the Elixir use sound effect was cut off before it finished playing.

Basically, theres nothing wrong with the Steam versions of the games and you sound incredibly ignorant there bub.

>>3199269

Agreed on 13, but only partially. The only good character in that game is Sazh tbqfh.
>>
File: final fantasy off course.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
final fantasy off course.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>3199135
>>3199112
>>
>>3199420
>muh achievements
>muh HD graphicks and soundtrack

ffIx's Steam UI looks like shit too
>>
File: 01c16a82.jpg (339 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
01c16a82.jpg
339 KB, 1280x1024
>>3199269
XIII also has the best soundtrack out of the lot of them, if you ask me. XIII-2's sillier songs "EVERYBODY'S GONNA WANNA RIDE YOUR CHOCOBO" are great too, and help reinforce that the game doesn't take itself too seriously, except at key points. It was just meant to be all-around a genuinely fun game except for that cliffhanger ending, what the fuck.

Favorite Final Fantasy song ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXl4pwzwSa8

Favorite Final Fantasy is and probably always will be Tactics. War of the Lions version is best, especially if you get the patch that fixes the slowdown. Also has best waifu in the whole franchise.

Beautiful Cinnamon Roll Too Good For This World, Too Pure
>>
>>3199269
Hand holding? I've seen 13 accused of a lot of things but that's a new one. If anything it was too difficult for most FF fans.
>>
>>3199470
Hand holding because the game wouldn't let you choose your own parties until 20 hours in. It was a massive tutorial for most of the game.
>>
>>3199462

Am I the only one who prefers the original PSX version of FFT?

Eitherway though, War of the Lions still good, FFT is one of the best games ever made.

My waifu Meliadoul.
>>
Why is Final Fantasy so popular? I've never played any of them, but the gameplay looks like Runescape where you just take turns hitting each other.
>>
>>3199474
This. Once you get to Gran Pulse and are on the Archylte Steppe, there's a lot of shit that can wipe the floor with you, and the Oretoises (except maaaybe the Adamanchelids) can oneshot you.
>>
File: Floral Fantasy.jpg (965 KB, 1200x1550) Image search: [Google]
Floral Fantasy.jpg
965 KB, 1200x1550
>>3199475
You're not the only one, I've met a lot of people who are willing to debate on it. Either version is great.

And yeah, Meliadoul is awesome waifu material too. All the shit she has to go through makes me wanna give her a great big hug and let her cry on my shoulder for a bit. Let's see...

>raised as an ascetic warrior by asshole father
>fed lies by church her entire life
>asshole father is in fact a complete monster
>asshole father/complete monster kills her brother
>has to witness one of her father’s closest associates also turn into a complete monster before believing Ramza
>has to kill asshole father/complete monster, as well as all of his friends/her 'uncles'
>has to kill Saint Ajora/Jesus
>probably dies a virgin in a fiery explosion

That's why I went and drew this, the two of them deserve to have a relaxing day in a field full of flowers, and then some.
>>
>>3199479
Are you new to turn based fighting systems in general?
>>
>>3199448

I never said anything about achievents anon. Get your eyes checked.

The ui also isnt all that bad but I guess youre 100% sure of your ignorant shitposting self. Good on you bro.
>>
>>3199508
Yeah. I'm not much of a gamer, but I'm interested in final fantasy because my older sister used to play it all the time. She passed a way a few months ago, and I really want to try a FF game.
>>
>>3199515
Play FFVI then it's the defining classic FF. If you like it try the others.
>>
>>3199503

That's a cool ass drawing dude, saved. Also yeah, Meliadoul had it really rough. Everytime I play the game I feel bad for her, probably more than almost any character in a videogame.
>>
>>3199515
Well... fuck, man. Sorry for your loss. If you wanna get into it, there are a few games that are crucial entries that mark significant points in the series' history, and you should probably start there. I, III, IV, VI, VII, and IX are the biggest ones in that regard, if you ask me. Tactics is the very best offshoot game in the franchise, and if you think you can deal with a turn-based tactical RPG's system, I'm pretty sure you'll love it.

There are, obviously, different opinions on this, so prepare to get bombarded with suggestions.
>>
>>3199532
Thanks. Picked up a pencil when I was 2, haven't put it down since. I've mostly done Steven Universe and Ruby Gloom stuff for /co/ lately, but Final Fantasy is definitely my main source of gaming fanart, especially Tactics. Been trying to draw Agrias and Meliadoul in a Dark Knight getup for awhile now, but I can't quite get it right, they end up looking a little too stiff. Working on Gangsta Rapper Wiegraf as we speak.
>>
>>3199535

He should probably play X too. I mean, I know most fans seem to be polarized on it but chances are his sister really liked it. I've met a lot of female FFX fans.
>>
>>3199547
True. X was fun enough for me, and you can call me a blasphemer if you want, but I actually like X-2 more. That's mostly because it's absolutely silly, and the Charlie's Angels aesthetic was fun too.
>>
>>3199535
>>3199545
Should I be playing the FF games in chronological order? I'm more of a reader than a gamer, so what's the most story-intensive FF game? I heard the FF games are quite good at building and telling stories. Also, I'm actually female haha. Not that it matters anyway, I just think it's funny when people assume I'm a guy online.
>>
>>3199564
Numbered FF games all take place in different universes and aren't connected to each other.
>>
>>3199561
X-2 has the best and fastest battle system in the series. Loved that, even if the plot was nonsense.
>>
>>3199564
The first one that's truly story-intensive is IV, but II has some semblance of one as well. VI is basically a bunch of stories that separate and converge at different points, and is one of the better ones, narratively speaking. VII is another that's more of a storyteller, and VIII is basically a romance story. IX takes the best of everything pre-VII and mashes it together, one of the best stories in the retro Final Fantasy games. Playing them in order is absolutely not a requirement, the only ones that aren't standalones are ones that are explicitly titled as sequels (IV has Interlude and The After Years, X has X-2, XIII has XIII-2 and Lightning Returns). XII and the Tactics Advance games supposedly take place in the same world as Tactics, but at different points in the timeline, so they're not required to be played in any order. Vagrant Story may also be in Ivalice, which has been a matter of debate between fans and developers.
>>
>>3199561

damn i hated x-2

mostly because i felt like at its core it was so close to being good but instead the whole thing felt cringey and uncomfortable
>>
File: XfDrxp4.jpg (587 KB, 1264x1633) Image search: [Google]
XfDrxp4.jpg
587 KB, 1264x1633
>>3197404
>>3198176
Aaaand done. It's all just pencil, but I feel like it captures what I was going for well enough. That's a squirt gun he's holding, by the way.
>>
>>3199573
>Numbered FF games all take place in different universes and aren't connected to each other.

Short response: Yes, with a but.
Much longer response: No, with a technically.
>>
>>3197294
>he played 1/3 of the way through the game
>>
>>3199975
Holy shit I had a chuckle, nice. You should color it in one day. I'm still using it as a wallpaper doe.
>>
>>3199420
9's backgrounds look like fucking shit in comparison and I don't know about the rest but FFVIII's music or whatever wasn't compressed and the files massive as well as requiring you to link through Square-Enix. Absolutely no reason to use the steam version over the PS1. Especially if you're bent on not emulating and owning the games, physical copies are 10$ for FFVIII and IX and like 20 for VII. Also, why the shit do you need to mod a 7-9 at all? The steam versions are in no way better.
>>
>>3200362
I probably will, just not at the moment.
>>
>>3199219
I for the life of me cannot understand this wimp attitude everyone seems to have. I beat this game for the first time when I was 11 and got a kick out of the challenge, and now all of these apparently experienced adults throw fits if they can't breeze through the game with a party of unspecialized paladins and red mages.
>>
File: 1449519195203.gif (398 KB, 294x266) Image search: [Google]
1449519195203.gif
398 KB, 294x266
>>3200385

9's backgrounds look just as good as 7's and 8's. You obviously haven't played the games, pal.

You're complaining about 8's music when I said the problem is easily fixed when you use FF8+. Linking through square Enix isn't even a real issue.

>why do you need to mod?

Because you can and there are some neat mods. Some of the mods fix the problems you mention as well.

Basically bub, you're ignorant as fuck. I also did not say the Steam versions were 'better'. Re-read my post.
>>
I adored X when I was younger, replayed it recently and felt it hadn't held up too well. But if you don't mind dialogue so corny it would make the pope weep then you might enjoy it.
>>
>>3196548
>V is the best
yess

also XII but thats not retro yet is it
>>
>>3201980

Just my personal opinion but I hated everything about X. The dialogue was so freaking bad, the characters were uninteresting besides Yuna, blitzball or whatever just sucked so much ass, the game was linear, the battles were boring, man I really hate X.

Not a shitpost, just an opinion.
>>
>>3201990
I love the battle system and the basic idea behind the plot, that's about it.
>>
>>3201994

I like the plot, I think it would have been great without Tidus dumbass ruining everything. If they revamped the battle system, replaced blitzball with something funner, and revamped the dialogue, it would actually be a good game. The premise is good, the execution is poor.
>>
File: 13.jpg (29 KB, 672x440) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
29 KB, 672x440
>>3201990
The only neat thing about the battle system was the turn order visual cue and the ability to switch characters without wasting one turn.
>>
>>3201980
>>3201990
>>3201994
>>3201997
>>3201998

I love X. Everything from the story and music to the battle system and extra content.

The lack of a world map really wasn't that big of a deal to me but I would have appreciated it. In FF games, the "open" aspect is just an illusion. There is a set path for you to follow to continue the games story in each game. In FFX you still could go and do some side quests or mini games as a distraction from the story which is the same as every other FF.

I'm fiendishly good at Blitzball and have fun with it STILL to this day. I fire it up once in a while. I wish they'd release an updated standalone budget title that's just Blitzball, but that'll probably never happen. The Monster Arena was also pretty great.

If I have any complaints with X that aren't voice acting related, it would probably be the Sphere Grid. It's pretty cool at first. Really unique even. By the time you're at post-game content you wish it was traditional though as you have to fill in all the empty holes with spheres. This lets you customize your characters stats a bit, but in the end just isn't all that great to use and takes too much time.
>>
>>3201958
No, the backgrounds look like shit in comparison to the ps1's but go ahead and claim otherwise, you're obviously too thick headed of a shitlord. Also, it's completely unnecessary to even have to bother with any mods, any linking, etc since you can just fucking emulate the games without the hassle or play the hard copies. You obviously just have a fucking hardon for steam, it's okay, but don't be a fucking lying ass and reccommend the steam versions as THE versions to play like you did in your original post when there's better alternatives. Go ahead and give some additional "hurr durr the steam version is adequate, fuck you, you're ignorant" reply to this post. Just know your statement as the recommended version to play will always be wrong, you passive aggressive moron.
Done replying to your stupid ass.
>>
>>3202012

>No the backgrounds look like shit

They look the same. You clearly do not own these games. Stop pretending that you do. I own all of them on both platforms and they literally look the same.

>You obviously have a hardon for Steam

How? Because I'm defending the ports? How can I lose enough braincells to also make this sort of retarded jump in logic?

You're a fucking retard dude. The ports are fine.
>>
>>3199029
what about hi-res patches for 7-8 ?
>>
>>3202012

Also, re-read my post. I didn't claim that they were definitive.

Holy shit dude. Not only are you illiterate, but you're a fucking asshole.
>>
File: image.png (110 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
110 KB, 640x1136
>>3202024
I said I was done but holy shit what does best version mean to you, you fucking numb nuts.
>>
File: 1360256380267.png (72 KB, 394x397) Image search: [Google]
1360256380267.png
72 KB, 394x397
>>3202029

that is not my original post you fucking idiot

Look at the name. My FIRST post was >>3199420

gj you fucking moron
>>
>>3202034
Yeah sure it isn't you, really hard to remove the name field. And my whole point was they are not the fucking best versions, so why the fuck are you opening your mouth to me?
Hmm?
Oh because it's fucking you in both posts.
They are not the best versions of the games and should not be the ones you choose to play when better alternatives are available and without issues. If you said it's not the best version then you had no fucking reason to even reply to me unless it was you that I initially replied to.
Quit being retarded, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>3201990
these >>3201994 >>3201998
and the boss music was nice.

what i really hated:
>no world map
>missed a collectible (magazine or what was it), you couldn't go back for it
>blitzball
>>
File: kermitthefrogkermit.jpg (28 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
kermitthefrogkermit.jpg
28 KB, 300x400
>>3202040

>oh because its fucking you in both posts

Except it isn't pal. You're the only one being retarded here. I have NEVER used the name field on 4chan before and even if I did, I would not call myself Swift.

I replied to you because you shat on the Steam versions like the ignorant faggot you are when they really are not bad. You're being hypersensitive and hyperbolic with regard to those versions of the game, when they're fine AND you can mod them. There are reasons why people go with them over hard copies. You're elitist. You're ignorant. You're fucking moronic.

My recommendation to you is to fuck off like the stupid phoneposter that you are.
>>
>>3202052
Fucking lol. I actually work and don't sit at a desk you piece of shit and just got off my 8 hours while you jack it all day, Jesus Christ pulling the phone poster strawman out. And people turn to them because
1) they're too retarded to figure out emulation
2) don't own physical copies

Those are the only fucking reason people go to them. There's no need to mod the games, and the WHOLE FUCKING point I'm making is that they are not the DEFINITIVE VERSIONS. What don't you fucking understand about this? The shitlord >(You) said that they were the best versions. They are not. That is literally my entire point and YOU even said that they aren't the definitive versions. WHAT THE FUCK are you still replying for? Did I hurt your little feelings by being an asshole? Jesus Christ, man the fuck up and accept when you're wrong.
>>
File: oakkkk.jpg (10 KB, 230x219) Image search: [Google]
oakkkk.jpg
10 KB, 230x219
>>3202067

>I actually work while you jack it all day

There you go again, jumping to conclusions like a fucking idiotic /v/ poster. Isn't that where you should be?

>too retarded to figure out emulation

Hardly. There are perks to these versions and emulation is not 1:1. You're really underestimating the modding community. People enjoy it even if you don't and that is why I keep calling you ignorant. You're the most ignorant scumbag on /vr/.

>What the fuck are you replying for? Just accept when you're wrong?

What am I wrong about? I never claimed that they were definitive or the best like YOU KEEP insinuating in every fucking brain hemorrhage of post you make. Still, I recommend them for various reasons and the main one is that you can mod them easily.

The fact that you STILL do not understand and are STILL so fucking certain of yourself when you're completely ignorant as to why people would grab these versions is astounding.

Seriously dude, fuck off to /v/ or wherever it is you come from. People like you are what caused this board to turn sour.
>>
>>3202052
>>3202067
Retards
>>
>>3202082

this board has truly become /v/
>>
>>3202079
Lmao, I was here when this board started you shithead. And I just stated I got off work, good reading comprehension.

And you gained no reading comprehension from before till now I see. MY whole point is that they aren't definitive versions, ergo not the recommended version. If you agree with that then shut the fuck up. That's my whole point, there's literally nothing else to be said.

And who gives a fuck about the modding community when there's a better option there already? You're literally going in circles and obviously glorifying your "PC masterrace". And there's literally rarely any issues with emulating RPGs from PS1 era, especially if you're playing on something like a PSP.
You also keep bringing up that I'm ignorant? Yet you "agree" they aren't the best version. What the fuck am i being ignorant about? That's my only point I'm making, and you supposedly agree with it. Are you confused with words larger than six letters? Ignorant means without understanding/knowledge. I fucking know which version is best, and which ones to recommend, so I'm not ignorant you illiterate cunt. My brother owns IX on steam and has shown me it and the backgrounds look bad, I've literally seen it with my eyes you turd. I own VIII on steam simply because I wanted to own all versions of the game NTSC-J included, and it has ZERO advantages over the disc based and it looks better on a TV display over a laptop/HD display.
No, they are not the versions to play. Nothing will change that. No matter what you say, no matter how much you kick back, they are not the versions to bother with. If people play it and enjoy it, good for them, but they are not the versions I would ever recommend or let someone play as their first exposure.
>>
>>3202114
>>3202079
Take it outside boys.
>>
File: 1345301705275.gif (3 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1345301705275.gif
3 MB, 290x189
>>3202114

>I was here when this board started shithead

I'm sure pal.

>And I just got off work good reading comp

What the fuck? I wasn't saying you were jumping to conclusions for stating you just got off work. I was saying you were jumping to conclusions for claiming I jack it all day. Just how stupid are you? Seriously. How fucking retarded can you be?

>If you agree then shut the fuck up

No. It's completely subjective what the definitive versions are. If you're a purist, the hard copies are. If you want to mod, then the Steam versions are. If you're an emulation fag or poor, just emulate. It's really this simple, but you're far too dense to understand that this sort of thing is anything but objective.

>Are you confused with words larger than six letters?

I've stated many times why you're ignorant. You ARE without understanding/knowledge. You really fucking are pal. You're hopeless and a fucking moron. Go fuck yourself. I've gotten a lot of chuckles out of you today.
>>
>>3202114

He never said anything about pc mustard race

good god way to shit up a thread you faggots
>>
>>3202089

Yeah it's sad, even just like a year ago this board was a nice cozy and slow place, minimal bickering and retards. It's gone down the shitter recently.
>>
>>3202137
It is not fucking subjective what the definitive versions are, Jesus Christ. You're the same type of moron that says there are no dumb questions, dear lord.

And lmao, hopeless and a moron and has to state that he got laughs out of me. You're this fucking mad about being wrong, it's priceless. And the continued use of meme's like a true /b/tard, bravo shitlord. I am so happy to of come out on top of this one. Stay wrong and mad my dude, I'll remain blissfully right. I'm done replying to someone this dense and is committed to being an unstoppable freight train of misinformation and word skewing whom is unable to derive the primary points from a paragraph. Peace, memelord.
>>
>there are people in this very thread who think this is acceptable
>>
File: 1451883752215.jpg (73 KB, 780x453) Image search: [Google]
1451883752215.jpg
73 KB, 780x453
>>3202176

>I am happy to have come out on top on this one

The delusion. Good lord. Kill yourself, my man.
>>
>>3202176

You've said you were done replying like three times yet continue to reply.

It's pretty funny.
>>
>>3196540
IV was good but a lot of people LOVE the gameplay for V. VI was my personal favorite and VII is where the series changed completely (at least I think so).

I know a lot of people have different opinions about VI on which version to play, but I say play Woolsey Uncensored.
>>
How should I start this series? I was recommended by /v/ to start with 6 because I value gameplay and story equally, but I died in the opening fight lol.
>>
>>3203014
At the risk of sounding cliche, I started with VII, then went back to play the rest in order, I'm up to V now and I love it.
You definitely need patience for the earlier games (I-III), so I'd say either jump in at VII or IV.
>>
>>3199112
It actually does a damn good job outside of being overly literal with some names for no good reason. Keep in mind that if you're playing PC you can adjust how names get changed (for example, Moogle not getting transliterated and other canon things) but the PS1 edition can only do that through an addendum patch because of how XDelta works.
>>
File: tumblr_o2rtniJTTP1st4bmvo1_400.gif (1 MB, 370x253) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2rtniJTTP1st4bmvo1_400.gif
1 MB, 370x253
>>3203014
>died fighting things you can one-shot in a super magical mecha

If you want the easiest road play IV.
>>
>>3202181
>tfw
I would've played this if the Thunder Slash glitch was fixed, apparently they didn't bother.

It isn't hard on the PS1 edition, just open it up in Hades Workshop and change Thunder Slash's effect to Physical Attack. Done.
>>
Figured this is a good place to ask as any. Why is my thief such fucking shit in FF1? I'm playing the NES version. I'm at level 3 and my thief is consistently doing less damage than my fucking white mage, and they all have the proper equipment. It's almost always 1 or 2. I'm thinking of just restarting now. He's just total dead weight and I don't want to deal with it, especially when the rest of my party is just a single fighter and WM BM. I know ninja is supposed to do good damage, but I don't want to bother getting that far if he's gonna be so completely worthless for much longer.
>>
>>3203014
If you died in the opening fight I would say pretty much any JRPG is gonna be a gargantuan mental struggle for you. The most basic concepts must be totally lost on you.
>>
>>3203075
I love brutal honesty
>>
File: pas.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pas.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
>>3203051
>>3202181

>implying the beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds weren't already shat on by the playstation

Pic related is a screen from the PS1 version.

The real issue here is that Square doesn't have the master assets to these old games anymore. Apparently it was commonplace to toss your shit shortly after releasing the game.

In retrospect it was dumb, but does anyone know of WHY they did this? What advantage do they get from doing this?
>>
>>3203064

If you restart go BALLS TO THE WALLS.

>4 fighters
>>
>>3203075
I grew up playing pokemon and am just now getting into jrpgs, Ive only played dragon warrior, sorry Im not as good as games as you.
>>
>>3199545

Nice, when you finish the Wiegraf, please post it dude!
>>
>>3203108
Try playing Pokemon again then, and that's being generous. Any FF is too much for you to deal with if you couldn't figure out the opening fights of VI. As far as I remember they're just attack attack attack, I'm not even totally sure you ever even need to heal. Pay attention to the dialogue. Do a little reading on the most basic concepts.
>>
>>3203113

Well, I already did (sort of). >>3199975

I'll color it later.
>>
>>3203093
Less money spent on storage.
>>
>>3203145

Ah I missed it. Yeah when you color it definitely post it, I'm sure you'll give him some dope ass colors.
>>
File: ffiv_cg.jpg (50 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
ffiv_cg.jpg
50 KB, 720x540
>>3196697
After that opening prerender it was like they wanted people to be disappointed with the actual sprite.
>>
File: image.png (750 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.png
750 KB, 640x1136
>>3203145
Btw, not the guy you're talking to currently but the one who said I wanted it for the wallpaper, I really did do so.
>>
Just beat Chrono Trigger
Which Final Fantasy should I use to get into the series, 4, 6 or 7?
>>
>>3203253
4, it's the game CT took almost all of its boss gimmicks from.
>>
>>3203184
>zippers on his pecs
>>
>>3203008
What does it uncensor? No spoilers please. Does the GBA version have censored scenes?
>>
>>3203187
Thanks, man. That really means a lot.

>>3203253
IV is the best of the bunch for seeing what shapes the foundation for the rest of the series. It may not be the best one of the bunch, but it is a historical landmark for the franchise, and so at least playing it is mandatory, but if you aren't very fond of it, then you can just go and watch the cinematics or a Let's Play on YouTube. I prefer the DS version, myself.
>>
>>3199503
I always wondered what kind of hair Meladioul would have under that hood. Nice, your artwork is really sweet.
>>
>>3203064
In FF1 the thief's main thing is being able to run easier. Unfortunately this is bugged making him completely useless, unless you use the restored patch.
>>
>>3199475
Definitely not the only one, since someone made three fixpatches for ability names. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2774/

As someone who prefers ye olde english, I felt that WOTL's translation was extremely forced. The translation is technically better, but the localization doesn't fit the game either and they shoehorned a lot of references to other Ivalice games that never existed.
>>
>>3196861
FFII fans shouldn't be playing Final Fantasy, but SaGa.
>>
>>3203424
>Does the GBA version have censored scenes?

I haven't played it myself but I remember one of the versions cut out a part where a guard hits Celes (female) because god forbid you can't accurately depict hostility in a time of war. Not sure if that was the GBA or shitty iPhone version.
>>
File: Meliadoul Tengille.jpg (117 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
Meliadoul Tengille.jpg
117 KB, 706x1000
>>3203598
Thanks. There's only one official pic of her that shows her hair, and it's what I use pretty much exclusively for reference when I draw her.
>>
>>3204342
Basically in specifically GBA VI, all languages got this scene censored. It was uncensored in Mobile/PC versions. As far as everything else, just about everything was uncensored except for a couple of monster sprites that were re-censored. Siren for example.

There's patches for both cases.
>>
>>3204636
IIRC Mobile version keeps Siren at least since it's basically a GBA cart. It took minimal work to get past censors that time.
>>
>>3204056
Or both. I'm a fan of both FF and SaGa. Pretty much equally, at that.
>>
>>3199479
Happy 15th birthday.
>>
>>3196540
Final Fantasy and JRPGs in general are some of the most boring games ever created. I strongly encourage you to explore better genres.
>>
>>3204748

>my opinion is fact

Stop posting.
>>
File: ffiv_ios2_thumb.jpg (18 KB, 244x184) Image search: [Google]
ffiv_ios2_thumb.jpg
18 KB, 244x184
>>3203373
Should note that the PSP version's sprites weren't the problem. The DS won that contest. Just look at this SD bullshit. I'd take pec zippers over SD knights any day.
>>
>>3204771
What, you don't like Final Bobblehead Fantasy IV?

pic related
>>
>>3196672
Rosa looking h o t
>>
>>3203373
Sometimes the nips just need to breathe.
>>
>>3202009
Hell I even like the voice acting for what it's worth. Even the laughing scene was alright in context. Tidus was just acting like a retard to make Yuna stop acting so depressed; hell, they even broke down and started laughing normally afterward.
>>
>>3206014
Yuna was the only one sticking out like a sore thumb IMO.

Why did the VA always talk like she was out of breath? Was the recording done on a mountaintop or something?
>>
>>3206014
>>3206696
There's an undub for the game floating around, could try it.
>>
>>3204883
Rydia>Rosa in hotness, fight me.
>>
>>3209165
Good taste.
>>
>>3210242
Thanks.

To be honest, I have kind of a weird taste in a few ways too, like finding Asura to be hot, even with her mass of limbs and faces.

Been trying on and off to do a picture or ficlet of Rydia awkwardly crushing on her holy war goddess foster mom.
>>
>>3196540
>how do I get into this series of games
>oh by the way I've already played 4 of them
If you don't like them by now, I doubt you will. JRPGs require a special kind of autism to enjoy.
>>
>>3199564
GET THE FUCK OFF MY BOARD WHORE NO ONE GIVES A FUCK IF YOU HAVE A CUNT
>>
>>3212834
Complaining about someone having a cunt just means you ARE a cunt, cunt.
>>
File: viv.png (310 KB, 400x250) Image search: [Google]
viv.png
310 KB, 400x250
>>3199564
I'd say IX your best bet, if you can do fantasy with a touch of steampunk. It has the most well-presented world, character development that you can actually follow and makes sense,
and it actually feels like they took time to translate it.
The new steam version makes it look nicer, but its not necessary.

Honestly, if you read anything above a young adult level, you're going to have a hard time finding a compelling story in any video game.
>>
>>3203093
Digital storage was not always cheap and easy to come by.
>>
File: sickinbedanimegirl.jpg (47 KB, 710x399) Image search: [Google]
sickinbedanimegirl.jpg
47 KB, 710x399
I just got through a week-long hospital stay with the PSP version of Final Fantasy Tactics and its retardedly slow animations. Thank you Square Enix. Although I also accidentally constructed the slowest possible strategy: 3 dancers + 2 mimes using Slow Dance, grinding down the enemy team's Speed stats 9 times per every few clock ticks until they basically don't get actions anymore.
>>
>>3214106
Pretty sure that a company as well known and popular as Squaresoft could've shelled out for a few extra hard drives.
>>
>>3215689
You do know there's a fix for that, right?
>>
>>3202181
It's not worse than what their latest FFVI port looks like, but goddamn. Why does a company that focuses mostly on graphics these days produce such shitty-looking ports?

That was a rhetorical question of course I know it's to spend as little money and effort as possible but still make money.
>>
>>3196645
For what it's worth, IV's probably the only FF that does linearity properly. Forcing you to change your gameplay style as the story alters by replacing your characters was pretty brilliant, and it's a shame that JRPGs have gone the complete opposite direction and that the players throw a shitfit any time this happens.

If you disliked III for the grinding, you might like V more. It's like III conceptually, but with a significantly improved class system, grinding isn't necessary, dungeons aren't designed in a retarded "let's try to outdo Dragon Quest!" style without giving you the dungeon crawling gameplay options that DQ does, and the story's actually kind of fun.
>>
>>3216001
If he was half dead in the hospital he probably couldn't download the fix.
>>
>>3216151
If he was that much half dead in the hospital he probably couldn't even play the game in the first place.
>>
>>3197330
At least half of 13 was a tutorial.

8 gets a lot of flak because of the stupidly broken combat, obnoxious characters and plot that lacks focus and is all sorts of retarded.
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.