[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why isn't it more well loved?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: Live A Live title screen.png (15 KB, 496x448) Image search: [Google]
Live A Live title screen.png
15 KB, 496x448
Why isn't it more well loved?
>>
>>3185086
It's unfortunately one of those games that is doomed to be forever obscure.
>>
it ain't even that good,
>>
It is quite loved, although in a very niche way.
Probably it's bigger problem is the lack of a U/E release, even if now we have the extremely well done hack from Aeon. Another thing is that it's stories are short and won't shine that bright on their own.

But it is very well loved within it's niche of less known famicom releases.
>>
>>3185114
>Another thing is that it's stories are short and won't shine that bright on their own.

This is what I remember putting me off from it.
Not all of those stories were created equal, I got stuck on one of them and just didn't bother to continue.
But I remember it being quite charming up until then.
>>
I made it through the caveman and kung fu master stories. Would have loved to have played this game when I was 12, except I'm not 12 any more.
>>
File: cube.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
cube.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>3185086
Its a pretty experimental game which might not be for everyone, I can see people finding the western and sci fi chapters dull and boring. I myself love it for the bizzare story, interesting but flawed battle system, and varied soundtrack. Here I hear the game mentioned every so often, it definitely has its fans.
>>
Non-mainstream localized releases from Square(soft) don't get a lot of attention. Hell, even the SaGa games are pretty niche, both because people not deep into the scene don't connect the Final Fantasy Legend games with them and because there wasn't more SaGa Frontier, which came at the biggest window for relative wide attention and is still more of an obscure nostalgic pick than one of the big series.

You might as well as ask why Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure of the Rudras, Hanjuku Hero or Front Mission aren't more well-loved.
>>
>>3185114
>But it is very well loved within it's niche of less known famicom releases.
>famicom

Super Famicom you bitch bitch
>>
>>3185086
Simple. It's too Japanese. I know y'all don't wanna hear it, but there's a reason games and box art were whitewashed outside of Nipland.
>>
Why the music is so good?
https://youtu.be/_W71i-8L5II
https://youtu.be/Yzh7s7phkvk
https://youtu.be/sHMLixBRpNI
>>
>>3185086
battle system is unique but kinda unbalanced

main reason is japan only release. shame, its a good game with fantastic music.
>>
>>3187445
But... even the fan localization is too Jap. I avoid games where characters are named Akira, Ryu*, Goemon, etc. like the plague.
>>
>>3187460
what's the star for
>>
>>3187463
Excluding Street Fighter.
>>
>>3185086
Because this is your first summer here and it's not even started. The last two summers we've had non stop threads about it.
>>
>>3187463
Ryuji, Ryudo, Ryuu, Ryutarou, etc.
>>3187471
Yes, excluding Street Fighter.
>>
>>3187460
I know you're baiting, but I really hope people like this don't exist. Its like their world will come crashing down if they acknowledge cultures besides their own exist.
>>
>>3187476
I'm not baiting. I tried learning Japanese at one point so I could play untranslated games and some that I played in English in Japanese. After years of anime, years of ninja/samurai other Japanese nationalistic bullshit, I'm sick of all things Japanese. It is what it is.
>>
>>3187472
Oh, no, not this summer bullshit. All talking about summer does is show your lack of ability (your youth) to contribute anything worthwhile to this board. Please do not respond to this post, I'm getting outta this thread right now, before I unintentionally derail it.
>>
File: Live_Lei.png (121 KB, 287x434) Image search: [Google]
Live_Lei.png
121 KB, 287x434
Why was she so overpowered?
>average-slightly above average health
>deals a metric fuck ton of damage with her final attack that covers most of the field
>pretty fast
>>
>>3187508
because all the MCs were pretty powerful by the end.

The better question is who the fuck thought Sundown's final ability was okay.

>999 damage easily
>>
>>3187596
Not true, akira and masaro are pretty shit. Also hurrican shot doesn't always do 999 damage, I believe it depends on the range of the attack but I'm probably wrong.
>>
>>3187740
Akira/Masaru are on the weaker side but they're still pretty alright. Everyone's usable.
>>
I love this game, but a bunch of the chapters end up very tedious to play and I think it's almost entirely the ones that are very "random" combat heavy that account for this - the combat system honestly isn't that well developed enough for the amount you'll be doing throughout the game.

Really awesome music though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrjhsGqnBY
>>
>>3187792
...but the only chapter with random combat is Knight/finale, and you can only play that after beating all the other chapters.
>>
>>3187792
music is great.

I think there was some music event in japan months back with music from it but I can't find the video

>>3187823
I think he means the random flow of combat. Lots of moves seem to do inconsistent damage and I can understand why people don't like that.
>>
>>3187823
>>3187830
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the word random (and then I tried to use quotes to make it clear that I wasn't using the word on a straight basis which was a dumb move on my part)

What I actually mean is that the chapters where you have to chew through a shit ton of repetitive mook battles are probably the most tedious to play - like Mecha, Medieval and Ninja if you were going for the "All Kills" secret.
>>
>>3185113
This to be honest
but i'd love to see a remake
>>
>>3185086
Idk, it's a shame
I ended up liking this game and Treasure Of The Rudras more than a supposed classic like FFVI
>>
>>3185113
It really isn't, though the concept of seven protagonists in seven different eras was pretty interesting, though it suffers from really bad execution.

A shame because it had some good ideas in terms of narrative structure and genre pastiche, too bad it ended being more of a collection of short stories instead of an actual videogame, the battle system was also brilliant but executed poorly. If they devoted more time, thought and resources on it it could have been really good, but as it is it's a pretty lacking game with some good amount of charm.
>>3188353
>I ended up liking this game and Treasure Of The Rudras more than a supposed classic like FFVI
"Classics" videogames are usually just games widely accessible by all kinds of audiences, it's only normal that you'd eventually end up liking less successful titles.
Rudra no Hihou also shared the similar structure in LaL of separated MCs that come together for the game's finale, though even with all its balance problems and rather lackluster finale it was a much better game than LaL imo, it simply was more tightly knit in terms of gameplay, narrative and general design, the graphics are pretty mindblowing too and it's probably my favorite work by Ryuji Sasai, Strange Encounter, The Spirit Chaser and Evil Eyes are really great compositions.
>>
>>3188420
I suppose, I still liked FFVI, it just wasn't the best JRPG or even the best FF game I played
I liked LaLs battle system the most out of these games, and that's pretty important to me. It's a shame square never used it again
the storyline and characters were simple, but I don't consider those things inherently as negatives, and I enjoyed the variety of the settings and the twist in oersted's chapter
The OST is also great

it's short, but I found it (and most other SNES and PSX JRPGs) refreshing after playing some modern JRPGs that loved to waste my time with their open worlds and fetchquests
I still say it's a great game that deserves more recognition along with TOTR and Lufia 2
>>
>>3188461
>It's a shame square never used it again
Well, Treasure Hunter G has a vaguely similar battle system, but it's not very good.

You might want to check it out.
>>
>>3187476
I kind of agree. Names are tough in regards to localization, but I prefer my localized games LOCALIZED. Not a "eat your hamburgers apollo" hack job in the other direction, but I've played numerous fan translations where the translator was either unskilled or more in love with Japanese culture than providing a good translation and localization. There's no real excuse for translating a Jap Megaman game and calling him Rockman.

Unfortunately, bad experiences with shit translations and fansubs make me wary.
>>
File: 1432199013785.gif (2 MB, 350x266) Image search: [Google]
1432199013785.gif
2 MB, 350x266
>>3188532
>>3188532
>but I've played numerous fan translations where the translator was either unskilled or more in love with Japanese culture than providing a good translation

>There's no real excuse for translating a Jap Megaman game and calling him Rockman.

So, what do you want, a translation or a localization?

Because if you complain about people giving characters their actual names than you're totally okay with the hack job's you're complaining about, or do you want to imply that a bad translation standard is okay if it has never been corrected for more than 20 years?

Are you one of those people who gets hot and bothered when other people refer to Balrog as Bison or call Terra Tina?
>>
>>3185113
It's not a hidden masterpiece, like, at all, but it's pretty charming. And has its moments here and there. I really like it despite having a lot of fatal flaws, being rather short and not entirely fleshed out was one of the most devastating problems, IMO.

That said I really liked the major plot twist (everyone who played knows what I am talking about), had it been developed just a little bit more, it'd have been pretty damn good. The very same game with a bit more balance and development would have been really good.

Still, I have a soft spot for it. There's a certain something on it that makes me forgive the flaws, but I am not entirely sure what it is.
>>
>>3188571
Maybe you want to read a little more carefully before shooting from the hip, buddy.

All anon wants is his games localized, he helpfully capitalized that, and said that there's no reason to take an untranslated Rockman game and keep his name as Rockman when we know him best as Megaman.
>>
>>3188672
>and said that there's no reason to take an untranslated Rockman game and keep his name as Rockman when we know him best as Megaman.
There is a very good reason.

I don't see people ranting about FFIV and FFVI not being referred to as FFII and FFIII in the US, after all they were best known as FFII and FFIII there because they were localized as such.

So why should he bitch and moan about someone who actually does his job and translate the game as it should be translated?

Don't see people bitching about Peach being called Peach now instead of Toadstool either.
>>
>>3187490
Seems like a pretty good answer to OPs question. If you were here the last two summers you'd know it's true the game got plenty of love then.
I agree that younglings who have nothing to contribute should leave so thanks for doing that.
>>
>>3188672
Yeah but Their are no English names for the characters in Live A Live so it makes sense to use
the only names they were given that can't be helped.
I do understand what you guys are talking about but, in the case of a game that is never localized and sold outside of it's country of origin
it's the only reference point the translators have.
>>
LaL is great. I really liked how each chapter has its own gameplay, how there was a bunch of useless shit like being able to play the captain square arcade game in cube's chapter, how there were a lot of different ways to complete each chapter (for example, losing the final duel in sunset's chapter puts mad dog in the finale instead of sunset) and so on. The battle system may not be great, but it's functional and never really gets in the way, so I'm fine with it.

Really liked the finale. Game is a solid 8/10 for me.
>>
>>3191772

Also, adding on to this, I really liked the caveman chapter in particular. I don't think I could play a whole game like that, but the fact that square made a compelling rpg story with 0 dialogue is great. They sure took risks back then.
>>
>>3188532
>There's no real excuse for translating a Jap Megaman game and calling him Rockman.
His name is Rockman and everybody else's names play with that (Roll, Beat, Tango) in English too, even Bass and Treble play with that. I understand why you'd expect him to be called Megaman, because that (bad) translation became his popular name for you, but there are plenty good excuses to translate it as Rockman. Namely that that's his fucking name.
>>
>>3191772
>(for example, losing the final duel in sunset's chapter puts mad dog in the finale instead of sunset)
Pretty sure your wrong. I remember purposely losing in the final duel hoping for a cutscene but instead got a game over. That would've been cool if they did that.
>>
>>3191772
Mad Dog doesn't replace sunset if you lose.

However, you can cancel the duel so that Mad Dog doesn't die.
>>
>>3191829
>>3191836

Really? I could've sworn there was a way to get Mad Dog in the last chapter. Huh. Yeah, I guess it was just the canceling of the duel.
>>
>>3191845
In the final duel you can either kill or spare him, if you kill him I believe he honors you as the better gun and if you spare him he says he will hunt you down and capture you eventally. Either way there is no way to make him appear beyond sunset's chapter.
>>
File: pee-wee-herman.jpg (169 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
pee-wee-herman.jpg
169 KB, 1000x750
Is it just me, or does the logo look a bit like Goatse?
>>
>>3191857

Well now I look like a dumbass in front of everyone! Thanks anon, it's been a while since I played through this.
>>
>>3191868
Yeah no problem, we all have moments.
>>
File: 1418955926267.gif (1 MB, 300x210) Image search: [Google]
1418955926267.gif
1 MB, 300x210
>>3191867

God damnit anon...
>>
This game misuses budget so much. They hired each own artist for every main character. That's crazy! They should have just stuck with one and used those money to work on the detail quality instead. I'd love to see a Chrono Trigger or Bahamut Lagoon style of spritework for this game.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.