[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come every other SNK game was a fighting game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4
File: NeoGeo.png (61 KB, 996x520) Image search: [Google]
NeoGeo.png
61 KB, 996x520
How come every other SNK game was a fighting game?
>>
They had more non-fighting games than fighting games
>>
>>3188845
This >>3188846 but you mostly know about the fighting games because they were the best in general.
>>
>>3188846

Not in any top 50 list.
>>
>>3188845
1) arcade games only
2) 1990s
3) no gun or steering wheel on the cab

In conclusion, $$$$$$
>>
I wish fighters weren't the most pointless genre ever so I could actually enjoy the Neo Geo library.
>>
Fighting games were huge in arcades in the 90's. Also, they were really good at making fighting games, so people expected more.
>>
File: 1441370899665.gif (14 KB, 500x596) Image search: [Google]
1441370899665.gif
14 KB, 500x596
>>3188845
>>3189416
>babby youtubers asking ignorant questions again
>>
>>3189593
>penguin avatarfag nobody likes talking down to anyone

anyway, there's a fucking shit ton of non-fighter games by snk. in fact the first game that pops into my head when i hear snk is metal slug, top hunter, or cardfighters clash.
>>
>>3189593
Penguin is starting to get more annoying than the smug fire emblem poster.
>>
>>3189628
it's probably the same person tbqh
>>
>>3188845
Because nobody is going to play a 100-hour JRPG in an arcade. Duh.
>>
>>3188845

Because the Neo Geo was primarily an arcade machine designed to eat up coins.
And aside from Vs fighters or Metal Slug like shooters most other games just allowed the player to use the machine for too long on a single coin.

Arcade operators wanted big flashy games that didn't last too long. (unless you were willing to keep pumping in coins)

Kinda hard to earn money when just one kid is standing behind your expensive machine playing Chrono Trigger on his first coin.
>>
>>3189628
>smug fire emblem poster

Not even the same league of forcing.
>>
Neo Geo was such a limited machine that could not do epic JRPG's that the SNES had.
>>
>>3189664

>playing a RPG on an arcade

is like you wanted to show your autism to the world
>>
>>3188845
Horrible bait thread. Anyway, I've always wondered what stores actually sold Neo Geo consoles back in the day. I'm assuming it was only carried by specialty stores in major cities? Do any of you remember walking into your local Electronics Boutique or whatever and seeing Neo Geo stuff for sale?
>>
>>3189954
This actually reminds me of something I wanted to ask.

I was watching a documentary about the history of video games, and there was a scene where a Japanese arcade had some RPG.

Also, in Game Center CX, Arino mentions a Phantasy Star cabinet in one of the game centers he visits.

What's the deal, exactly? How do they regulate the price and time of such a game? Who would sit in an arcade to play am RPG? How would you save your progress?!
>>
>>3189968
>How would you save your progress
Neo geo had memory cards you could use in the arcades
>>
>>3189968

>What's the deal, exactly? How do they regulate the price and time of such a game?

When i was a kid my city arcade had a cabinet with Sonic 2 installed. It let you play 10 mins for every coin you inserted. After that the controls stop responding. Nintendo playchoice 10 had the same system but for 3min. And for saving, this >>3189995 but it would have been insane because even the most basic RPG's in the SNES era were at least 5hrs long in your first playthrough
>>
>>3189638

Huh? You can have tons of different genres in the arcade. Look at Sega. It's just that the NEO-Geo's best games all happen to mostly be fighting games, metal slug, and a handful of shmups.
>>
>>3189416
>top anything list
>parsing someones opinion and taste in entertainment based on nothing
>being this retarded
wow
>>
>>3189593

416 didn't ask a question.
>>
>>3190058

>Wanting to blindly buy expensive as fuck games without a clue of what's good
>calling others retarded

Gas yourself.
>>
>>3190070
>not trying it out on emulator
>trusting some "retrogaym journalist" to tell you whats good
wew
>>
>>3190082
>implying I want to shift through mountains of shit to get at the good games
>implying I look at retrogame blogs
>implying the point of /VR/ is literally anything other than posting and defending shitty opinions on what games are good
>>
>>3190058
>>3190082

Didn't they have top lists in gaming mags back in the day?
>>
>>3190090
>implying I want to shift through mountains of shit to get at the good games
>again thinks his taste of whats good is equivalent to someone else
heh your a funny guy
>>
>>3190107

>implying I have to mold my taste to someone else and not just use it to make informed decisions in how I use my time

>implying game quality is all relative, and that a general consensus on what's good can't exist.
>>
>>3190128
Oh get a room you homos
>>
>>3188845
>I'm too young to remember what people played back then and even too young to look up what games it had.
>>
>>3188845
They were Call of Duty clones of its time.
>>
>>3188845
Why weren't more SNK games Crystalis?
>>
>>3190219
Because Crystalis was a failure in every possible way.
>>
>>3190330
Name them, please.
>>
>>3190342
Gameplay, story, graphics, music, commercially, etc...
>>
>>3190153
I'm fairly certain that was one lonely anon arguing with himself.
>>
>>3189664
They could and did in fact did RPGs for AES. MVS did not get RPGs because RPGs are not suitable business model.

>>3189958
Nearly every laundromat stores and swap meets nearby me. They still have them, in fact. They would always have a magical drop or puzzle bobble.

>>3190219
Crystalis was not a commercial success. It was one of those cursed SNK games that had good reviews, but shit sales.
>>
>>3189664
>Neo Geo was such a limited machine
It was the most powerful console on the market during it's time.
>>
>>3193270
So I take it you're not from the US and I'm also assuming you don't mean that these stores had/have the actual console for sale?
>>
File: 20160506_0019.jpg (774 KB, 1600x1245) Image search: [Google]
20160506_0019.jpg
774 KB, 1600x1245
Best ADK game coming through
>>
>>3195506
That's not saying much since the World Heroes games and Agressors of Dark Kombat sucked.

But yeah, Twinkle Star Sprites is fucking fun.
>>
>>3195518
>World Heroes suck
this shit taste
>>
So many great memories playing Metal Slug games in arcades.
>>
>>3190358
>Gameplay, story, graphics, music,
Nigga the only failure here is your taste on vidya.
>>
>>3189523
I feel the same way about the Saturn and Dreamcast. Bought them, bought a few good games on each, then realised the rest were fighters. Where are all the side scrollers?
>>
>>3199667

Which side scrollers?
>>
>>3199694
With the Saturn and Dreamcast I was hoping for the kinds of games I played on the Mega Drive, platformers and side-scrolling action games like Strider and Revenge of Shinobi, but it doesn't seem like there are many of them.
>>
>>3189604
>nobody likes
I'll have you know I love the game that's from.
>>
>>3199718
>replying to a 4 day old post
>>
>>3199712
don't those have shmups though? Those are pretty fun. also which games do you have for each?
>>
>>3199719
Don't tell me how to live my life.
>>
>>3199720
I like the occasional shmup, although I don't play them very often because, to be honest, they all seem like nearly the same game to me.

Here's what I have:

Saturn:
Daytona USA
Daytona USA Championship Edition
Sonic Jam
Sonic 3D
Crusader: No Remorse
NiGhTs Into Dreams

Dreamcast:
Phantasy Star Online
Jet Set Radio
Crazy Taxi
Sonic Adventure 1+2
Chu Chu Rocket
>>
>>3199723
You don't even have one.
>>
>>3200771
I have one
IN MY MIND!!!!
collectorfag resller scum jew fag nigger
>>
>>3193270
>They could and did in fact did RPGs for AES. MVS did not get RPGs because RPGs are not suitable business model.

What RPGs exist for Neo Geo?

I know only of Samurai Shodown RPG which is NeoGeoCD exclusive and was never in arcades.
>>
Since we're on this topic...

What are the best /vr/ (1999 or earlier) SNK fighting games?

Totally clueless pleb here.
>>
>>3205918
Pretty much anything not by ADK.
Except Ninja Master's, somehow they managed to do a fighting game right for once.
>>
>>3205927
That's good to know, thanks.

But for a total beginner what would you steer me to for starters?
>>
>>3204227
Uh, Riding Hero.
>>
>>3205930
fatal fury special, real bout, kof 96 onwards especially 98
>>
>>3205918
I'm pretty sure it's fine to talk about 2000's Neo Geo games since the hardware is from 1990.

If you're new to fighters, Garou: Mark of the Wolves is probably the most beginner-friendly one, and one of the best looking fighters on the Neo Geo. Most of the KoF games are great as well, but they can be a little harder to get into than Capcom fighters due to some of the harder move inputs.
>>
>>3208475
exept for the pretzel how are they harder?
>>
>>3208643
Can't buffer button inputs.
>>
>>3189416
>Not in any top 50 list.
>Look at me moving the goal posts because i was wrong.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.