[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SUBMARINE GAMES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: silent_service_01.png (12 KB, 320x256) Image search: [Google]
silent_service_01.png
12 KB, 320x256
What good submarine games are worth investing time in? I don't mind the "boring" ones where you have to do a ton of planning to play correctly.

I just played a bit of this Silent Service game. It was primitive but now I realize that there are submarine games around. What else is there worth playing?
>>
My mother's husband used to play Aces of the Deep back in the DOS days. It's one of those "games only you played" so I don't know what the word on the street is. Anyway check it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpOcUn4vo1I
>>
>>3192473
Yeah aces of the deep is the best. Watch das boot then play that. There's a pack you can DL somewhere that comes with everything you need to play on a modern pc
>>
>>3192457
Where can I get the original Silent Hunter? Not on Steam, not on Piratebay.
>>
>aces of the deep
Seriously, /thread

The level of detail you had to follow puts this head and shoulders above all other /vr/ sub games and possibly all modern ones.
>>
A few months ago we had a thread about a PC submarine game and anon explained how to install it on modern PC with a graphic mod. Anyone remember that?
>>
>>3194128
I had a silent hunter 2 disc, but my dad said we'd need a mouse driver to make it work, never did play it actually but I enjoyed reading the manual.

Silent hunter 3 was pretty good, less arcady than later iterations. I once fooled around and rammed a destroyer just at the same moment another destroyer was firing a salvo at me, it missed and completely wrecked the destroyer I rammed. It was possible sometimes to blow the turrets off attacking destroyers or the sterns of late war freighters. Another time I decided to sail to New York but there were only 3 ships there. Attacking in storms was best and hiding behind the enemies props. The Gibraltar mission is only possible going very deep and slowly. There was a later one with wolves of the pacific mod which was pretty good. Its possible to blow the nose off your sub if your not careful with torp gyro angles.

I'm going to get Dangerous Waters on steam, Its a very realistic modern naval sim with a wonderful sonar, pretty much identical to how it really works - the towed array is the most sensitive - the multiple sensors can isolate background noise I believe.

Does anyone else like getting their sub damaged a bit and trying to save it? Destroyer Command also had a pretty thorough damage control mechanic.
>>
I have 688 attack sub on md but haven't tried it yet.
>>
File: 20552_02_m.jpg (91 KB, 1232x816) Image search: [Google]
20552_02_m.jpg
91 KB, 1232x816
I played the ever loving shit out of "The Hunt For Red October" for the gameboy as a kid. I'm not sure if it's nostalgia but I played it recently as an adult and it's got a great difficulty level. I recommend at least trying it.
>>
File: capture_009_09092015_130610.jpg (184 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
capture_009_09092015_130610.jpg
184 KB, 1360x768
>>3192457

If /vr/ status is optional, Silent Hunter 3 and Silent Hunter 4 are amazing when modded. When you're manually plotting an intercept based on a radio report of a target 3 hours away, sliding into attack position ahead of it and crunching out a firing solution using surprisingly simple math and geometry, the feeling when you bullseye that sucker with a three torpedo spread is awesome.

And nothing beats the sheer terror of intercepting a "Convoy" radio report head-on in the shallow waters of the Java sea only for that "convoy" to actually be an entire Imperial Japanese Navy task force. Of course, by the time you realize THAT you're stuck submerged in water so shallow a good third of your submarine would be sticking out of the water if you're tail was touching the seabed and your prow was pointed at the sky. You're in shallow water on a cloudless sunny afternoon, you'll be spotted if you try to surface and run, and you're too slow to outrun destroyers.

So you sit at the bottom, the water is so bright and clear you can see seaweed through your periscope and when you dare pop the periscope up for a precious handful of seconds you can see what looks like a bloody battleship behind that wall of destroyers.

Do you risk the shot? There are at least two destroyers at the vanguard, two more on the side flanks and how many more at the sternguard? All will be coming for your blood if they realize you're there.

You sit, you wait. You hear the lead destroyers engines approaching, no sonar pings yet, thank god. You raise the observation periscope a tiny bit again, that seaweed is still there. Out of idle curiosity you swivel the observation periscope (designed to look upwards at high angles to check for aircraft) and your heart stops as you see pic related.

And you pray some bored Japanese seaman isn't leaning against a railing looking bored at the water and sees your sub sitting there just under surface.

There ain't no adrenaline rush like submarine warfare.
>>
File: Ship_ID_2.jpg (314 KB, 1119x704) Image search: [Google]
Ship_ID_2.jpg
314 KB, 1119x704
>>3195357

if /vr/ is required I'll put my vote in for Aces of the Deep and SH2

>>3194845

I recall little of that game other than I enjoyed it and hated it, because young me found it hard as balls.
>>
File: sarcastic dr house.jpg (26 KB, 400x271) Image search: [Google]
sarcastic dr house.jpg
26 KB, 400x271
>>3192473
>My mother's husband
>>
>>3195363
?
>>
>>3195363
some people don't like the word stepdad? I don't think it was a cuck reference.
>>
>>3195389
>I don't think

You're lucky I caught onto OP.
>>
File: 3103_4ccb903c390a0.png (29 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
3103_4ccb903c390a0.png
29 KB, 640x400
Suprised nobody mentioned this gem yet
>>
not a sim or at all realistic but Seaquest on SNES and Mega Drive is cool. It has a bit where you're going around an open sea looking for missions and then you use various thunderbird like craft that have different controls and abilities to do those missions and you can pick whichever you think is best for the job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djb5ltYI8bM
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.