[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Playing this (very good) classic on an emulator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6
File: metal.png (210 KB, 926x725) Image search: [Google]
metal.png
210 KB, 926x725
Playing this (very good) classic on an emulator
>>
And waiting a partner to coop...
>>
>>3180080
Metal Slug is quarter munching garbage that's only praised because SNK managed to shove it down everyone's throat and it looked pretty.
>>
>>3180080
>Kawaks
>those retardedly huge overly dark scanlines
you are doing it wrong
>>
Cool blog post, man
>>
>>3180091
>people are only allowed to like things I like
it's fine if you don't personally like it but don't try to force your personal opinion on everyone else. Despite it being a quarter muncher (as almost all arcade games are, by nature) it's a very well made and fun game.
>>
>>3180097
All he did was state his opinion. Don't tell other people how to talk.
>>
>>3180096
first day outside of /b/ I see?
>>
>>3180103
he stated his opinion as if they were fact and other people were not allowed to like something because he didn't.
>>
File: yeti cave.webm (3 MB, 304x224) Image search: [Google]
yeti cave.webm
3 MB, 304x224
>>3180091
>quarter munching garbage
P U. Does it smell like casual in here
>>
>>3180109
You reek of underage faggotry
>>
Metal Slug is a great series. Lots of fun to replay the games and try to use as few quarters as possible to clear.
>>
>>3180141
stop responding and just report, seems like we are being invaded by underage morons that know nothing about retro games anyhow, take a glance at that Superfrog thread for example.
>>
>>3180147
A few months back I was like obsessively trying to see how far I could get on one credit on Metal Slug 2, which is my personal favorite of the series. It was frustrating but I slowly kept getting further and further, I should go back to doing that. Also, I know most people don't agree with me and supposedly the easier and censored Metal Slug X is the superior version, I already know that's the popular opinion, I don't agree with it, and I won't change my mind just because a bunch of morons internet yell at me that I should so don't even try.
>>
Hey guys, let's stop these unnecessary fights.

The gamer community is united, that is why we are all here, ok? :)
>>
>>3180169
:)
>>
>>3180086
you can more easily find partner if you use Fightcade, the online gaming platform

also, you are using wayy too much scanlines amigo, picture looks dark

are you from argentina?

>>3180091
>quarter munching
are you this dumb
the first metal slug maybe - i still consider it pretty hard on a few short segments but i doubt you even made it to those.
>>
>>3180091
I found out about Metal Slug couple years ago and playing Metal Slug 3 back to back with classic installments of Contra, it holds up really well.

Plus, I don't exactly see why masterful pixel art that looks amazing to this day is not a good reason to remember a game fondly.
>>
>>3180801
>first metal slug
>quartermunching
wasn't it the easiest one in the series?
>>
File: Allenlaugh.gif (12 KB, 82x46) Image search: [Google]
Allenlaugh.gif
12 KB, 82x46
>>3180825
i said at some segments. the game as a whole is not cheap but after many playthroughs i still hate this guy a lot.
Metal Slug 2, 3 and X have a steady level of difficulty while Metal slug 1 ramps up a lot at certain spots.
>>
if any one can win this with a single coin he is indeed a gamer
>>
>>3180830
can't deny, allen is a bitch with his super-responsive behavior scheme
>>
File: mamearcade016.jpg (20 KB, 270x429) Image search: [Google]
mamearcade016.jpg
20 KB, 270x429
There's a bar in my area that has a MAME cabinet with free credits, and every Metal Slug installed...except 3. The games also have a lot of slow down on the cabinet. If it ran at proper speed it'd be awesome to drink and play with folks, but I can barely stomache it the way it is now.
>>
>>3180160
>censored Metal Slug X

huh?
What was censored in it?
>>
>>3180830
>>3180841
Allen is pretty easy.
Just stay in exactly 90 degree angles from him. Either fight him from the front, or from exactly the bottom, or from exactly above (if he is running in the low row).

That way he can't hit you with any of his moves. The trick is to concentrate on being at the right position, rather than with dealing damage - he'll go down eventually.
>>
>>3180862
Well, it is certainly easy to win the fight by being as safe as possible.
But how about beating as fast as possible? In what way should you approach it?
>>
>>3180160
> X is easier

They added a miniboss in mission 3 that will almost certainly take off a life or two. 2's difficulty was pretty unreasonable, like in the final mission where you have to cover a lot of ground only using the pistol.
>>
>>3180846
>emulation
Bleh
>>
>>3180091
>quarter munching garbage

They're pretty fun, actually.
>>
>>3180103
>Don't tell other people how to talk.
>>
>>3180862
yeah, i use the directly above/below tactic and it usually works pretty well enough. the thing with it is that if the position maintaining goes even a bit off, he quickly changes his pattern and that can really throw you off.
>>
>>3180080
That's great!
>>
>>3180884
>implying MAME emulation for Metal Slug isn't perfect
>>
>>3180880
>But how about beating as fast as possible? In what way should you approach it?

Knife him. Jump occasionally to dodge Allen's knife attack.

>>3180896
You can mix it up as well. Jump through him while he is in the middle of one of his attacks (if he is currently shooting then he won't instantly knife you), that way you can reposition yourself.

Really it's a challenging fight because it is so fast paced, but not difficult by any means.
>>
>>3180906
thanks for the advice. it is probably that pace difference between the fight and everything around it that makes it feel like a difficulty spike.
>>
Does Kawaks offer any substantial benefit to emulating NG/CPS games?
>>
>>3180880
I hit him with grenades

anyway lol@quarter-munching, it's not much harder than Contra NES until the last mission (still can't 1cc yet :( )
>>
>>3180932
It has a kickass interframe blending mode.
>>
>>3181086
i managed to 1cc the game on level 4 without losing any lives just today, so i thought i'd pitch in. as far as i've seen it's the same shit on level 8, but more enemies sponge bullets. i'm no pro, so feel free to correct me if anything can be done better

the part before the bridge is easy, proceed slowly and destroy the barrier just right after it shows up on the screen, you can do it with the tank too. you may want to remove the large bag of rocks at the right then, since there is a chance a pow with either shotgun or flame shot is in there.
in the next part where you can proceed on either top or bottom part of the bridge, take the lower one, since otherwise hell can and will break loose. again take it slow, kill the soldier sitting on the platform before he starts rapidly throwing bombs. don't go fully to the right, otherwise you'll trigger the appearance of more enemies early. soldiers will start coming out on the top bridge and throwing bombs at you, but as long as you position yourself between the bombs, you should be fine. be careful about the beam-dropping machine on the top - 2 shotgun shots can take it out before it actually does it's job, but if you can't destroy it this fast, try to sneak under it to the right.
when the screen locks in, soldiers will start coming out from 4 ways and a tank will appear on the left of the top platform. clear the right side first, when moving to the left, dispatch the bazooka soldier on the top platform first.
in the next section, there are some shitters running on the top, a tank and a lying bazooka man on the bottom and a standing bazooka man in the middle. take out the middle guy first, since he aims his shots and is a nuisance in general. if you can do it quickly enough, kill the lying soldier next. the rest of that part should be relatively easy.
continued
>>
>>3181917
proceed slowly to the next part of the bridge - as soon as you can see a stationary shield on the edge of screen and you don't have a shotgun, stop and shoot until you can destroy the tank behind him. if you have a shotgun, try throwing 2 bombs and finish 'em off with the shotgun. try to preserve the weapons that will get dropped for later. take out the bikers that will come on the top platform from the left first, then spam bombs or shotgun to take out the tank at the top right. carefully maneuver through the enemy fire and take out the tank on the bottom next, use bombs if you have to.
now morden will come out and destroy the bridge and shit. one of the pows on the top platform (not the hanging/pillared one) has heavy machine gun, you will want that.
after that, it's the ship section. taking out the planes is easy, jumping from the boarded gun gives you a shitton of invincibility frames, abuse that. after the first 3 planes, 5 parachuted soldiers will come, heavy machine gun is the most useful here. be careful about another 3 planes that come out here. when you destroy all that shit, a bomb-dropping plane will appear - the safest way to tackle it is to slowly proceed to the right while shooting continuously, but be careful not to go too far too fast and dodge the incoming missiles. bombs can be useful here too.
when you see the bridge appear, make sure not to free the pows too early, since they have bombs - they are extremely valuable here. try getting the slug on the right - throw one bomb at the bridge to take out the soldiers that might already be on it, then quickly jump to it.
after you destroy the first bridge, a bunch of planes will come and you'll have to dodge some shit. it's probably the easiest to just jump out of the slug and camp on the right, but jumping over them in the slug might work too if you got the guts. again, don't free the pows too early. take out all the shit on the top with the vulcan.
continued again
>>
>>3181919
last stretch of land after the boat isn't difficult, but be careful, since another bomb-dropping plane will appear. destroy it with the vulcan while slowly going to the right, when you hit the border of the screen, jump out to the left and finish it off with whatever. carefully return to the slug while dispatching any soldiers that will appear to the right, be careful about those bowling ball things they might drop and knife-wielding soldiers coming from the top.
for morden, i'd say start on the top platform inside the slug, use cannon after he finishes his attacks, otherwise spam bombs - you can jump out quickly when you need to avoid something then. dodging the flurry of the small homing shots is the easiest through the generous invincibiltiy frames when you jump out of the slug. heavy machine gun or just jumping from the top platform should work too. when he goes to bomb the terrain from above, either use the invincibility frames again or keep shooting up to take out the rockets. when you're on the right side of the screen, listen carefully and be careful about the machine gun shooting that goes from right to left, jump over that shit. morden tends to shoot ordinary rockets from time to time too, so don't stay too close to him for extended periods; he also can do a weird plunge and shoot a rocket if you stay on the left part of the screen.
and that's it i guess
>>
>>3180825
>wasn't it the easiest
Yes
>>
>>3180116
Thats amazing. That section was nearly impossible for me.
>>
>>3181926
>>3181919
>>3181917
Was that really necessary?
>>
>>3180091
metal slug haters actually exist?

what the fuck is wrong with you, dude?
>>
>>3182098
>liking a 30fps game
>>
>>3182007
almost definitely not honestly, but i thought i'd sperg it out while i still have it fresh
if it saves the trouble for at least one person, then i guess it was worth it
>>
>>3182104

>being this much of an autist
>>
>>3180091
I'd only change two things in Metal Slug 3, make the final mission optional and give the player a couple extends.
>>
>>3182165
I'm the guy you're responding to and it's good stuff, thanks... I have actually cleared the last level on 1 credit by warping there with a save state, and I can get to the last stage without dying, I just haven't managed to do it all right in one complete run yet.

In general I notice you can cheese a lot of the hard parts by proceeding slowly.
>>
File: image.jpg (125 KB, 638x893) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125 KB, 638x893
>>3180091
One of the things about SNK and arcade culture in general that I miss the most is that games weren't "shoved down your throats". Metal Slug, like every Neo•Geo game ever, was never advertised to the public (maybe a few print ads) and became a hit purely on its own merits. You know why I bought The King of Fighters every year? Because it was awesome, not because it had a million dollar ad campaign behind it (or was cross promoted with Mountain Dew or axe body spray) and it wasn't sitting on the shelves at Walmart either.
>>
>>3184040
I wanna add to that and say that Neo Geo games were actually kind of a pain in the ass to order too. Maybe your town had a corner store with a whole shelf of SNK games? I had to call California long distance and order it from an old Asian woman who seemed angry that I was calling her!
>>
>>3182104
fps matters not if you have detailed, fluid graphics and amazing artists and their level of detail that created dozens of idle animations that gave their characters personality.
>>
>>3180091
git gud faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 403x403
>>3180091
>he couldn't 1cc metal slug

git gud
>>
>>3185082
that fucking lenny
>>
>>3181917
>>3181919
>>3181926

More of an example of what we should see more of on /vr/. Fuck idiots like >>3182007 who would rather jerk off and shitpost instead of discuss actual gaming.
>>
>>3180884
it's the same exact game you banana

your loss
>>
i think I made it to mission 5 on one credit in Metal Slug. Never practiced it too much, though. I just like playing them co-op as that's a crazy time. I'll try MSX one day as people say that one's great. Only ones I've played are 1 and 3.
>>
>>3180103
You just told that guy how to talk though.
>>
If you use an emulator from this millennium, you might even find a person who co-ops with you.
>>
>>3180116
so while you do the "jump off vehicle" animation you cant die? awesome playthrough. didnt know flamethrower could be that useful
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.