[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else prefer Gran Turismo 1 over 2, even though GT2 is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: serveimage.jpg (50 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
50 KB, 640x640
Anyone else prefer Gran Turismo 1 over 2, even though GT2 is way more complete?

>more stable framerate, resulting in a smoother experience
>much better music (PAL, US, JP version, you name it)
>way less grindy, better flow advancing through the game
>prizes felt more sensible and balanced, given that events were presented in a mini-GP format, instead of gifting you a mega-expensive car for winning just one race
>even though it lacks many non-japanese cars, most western cars in GT2 were suboptimal given how ridiculously expensive they were compared to japanese cars
>it's me, or does GT1 feature better physics? car feels a lot better to drive and don't feel on the limit like in GT2 (it might be that GT2 overuses that brake sound). I don't know what it is, but I enjoy racing more than in GT2
>looks less ugly, GT2 went overboard with blurry textures and the new circuits lacked aesthetical taste (looking at you, tahiti road)
>3 licences vs 5(+1), making less of a bore to start a new save
>IA doesn't act as if you weren't there. God, GT2 have the worst IA of all time, cars crash into you all the time.
>you can skip replays and load times are better
>Hi-Fi mode

IMO GT1 is the better videogame, while GT2 is a better experience for car lovers. Do you agree?
>>
I prefer gt4
>>
>>3183678
Now I feel kinda bad I went straight into GT2 because everyone talked about 2 and it seemed to be the kind of sequel that one ups the original in every way.

Fuck.
>>
All Gran Turismo games are shit. Too "realistic" to be fun. I'm sorry but I don't want to have to actually be a professional race driver to be able to play this anal shit.

>one wheel touches some grass for < 1sec
>you may as well give up because you've lost the race even if you were a third into lap 1

Also: for all its "realism" check out that damage! Make your mind up - is this a "realistic" game or not? Because I hit a wall at 80mph and the car was fine.
>>
>>3184005
Sounds like you just read about Gran Turismo and never actually played it. Let me give you a hint, there were two eras. The black and orange era, and the white era. It was Gran Turismo 4, the first game in the white era, that tried hard to look and play like a simulator by having too many menus and making cars turn like bricks for realism sake (but not even that was realistic.)

If anything, Gran Turismo and Gran Turismo 3 deserve praise for being basic and rooted. These two games were all about instant fun.

If you think Gran Turismo is too scary, that's why there is an Arcade mode where you don't go through any intricate menu options. Pick a difficulty (like easy), a car class, a car based on 3 simple bar stats, grip or drift bias, a track, and go play. Come in first place for all tracks in each pool ("chapter") and you get a prize car.

Driving wise it's not that hard. Just remember to actually brake before corners unlike brain dead arcade racing games. Don't use the handbrake, especially if you think it throws you into an on rail kart racer powerslide. Lastly, try to drive on the road because yes, driving on the grass punishes you.
>>
>>3184041
>Sounds like you just read about Gran Turismo and never actually played it.
I played it. The last time I played such an annoying, unforgiving racing game was one of the few times I played an F1 game. It was a long time ago but I remember hating it.

Give me Ridge Racer or F Zero or something any day.
>>
>>3184047
I know in my early days I found GT to be near impossible unless I cheated by upgrading myself too much for the competition. Played a few of the more arcadey (good) games recently and I'm having a blast. You just may need to revisit it later. I know I didn't really like Rage Racer back then either but today it feels like it's better than Type 4 in some aspects.
>>
Yes, I like GT1 better. I couldn't exactly tell you why if I was asked, but the driving feels better.
>>
File: falled.jpg (16 KB, 321x201) Image search: [Google]
falled.jpg
16 KB, 321x201
>>3184005
You falled, man.

Probably from very high.
>>
>>3184047
lmao, its not realistic at all.
>>
>>3184041
Weird, I always felt that GT was easily the most accessible simulator in vidya (tied with Forza 2). I've played some really punishing simulators but GT wasn't one of them. It's actually a very comfy series
>>
>>3184072
Probably while I used quotes. It was an attempt at realism, that much is certain. I wouldn't know how close it comes exactly because I don't drive, but it's definitely not what you'd call an "arcade" racer.
>>
>>3184079
I enjoy both arcade and simulations because I dont suck at video games.
>>
>>3184082
Well, I do so stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
>>
>>3183678
No. GT2 is better in every way.
>>
I agree. GT1 just has a very magical atmosphere which is a combination of soundtrack, tracks, menu music and design... Whereas GT2 has OST way too out of the place, songs that dont mash up well, its just devoid of all those things.

I still think that GT1 offers the best sense of grip and traction out of all the games I played.
>>
>>3184217
gt2 wins it for the car info alone.
>>
>>3183678
I agree, GT1 plays so much better. Back in the day I 100%-ed the JP and US versions but GT2 I couldn't even come close to finishing one copy. What really killed it for me was that each cup was treated as a series of individual races and not a series. What's the point of tuning a particular car if each race has a different set of opponents? Not only is cheaper to just buy a more powerful car that meets the criteria, but since points aren't carried between races there's no strategy and no feeling of immersion. Especially with the god awful AI.
>>
>>3183678

I always thought it was nostalgia but the only one I ever played to death was 1. The others never hit home the way the first one did.
>>
GT1 has better load times and a less grindy sim mode.

Also I liked the menu music way better.

2 had a better car roster no doubt. It had my favorite GT1 car at the time (TS020).
>>
I played way more GT2, but when compared to GT1 it's definitely a question of quality versus quantity. You've got a lot more shit to do in general in GT2, but GT1's got a lot better soundtrack and race balance. It is a lot easier to simply outbuy the competition in GT2 than it is in GT1, and in GT1, it never really feels as though you need to do that, where in some of the more specialized categories of GT2 it really does feel like you just need to invest a ton of credits into a car you'll be using 3 times.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.