[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suikoden
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: Suikoden_packaging01[1].jpg (59 KB, 413x420) Image search: [Google]
Suikoden_packaging01[1].jpg
59 KB, 413x420
Is it actually good or just another tropefest?
>>
>just another tropefest
It's decent, but if you go into any type of old media thinking like this you're just asking to be disappointed.
>>
it's good but S2 surpassed it in every way IMO
worth a playthrough
>>
>>3181473
>but S2 surpassed it in every way
Translation quality.
>>
>>3181456
The first game was okay. Clunky menu design and questionable writing (I'll blame the translation for that one) in some places but still quite a good game. I've heard that 2 is much better but I haven't gotten around to finishing it. I think I just started 2 too soon after 1, I think, since they're quite similar in gameplay.

Collecting all the characters is fun.
>>
Just make sure to play this one before the second one. Its a great game, the 2nd is just better. But youll appreciate the story and characters of both alot more by playing them in order
>>
>>3181456
>Is this game that is so old that it helped define tropes just another tropefest?

It's like people don't understand that ideas come from somewhere...
>>
File: 1376699842216780101.jpg (95 KB, 800x461) Image search: [Google]
1376699842216780101.jpg
95 KB, 800x461
>>3181552
I had the same problem. 2 is one of the most beautiful 2D games ever made and both the presentation and gameplay are amped up from the more traditional look of the first one, but these are defenately games that you should take a few months break in between.
>>
>>3181456
It's the tropiest tropefest ever. The story and writing are pure garbage that wouldn't have been acceptable even in the 16bit era, the music is awful, the combat is mediocre, the level/dungeon design is terrible. The sequel ads all that + lots of bugs and translation errors (like entire strings of text left as garbled random letters). There are a million other jrpgs worth playing on ps1 before you play them.
>>
>>3181474
>>3181473

Personally I prefer Suikoden I to II. They're both some of my favorite RPGS of all time, but damn the first time you meet Viktor and Flik, Tai Ho.. I don't know. Suikoden I just has a certain charm to it that I love, but 1,2, and 3 are all worth playing in my opinion. Don't bother with IV unless you love the series, and V is mediocre by todays standards but I liked it when it came out.

>my personal opinions
>>
>>3183856

2 really blew its load early with the Luca fight.

There was no really good reason for Jowy to keep the war going because he knew it was based on a lie. He just kept going blah blah DESTINY and that was it. The good ending was also a complete asspull
>>
>>3181456
Dunno but that graphic looks like a pizza from a distance.
>>
>>3184018
Can confirm.
>>
I just started going through II and wanted to know without spoilers, what should I know to get the best ending?
>>
>>3181456
Dunno about the later ones but 1 and 2 are shit.
>>
File: dick york.jpg (267 KB, 716x900) Image search: [Google]
dick york.jpg
267 KB, 716x900
Y'know anon.

Sometimes anti-troping is a lot worse than troping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtQNULEudss
>>
>>3181456
Story feels very barebones.
Second one tries to give the plot and characters more depth. But is inconsistent at times.
I found the firsr one simpler and more fun. Also the tactics battles felt like they made a difference. In 2 it had way more tactical options, but it felt way less important. It was just a scene you had to play/sit through.
In s1 there is a gamble game halfway through, that you have to win in order to proceed. Injoy your frustration.
>>
>>3181983
>music is awful
This was the first RPG I ever played that didn't use hardware synths. I loved at least 2 songs in this game, one of which I sampled myself.
>tropiest tropefest
You're not saving the princess in this one, mate. To be quite honest, this is one of the first more mature RPGs that came out, and a lot of your tropes were probably not tropes when the game was released.
>>
>>3185525
>>>/v/
>>
Suikoden 2 did something that very, very few other JRPGs ever did.
It made the teenage protagonists actual human beings. At multiple points in the game, the primary protagonist and his sister come to the realization that they're just teenagers dragged into a war they should have nothing to do with, and contemplate running away from it all.
At one point in the game, you actually can run away and end the game that way.

Instead of foolhardy boisterous idiots, or generic SO QUIRKY characters who are little more than a single personality trait like you'll find in most JRPGs, the primary cast of Suikoden II is full of human beings that aren't compelled by some unnatural urge to go chasing after an ancient evil, but just normal people dragged into a really shitty situation trying to do what they can to make things better.

If that's a trope, I would fucking love for it to be catch on.

Also Suikoden I is an OK game, but not very exceptional desu.
The Suikoden franchise was originally on-boarded based on Suikoden II's story, with Suikoden I being somewhat barebones in comparison.

Really though, you owe it to yourself to play Suikoden II if you a well paced, different kind of JRPG story. The localization is clunky much like every other PSX JRPG, but the emotional points still pass through well enough.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.