[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
anyone else prefer Midi game music?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
File: 1461930015037.jpg (344 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1461930015037.jpg
344 KB, 1600x1200
Midi>CD orchestra shit
>>
depends
but midi does allow for playing around with soundfonts and dynamic tracks
sometimes it's just poorly composed/sequenced, though
>>
ok but why deviled eggs
>>
>>3185952

Midi means noon in french
noon is 12 oclock
12 eggs
eggs are 0 shapped.
>>
>>3185959

it all makes sense now!
thank you.
>>
>>3185959
but it's 13 eggs
>>
>>3186090
No it's not. Learn to count.
>>
>>3186145
made you count them
>>
Metal midi are the best!
Aggressive rhythm with no edgy lyrics in sight.
>>
>MIDI
mod/tracker
>>
>>3186339

whats a mod/tracker
>>
>>3186329
>He listens music for the lyrics
What a gayfucker
>>
>>3186354
mod is a file format. Tracker music is a general term. While midi is a standard interface for instruments, mod or a tracker is a bit of a more custom/homebrew thing. They're kind of similar though. A mod file contains samples, and then uses them to play notes at different pitches, with different effects and so on. While definitely not the origin of tracker music, the old unreal engine, Unreal 1, Unreal Tournament 99, Deus Ex and the like, all use mod/tracker music. In Deus Ex it's especially useful, because, similar to midi, tracker music allows very fluent and dynamic transitions between different songs. In Deus Ex it was used to fluently switch between ambient music when you were stealthing, and more exciting tracks when you were in combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eclMFa0mD1c some Amiga tracker music. Genre's usually electro or techno, but the tracker itself is not limited to that
>>
>>3186367
>A mod file contains samples
that's a major difference between midi and tracker music. Midi relies on the abilities of the soundcard, or at the very least on the midi font provided by the player. mod is far more self-contained.
>>
>>3186378
>mod is far more self-contained
and as a result, far more flexible. Want a sound that's not in the midi bank? An instrument not invented yet? Piece of cake for a tracker. Mad hacking and workarounds for midi, if you can do it at all.
>>
To be an autist about this I assume when you say MIDI you mean music made using General MIDI sound sources like the Roland Sound Canvases?

Alternatively I guess the idea of your post might be that you prefer music that's more game-y in style, rather than aiming for an orchestrated film-y type soundtrack (which funilly enough might be partly/entirely MIDI sequenced using orchestral instrument samples in Kontakt or similar)

MIDI itself doesn't really describe sounds, it's all about events (note-on, note-off, change program to 60, set filter to 29). MIDI has Program and Bank changes which swap sounds, but what these do entirely depends on the device your sending it to. A certain program change might mean "Harp" to an Roland SC-55 but "Zen Master" on a DSI Prophet '08 or Ski Jam on a Korg Wavestation.
>>
>hurr midi is better
>not knowing tracker modules or how midi works

Lmao
>>
>>3186453
usually midi in the context of gaming music is used as a shorthand for music that's realtime generated, as opposed to music played back from a wave stream or cdda. genre, orchestra or anything, is usually secondary, because even the 16-bit era sound chips had plenty of orchestral soundtracks in their rpgs. While very sloppy, this understanding of midi does include chip tunes, mod and other similar ways of storing and reproducing music
>>
For a while I've assumed that buying an expensive sound module (ex. Roland Sound Canvas or Yamaha MU line) or enhanced sound card (Creative's AWE) back in the early-/mid-1990s paid off over years of use listening to better game music (technically, and maybe in terms of arrangement) vs. what you got from a simpler PCM/FM chip. And being able to sequence music for playback via sound modules/soundfonts (like Wingroove) was a great bonus for some. MIDI data's small enough in size that you could have bought just one module, collected a ton of individual sequenced tracks, and then have an efficient way to play back music that sounded decent while having to worry less about storage.

How many browsing this thread got an MT-32/SC-55/MU10/AWE expecting to use it for years given the high price point? I can't imagine music producers/technicians used these sound modules beyond a few years given the pace of audio tech improvements/diversity. Many Western and Japanese PC games made use of it earlier on before desktop PCs came with better CD drives for streaming music/data. Ultimately you could have gotten more creative when tracking/programming mods (as opposed to using the sound modules as customization romplers, let alone hybrids like the MT-32), but these days both methods for digital music have found an equilibrium thanks to VSTs.
>>
>>3185929
Why is CD audio associated with orchestra or vice versa?
>>
>>3186517

gee are you guys autistic retards?
what the op obviously meant was that he preferred synth-like music like daggerfall compared to CD quality music like morrowind.
>>
It's not so much that it's midi in that video game composers try too hard with their scores these days. Hell, the Super Mario Bros theme was made specifically so sound effects could mesh well with it and hide the fact that they stopped the music during he frames they played.
>>
>>3186493
I got an SC-88ST Pro for Japanese Windows games and for listening to MIDI files that Japanese DTM hobbyists put on their webpages, back before mp3 was a thing.
I forget what year it was exactly but 98 or 99 probably. Didn't end up using it for all that many games but it was neato for the few I did get that could take advantage of it.
>>
>>3185929
how can you even eat that many eggs.
>>
Lordy, I sure don't miss MIDIs. Once mp3s came out I kicked MIDI to the curb and never looked back.
>>
File: caleb.png (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
caleb.png
144 KB, 640x480
Blood midi > Blood CD soundtrack

https://youtu.be/L928CmhAPQY
>>
>>3187052
Two summers ago when I worked at a mill, I drank 5 gallons of milk and 3 and a half dozen eggs every week. Including other food, I consumed over 4500 calories every day.
Very possible and very easy to do.
>>
>>3185929
I actually did a bunch of song "covered by Indigo Gos" based on NES games. Might upload if there's enough interest.
>>
>>3185929
>Midi>CD orchestra shit
Why not both?
Some soundfonts out there are fucking classy shit
>>
>>3186570
That comparison isn't right to make because Daggerfall and Morrowind had different composers.
>>
File: adlib_logo.jpg (16 KB, 402x311) Image search: [Google]
adlib_logo.jpg
16 KB, 402x311
I've got a soft spot for MIDIs. Love hearing them in both DOS/PC games and on outdated websites.
>>
File: Roland VA.png (173 KB, 496x610) Image search: [Google]
Roland VA.png
173 KB, 496x610
Roland finally released a proper vsti for their Sound Canvas line which supports up to the SC-8820 module.

Some people have been experimenting with it with Dosbox for the last few months:
http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=46111&sid=07e5935920e2d0bdcda815265804f064
>>
>>3185959
>French
>>>/pol/
>>
>>3185929
I don't think MIDI or orchestrated is a question to really be asked.

But what's really boring and uninteresting to me are those soundtracks that are composed from the get-go to just be boring orchestra shit.
An orchestrated version of a great MIDI composition is still great.
>>
File: IsThisGreatestAllySerious.png (93 KB, 203x345) Image search: [Google]
IsThisGreatestAllySerious.png
93 KB, 203x345
Seriously, who the fuck is talking shit on deviled eggs? Deviled eggs are the fucking best.

But, OP, CD shit with low resolution graphics (think Sega CD and the like) is optimal. It's just... it's the bees knees.
>>
Whenever I think of midi I think of that video game midi website
Shit was so cash
>>
The orchestra shit in modern games is forgettable as fuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axKDCZd4Mfc
>>
>>3192878
>posting that echoing bullshit
>>
>>3185929
>walk into kitchen where deviled eggs are
>"damn who farted!"
>no one farted, it's the deviled eggs
>people willingly eat this shit
>>
Where can I download complete soundtracks?
>>
>>3193109
internet
>>
>>3193126
Every midi pack I find is incomplete. Are there any FTPs not searchable by google?
>>
>>3193142
yes
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.