[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What fifth gen RPGs are worth playing nowadays? I was a huge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
What fifth gen RPGs are worth playing nowadays? I was a huge fan of SNES RPGs but lost most of my interest by the time FF8 came out. I've heard good things about FF9, is it one of the most underrated? Anything else to go back and play?
>>
>>3181730
Every game is worth playing, if not for their game design examples.

Pro-tip: search for titles you never heard or played before. Save second and third playthroughs for later.
>>
File: WildArms.jpg (236 KB, 1453x857) Image search: [Google]
WildArms.jpg
236 KB, 1453x857
Shhhhhh. Just whistle along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajMRQnhQ9zU
>>
>>3181749
Soundtrack was strong with that game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lyXiD-OYXU

One of the first to put CD audio capabilities to work
>>
File: 1440357568052.jpg (923 KB, 1500x970) Image search: [Google]
1440357568052.jpg
923 KB, 1500x970
>>3181730
>I've heard good things about FF9, is it one of the most underrated?

It depends on who you ask.

Personally, I love it, and I recommend it to everyone. It has some flaws but it's worth a playthrough.
>>
>>3181749
Came here to post Wild Arms. Never played any of the sequels though. I'm not familiar with much of the Saturn's RPG library but the PS1 has a ton.

Alundra series
Suikoden II
Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Tactics
Vandal Hearts
Granstream Saga
Vagrant Story
Xenogears
>>
>>3181758
CD Audio capabilities? You mean like exactly what lots of TurbografxCD/PC Engine CD or SegaCD games did?
>>
>>3181730

love me some ff9, to me most of the core complaints are really weak. Really recommended.
>>
>>3181730
The only one I can think off the top of my head is Grandia.
I hear mixed views on it, but it goes down as one of best JRPGs of all time in my books, it even holds up today.

Trigger warning: If you don't like bad dubbing/voice acting, play the japanese version and patch it or something. The english VAs are some of the worst I've ever heard.

I always thought FF9 was overrated, but it seems everyone I meet praises it without addressing any of its problems.
That being said, it's pretty good. Definitely worth playing.
>>
File: 1453647908661.png (1 MB, 1020x991) Image search: [Google]
1453647908661.png
1 MB, 1020x991
i fucking love this game. flaws and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hskl2dTHYdk
>>
File: 1460523277694.png (11 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
1460523277694.png
11 KB, 120x120
>>3181730
Best FF in the series
>>
File: Dart 1.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
Dart 1.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
My personal favorite is Legend of Dragoon its my all time favorite game really although I can also suggest Legend of Legaia
>>
Play FF9. Don't listen to the contrarian retards on this board that scream about it being shit, because they're the same fucking retards that turn right around and pretend that FF2 is a good game.
>>
>>3182520
I just beat Grandia for the first time a few weeks ago. The voice acting and the slow as fuck first two hours almost made me quit, but I'm glad I didn't. The combat system was great and it was fun finding out what spells everyone learned. The story was mostly coherent and I liked how Justin changed gears on the second disc.

Sadly, it was super easy, except for the optional dungeon I found, which gave the party better equipment than the last dungeon and made the game even easier.

Still, it's worth playing if you've got 60 hours to kill.
>>
This is one of my top ten favorite games of all time. Anybody know of any other psx games like it where the world actually feels as alive as this?
>>
>>3184140
Grandia.
>>
>>3184262
Ill gibe it a shot. Thanks
>>
>>3181730
>underrated
The opposite. It's utterly bland, even more so when compared to squares other games on the system. Other ones to avoid are legend of dragoon and suikoden 2. Avoid those and you should be right, lots and lots of good games to choose from.
>>
FF9 I find to be the best ps1 final fantasy but my personal favorite. As for it being over shadowed yes but it is by no means a rare gem. It was an anniversary title so it pays homage to all FF's before it especially the snes ones I think you'll like it.
>>
>>3184283
>but my favorite
I meant to say my favorite is 7
>>
>>3184275

Disagreed on all counts . let OP find his own opinion
>>
>>3184286
What he said
>>
File: 1358720808832.jpg (8 KB, 272x252) Image search: [Google]
1358720808832.jpg
8 KB, 272x252
>>3184275
>Avoid
>Suikoden 2

Even after browsing /b/ for years this is probably the dumbest thing I have ever read. This guy clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

Not gonna say FF 9 and Legend of Dragoon are nearly as awesome, but they still aren't bad games. There are much worse.
>>
File: 1357418515278.jpg (76 KB, 499x283) Image search: [Google]
1357418515278.jpg
76 KB, 499x283
>>3182265
can't agree on Vagrant Story, but the rest is true.

but why only Suikoden 2? the first one was brilliant, too!

>>3182654
>>3184262
also great

let me ad Breath of Fire (my favourite was probably the third one) and Chrono Trigger to the list. Also Bahamut Lagoon is relatively unknown but I find it pretty good. Also Terranigma rocks.
>>
>>3184339
Never played any of the other Suikoden games, actually. Suikoden II got the most praise so I started with that one and then never got around to the others.
>>
>>3184342
You should really play the first one. I used to play that one a lot when I was a kid.. and that was around the time I didn't even understand english and neither did my dad, but we both really enjoyed it, anyway. After playing it again afer several years and finally understandting everything it just became so much better.

Can't say much about the others though - I only played the third one for a few hours before I got sick of the Emulation on my old PC.

There's also Suikoden Tierkreis for the DS, which is a pretty good RPG, but a pretty bad Suikoden game compared to the others.
>>
>>3184351
Sounds good. I've been in the mood for a good JRPG to play on my Vita.
>>
Chrono cross too.
>>
>>3184262
Meme game with cancerous voice acting.
>>
>>3184795
Ugh.
>>
>>3181730
9 is square's desperate attempt to win back the fans that they alienated with 8. They tried way too hard though and it's quite weak overall.
>>
>>3181730
There are way too many good RPGs to make a list, besides, I don't know what kind of game you like and you probably don't know jap either.

If you want to know about FFIX, it's a good game for what it tries to do, as long as you like linear RPGs and the classic FF style you can't really go wrong with it.

While there are a few bothersome problems with it, namely battle speed and loading times it's a pretty good title to waste some hours on, nothing exceptional even for its time outside of graphics, but again, as long as you like that kind of game you'll probably enjoy it, there's also quite a lot of content in terms of sidequests and minigames.

Don't listen to those morons like>>3185515, FFIX was a return to the roots of the first trilogy in terms of aesthetics, it also has a lot of cameos and references to the NES/SNES trilogy, so if you've already played those you might have fun finding all of those.
>>
File: 1440266862955.jpg (255 KB, 500x774) Image search: [Google]
1440266862955.jpg
255 KB, 500x774
I didn't hate Chocobo Hot & Cold
>>
>>3187474

me neither
>>
ff9 was the last good rpg, everytihng after it is trash
>>
>>3182520
Can you just turn the voice acting off? I wish more games offered that.
>>
>>3181730
I just started playing FF7 for the first time, really enjoying it, even if it is a bit heavy on cut scenes. FF9 is great as well, I played a bit back in the day before I lost my save and gave up. Gonna try again soon. FF8 is... eh. Not my cup of tea. Tried it 5 years ago or so, couldn't stand it. Made it to the middle of the second disc before I had to quit.

I think the great thing that is easily taken for granted is that FF7, 8 and 9 are all such different games from each other. Square totally could have phoned those fuckers in after the success of FF7, but they didn't. Much appreciated.

Chrono Cross is good. People love the hell out of Valkyrie Profile. I can't remember if Dreamcast is 5th or 6th gen, but Skies of Arcadia is one of my all-time favorites.
>>
>>3181730
I like Suikoden I and II. FFIX is a love or not love kinda game. I thought it was aight and don't personally think its great, but you might really enjoy it so give it a go.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.