[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anti Gravity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 10
File: wipeout2097fzerox.jpg (250 KB, 1280x480) Image search: [Google]
wipeout2097fzerox.jpg
250 KB, 1280x480
Who did it better?
>>
Wipeout games are so much prettier and cooler looking.
>>
Wipeout.

Because Psygnosis.
>>
>>3188072
on the n64, F-Zero is better than Wipout64

Wipout64 has loads of popping up backgrounds instead of gently coming to the fore-screen like the playstation version

F-Zero is original and fun, great sounds and loads of replay value

so
>F-zero is best
in concerns to Wipout64
>>
>>3188219
wipeout 64 had ai that used the quake and health absorb, neither of the ps1 ai's could do that
>>
>>3188226
It was just ugly

the walls and tracks just appear in front of you

it's a messy cheap game and n64 is capable of much more

as though it was rushed out on the back of ps1 wipout hype
>>
File: Extreme-G.jpg (128 KB, 480x349) Image search: [Google]
Extreme-G.jpg
128 KB, 480x349
'Sup
>>
>>3188235
no/little resistance when hitting the walls

crappy playability but great looks
>>
never played any of the wipeout games, I always see XL for 4.99 at a local shop of mine, should I pick it up?
>>
>>3188250
Definitely. Cool ships, weapons, tracks, good replay ability and a fantastic soundtrack, above all.
>>
>>3188259
k thanks anon
>>
>>3188235
This, tbqh. Not even because of the looks - the way F-zero handled just felt weird to me.

And the weapons were obscenely fun.

Sure, an argument can be made that the weapons took away from the sheer skill involved in driving, but ya'know... fun.

I like having fun and Extreme-G had it in spades.
>>
Wipeout.
>>
>>3188072
F-Zero X has more mechanical depth and a higher skill ceiling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP7hdQXoNmw
>>
>>3188072
Wipeout is more realistic and has better style while F-Zero is more arcade-y and with campier style.

Depends on what you like really. Both are great at what they do.
>>
>>3188630
Looks more like broken gameplay abuse than high skillship, tbfh.
>>
>>3188230
>It was just ugly
And f-zero was somehow pretty? Don't delude yourself.
>>
>>3188907
Staff ghosts don't go flying off the track for a full minute.
>>
>>3188774
No, almost everything in that video is an intended mechanic. Even the staff ghosts do sliding and double tap dives.

But even the unintended mechanics take an incredible amount of skill to do, so I'm not sure how that changes anything. Bunnhyhoping in Quake wasn't an intended mechanic either.

>>3188913
Neither does that video, but flight mechanics and airborn maneuverability are intentional. The developers have gone on record saying they approve of the playstyle used in time trials.
>>
Doesn't matter when I'm shit at both of them ;_;
>>
>>3188072
Wipeout has terrible, fucked-up physics, but I guess it's fine if you're an easily wowed graphicsfag

F-Zero X on the other hand is mechanically deep and has full 60fps gameplay that feels fast as hell
>>
>>3188952
>Wipeout has terrible, fucked-up physics

Explain.
>>
deluded f-zero fanboys are the worst thing to plague not only this website but the internet as a whole
>>
Threads about comparing F-Zero to anything is literally worse than console war threads.
>>
>>3189125
A more important and better question is, Daytona or Ridge Racer /vr/?
>>
>>3189130
I forgot if Daytona even lets you go way sideways
>>
>>3189139
You're joking, right?
>>
>F-Zero X
60fps
>Wipeout series
Not 60fps

This is a rare occasion where the N64 wins.
>>
>>3188235
This game was great.
>>
File: 1460475653264.jpg (6 KB, 227x222) Image search: [Google]
1460475653264.jpg
6 KB, 227x222
I love how hostile these threads are.
Sad to see both franchises are dead in the water, but good to see the fanbases still alive and kicking, even if they're kicking each other.
>>
File: goteem.jpg (61 KB, 357x346) Image search: [Google]
goteem.jpg
61 KB, 357x346
>>3188072
>who
Deez nuts?
>>
>>3189142
I didn't grow up with Daytona, I only play it at the arcades when I'm done hogging the Outrun 2 SP machine. I really suck at Daytona and I didn't own a Saturn and stuff. I have it on XBLA too but I never really learned how to play it proper.
>>
>>3189142
>>3189193
Actually I just want to clarify that I was asking if Daytona gets REALLY sideways. I know you drift in that game but it feels pretty restrained like Outrun. Ridge Racer drifts feel like they're trying to throw the driver out the window and they have spasms when you try to calm it down.
>>
>>3188186
F Zero X. Because it's a pure racing game, not a part-time racer moonlighting as a shooter. And it has the most intuitive air physics. Fuck GX though. Sega screwed that right up.
>>
>>3188235
not anti-gravity. The wheels clearly touch the ground
>>
>>3188912
I liked X. There was something hypnotic in the way the track would unfurl in front of you at 60fps. It was like liquid or something. It was almost alive.
>>
>>3189164
I'd want retro Wipeout games to be 60fps just as much as you would, but I think we were arguing conceptual choices behind the games more than anything. Fact is F-Zero X is an arcade game by definition, and thus really needs fast reflexes (this makes 60fps mandatory) and or memorization, while Wipeout takes the simulation approach giving you more degrees of freedom while also taxing you with realistic, heavy handling that requires planned out (i.e. memorization) moves on every possible direction that on the faster difficulty feel like you're always on the edge of colliding with the track (this is a bad thing), while also spicing it up with weapons so that even with a couple mistakes you're still not out of the game, and you can disable them if you really like. For the fact it doesn't need fast reflexes the game running at 60fps in my opinion is not necessary, but a solid 30 one is required nevertheless. Wipeout HD runs at 60fps, but that didn't make me like the game more because it was a shadow of its former, retro self.
>>
>>3189325
>you can disable them if you really like
don't do this. When I got 2097/XL I disabled weapons, because I don't care about them in my futuristic racers. This had two consequences. First, the game became hard as hell. The developers consider weapons mode normal, and the weapons are the primary mechanism to slow down the opposition. And second, your choice of disabling weapons is ignored for the challenges, which are always with weapons enabled. So I spent a long time beating the hard as balls weaponless single races, only to be presented with a completely different game during the challenges. It sucks that weapons are so important in wipEout, but turning them off leads to far more pain than gain.
>>
>>3188072
wipeout games were buggy as fuck.
>>
>>3189383
Apart from going so fast you fly off the track and clip through the scenery, I don't remember it being that buggy.
>>
>>3188072

Neither.

https://archive.org/details/taito-vertexer-footage
>>
>>3189396
Shit, that looks cool as fuck.
>>
>>3189396
Never ever getting dumped.
>>
>>3189325
>Wipeout takes the simulation approach giving you more degrees of freedom while also taxing you with realistic, heavy handling that requires planned out (i.e. memorization) moves on every possible direction
It took me a very long time (since the late 90s) to learn this game but it was worth it and I wouldn't change a thing. The very last track Spilskinanke on phantom still tears me a new one but I'm mostly okay with wanting to get gud.
>>
>>3189098
>when people say things i disagree with, it means they're deluded, evidence be damned
>>
F-Zero is objectively the superior game
>More tracks
>More racers
>Death race
>Random track generation
>Jap expansion pack even has a track creator
>100% skill based, no Mario Kart-tier quakes

The only thing wipeout has over F-Zero is it's soundtrack, and only if you prefer techno to rock

>>3189325
>Wipeout physics
>Realistic

Yeah, it's so realistic to lose all your momentum and speed the instant you scrape against the wall
>>
>>3189563
see
>>3189125
>>
>>3189569
>Thread about comparing games of the same genre that just happen to be on opposing consoles
>OMG CONSOLE WAR PLZ STOP ;~;

Silence yourself. I owned both systems and preferred F-Zero
>>
>>3189563
>scrape against the wall

More like hit it completely, scraping the wall doesn't alter your momentum, unless you're talking about the first Wipeout which had way less tolerance about hit detection. I like to think slowing down is a defense mechanism not to wear out shields immediately resulting in a copious explosion.
>>
>>3189563
If you are grazing the angular slope of the wall, it actually boosts your speed. But you wouldn't know that now would you.
>>
>>3188072
>30 cars
>60 fps

X
>>
Y'all niggers are fuck peices of shit cuck little bitch ass fucking pussies
>>
>>3188969

Wipeout cars handle like hovercrafts in Diddy Kong Racing. All loose like your moms beat pussy.

F-zero handles like you have a rocket engine strapped at your back propelling you forward like a stallions cock.
>>
>>3188630
that just looks like its being played by a retard
>>
People who think F-Zero X is worse than Wipeout are largely Sony dickriders who haven't actually played F-Zero and will do all sorts of mental gymnastics to avoid admitting that an N64 game is better than a playstation game.
>>
>>3189743
>that just looks like its being played by a retard
Imagine being this delusional.
>>
>>3189563
>it's so realistic to lose all your momentum and speed the instant you scrape against the wall
That only happens in the first game.

>>3189746
Literally no one is shitting on F-Zero ITT. It's mostly F-Zero babies shitting on Wipeout.

I like both but F-Zero Fans are the worst.
>>
>>3190532
Heck, F-Zero X/GX isn't even the fastest racing game ever if we're going about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXj5tuAtfGs
>>
>>3189406
It's getting dumped once the guy who owns it raises enough cash on his patreon.

https://www.patreon.com/ShouTime?ty=h
>>
>>3190554
I'm donating to more worthy endeavors like feminism in videogames.
>>
>>3190784
why are you people always posting music instead of gameplay? Readers that know nothing about the game are no wiser, except knowing there are retard fans out there that think the music is all that's noteworthy about it
>>
File: Scorcher_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg (917 KB, 1400x2360) Image search: [Google]
Scorcher_Saturn_US_Box_Front.jpg
917 KB, 1400x2360
>>3188072
Zyrinx and Jesper Kyd coming through!

Dat godlike Kyd OST:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwnTgvyQTpY
>>
>>3190792

Also hands down the best riding position ever.
>>
>>3188169
And much worse.

F-Zero X erryday.
>>
>>3191542
the worst aspect of F-Zero is its rabid fans. Anytime I even think about giving the game a chance and trying it (any version), these asshats come around, shit on other games as if it means something. I don't think I'm interested in a game that requires me to become such an asshole. I'm being unfair to the game, but at this point I don't care. It's more effort to get through that wall of crazy than I'm willing to give, and there's plenty of other games I can play that don't give me that trouble.
>>
Wipeout has better flotation physics.

F-Zero just glues you to the track when you're near it.

Wipeout has more interesting track design and surrounding aesthetics.

F-Zero has more open courses and higher speeds.
>>
File: 1431105660145.jpg (28 KB, 642x369) Image search: [Google]
1431105660145.jpg
28 KB, 642x369
>>3191552
In case anyone is still wondering why nobody likes F-Zero fans, they are the Souls preachers of racing games. Except replace "hard" with "fast."
>>
>>3191552
>>3191694
I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not, but it's all about seperating an artist from their craft, or in this case separating the fans from the craft.
I love F-Zero and I've enjoyed what I played of Wipeout, no need to have silly internet quarrels ruin that for me.
>>
>>3191759
in theory I'd agree with you. In practice I can not be arsed to muster up a positive thought for the series, and I do not consider that a loss, simple as that.
>>
>>3191764
well, as long as you're happy.
>>
>>3191774
sure am. Plenty of very entertaining games to play. Only kind of annoying when they shit up arcade racer threads, and there's little that can be done about that.
>>
>>3191552
Because Wipeout fans definitely never shit on F-Zero.
>>
>>3191806
Comments from Wipeout fans are from retaliation, comments from F-Zero fans are always arrogance, whether it's comparing itself to other games or not.
>>
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer was pretty good
>>
>>3191848
>Comments from Wipeout fans are from retaliation
Sometimes yes, but much of the time, no.
>>
>>3191848

If you think only one faction of the battle is bad, then you are part of the problem. Both F-Zero and Wipeout fans like to argue with each other.

Anyway, it's legitimately silly to decide not to play video games because of the fanbase or things that are external to the actual video game, but I think you already realize that.
>>
>>3191883
>>3191848
there are more f-zero fans than wipeout fans so it's only logical that f-zero fans will shit on wipeout more than vice-versa. 80% of f-zero discussion is crying over the fact that the series is dead while 80% of wipeout discussion is nostalgia about the good old days when wipeout was relevanr

source: /v/ archive
>>
>>3193343
>If you think only one faction of the battle is bad, then you are part of the problem. Both F-Zero and Wipeout fans like to argue with each other.
the huge difference is that wipeout fans won't enter a general thread about racing games and start shouting how their video game is the fastest and greatest and most technical and most flawless racing video game ever and how no other racing video game can compare, like f-zero fans do

even though this thread isn't a general racing thread just take a look at the start of it, which camp started shitting on the other camp first, and you'll see what I mean

I personally never shit on f-zero except for the fans who legit deserve to be purged from the internets for their pretentiousness and retardation

>>3191883
see above
>>
Gran Turismo vs Mario Kart, which one is better guys?
>>
>>3193443
crash team racing
>>
>>3193443
outrunners
>>
>>3191552
>le cancerous fanbase
Every other day I learn about a new game/tv/anime/whatever series having "the worst fanbase EVER". The fact that you're letting internet people influence your opinions on things is much, much worse than any "le rabid cancertism fandom"
>>
Wipeout has actual track design. F-zero is just tubes and strips floating in nondescript locations. Any track can be Mute City you just need to put the theme in the background and you're done. That's how bland f-zero is.
>>
>>3193437

I think you take internet flamebait too seriously.
It's fine if you played F-Zero and didn't like it, but not wanting to play it because of the fans, that means they won: they shitposted you enough so that you will miss on a good series just because of internet trolls. You're letting them win.
Also Wipeout fans also shitpost, maybe they're fewer in number as >>3193421 said, but there's always shitposters around, it's just not the F-Zero fanbase.

Have you checked dem Castlevania threads? Great games but boy, if I had to go by the fanbase I'd never touch these games.
>>
>>3193437
F-Zero fan here.

>their video game is the fastest
technically, no. there are faster racing games.
>greatest
subjective
>most technical
this is true.
>most flawless
again, subjective. this is largely dependent on what an individual defines as a flaw.
>no other racing video game can compare
this really depends on what you're looking for in a racing game. if what you're looking for in a racing game is realism, F-Zero doesn't compare at all to Gran Turisom, for example.

F-Zero being "better" than other racing games depends entirely on what you're looking for in a racing game. If you're looking for the most technical racing games with the highest skill ceiling, F-Zero is the best (and really, the only super technical F-Zero games are X and GX. the rest of the F-Zero games don't really compare to those two.).

If you're interested in other qualities in racers, F-Zero might not be the best.
>>
>>3193343
There were many discussions about Wipeout and anti gravity racing games without ever mentioning F-Zero. The real shit storm happens when someone likes to interject to mention that "btw Wipeout sucks, F-Zero is better." I've never really seen occurrences where someone would want to talk about Wipeout and deal a blow to F-Zero out of nowhere. Wipeout fans know for a fact that its game speed or ship speeds are not particularly light speeds ahead of other racing games, but F-Zero fans? Yeah, that's all they talk about, how fast they can go and how impressive their glitches are.

By the way I'm not saying Wipeout fan shitposting is at 0% to F-Zero's 100%, but argument happens because of F-Zero poking their nose into every thread whenever they need to mention MUH SPEED.
>>
File: MDBHwuB.jpg (485 KB, 1750x2344) Image search: [Google]
MDBHwuB.jpg
485 KB, 1750x2344
The designers behind the graphics will always make me favor wipeout. Way better art.
>>
>>3193480
>The fact that you're letting internet people influence your opinions on things is much, much worse than
why? Why do YOU give a shit how I play my games?
>>
>>3193491
>that means they won
It's not a game, or a war

>miss on a good series
There are a billion of good games out there, and many more of them are not encumbered with shitheads. That's good enough for me

>You're letting them win.
I'm not fighting

>Have you checked dem Castlevania threads?
rarely, too much noise, too little gain

>if I had to go by the fanbase I'd never touch these games
I'll let you guess what I do
>>
>>3193769
>this is true
aand you're shitposting, well done

>again, subjective
odd how you missed that simple thing just two lines before

>if what you're looking for in a racing game is realism, F-Zero doesn't compare at all to Gran Turisom, for example.
Go put some fuel on that strawman, it will burn so much brighter

>If you're looking for the most technical racing games with the highest skill ceiling
Fuck off, shitposting asshole, seriously. You people make me fucking sick.
>>
>>3194225
you seem like a bigger cunt than anyone in here posting about f-zero.
>>
Both are good.

But Wipeout is the better game
>>
>>3193437 here

>>3194224 >>3194225 is not me
>>
>>3194245
correct, these two post are from >>3191552, me
>>
>>3194225
>odd how you missed that simple thing just two lines before
how can skill ceiling be subjective?

that's like saying it's subjective whether or not chess is harder than checkers.
>>
>>3188072
F-Zero X for the hilarious randomized level generator course.
>>
>>3194207
I love FEISAR even though up until HD their ships were mostly unusable if you wanted to win anything. E-UNITY!
>>
>>3194395
feisar is average. That's their whole purpose
>>
>>3194402
I know, I just love their ship designs and logos.
>>
>>3194409
I kind of love just how average and non-confrontational feisar is. The textbook example of a design by committee. I do think it's a subtle TDR joke.
My favorite is qirex. Russian engineering madness rocks, regardless of how competitive or not the crafts are
>>
>>3194420
to clarify, I'm not saying feisar is bad. I think it's a brilliant contribution to the team selection. I just enjoy the stereotype they're representing
>>
>>3194420
>The textbook example of a design by committee.
Yeah but irc Feisar isn't even aiming to win anything as they are the biggest producers of anti-grav propulsion in the setting. And they are more about safety than any other team. Though as a team representing the EU they should at least try not to suck.
>>
>>3194430
>Though as a team representing the EU they should at least try not to suck
Why? As it is, they perfectly represent the complete lock on any kind of "unapproved" development, because all the parties involved want to keep their share and their "identity" in it. Look at Feisar across multiple games and you can see their craft changing very little, compared to all the others. You can't deviate from the base design even gradually, if any change needs to be approved by a council. Feisar is an utterly political team in that sense, it's all internal power struggles leading to a complete standstill. Also, that safety thing. Full crashtest series for every new model, I bet. Shit's expensive
>>
>>3194443
I thought Feisar is a EU tech conglomerate that happens to be in charge of maintaining the official EU team.
>>
>>3194458
same difference, no? Too many people involved wanting to put down their signature, and too many people involved trying to keep the others from leaving a mark
>>
>>3194465
Well, as far as that goes I think by the time of Wipeout Fury they found a way to work it all out judging by the official team announcement that the ship will be build in Italy with a Italian vision and style.
>>
>>3194458
future EU is just a more safety-concerned Soviet Union
>>
they're two completely different fucking games lol. wipeout, 2097, and 3 all own, and the ones after suck. f-zero x is better than gx. niggers
>>
>>3194204
Look, if you grew up playing wipeout and prefer that, that's fine. There's no need for you to go inventing some elaborate persecution scenario just to justify your butthurt
>>
File: f-zero-gp-legend-gba.1509720.jpg (54 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
f-zero-gp-legend-gba.1509720.jpg
54 KB, 600x399
How much of a plebe am I for preferring the 2D F-Zero games to the 3D ones?
>>
I think it's like two different types of anti-grav, you know? Wipeout is more bouncy and floaty, like they're pucks on an air hockey table. F-zero is a smooth hover, which is more what you strictly see in sci-fi stories such as Luke's hover car in Star Wars.
It's up to opinion which is better, but Wipeout's is definitely more grounded in reality.
>>
>>3194694
That actually makes you a minimal pleb. Plebs only want the absolute newest version of a game, a thus would strictly only play GX.
>>
File: 1374123007163.jpg (75 KB, 800x582) Image search: [Google]
1374123007163.jpg
75 KB, 800x582
>>3194790
I feel like F-Zero has this obligation to stay within tradition where ships stick to the track plane rigidly, because that's where the technology topped at. Wipeout had magnet repulsion-like hover physics because its 3D foundation was there from the get go. If the next F-Zero tried to break that tradition and implement some vertical force in its ships (beyond the standard ramps and drops), the players will react very negatively to it because it doesn't feel as similar to the series' roots.
>>
>>3194694
Not even real F-Zero fans like GX. GBA and N64 were better. GX's fan base consists of a really loud minority.
>>
>>3194694
Who cares what some NERD thinks of your opinion. Just play games.
>>
>>3194965
There is all kinds of flight and airborn maneuverability in f-zero games.
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.