[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retron 5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 13
File: 41xm-o43dzL.jpg (30 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
41xm-o43dzL.jpg
30 KB, 500x334
What's the verdict on these?
>>
My wife and I love it!
>>
My husband says it's great.
>>
My kids said they would rather have a ps4
>>
There's a /vr/ meme about it, based off an alleged viral marketer who kept posting anecdotes about him and his wife liking the console because it saved space. Sometimes this gets mutated into "my wife's son" to tie it into the cuck meme. All the responses you get will be related to this meme.
>>
Saves space + Fun gaming time with my wife + Looks gorgeous on my LCD TV = One happy retro gamer :)
>>
>>3190104
My wife's son loves it.
>>
>>3190104
My son's wife wants one.
>>
>>3190104
I don't have a wife, so I just emulate instead.
>>
>>3190104
My one's wife wants son.
>>
I'll give a serious response; they're pointless. If you want to play on hardware, nothing beats the original. If you just want to play the games then just emulate. If you want to play on your TV then hook your computer up via HDMI.

These are just glorified emulators anyway (obviously there aren't 6 retro consoles in there) so just save your money.
>>
Seriously, it's garbage.
>>
>>3190421
>hook your computer up via HDMI.
Not everyone can do that with their arrangement but everyone who would consider a Retron 5 could buy a Wii for less and modify it to do all that and much much more.
>>
>>3190104
Buying physical carts in order to emulate roms? Sign me up
>>
>>3190104
dont you mean retroarch on an android 5?
>>
>>3190431
the wii and the psp are the best for emulating desu, plus they both have fairly solid native libraries of their own. would recommend.
>>
>>3190104
Fucking garbage. Spend that money on a cheap laptop, and hook that up to your TV.

Also don't talk to me or my son ever again.
>>
>>3190104
the local retro game shop near me is managed by someone whose wife loves it
>>
>>3190604
Laptops don't have cartridge slots silly.
>>
>>3190637
If you don't have at least 8,899 roms on your hard drive, you're a fucking casual.
>>
may as well just emulate on your computer because it's the same thing except free
>>
>>3190156
thanks, i kept seeing the meme around and this would have been hard to figure out for myself seeing as it gets to a point where it doesn't make any sense
>>
My Mom's boyfriend got me this piece of shit.

I hate him.
>>
Needs a version for Pre nintendo systems.
>>
>>3190104
They're shite
>>
Worked at a place that had one in the employee lounge along with whatever SNES and Genesis games they could find that local game stores were tossing. As such the majority of the games were either licensed ones that were kinda crap or every iteration of Madden and each EA sports game for each year, from hockey to basketball.

Once folks figured it out, cause it's not the most intuitive thing and has a few functions you won't figure out without the manual or random chance, it wasn't too bad. Sometimes wiped save games clean off a cart though, if someone dared to bring something in, one guy flipped his shit because his Breath of Fire II saves were gone. Okay investment for breakroom, not a great home investment.
>>
>>3190520
wii is shit for emulating. It can barely run snes games at full speed. Only benefit it has is native 240p.
>>
>>3190431
>>3190520
PlayStation emulation is horrible on the Wii. PSP, on the other hand, has a shoddy SNES emulator that some games don't run right on.
They're both imperfect and inferior to just using a computer, but combined I suppose you'd be okay and if you're that desperate to game on your TV and you can't hook up/don't have a PC then I guess it's your best bet.
>>
File: fart_beep_boop.jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
fart_beep_boop.jpg
9 KB, 275x183
Do the Genesis games still sound shitty on the Retron?

Ren and Stimpy Theme:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7tNDkEACSY

SNES version:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6O39QJCAhk

Genesis version:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQd_QJZ94PI

Actual Aerosmith Dude Looks Like A Lady
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQ6jLe3R8E

SNES Dude Looks Like A Lady
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRIUXzUrCY

Genesis Dude Looks Like A Lady
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k7Tq0XgfLI

Actual Aerosmith Rag Doll:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgSerJSubk

SNES Rag Doll:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eipzunVGIm0

Gensis Rag Doll:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn7eogs6Tgc

etc.
>>
>>3190915
FartBoy brain seems to be stuck in a loop,how do we reset him?
>>
>>3190104
Eh, so real talk? My wife's bull's birthday is coming up and I wanted to get him something nice. He seems to really like retro games. Would the Retron5 be a good gift? Bear in mind this guy seems to really know his stuff about old video games and always beats me when we play Mario Kart 64.
>>
>>3190889
>>3190892

>emulation = SNES or PS1 only

Must suck to have such limited underage taste.
>>
>>3190104
My wife's wife loves it!
>>
>>3190232
Emulate games or emulate wife? Both are sad but in different ways.
>>
>>3190104
Clone consoles emulate more inaccurately than emulators your can just download for free. I have no idea why anyone would buy one of these, it's just totally ridiculous that the market even exists at all.
>>
>>3190941
/pol/ always finds a way
>>
>>3190104
My son's stepfather really really really likes it
>>
>>3190104
Me and my step wife really like to play our old video games on this thing with our step son's step brother.
>>
Me and my distant third cousin twice removed and their father's brother's son's babysitter really enjoy playing it when our great grandmother's aunt's sister comes to visit.
>>
>>3190937
he's already unplugged from reality, now we just need to unplug his internet, and his internal battery will die and wipe the retardation data soon enough
>>
There's no fucking point. What's the point of using emulators that require original games?
>>
>>3190104
My step-son's boyfriend loves it!
>>
>>3190421
Child or hipster faggot found
>>
>>3190604
So another teeny faggot found
>>
>>3191387
>>3191391
>good goy, buy the Retron 5â„¢ now
>you don't wanna be a kid or hipster do you?
>>
>>3190104
I'd recommend getting Retro Freak instead, since the Retron5's failure rate is pretty high

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9762ZPxfT0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUwSA9RuL1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVL0n18F9es

At least the Genesis / Megadrive audio in Retron5 isn't that bad, compared to the Steam Megadrive emulator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKZoFISdgRY&feature=em-upload_owner

Can't wait to make another comparison with the real hardware
>>
>>3190892
As I said, the Wii can do everything the Retron 5 can do and much more for less money. I'm pretty sure the Retron 5 doesn't do PlayStation. It doesn't do Dreamcast or n64 either and those consoles should probably be represented authentically.

A proper gaming setup should probably include a softmodded PS2 and Xbox as well considering how mediocre and non-existent respectively their emulation are and both those platforms emulate PlayStation just fine'

Really though you're going well outside the scope of this "is retron gud" thread. Not everyone spends every waking moment in the same 4 square foot area so inexpensive "living room" devices are a thing that people want. Retron is not a good example.
>>
Bought one for myself and one for my wife's son
>>
>>3191134
The Retron5 is a shitty Android box, not a hardware clone. It's good to differentiate. Hardware clones are also kinda weak, but at least they're real hardware.
>>
>>3190431
If you can't figure out how to output a computer to a TV you're too stupid to live and should be purged.
>>
If you want to play games, download a good emulator. If you want to play on hardware, get real hardware. For fuck's sake don't spend money on bad emulators.
>>
If I wanted to emulate I'd just download roms and play them in my computer.
>>
>>3190104
You're a damn idiot if you choose this over hacking something much cheaper like a Wii or just using your PC.
>>
>>3190104

Honestly just buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and emulate that way. I don't understand paying this much for an emulation machine.
>>
I use it for Genesis and NES/Famicom games and the occasional GB game. I have actual hardware for Snes and definitely prefer real hardware for that. The others...eh. I'd rather spend the money on more carts for now and wait to pick up hardware cheap as I find it in person (doesn't happen around me often but makes it feel much more worth it). I already have a DC, Saturn, 7800, Xbox, PS2, and an Intellivision hooked up anyway so meh
>>
Good if you have a wife, otherwise no.
>>
>>3192903
Again, some crazy people keep their computer and their TV in different rooms and don't want to buy a whole second PC just to emulate retro games on.
>>
>>3191414
The reason behind this is because SEGA is to cheap to re-lisence the soundchip so they use an alternative sound alike.

KEGA doesn't have to worry about this since they're not selling a product and profiting from it.
>>
>>3193065
some people are just retarded and should stick to cellphones
>>
My wife's daughter's bull loves it!
>>
My son's wife bought one and loves it!
>>
My wife's son's husband bought one for my wife's bull as a Father's Day gift!
>>
>>3190104
My mom's douchey husband got it for me. Meh. I've never even turned it on.
>>
YOU GEDDIT GUISE??

IT'S FOR KEKS OLOLOL
>>
File: 1453338929395.jpg (19 KB, 370x300) Image search: [Google]
1453338929395.jpg
19 KB, 370x300
>>3193540
>>
All the memes about this thing aside, I think it's a pointless machine made for a very small group of people who feel like they need to use cartridges to get an authentic gaming experience but don't give a shit whether or not the game is being emulated and upscaled. The "but it saves space" argument doesn't really work because you can save a lot more space by just emulating on a PC or a Wii or something. You don't need cartridges that way. There's something fishy about the Retron 5, the emulators were supposedly stolen and it can damage cartridges because the cartridge slots are too tight. Also, if you get a broken one, the company that made it refuses to replace it and you gotta buy a new one. I wouldn't give my money to this company.
The only positives about it are 1. it can back up your old saves and 2. you can use SNES controllers to play Mega Drive games and vice versa which is kind of neat I guess.

tl;dr it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>3193895

Shit for around $40 you can just get a pi and emulate a hell of a lot more.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-17300?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&gclid=CJ-_jpjdxcwCFVGAaQodOkQBKw
>>
>>3193901
That's what I love about emulation; options. You can use your PC or get a Pi, a Wii, an Xbox, a PSP, an old phone or tablet, etc. Endless options and there's something for everyone.

With this piece of shit box you're just stuck with it and no support if something goes wrong. I'm really trying to see the point in this Retron thing but there is none. If you want hardware, get the real hardware. Otherwise emulate and save yourself a bunch of money and trouble.
>>
File: ui01.png (387 KB, 715x412) Image search: [Google]
ui01.png
387 KB, 715x412
It'd be better if it actually bothered to hide it's just dumping the ROM and running emulators, it's kinda pointless needing physical carts otherwise. Maybe if it were cheaper it'd be worth the commodity but it really isn't.
>>
Mediocre, slightly overpriced.
Sometimes the tolerances are too tight so your games can get stuck in the ports, causing the connector pins to be ripped out if you're not careful removing it.
If you just want something to play on and don't care about the details, I guess it -can- be worth it, but I'd do some math regarding cost and space before making a decision.

It's arguably overpriced, the controller is less ergonomic than the original NES one, it has poor compatibility with SNES games (Super FX games seem to not run at all, I don't know if this was ever fixed with any firmware updates), the controller ports are on the sides, so good luck trying to use a NES Four Score or NES Advantage with it.

I have no idea if it can accept the 32X, the Powerbase Converter won't fit (though you can put Master System .roms on Genny flashcarts, I don't know how well the Retron will actually read flashcarts), there's no way to fit a Sega CD on it. Some Genesis games wouldn't actually run on it last I checked.

The only thing that really appeals to me is that it will take Gameboy games, and while I would love to play those on my TV, the question comes again to compatibility, as well as if I really want to give all that cash for a bunch of inferior ways to play those other systems tacked on.

Makes me wish there was a Gameboy Advance third party build that you plugged into your TV, so you could play ALL of the Gameboy line, original, Color and Advance, as well as whatever you could emulate on the GBA.
(And if I'm allowed to dream, maybe DS compatibility, with the touch screen and mic on the controller, and the TV would display the upper screen, maybe with some built in Gameshark functions too, for practicality)
>>
>>3193901
Pi's are great, but many people lack the skill and knowhow to put something like that together and getting it to work, and keeping it working.

To me, they're a little bit like buying an 80% AR-15 lower, it's a way to make your own gun if you know how, but many simply lack the tools and knowledge to do anything with it, much less satisfactory. I've seen some fucking nightmare examples of people trying to do that on their own without the right tools, or knowing what they're supposed to fucking do. I'd hate to see the equivalent of that with soldering and wiring.
>>
>>3191528
>A proper gaming setup should probably include a softmodded PS2 and Xbox as well considering how mediocre and non-existent respectively their emulation are and both those platforms emulate PlayStation just fine'
>both those platforms emulate PlayStation just fine
Neither of those emulate PlayStation to any acceptable degree, with the Xbox's attempts being bad and the PS2's just plain awful. Don't make absolute statements about things you don't know enough about.

I'll agree, however, that those systems have nothing but mediocre attempts at emulating them and are well worth including in your setup.
>>
>>3190431
>>3193065
If you can afford a Retron 5 you have enough money for an Intel NUC or similar small form factor computer that'll emulate more systems with better accuracy and also be usable for other purposes like media playback up to the most recent 4K H.265 videos. Hypershill's overpriced garbage is a total waste of good money.
>>
>>3194123
>PS2's just plain awful.
What do you mean? It plays PS1 games perfectly apart from a few Japanese titles.
>>
>>3194140
Using the hardware playing from discs, yes. He said 'softmodded' and 'emulation' which would mean using the PS1 emulator that doesn't work well with anything.
>>
>>3194171
Oh right, I didn't read his post.
>>
>>3194171
Softmodded to run PS1 games from burned discs. Whether this is "emulation" or not is debatable but you're being pedantic just to feel smart which seems to be a hobby on /vr/ these days. Also ps1 emulation on xbox is good. I used it quite often 10 years ago.
>>
File: how to NOT 80% lower.png (975 KB, 915x729) Image search: [Google]
how to NOT 80% lower.png
975 KB, 915x729
>>3194073
To illustrate my point, here's a picture of what I mean, imagine someone who doesn't know shit completely fucking up, now imagine the fuckup in the picture as if it was done to a Raspberry Pi.

Some people should not DIY things.
>>
>>3194303
There's no fucking debate to be had, if you run PS1 games on PS1 hardware it's not emulation. That is what's happening when you put a PS1 disc into a PS2. Maybe the word you're looking for is 'piracy' (aka illegal copying) rather than emulation, big guy.

Emulation of PS1 wasn't good in the first place 10 years ago, much less so on the Xbox's anemic hardware. Take off your rose-tinted glasses and you'll see.
>>
>>3191387
what the fuck?
>>
>>3194387
It's pretty funny how ass-blasted you're getting about this. The fact of the matter is that the PS2 does not include the entire PS1 hardware and some functions are handled through software. How will you react when I break the news to you that most flash cartridges relegate some functions to software as well? The N8 flash cartridge emulates the mapper chips one or another of which is required by every single game.

I wouldn't be intentionally attempting to trigger you if you weren't being an insufferable cunt and trying to talk down to us about things we already know plus ignorantly bagging on the actual emulation abilities of the PS2 and Xbox which do in fact emulate PS1 just fine. Not even the PS2 in "native mode" runs PS1 games with 100% accuracy or even sometimes at all.

Of course, this isn't even remotely related to the topic of this thread anymore as the Retron 5 doesn't claim to run Playstation so the relative ability of any alternative to the Retron 5 is meaningless to the discussion.
>>
>>3190104
Apparently they kind of suck. According to /vr/ anyway. I understand the sound sucks a dick. And also might have problems with certain games.
>>
>>3191679
Are you saying that there is nothing inside my Retron 5, wow it's a magic box!
>>
File: powerbaseconverter-1024x682.jpg (168 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
powerbaseconverter-1024x682.jpg
168 KB, 1024x682
>>3194017
>Powerbase Converter won't fit
explain
>>
>>3197373
Huh, I guess it does.
Could have sworn it didn't. I could be thinking of some other Sega peripheral/game.

Does it correctly read and play MS roms?
>>
>>3197361
He's saying it's not a clone, there's just an ARM cpu inside of it.
>>
>>3190104
Play the real deal or emulate, fuck anything in-between.
>>
>>3197382
Works fine, though I have no games to test the card slot.
>>
>>3197383
works better than some officially licensed Hardware "clones"
>>
File: Sega-Firecore-Set.jpg (1 MB, 3640x1540) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Firecore-Set.jpg
1 MB, 3640x1540
>>3197414
*forgot pic*
>>
>>3197414
That's because they stole the bsnes emulator core from retroarch. That's pretty damn accurate.
>>
>>3197416
In that case they used the Genesis Plus GX core.
>>
>>3197414
>>3197416
AtGames Firecores are not hardware clones either. Tough they even saved on the ARM processor by getting a low-spec knockoff.
>>
File: kangaroo_together.png (392 KB, 1200x960) Image search: [Google]
kangaroo_together.png
392 KB, 1200x960
why not just buy a $100 PC and just emulate all games?
>>
>>3197419
No, they stole the Snes9x Next speedhack fork by Squarepusher. bsnes could never run on their shit hardware
>>
>>3197651
Or a $40 Raspberry Pi.
>>
>>3197686
Or a $20 Wii
>>
>>3197776
Customfirmware wiiu?
>>
>paying for emulation

Doesnt't do anything a $100 laptop can't.
>>
>>3197927
can your laptop write/load savefiles to/from a cartridge
>>
>>3190152
Underrated post
>>
this thing is in a weird market. if i have the carts, i have the console, so i'll use that. if i don't have the console, i'll use a rom on my wii or raspberry pi or laptop. it's so damn expensive you might as well just get an hdmi modded console, too.
>>
>>3197927
I'd love to see a $100 laptop run GBA games smoothly.
>>
Why don't these threads get banned?
>>
>>3198394
I bet a $100 odroid could.
>>
File: Retrode2-open[1].jpg (468 KB, 1280x1119) Image search: [Google]
Retrode2-open[1].jpg
468 KB, 1280x1119
>>3198227
Sure!
>>
>>3194303
>Softmodded to run PS1 games from burned discs.
Impossible.
>>
>>3194017
>And if I'm allowed to dream, maybe DS compatibility, with the touch screen and mic on the controller, and the TV would display the upper screen,

That sounds like Wii U
>>
>>3200169
> What is psxlauncher.elf
>>
>>3200171
I've been saying for literal years this is what WiiU needs. Very much the same way I assumed the Saturn would run Genesis games simply based on its appearance I assumed the WiiU would run DS games even before it was launched
>>
File: 1462730648028.jpg (598 KB, 960x716) Image search: [Google]
1462730648028.jpg
598 KB, 960x716
>>3200178
I don't have a wiiu, but I found this in /vg/hbg/

No physical carts, but rom injections are a thing apparently.
>>
>>3200226
Damn, that's nifty. Wouldn't work for every game but probably 90% of them.
>>
>>3194312
/k/ here. This image triggers me. I truly hope this Fudd tried to use this and it blew his hand off.
>>
>>3200138
That isn't a 100$ pc, that's a 90$ doorstop.
>>
File: Capturetoast.jpg (25 KB, 585x162) Image search: [Google]
Capturetoast.jpg
25 KB, 585x162
>>3198394

Visual Boy Advance
Required:
PII 450
128 MB RAM
DirectX 7

Recommended:
PIII 600
256 MB RAM
DirectX 8

the laptop I just bought for $90
>>
>>3197686
the $35 Rpi meme needs to stop that is for the single board. You need at additional cost
Power Supply
Enclosure
Micro SD card
4pole 3.5mm to 3 rca cable
usb gamepad

Im taking for granted you have a usb keyboard laying around.
>>
>>3201093

Still that isn't shit compared to a retron and cartridges. Even a pre-built raspberry pi isn't that expensive.
>>
>>3201410
I don't think anyone is seriously arguing in favor of a Retron 5 we're more arguing about Wii vs Xbox vs RPi vs Odroid vs PC. Retron 5 isn't even in the running (until somebody gets it to run Android emulators in native mode)
>>
>>3198394
Before my grandfather died, he went out and bought a $100 laptop so he could browse NASA's site and look at all the space and shit.

That's the laptop I'm using now. It runs GBA perfectly, it's DS that's the problem.
>>
>>3201435

In that case obviously a good PC trumps all. Other devices are a matter of if you have them, then they make much easier to tote around alternatives. Raspberry Pi is something I'd get for a family member who isn't good with technology after I've finished setting it up.
>>
>>3201487
It's a cost/benefit thing. A "good" pc is many times more expensive so we're generally discussing the relative performance of a similarly priced PC.
>>
Multiple slots are the dumbest thing ever. Why not just one universal slot and then an adapter that it fitted onto the system or game?
>>
>>3201525
Why would that be better?
>>
>>3201540
So you can lose them, obviously
>>
>>3190104
The console is shoddily made, runs on stolen emulator code, damages the carts, the controlers are unconfortable and creak a lot, plus since the console overheats a lot, it's a fire hazard.

Better stick to original hardware or simply emulate.
>>
>>3190106
>>3190148
>>3190152
/tv/ would've said
>me and my wife's kid love it
>>
>>3198394
Holy fuck kid. I have a G4 that I keep around for editing old mac shit. The kids use it for VBA. My old phone emulated GBA smoothly. Sounds like you've never seen a $100 bill in your life.
>>
>>3202054
>i've been on /tv/ for multiple summers
Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.