[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
discuss this game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: dq3sfc_jpn_front.jpg (2 MB, 1500x2721) Image search: [Google]
dq3sfc_jpn_front.jpg
2 MB, 1500x2721
discuss this game
>>
Female Warrior/Soldier best girl
>>
>>3187182
Loved this game on NES as a kid. Something about the palettes in DQ games that's so soothing. Bought it for GBC as a young adult, provided weeks of entertainment at work (I was a security guard at the time). A few years later the fan translation of pic related came out, and for some reason I never got much into it, even though it's still sitting on my HDD. I might play a little later tonight. Giving the characters seeds manually with save states seems like a way to make the game super easy. I promise I won't, lol.
>>
>>3187182
How long did it take you to realize the world map is basically shaped like Earth? As a kid I was oblivious.
>>
>>3187182
Never finished and I have no idea why. Really great game, just not my favorite Dragon Quest. I'll finish SNES DQIII one of these days.
>>
Amazing game.
I felt in love with that music while playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z41vcQERnQQ A shame the game ends slightly after you get the damn bird and you barely use it.
>>
>>3187182
DQ2 is underrated as fuck. I think the main reason it isn't more popular on this board is because of how great this one is. People who recommend this title to people starting out with the series are doing them a great disservice.
>>
File: dragon-quest-viii.jpg (164 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
dragon-quest-viii.jpg
164 KB, 480x360
>>3187494
YO WHAT THE FUCK

THEY REMIXED THAT SHIT FOR DQ8

I had no idea
>>
>>3187182
>>3187185
I cant put siwnsuits in all girls in my party
>>
>>3187182
Haven't played it.

Played IV on the NES and loved it - are the earlier games worthwhile?

not that I can afford them
inb4 "emulate it"
>>
>>3187467
And a lot of the names of kingdoms correspond to their real-world counterparts.
>>
>>3187469
>Never finished and I have no idea why.
Probably because it's so long. I've never finished it either and it's one of my favorite games ever.
>>
>>3187885
I thought they were dank. But it honestly could just be childhood nostalgia so give it a shot and find out for yourself.
>>
I didn't finish the bonus content in the SFC remake. The extra board game seems impossible without cheating and trying to shave down the time to defeat the dragon feels pointless.
>>
>>3187469
Is that version better? I have a SNES everdrive, but I prefer playing original NES games generally.

Then again, DQIII is like $60...
>>
>>3188046
From my experience I know DQ1 on SFC/SNES gives you more gold and exp probably to reduce the grind. I cannot say for certain whether the later ports do the same.
>>
>>3188049
That's appealing, but I think I'll just play the NES version on my phone of something. I still have actual SNES RPGs I'm neglecting (SMT, for example).
>>
>>3188046
There's extra stuff like mini medals, an additional class, rebalancing etc. Graphics, sounds and controls reflect the extra capabilities of the SFC.

If you play the translated versions you don't have to deal with NOA's censorship.
>>
>>3187230
u my bud.

I like the NES versions of I-IV over the SFC/GBC/iOS/etc. versions, but especially III. The colors are a little more muted than I or II. It reminds me of the palette for Mother 1. I feel like both of those games are really relaxing, and a good argument for not using frameskip and taking it easy.

I never finished V or VI. They're just so damned ugly. FF IV and V have a little blandness going on, but nothing compared to DQV. And VI looks like so fucking XxXShadowSabinXxX Geocities bullshit.
>>
Meh I prefer the SNES versions due to soundtrack alone.
>>
>>3187182
SNES version is so good. Love the Thief class. Beautiful music and fun class system. Straight up turn-based RPG gameplay, which I love. I also love the way Dragon Quest does its storylines. You're kind of left to explore the world. There's this overall theme, but it almost seems like each town is its own episode. Beyond the Beyond also does this, but it's no Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3188148
>but it almost seems like each town is its own episode. Beyond the Beyond also does this, but it's no Dragon Quest.
That doesn't seem that unusual to me. If anything it seems like an Ultima thing.
>>
playing the SNES version right now on an emulator. Really fun game. Honestly though I could not imagine enjoying it without using the FF key to get through all the battle animations, in fact I don't have to imagine because before i started doing that I hated it. I guess I don't have the resolve for the tedium that old school JRPGs throw at you.

That being said great game, great music, huge open world.
>>
>>3188367
I like the animation, but I did feel the pace slowdown from it, and it left me thinking that maybe it's just as well not to bother with animating battles in RPGs.
The original Famicom/NES version doesn't have monster animation, and they cut it from the phone port. GBC has it, though.
>>
>>3188369
In Wizardry you could speed up the combat by holding enter. I'm not sure why they didn't keep such a mechanism for DQ.
>>
>>3187885
DQ3 definitely, and DQ1 takes like 10 or so hours to beat and is pretty straight forward i enjoyed both.
DQ2 however just drags on for too long, it has a nice start but just becomes pretty dull and the game spikes up the difficulty in the end game. It's a chore to play honestly and I can't recommend it and it's pretty much considered the worst DQ by many.

The first time I played these games was last year so no nostalgia.
>>
>>3188450
>considered the worst by many
DQ2 is the most influential RPG ever. This was the game that inspired FFIV and pretty much everything that came after it.
>>
>>3188148
The whole "each town is like an episode" thing doesn't really apply to this DQ, though.
>>
>>3188525
Still the worst Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3188525
The most influential is going to be D&D.
As far as video games go probably Wizardry 1 or Ultima 4.
>>
>>3189121
I am going to reiterate...
DQ2 -> FFIV -> Everything else.
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2011/03/08/psls-presents-takashi-tokita-lead-designer-for-final-fantasy-iv-complete-collection/
>>
>>3188450
>drags on too long
You're in a time where there is so much to play, for little cost. In the 80's and early 90's these games cost seventy or eighty dollars, and many people only owned a handful of games. Why on earth would anyone complain about getting too much game for their dollar?
>>
>>3189229
Now add D&D, Wizardry and Ultima before DQ2 as the article you yourself linked implies.
>>
>>3189057
Worst Dragon Quest is like complaining about something being the worst 10-hour full-body orgasm ever.
>>
>>3188525
>DQ2 is the most influential RPG ever. This was the game that inspired FFIV

What? I think that FFIV is more similar to DQ 4 than 3
>>
>>3189282
>DQ3
I said DQ2. Read that link. >>3189229
>>
File: Dragon Quest III Classes.png (35 KB, 470x370) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Quest III Classes.png
35 KB, 470x370
>>3187591
I can
>>
>>3188367
You could always turn the battle speed up
Eventually the animations stop playing
>>
>>3189373
How complicated would it be to change the sprites/palettes?
>>
File: blue-hair.jpg (115 KB, 610x599) Image search: [Google]
blue-hair.jpg
115 KB, 610x599
>>3189441
Ugh, those costumes are so sexualized.
>>
>>3189450
>Bikini Warriors
>they actually wear bikini

Unforgivable.
>>
>>3189441
Get that irrelevant Chinese bullshit off my board.
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>3189450
None of em even show ankles.
>>
>>3187182
So good that it makes you wonder why RPGs needed to be subverted or parodied.

And then you realize it's because very few things live up to DQ3s near perfection.
>>
>>3188525
>DQ2 is the most influential RPG ever.
I guess if you ignore Wizardry, Ultima, and the original Dragon Quest, sure. And it is considered to be the worst Dragon Quest by many despite the new additions it brought to the franchise. Ask anyone who played all the mainline DQ games to rank them, 2 will always be at the bottom or near it.

>>3189229
So just because the lead designer has a soft spot for the story that means DQ2 is one of the most influential RPGs? Come on guy.

>>3189236
But we're not in the past and I can't really talk about it either since I was born back then, but people can get play these games for free. And just to clarify I didn't mean it as "the game is too long so and that's a bad thing", more that it gets kinda dull shortly after you get all three heroes, there are exciting moments like visiting Alefard but the game world felt too big without that many interesting moments, other NES RPGs, even DQ 3 and 4 were longer and were more interesting.
>>
>male hero and three male warriors
>fantasize about them fucking him mindless every night
>>
File: what.jpg (67 KB, 627x620) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
67 KB, 627x620
>>3189518
>>
>>3189373
I don't remember the king/queen sprite.
Is this an armor or the hero looks like that during some game event?
>>
>>3189529
When you return the crown to Romaly, the King tries to get you to take the throne, you can accept the offer and become King/Queen, but you'll quickly find that you can't do anything, so you have to find the old King and make him take back the throne.
You find him gambling in the Monster Arena.
>>
>>3189529
Early in the game, you are asked by the King of Romaly to recover his Crown from Kandar, in Shanpane Tower. When you come back, the King asks you to take over for him. You go to the Monster Arena in town and find him and tell him to take it back.
>>
File: coke.jpg (30 KB, 306x451) Image search: [Google]
coke.jpg
30 KB, 306x451
>>3189534
Jinx. You owe me pic related.
>>
>>3189459
It's a series about four generic heroines wearing bikinis encountering RPG cliches. There's definitely some connection to DQ3.
>>
>>3189539
While we conveyed the same information, we did not say the same words exactly. There is no jinx here, guv.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.