[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did one go about actually purchasing a Neo Geo AES and games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 480x376) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 480x376
How did one go about actually purchasing a Neo Geo AES and games back in the early 90s outside of Japan? Most sales must have been through import stores and such, right? It's not like Toys R Us would have had a big selection of AES carts to choose from.
>>
>>3194451
Specialty stores and mail order most likely.
>>
>>3194452
It must have been. I've always wondered about this because I grew up in a small town and the Neo Geo AES was always this nebulous, mythical console that I only saw in my video game mags. I'd imagine specialty stores like EB only sold it at their locations in big markets like New York, L.A., etc.
>>
>>3194451
Does anyone else see Patrick Bateman?

[Spoiler]Check 'em
>>
>>3194460
I was about to post the image but it didnt go through. I do this every time that advert is posted here.
>>
File: 3DO-Goldstar-101M-Console.jpg (525 KB, 4220x2320) Image search: [Google]
3DO-Goldstar-101M-Console.jpg
525 KB, 4220x2320
>>3194459
This. The only 'high-end' consoles I ever saw in a regular department store were the 3DO and the CD-i.
>>
>>3194494
Exactly. I guess SNK rightly figured that the game console equivalent of a Lamborghini was only going to sell in major market US cities.
>>
File: IU-Exterior_002.jpg (61 KB, 544x700) Image search: [Google]
IU-Exterior_002.jpg
61 KB, 544x700
I remember they sold Neo Geo at Target and Incredible Universe. Remember THAT chain? I miss the opulent 90's.
>>
>>3194498
I don't. What city?
>>
>>3194501
17 stores, mostly in Texas and California, there were two in Oregon and Washington, respectively. Six of the stores became Fry's when the chain went under.
>>
Saw one at a game store in Brazil during one of my travels. Also the only time I ever actually saw it, they were playing a Fatal Fury game on it.

Never saw it stateside, much less Europe.
>>
>>3194498
Oh shit my parents bought a camcorder there, I barely remember that place.
>>
>>3194507
Man, that place sounds like it was awesome. Growing up on the east coast sucked.
>>
>>3194507
>17 stores
I read 17 stories.
I almost wt myself.
>>
>>3194546
>>3194507
>east coast
There was an Incredible Universe in the suburbs of northern Virginia, near the Potomac Mills mall. I went when I was a kid but I remember the whole store feeling more like a trade show with demos and exhibits than a retail outlet.
>>
File: pg03[1].jpg (879 KB, 900x1175) Image search: [Google]
pg03[1].jpg
879 KB, 900x1175
E-B
>>
>>3194451
In LA some of the big retail stores had them.
>>
>>3194498
>>3194507
I live in Denver and we had one here. I loved that place but I don't think I ever actually bought anything there
>>
File: fEtKWDQ.png (152 KB, 300x319) Image search: [Google]
fEtKWDQ.png
152 KB, 300x319
>>3195103
>$200 for The Super Spy
>>
>>3194451
I lived in Michigan, at K-Mart, Target, Toys R' Us, Children's Palace, and Funcoland carried Neo Geo games and the system. It never seemed that anyone bought them, since the stock always looked the same no matter what. The selections were decent at the time, but TRU and most other stores used a piece of paper in a little holder to convey their stock. It was an odd system back then,
>>
>>3195586
Interesting. Were you in a big city? I know this was before Walmart took over but I'm surprised K-Mart had locations that actually carried it.
>>
>>3195103
i'd love to see some adverts for other consoles of the time. I can't recall the pricing of the genesis or nes.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.