[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do so many people praise Sonic CD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: mago.jpg (39 KB, 490x320) Image search: [Google]
mago.jpg
39 KB, 490x320
I thought the level design was awful.

The way the levels were designed, you rarely got the chance to have sonic pick up speed and do acrobatics. The pace of the whole game was similar to that of marble zone in sonic 1.

Too many springs and not enough open spaces to enjoy acrobatics or jumping on a succession of enemies.

The music sucked: the whole soundtrack felt like an attempt to sound "cool" to emerging teenage boys of the 90s.
>>
>>3185860
>you rarely got the chance to have sonic pick up speed and do acrobatics
Not the point of Sonic CD for better or worse.

>the whole soundtrack felt like an attempt to sound "cool" to emerging teenage boys of the 90s.
Both of 'em?
>>
Hipsters
>>
>I thought the level design was awful

such an original opinion
>>
I thought that was a pretty popular opinion but I guess hipsters always manage to switch things around as soon as something becomes popular.
>>
>>3185940

maybe you could eat your own shit faggot
>>
>>3185860
What is wrong with Marble Zone? It is one of my favourites in the whole Sonic saga, I actually enjoy more levels with a more paused pace and not the "le point of soneec is to go fast" meme.

Actually except for maybe Green Hill, in the original Sonic most levels are meant to be played more like a normal platformer, if I try to rush through it I get shitty scores if I can even finish the levels, its like saying Mario is a speedster cause he can sprint, hell, I actually sprint way more often in Mario games.
>>
>>3185860
>The way the levels were designed, you rarely got the chance to have sonic pick up speed and do acrobatics.
>speed
>sonic gotta go fast meme

Sonic was never about going fast - I mean, it kinda is now since Unleashed and Generations, but retro Sonic is about acceleration and managing your momentum, not speed.

"Speed" thing was pretty much just marketing slogan not very different from "blast processing" - Sonic is fast because Genesis had a faster CPU than SNES. Sonic had edgy attitude because Nintendo tried to play itself as "family friendly". Sonic is blue because Mario is red. Et cetera. It doesn't have much to do with actual gameplay of the games.
>>
>>3186019

regardless...

Sonic CD was less fun than sonic 1,2&3
>>
>>3185860
>you rarely got the chance to have sonic pick up speed and do acrobatics

So basically, they made a competent platformer, like Super Mario World?
>>
>>3186029

smw was fun
sonic cd was not fun
>>
>>3186019
>retro Sonic is about acceleration and managing your momentum, not speed
And avoid obstacles that are thrown right in front of you after fast sections, making it impossible to dodge unless you've memorized the levels.
>>
>>3186393
balding fatty pls, nugamers are not allowed here
>>
>>3185860
>Why do so many people praise Sonic CD
The music and only the music, which isn't even that great. Any other reasons anyone gives you are either A) aspects that they "appreciate" after retroactively inserting it into their memory, or B) parroting some youtuber or e-celeb (see "A").
>>
>>3186393
You have enough time to react
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.