[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Retro Games that most surprised you and excited you for the future?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (73 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
73 KB, 1280x720
Retro Games that most surprised you and excited you for the future? Either innovative or just showed a totally new perspective on a genre that you haven't seen yet.
>>
>>3185061
Pitfighter. Photographic sprites made me think video games could be totally real.
>>
In 1994 I got a 3do, I played total eclipse and road rash. People were playing super metroid and final fantasy VI and I was playing 3d games. And sure, I also played final fantasy, super metroid I played much later (fantastic). But yeah, 3d games with cd quality soundtracks. Sure, the 3do sucked balls on hindsight, but if it was 1994 and you saw one your inner kid would wet their pants.
>>
File: Better times.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Better times.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1080
Full Throttle. It was like playing trough an actual 2D animated cartoon!
Then, shortly after, the 3D craze happened with all its blocky brown and bloom and both 2D gaming and the animation world suffered.
I liked it better when things were more varied and of higher standard on the 2D front.
>>
>>3185101
>brown and bloom
Spotted the underage. You almost snuck by.
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 400x300
Gran turismo 2 astonished me with the amount of content it had back when it was new. It was certainly quite the step up from the original.
>>
File: Bank_(GTA1).jpg (734 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Bank_(GTA1).jpg
734 KB, 1024x768
The muh freedom
>>
Seeing Vitua Fighter for the first time on a store kiosk blew me away. I thought they looked just like real people kek
>>
>>3185768
>amount of content
I really wished this meme would die. So many games fucked up because the developers crammed "more content" into them
>>
File: kep2.jpg (366 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
kep2.jpg
366 KB, 1920x1440
>>3185756
Sorry I was born in 84 and not 74 like all them cool kids, but I happen to find Quake era shooters ugly and uninspired looking, though I had fun with them back in the day.
Unreal though, that's a different story. That game is still beautiful to this day. Clive Barker's Undying as well.
>>
>>3185095

The FMV games on Sega CD and other consoles in the early 90s blew my mind.. it was amazing stuff back then. It dated very quickly but yeah I'll admit 3DO looked badass back in 1994.
>>
>>3186217
>lying about age
Your failure to realize the significance of my highlighting your "brown and bloom" line confirms this.
>>
>>3186898
84, 04, what's the big difference?
>>
File: blueskybanner3.gif (7 KB, 120x168) Image search: [Google]
blueskybanner3.gif
7 KB, 120x168
>>3186898
Thanks for assuming I'm younger than I am.
If I were a girl, I'd be flattered.
Tell me though, why do you connect brown and bloom with young age and modernity? If anything, western 3D games today are more colorful than they used to be in the late 90s to early 10s or so and with significantly toned down use of lens flare and glow for the sake of it.
>>
>>3187214
>why do you connect brown and bloom with young age and modernity?
Let me answer that with another question: what's the earliest game you can think of (read: not lookup) with "brown and bloom"?
>>
>>3186898
You keep parroting the same shit without explaining your point, maybe you should fuck off to /v/ and derail threads there. >>3185101 was probably acting like a cynical retard blaming the rise of 3d modeling power to the gritty realism that lead to some modern games and like the cynical retard he is, he made a wrong generalization that's easy for another retard to pick on.
Now go gloat each others age like insecure faggota somewhere else
>>
>>3187446
Dude, you could have just looked it and and pretended you didn't. White knight samefagging just makes you look bad.
>>
File: interstate-76_intro_2.jpg (77 KB, 953x525) Image search: [Google]
interstate-76_intro_2.jpg
77 KB, 953x525
>>3187383
Well, I could point at something a bit earlier such as The Terminator: Future Shock (though it was appropriate in context, such an overall underrated game), but obviously it was Quake and the games it inspired. Fun, made me get my first graphics accelerator (An 8mb 3dFX Voodoo2 iirc), but ugly as hell and often uninspired. I gave up on many games such as Kingpin because I just couldn't stomach another brown and boring crate level.
At the time, I thought Duke Nukem 3D looked better despite being 2.5D, though both paled in comparison to the 2D goodness you were getting with the likes of Full Throttle, The Dig, Curse of Monkey Island and such, and beautiful looking arcade fighters such as Marvel Super Heroes and Street Fighter III.
One 3D game of the era I remember thinking was pretty cool because it had a different sense of art direction and setting was interstate 76.
Made me go in blind on Killer 7 because its aesthetic reminded me of it.

I still don't know what dots you are connecting, but if the whole "bloom" term is throwing you off, maybe I should have said "lens flare" instead, because it became hilarious how every 3D game seemed to have to include it.
>>
>>3187446
You seem to have a stick up your ass about something. Spill it, it might feel cathartic getting it out of your anus instead of derailing threads with inane name calling.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.