[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best /vr/ Let's Play and why is it Jurassic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: Jp-trespasser-cover.png (199 KB, 256x307) Image search: [Google]
Jp-trespasser-cover.png
199 KB, 256x307
What's the best /vr/ Let's Play and why is it Jurassic Park Trespasser by Research Indicates?
>>
>>3187485
It looked cool back in the day. I've never known anyone that's actually played it though. It's one of those games where I'd rather just watch YouTube footage of rather than actually play.
>>
>>3187485
>Let's Plays

>>>/v/
>>
>>3187491
Did you watch the one OP mentioned? It is a masterpiece, very informative, more fun than playing that buggy mess of a game.
>>
>>3187489
Fuck you, Trespasser is the 3rd best dinosaur game.
>>
>>3187493
I don't get how you guys watch full length let's plays. I'd much rather watch a succinct but informative 8-10 minute review.
>>
>>3187485
Research Indicates Trespasser being the "BEST LP EVER!" is a meme spread by something awful to make themselves look good. It's not bad, but there is as good if not better out there, just really good for it's time in 2000-whatever when ever LP was shit and Retsupray was on the rise.

>>3187489
It's a decent game, I've played through it twice now. If you know how to properly line up the iron sights on guns, and not run and shoot like an idiot, it's so much easier to play. Plus the guns sound amazing and it's not very long just to peek at a really innovative title that pushed the limits back in 98.
>>
>>3187502
The entire sound engine is good, it used A3D 1.0 for sound output. Which no modern PC can process..
>>
This was one of the first games to have a robust physics engine, right? Heard it was a partial inspiration for HL2.
>>
>>3187513
Yeah, the developers were going for "realism" with the whole arm mechanic but it just ended up being a detriment to actually enjoying the game as is often the case.
>>
>>3187513
After reading up on it, this seems like an interesting bit of history for guys that know how to code as all the different shit built into the Trespasser engine was way ahead of its time, but the end result wasn't a very good game.
>>
>>3187521
Says the person that hasn't played it.I think it succeeds as a sort of open world dinosaur game, and in giving us a chance to explore the jurassic park island.
>>
>>3187521
rather have a game be overly ambitious and fail than have more of the same and not innovate
>>
>>3187485
>youtube
>let's plays
>the serious cancer killing /vr/

I honestly wish just having the words "Youtube" in your post was an instant permaban.

I'd flood this thread with hentai but my hdd with /vr/ doujins died -_-
>>
>>3187537
True I haven't played it, but any amount of gameplay footage reveals that there's a lot of broken shit in the game. I can't imagine playing it for more than 20 minutes or so before the novelty wears off. Like I said, it was incredibly ambitious on the part of the devs but it was ultimately a disappointment and didn't live up to the hype.
>>
>>3187540
And I forgot to post with my name. *SIGH*
>>
>>3187539
Oh for sure. The late 90s had some awesome high concept stuff like this and Shenmue that really tried to push the limits in games.
>>
>>3187541
Judging a game from a let's play, people these days are crazy.
>>
>>3187550
Anon, it's a buggy mess of a game. It just is. If you enjoy it for what it is, fine. I'm just saying that the development history and the ambitious concepts are personally more interesting to me than actually playing it.
>>
>>3187552
Then you're not the game's target audience: DINOSAUR LOVERS. DINOSAURS ARE FUCKING AWESOME BRO
>>
>>3187540
>>3187542
Sure you're not cancer youreself you little autismo turd?
>>
>>3187556
>Trespasser was designed to have a complex artificial intelligence routine, giving each creature on the island its own set of emotions: fear, happiness, hunger, among many others. Dinosaurs will fight together, enemy to enemy. Dinosaurs would react to the player differently depending on what mood they were in. Unfortunately, system bugs in the artificial intelligence routines made it so that dinosaurs would have drastic mood swings and would switch between mood-based actions so quickly, they would actually stop moving, unable to do anything at all. A quick fix was hard-coded in to the game that locked all dinosaurs’ anger at maximum, leaving all other emotions at zero. This fixed the bug, but also negated all the work the team had done on programming the AI, leaving the dinosaurs ultimately simplistic in their goals.

Damn shame they couldn't make that work. What a neat idea.
>>
>>3187557
Did you just call moi "autismo"? Heh, that's rich coming from an e-celeb youtube shitposter like you. CANCER.

Read my lips, asshole: あなたが嫌いな性交
>>
>>3187485
Someone made DirectX9/OpenAL renderers for the game, which makes it look a lot better.
http://www.trescomforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10674
>>
This one right here:
http://lparchive.org/Half-Life-2/
>>
>>3187485
I don't watch letsplays but tresspasser is a pretty cool game in a lot of ways
>>
this game's pretty much an unfinished Looking Glass Studios game, even had some people from LGS working on it

it shows because of all the innovations they tried putting in
>>
>>3187895
The ideas and ambition behind it are cool, the product they actually released isn't very good. That's the main problem with massively ambitious games like that. Eventually the publisher is going to want them to actually produce a finished product in a timely manner. Trespasser needed another year of development time at least to even come close to living up to all their promises.
>>
>>3188404
3RD BEST DINOSAUR GAME
>>
>>3188416
Yeah, yeah. The bar for that isn't set very high.
>>
>>3188423
Yeah they should make more dinosaur games.
>>
>>3188425
Agreed. Seems like the Far Cry engine is the closest thing we have currently to what Trespasser was meant to be.
>>
>>3187485
Was actually one of my favorite games as a kid, mostly because I was obsessed with dinosaurs and Jurassic Park. The fact that it was crap didn't even cross my mind as I played it.

It took me weeks to just beat the first stage because I was scared shitless by the raptors.
>>
>>3187505
Pretty sure there are some .dlls out there that can get it to work in OpenAL.

I know I got the 3D sound working in Thief Gold. Pretty sure it used the same 3D audio tech.
>>
>>3188425

I would love a new Tresspasser like game.

>Crysis like engine.
>Raptors being a constant danger.
>Smart T-Rex that chases you through the abandoned town.
>Searching for items.
>a few NPCs here and there.
>Big jungles.
>Whats that sound??
>Abandoned airport! aww no working planes.
>More jungle..
>rusted monorail found!
>Searching for stuff.

I'd play that shit all day.
>>
>>3187501
This. Got any good recommendations? Game historian and gamesack only ones I know
>>
>>3187485
I wish we could have more discussion about games like this. Too bad this thread is going to get bumped off for the millionth console war and crt v lcd thread.

Desperate bump.
>>
>>3187501
you don't devote all of your attention to it. you just put it on while you do something else.
>>
>>3187564
>http://lparchive.org/Half-Life-2/
>cybershell will never come back
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.