[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hybrid Heaven
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4
File: Hybrid Heaven.jpg (193 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Hybrid Heaven.jpg
193 KB, 1360x768
Just got this game, about 45 minutes in by now.

God damn, could the cutscenes be any longer?

This being said, while not exactly what I'd call graphically impressive, and the N64 has seen better cameras, the combat system works pretty well thus far, and the game has the atmosphere down pat. The soundtrack's still a bit underwhelming, but OTOH, I only just started to fight enemies I couldn't take down with my defusor. I reckon it's still effectively the tutorial, we'll see what comes later.

Though I have no fucking idea what's going on. God damn, the late nineties and their conspiracy theories. X-Files, Perfect Dark (what, the president gets replaced here, too?), this...

Also props for treating the player to an under-the-shower ass shot of a muscular guy right in the opening cutscene. That must've done wonders for sales.

tl;dr: N64 RPGs. Ahaha
>>
File: son.png (451 KB, 735x897) Image search: [Google]
son.png
451 KB, 735x897
never heard

what's it like?
>>
>>3189627
I heard it's like the N64's answer to MGS.
>>
>>3189649
oh shit nigga this does look good

adding this to my backlog ty
>>
Got outbid by 25 cents on eBay for this game with the manual today. Been trying to get my hands on it for a while. Not that it's expensive, I'm just a cheap fuck and $5 would've been the perfect price.
>>
>>3189649
It plays nothing like MGS. It's really more like some weird fighting/RPG hybrid.
>>
>>3189649

Honestly Operation Winback was the 64s answer to MGS.

Eitherway, Hybrid Heaven is rather dope. The story is good as the game actual progresses and the combat system is pretty indepth. My only complaints are that the game is pretty short, and can be a bit tedious at times. Also, the cutscenes can be a bit cheesy but I like it better that way.

In my opinion, one of the best games on the N64.
>>
>>3189627
It's like a wrestling RPG.
>>
>>3189627
Invasion of the body snatchers with wrestling that's also an RPG. I'm not even a big n64 fan but it's a fantastic game, easily one of the best on the system. Doesn't emulate properly thought so tracking down a physical copy is a must.
>>
>>3189690
I paid 10 for CIB at a store a few towns over. Feels like a good deal
>>
File: bigbross.jpg (194 KB, 512x396) Image search: [Google]
bigbross.jpg
194 KB, 512x396
>>3189649

That's really not the case at all, but yes, magazines back in the day were hyping this game as "N64's answer to MGS", I guess it was because of the general aesthetics and the fact it was a Konami game, but the game is nothing like MGS.

However, some of the staff in the game worked on the MSX Metal Gears and Snatcher.
>>
I found this at a flea market for $1 a few months ago. Maybe I'll give it a go now.
>>
File: yuzu.jpg (118 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
yuzu.jpg
118 KB, 1440x810
>>3189649
>>3193337
It originally was suppose to be the N64's answer to MGS. Originally you could hide in places and use stealth in the game. If you notice going into battles you get standard advantages, then sometimes when you are just trying to run away from an enemy they could get an enemy advantage when they start with a full power bar while you have no power in your gauge at all. Obviously the stealth mechanic would actually make use of the start of battle initiative, but since they decided to scrap stealth you get these battle initiations that really don't add anything to the game since a huge play style was removed.

>>3189627
RPG with natural growth mechanics. You use a body part and you eventually get stronger with that body part, same thing with getting hit so if you get hit in a certain body part its defense could go up. You also learn skills from enemies performing them on you, and there is a huge risk versus reward with certain moves like Brain buster, Headbutt, Pile driver, and so on due to the fact that they target the head. Hybrid Heaven has a location based damage system like Vagrant Story, but it does it MUCH better than Vagrant Story. If your head goes into a critical state you become unconscious and the enemies can just stomp on you while you are on the ground.

A must play if you want a JRPG that strays off the beaten path.
>>
>>3193458
It's good; you should.

Here's the manual for some extra fluff.
http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_N64//Manual/formated/Hybrid_Heaven_-_1999_-_Konami.pdf
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.