[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think of run 'n gun shooters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: run-n-gun-shooters.jpg (946 KB, 768x720) Image search: [Google]
run-n-gun-shooters.jpg
946 KB, 768x720
What do you guys think of run 'n gun shooters?
>>
They're fun
>>
File: 308575_front.jpg (71 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
308575_front.jpg
71 KB, 640x640
Best genre, but often feels surprisingly limited in games developed compared to other genres.
>>
Am I the only one who really enjoys top down run n guns?
>>
>>3190926
Naw, those are great. The original Shock Troopers is top tier.
>>
>>3190658
One of the best genres. Contra is my personal fave followed by Metal Slug.
>>
Only one so far I haven't played and loved the shit out of is Out Zone and that's only because I'm unfamiliar with it, sell me on it?
>>
>>3191249
>sell me on it?
For fucks sake, just go to youtube or download the rom and check it out for yourself, or don't.
What the fuck is with all this "I can't think for my self, feed me what I should think please" these days? Not just on /vr/, not just on 4chan, but throughout our culture as a whole...
>>
>>3190658
>run 'n gun shooters
The Koreans call them "dash and shoot accuracy tests" you stupid gringo. Get the terminology right or get >>>/out/
>>
>>3190658
really fun.
>>
>>3191258
Simply describing the game would have been easier and better for discussion
>>
>>3190926
>>3191016
No way. I feel like the only person here who loved Ikari Warriors, even with all of it's flaws. Top down shooters like Heavy Barrel, Commando, Guerrilla War and the like were my childhood.
>>
>rooty tooty, right and shooty
>>
>>3191642
>trying to derail the thread like you did the belt scroller one
Nope.
>>
File: pocky-rocky.jpg (31 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
pocky-rocky.jpg
31 KB, 400x263
>>3190658
Funnest SNES game to play with a friend.
>>
Tbh, I think Mega and Super Turrican are the most playable of the series.
>>
I've seen a couple of runngun threads by now and the case is clear: they are not popular on /vr/.
>>
Alien Soldier is my absolute favourite video game.
>>
>>3191258
Why would anon watch a video, it was already stated that anon played it and didn't love it and is just looking for reasons why everyone else does.
Its not "can't think for myself" culture that's going to ruin everything it's "can't read and not be an asshat" culture that will

>>3191249
Anyway anon, I didn't love it either so you're not alone. A few of my friends rave about it but they also don't love Contra Hard Corps so who am I to judge that. It's just something about Out Zone that feels off for me and not natural
>>
>>3196318
I think Metal Slug is pretty much universally loved on here. Even /v/ digs it.
>>
>>3196363
Yeah, Contra and Metal Slug are somewhat popular, but I guess when the 2 representives of the genres are hard, dick measuring contests your appeal to the general public will be low. Turrican ain't no cakewalk either.
>>
Hardcore mode
>>
I thought a lot of us here thought that Alien soldier, Hard Corps and Metal Slug 3 are the holy triad of Run and Guns?
>>
>>3196392
>MS3
Swap that with Gunforce 2 and you'd be right.

Also the Rolling Thunder series is underrated.
>>
>>3191892
One of the best games on SNES. Very fun
>>
>>3190658

I consider Gunlord to be a legitimate example of a ten out of ten game.
>>
>>3198164
Great game.
Not remotely retro.
>>
>>3198171
It's on Neo Geo
>>
>>3198195
It was made in 2012.
>>
File: sunset_riders_final.gif (74 KB, 450x338) Image search: [Google]
sunset_riders_final.gif
74 KB, 450x338
I think many of them are some of the greatest arcade games ever made
>>
one of my favourite genres.

I think there needs to be a more clear distinction between platformer run n gun and top-down run n gun tho, they play very very differently. Top downs are much more like 'shmups'
>>
>>3199092
Speaking of not retro games on retro systems, anyone hype for Kraut Buster?
>>
>>3199142

I was playing Hi no tori (MSX) lately, because I saw it recommended on the shmup thread, and I wasn't sure if what I played was a shmup or a run and gun. It's more of a shmup, but you can jump over enemies to avoid them, and levels are infinite loops, so there's even a bit of exploration because you need to find keys in order to open boss rooms. Really weird but fun game.

Then there's Sin and Punishment which bends the on-rail/cabal nature of the game and the last level becomes a regular side-scrolling run and gun game.
>>
>>3196543
I like Gunforce 2 especially compared to the last 2 MS games on the NG and MS 2. But MS3 is imo is simply amazing. Gunforce 2 i think is on par with the first MS or Metal Slug X.

Rolling Thunder is one I need to try out. I feel like Shinobi is Sega's response to RT with a few minor differences. Isn't there some on the genesis too?
>>
>>3199164
Rolling Thunder 2 and 3 are on the Genesis, and imo better than the first one. Rolling Thunder 2 looks like it was ghost-developed by Sega's AM2 team, with the Super blue skies, palm trees and red car aesthetic.
>>
>>3199164
I just now played Rolling Thunder for the first time, right after playing Shinobi coincidentally, it really is very similar.

Pretty much kicks ass too
>>
http://poal.me/1v6pp9

VOTE, NOW
>>
>>3199145

If only they had picked a superior platform like 32x to do their sprite magic.
>>
Anyone here ever played Rapid Reload for the PS1? Really nice game.
>>
>>3202056
Actually generic as fuck.
>>
>>3191892
wish this game had the stationary lock and strafe like contra shattered soldier and contra alien wars 3 gba (specifically this version, as the snes version didnt have this feature). how difficult would it be for someone who has never programmed to try adding these controls to the game?
>>
>>3202075
So what? It's well made, playable and enjoyable.
>>
>>3204528
I'd rather play arcade Contra than a chink bootleg with animu characters.
>>
>>3202056
I thought it was a really slow version of Gunstar Heroes with no co-op
>>
>>3199375
Didn't Rolling Thunder have a weird NES port with an alternate title?
>>
>>3190926
I did love them when I was younger. Mercs for SMS, True Lies and Zombies ate my neighbour on SNES.

DESU, I loved this perspective for most games. I thought it was awesome looking. Nowadays I'd rather play sidescrolling.
>>
File: shocktroopers-1.jpg (37 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
shocktroopers-1.jpg
37 KB, 300x220
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 304x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 304x224
Jesus, look at them
>>
Anyone wanna play some Shock Troopers on fightcade?
>>
>>3190926
I love the Chaos Engine! Doesn't get mentioned very often on /vr/.
>>
>>3199150
it sucks that run n gun is such a vague genre. makes discussion hard
>>
>>3209808
It's a sidescroller that has more emphasis on shooting than platforming.

Not run & gun: Megaman
Run & gun: Shinobi
>>
>>3209830
What about top down games, like Smash TV, Ikari Warriors, Commando or top-down levels from Contra?

Tbh I'd personally define it as a 2d shooter where player has control of screen scrolling. If it's autoscrolling, then it's shmup.
If it's 3D, then it's FPS/TPS.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.