[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was the title actually a reference to AM?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Screamcover~01.jpg (29 KB, 250x320) Image search: [Google]
Screamcover~01.jpg
29 KB, 250x320
Was the title actually a reference to AM?
>>
The hell is AM?
>>
>>3190720
>I Have Not Played The Game But I Must Post
>>
>>3190718
Well, no, it's the bad ending. I mean, it could also be a reference to AM but there is a direct quote of the line in the game. Obviously the idea of powerlessness and ennui is a major theme of the game though, the title can mean a lot of things.
>>
It's the last line in the original short story.
>>
It was actually a reference to the end of the fucking story.
>>
>>3190826
It's a faux intellectual question to be sure, it sounds like something a teenager would say on tumblr to gain epeen points.
>>
>>3190838
Clearly, Ellison was decades ahead of his time.
>>
>>3190718
>>3190826

Yes, but if I remember correctly, AM hates existence. He is described as "tortured". So I think the OP is correct, that it is a clever double meaning.

But what stops AM from killing himself by the way?
>>
>>3191876
>>3191876
It's stated that AM's computer is so complex and vast that it's impossible to find where or how it could possibly be turned off. This is how he has so many residual personalities living inside of him he doesn't even know of, it's like if you had a body so huge and composed of so many organs and limbs that you didn't even know where your heart was located anymore. You have to keep in mind that the AM we see isn't even the only AM computer, he's an entire network of master computers built in different countries. He's so overwhelmingly convoluted and unfathomably inter-tangled in himself that even if he had searched for all those 109 years trying to find out how to kill himself I doubt he'd be any closer to doing so.
>>
File: 1461250394000.gif (662 KB, 200x126) Image search: [Google]
1461250394000.gif
662 KB, 200x126
>mfw playing Gorrister's story
>>
>>3190718
That's pretty clever. I don't think it's a reference per se, but the dilemmas of the humans and AM are connected.
>>
>>3190718
no, if it were that the title would be:
>I have no arms, and I must scream
>>
>>3193150

But you can scream without arms
>>
>>3190718
Yes.

>>3190826
The whole point of that last scene was that AM wanted to make the last human feel the same way AM felt about the futility of its existence.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.