[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tactics Ogre
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4
File: TACTICS-OGRE-Key-Art-1.jpg (587 KB, 1920x2165) Image search: [Google]
TACTICS-OGRE-Key-Art-1.jpg
587 KB, 1920x2165
How is the PSP port for this game? Are we allowed to talk about PSP ports here?
>>
>>3177346
Plays more like FFT than the original.

More equipment slots, and not limited to 4 slots total for weapons, gear and items.

Items are just a standard item pool like in FFT or a traditional JRPG.

You need class marks to use a class, so you can't just have like 10 terror knights unless you have 10 terror knight marks to do so.

Then theres a different translation which is kind of a take it or leave it thing, some are going to hate it, some will prefer it.

I dunno if it's better or worse, but it's the same game with a bit of nice changes, and some less nice changes.
>>
>>3177357
Cheers m8, I was just curious because I already know to avoid the PSP port of FFT.
>>
ehhh, sometimes I prefer the simplicity of the SNES version
they added a lot of stuff but the game felt like a mixed bag imo
the biggest improvement the psp version made was letting the player run from battles or completely avoid them
>>
>>3177346
I enjoyed it.

>Dat orchestral rendition of the OST
I'd say it warrants a playthrough just to hear it alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=948pcoM7Seo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s7Jyxl2gCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1RSbdFqarE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7RAAoRpXgA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIiQZiToW2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lALvB4IaGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SamSkIUU7jU

These rips are poorly compressed and not indicative of the source quality. It sounds a lot better in-game or off the OST.
>>
>>3177346
>How is the PSP port for this game?
Very different.

It's not a bad game, except when it comes to certain very stupid decisions, such as crafting, classes and the tremendous amount of grinding you NEED to do if you want to squeeze everything out of the game, but it's pretty different from the original, in good and bad ways.

The new translation manages to be actually much worse than the Fatlus one by far since O'Smith thought it was cool to change names to make them sound more "medieval" and add totally epik shakespearean prose XD and made up lines that weren't present in the original script and completely butcher the characters, and if that wasn't enough that moron felt compelled to even change some classes' names creating a lot of confusion since the Siren class now is named Witch when the actual Witch class in the game is now called Enchantress just because.

If you can deal with reading O'Smith's fanfic instead of Matsuno's writing you're not going to have any problem though, it's not like he changes events in the story, though don't think for a second the characters you'll see in there are those envisioned by Matsuno, they're pretty different, sometimes radically so.
>>
>>3178047
>crafting, classes and the tremendous amount of grinding you NEED to do if you want to squeeze everything out of the game

this absolutely
class levels, weapon skills, skill points, ranked skills - all require an obscene amount of grinding to max out
there are also some bizarre decisions like recruited characters "forgetting" more than half of their skills and strongest spells

I almost fell out of my chair when I read the requirements for the post game
POTD? Forks? Heavenly Generals?

Jesus
>>
>>3178047
Who is O'Smith?
>>
Solid game, but like anything, it has its faults (crafting system and it's expoitable; save before, if fail, reload. No risk).

PSP port is ungodly hours of fun and post end game content. Skill level grinding is balls hard and ridiculous (Steal, Parry, etc) but it's well done for what it is.

Defeats FFT in every way, shape and form. TO is basically the big boy's SRPG, FFT would be entry level casual play.
>>
>>3178094
>FFT would be entry level casual play.

So just like the regular FF?
>>
>>3178090
Alexander O'Smith, a localizer who worked for Square, he's the one responsible for Vagrant Story's silly translation who is hailed as "great" by a bunch of ignorant people who can't read japanese and don't know how much he fucked up.
Same thing happened with the PSP remake of TO, he rewrote the script in silly, incoherent old fashioned english because he can't imagine a medieval fantasy scenario without people speaking like theater actors even though they speak like normal people in the original script.
>>3178094
>it's well done for what it is.
It's really not, especially for skills like Steal and Parry.

Steal seems hot shit until you realize(after 60+ hours of grinding) that there's literally only one unique item that you can steal and one classmark worth your time, all the rest is material you get for free after battles and classmarks. What's worse is that you can't even use Steal in an intelligent way because the game is no fun allowed, let's say I want to steal a Necromancer classmark when I'm in in Law route, well, I can't because even though I have a necromancer in front of me I didn't play through a certain optional scenario to unlock the classmark yet so I CAN'T steal altogether from that character, same for all other classes.
Plus, Steal cost points to use so you can't even use it reasonably to level it up(at a 0.03 point ratio per action for a total amount of 800 points), making it the singular most tedious grind in the game.

Parry is useless because to get it running like it's supposed to you'll need at least 4 levels in it, which means it becomes relatively active by the postgame where spellcasters are king and your melee units obliterate anything before they can even attack you, and even if they do attack you chances are the damage is low to non-existent.

And don't get me started on crafting, whoever thought making such a convoluted system without giving you the option of crafting more than one unit of an item at a time needs to be fired.
>>
>>3178121
Sorry, I meant the game over all is good for what it is, not the bullshit skill system. That and crafting are the biggest cons. You're spot on correct, though.
>>
>>3178094
>"TO is basically the big boy's SRPG, FFT would be entry level casual play."
>archers
>ninjas
>canopus
>chariot
>crafted equipment
>characters have three hearts
>enemies don't even get a counter, they just die without a chance of being revived

the SNES version is hard if you don't train often, the PSP version is laughable in comparison
It's way easier than both the SNES version and FFT
The only battles that offered some challenge were the rescue missions (Aloser, Cerya, Cistina, Azelstan, Cressida, Oelias) because the people you had to rescue had a retardedly suicidal A.I.
>>
>>3178125
Sorry, I must have misread your post.

The trauma of grinding in the PSP remake was too big, it scarred me for life.

But yeah, it's a good game overall, shame it's held back by such unfathomably bad design decisions, for almost everything else it was better than the original by far.

And let's be honest, it's not like you need to grind steal/parry, crafting or beat the heavenly generals and CODA to enjoy the game, also because CODA is explicit fanservice for those who played the game back in the days and is completely irrelevant to the enjoyment of the main part and juice of the game.

If there's one thing I wish they didn't put though was the Chariot system, but that's just me.
>>
>>3178130
>FFT
>Solo the game as Ramza only, drunk, one hand, Calculator

Ok.jpg
>>
>>3178130
>FFT
>enemies never scale to you
>knights and archer enemies for days, never any challenging units
>fights end as fast as they start
>every sword class broken, 100% hit rate, free cost
>cid is all of them and more
>monsters are all worthless except tiamat and behemoth arguably
>so easy you can solo the game as ramza only and end every battle in seconds
>PSP remake throws in Dark Knight like Cid wasn't enough, now everyone can be hilariously overpowered
>Balthier
>Luso, really
>Calculator

Casual enough?
>>
>>3178121
>silly translation who is hailed as "great" by a bunch of ignorant people who can't read japanese and don't know how much he fucked up.

Sounds kinda like every Square translation after FF7. I know much of FF8's dialogue was heavily rewritten and replaced with one-word sentences i.e "Whatever' which was never in the original Japanese version.

Here's an example of localized Ultimecia vs original Ultimecia:

http://radiantbutterfly.tumblr.com/post/71485958945/ff8-ultimecia-dialogue-comparison
>>
>>3178130
The catch with all of those points minus crafting and enemies reviving is that you miss on titles, which are carefully designed to not let you play the game is it was intended ironically since you can't use Chariot and you can't let anyone by KO'd/lose a Heart until you've finished CODA and 90% of the optional content.
Basically, getting titles is the game's real "hard mode", mostly because it effectively forces you to play the game like the SNES version, but even then, if you've already played the old versions you'd probably have little problems with the PSP port anyway, except Nybbas' battles and most rescue missions.

Archers and Ninjas are overrated, Archers are nice in Chaos path because the stages' terrain is more suited for them, but in Neutral or Law they already are less useful than you'd think, Ninjas are strong in 1vs1 but unless you use some sturdy characters like Denim chances are you're getting oneshot by mages/archers/krakens/enemies with techniques so there go your titles.

Also, one thing that many people don't do in the remake is using mages to their full potential, mostly because they fall for the Archer/Ninja meme, having two or three mages with good equipment and skills make the game much more trivial than a full archer/ninja team, mages are also the only characters that can almost completely shut down Dorgalia's new form and kill him without any risk even at relatively low levels, by level 28-30 you outright demolish him.
>>3178163
>after FF7
Something something son of a submariner.

Square's localizations were never good, hell, 90% of localizations are never good.
>>
>>3178174
>Square's localizations were never good, hell, 90% of localizations are never good.

That's because when they're faithful you usually see how shit the story originally was.
>>
>>3178174
yeah, I never cared for titles
and ninjas are overrated, but still great because of steelstance and decoy (both completely unnecesary)
and everyone who can equip hammers should do so, because crushing damage rules in this game
alternatively, if your ninjas can't deal damage to a sturdy foe, they can always build their tp on squishy enemies and unleash a finishing blow that deals damage based on his TP on enemies with high defense

not as OP as archers, but still OP
>>
>>3178156
I think random encounters always scaled (don't know about PSP, haven't played), same for TO, storyline battles scale if you're like 7 levels above the enemies' default level if I remember right
and calcs at least require some grind and setup, and they can backfire if you don't know what you're doing
canopus, archers and chariot are with you from the start

but most monsters were useless yeah, a pity
>>
>>3178186
>That's because when they're faithful you usually see how shit the story originally was.

If you're one of those people who think that flowery speech improves any kind of storytelling or that characters that speak like normal, actual human beings are bad I don't know what to tell you.

Not to mention, the story can be good or bad as much as you like, but localizers changing the source material to fit their own headcanon is something that should never happen and it only shows the tip of the iceberg that is the dark side of the videogame industry.
If any serious translator picked up a book or a movie and changed the script to fit his own silly fetish he would be rightfully punished and forbidden to do anything like that ever again, in the videogame environment those hacks are praised instead by making games "better".

Also

>Playing videogames for the story
>>
File: fftloc.jpg (28 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
fftloc.jpg
28 KB, 480x272
>>3178121
>he rewrote the script in silly, incoherent old fashioned english because he can't imagine a medieval fantasy scenario without people speaking like theater actors even though they speak like normal people in the original script.

Damn, I love VS (one of my favourite games) and now I'd like to know how the original would've sounded
who knows, the game could've been more popular if it had been translated as intended
why does he think he has the right to do this shit, just do your fucking job and translate the game please
>>
>>3178242
I meant as look at the dialogue in FF7, if you ignore all the typos and grammatical errors and shit I imagine that's how the characters would talk like in the original Japanese.

But you're right on everything else.
>>
>>3178242
To be fair, there is limited space for dialogue and text in the games of old. When Woolsey did FF6, he stated it was I believe 400% too large to fit and had to cut it down. He did this twice before just scraping it and redoing the whole thing.

Japanese characters fit in less space and get the point across much easier than in english. Japanese is a very to the point language and very dull; the dialogue you think is golden land amazing, most translators try to fluff up to give it some life.

Keep in mind also, back then, games were just starting to get a foothold in the door as something more than toys and things for kids; they were becoming art. They do what they can for translations and Woolsey even said he did the best he could with what he had cause the above were also his viewpoints.

If we're gonna hate on anything, hate on FFT's butchered translation, such as Wiznaibu (With Knives), Ramia Harp, Salty Rage (forget the name; it's katakana), Cocatoris (Cockatrice), Sephiros, etc.

Many games out there that were FAR worse.

Do not tell me you'd want the original name for Cloud's Omnislash because it's fucking anime level awful.
>>
>>3178257
>I'd like to know how the original would've sounded
Very down to earth, it wasn't actually one of his worst jobs though, some parts were actually well done, others, like most conversations that involved Sidney, Rosenkrantz and Tieger/Neesa were a bit butchered.
Matsuno doesn't really use flowery speech in his games unless the character requires it, see the original Roderick in TO or Hashmal in FFT, for the most part characters speak very normally and are actually concise, maybe because Matsuno likes drama conveyed by actions and implications rather than speech, I don't know.
Vagrant Story was...very VOTOMS-y if I have to make a comparison, it had its flowery bits, but it was very down to earth and raw most of the times.
>>3178271
>I imagine that's how the characters would talk like in the original Japanese.
I'll take the risk of sounding like an asshole, but you imagine wrong.
It's very cliched for me to say this, but you can't really understand how characters speak until you learn the language, Japanese is a language that uses very specific structural patterns and particles that are by nature very difficult, but rarely impossible, to translate to other languages.
The only two characters that are similar to their japanese scripts are Barret and Cid, maybe Vincent too, but he's got next to no dialogue so he's a non issue when all he says is basically "Lucrecia...", all the others have a pretty different tone, speech patterns and peculiarities.

But mind you, except some plot points made unclear by the translation it wasn't actually TOO bad for its time, FFVI had it worse, FFVIII had it worse, SaGa Frontier had it worse.
And let's not talk about how hard other games had it, after all you can easily look over questionable or shabby translations when WD existed and actually did them so on purpose.
>>
File: 1447761567452.png (553 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1447761567452.png
553 KB, 500x500
>>3178281
Nah that's fine. I'm actually curious as to whether Cloud really is the mopey, one-dimensional faggot loser we see in Advent Children and Kingdom Hearts or if he really is as silly as he seemed in the game with the botched translation.

>FFVI had it worse, FFVIII had it worse

Yeah, I've always hated VIII's story and characters but I wonder how much of that is due to the unfaithful localization. Apparently Squall isn't as much of an unlikable shitstain in the original Japanese version of the game.

>And let's not talk about how hard other games had it, after all you can easily look over questionable or shabby translations when WD existed and actually did them so on purpose.

Yet WD were always praised for it. Also I know it's heresy but I honestly preferr Blaustein's version of MGS1's script over the original, if Twin Snakes is anything to go by.
>>
>>3178281
does matsuno have any say over who gets to translate his games, or is it conpletely up to square?
has he stated his opinion on Smith's work?
>>
>>3178312
>does matsuno have any say over who gets to translate his games
Not that I know.
>>
>>3178286
>Yet WD were always praised for it.

That was for maybe two of their games. You look at trainwrecks like Vanguard Bandits and you'll see what people actually thought of Working Designs once word got around.
>>
Is there are difference between the SNES and PS1 versions?
How's the snes fan translation compared to PS1 official translation?
>>
>>3178257
AUUUUGH.

When you use the word SUCCOR you know you've gone too far.
>>
Man, whenever these threads pop up about shit translations it always reignites my will to learn moon.
>>
I've always loved the Shakespearian writing in Matsumo's games, shit I just don't know what to think now
>>
>>3178807
>I had to look up a word so this translation sucks
>>
>>3177357
>>3177415

>no one mentions the utterly tedious crafting system
>>
>>3178281
>I'll take the risk of sounding like an asshole

That is something I never thought I would ever hear on 4chan.
>>
>>3180123
Despite his bitching the translation doesn't take away from the experience. Not to mention VS is more fondly remembered outside japan and the translation is one of the things that made it standout then and now. Also there are translations of VS besides the english one in europe and they aren't as interesting like it.
>>
>>3180321
If you want me to behave like a teenager high on hormones and memes like most of 4chan's anons you only have to say it.

It might be hard to believe but there's a few people here that don't care about fitting in the antagonistic mindset and behave like a faggot for no reason, at least, not anymore.

I'm here for content, not to waste my time and other people's, and I know my personal opinion regarding games' localizations and translations aren't exactly popular so at least let me sweeten the medicine a bit, I don't understand people that can like or appreciate such localizations but there's no need for me to call everyone a flaming faggot or whatever, it's their own business.
>>
>>3178278
>Cloud's omnislash

From the FF Wiki:

Omnislash (超究武神覇斬, Chōkyū Bushin Hazan?, lit. Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash) is known as Cloud Strife's signature move and his strongest Limit Break.

>Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash

Fucking lol.
>>
Chronicle Valeria is a great hack and I reccomend it to anyone who can read moonrunes (I can't)
it's probably my favourite version of the game, I got to the hanging gardens before I lost my save (neutral route)

I wish I had a patcher for the SNES TO similar to the one for FFT
>>
I wish it was possible to have a TO thread on here without "but the translation is so shit and here's why:" for 100 posts. Like damn man, we get it, you have a hateboner for Shakespearean prose.
>>
>>3180565
>Super Extreme Martial God Supreme Slash
Sounds like a joke attack.
>>
>>3180640

This is the only guy who is chronically offended about the FFT, TO, and various other "ye olde english" translations.

No one is praising it. It's just different than the original, most people are saying it's not better or worse, just different.

You shitposting about it everything is way more annoying than anything else.

Did the translator rape your parents or something?
>>
>>3181998
So now pointing the truth is shitposting?

These are dark times we live in.
>>
>>3182880
The truth is that if you had two versions one with a dry literal translation and the old english one, no one except you would claim that drab writing would fit more a setting inspired by medieval/renaissance europe. It adds flavor without taking anything from the experience.
>>
>>3178121

Personally, I think he's a really good writer. Remember that he did FFXII which was amazing. I'm certainly not on his level with Japanese, but FFXII and Vagrant Story are truthfully bland as fuck in the Japanese versions.

In FFT, I think the rewrite isn't as good as it takes the matter-of-fact tone in the dialogue from the original PSX version of the game, and the same thing happens between the writings of of Toluct.

People are also kinda lashing back at him for Phoenix Wright's localization (which, besides VS I think he is most known for), but I'd have to argue that to heavily localize it was a decision made by Capcom "if the game was coming over at all, it better be accessible" stipulation. I think he does a fantastic job for what he's assigned. The nature of the translations simply haven't aged in favor of these particular games.

They're really the best ways it could be done, unlike throwing Bill Clinton references and birth control sculpture jokes into Lunar SSSC (okay, that one was pretty funny).
>>
>>3178286

Cloud is mopey throughout Crisis Core, so I guess I'd argue that, backed with his behavior towards his mom and such in the Nibelheim flashbacks of the original game, he's uneffected and disinterested in everything. That makes sense though, given his backstory which is also in the first game.

The happenings in Midgar and the beginning discs of the game are him still adopting memories from Zack. Of course he would have a casual confidence boost if he was worth any salt. You can see a dramatic change in that even after Tifa explores Cloud's mind. He was never a "crawling in my skin" character, and I think that over the years throughout the compilation, he was made entirely interchangeable with Vincent Valentine, but the "Let's Mosey" screenshot is still rather misleading when looking at that game by itself.
>>
>>3182917
>The nature of the translations simply haven't aged in favor of these particular games.
What does that even mean?

I swear /vr/, this aging meme is going way too far.
>>
>>3180123

To be fair, if anyone in the thread here has happened to read anything by Shakespeare in moon, most published translations are actually very barebones and look more like the modernized English translations that come with school versions of the plays as a footnote. They really throw the colorful language out the window and just go for the meaning of the phrase.

"Romeo, Romeo. Wherefore art thou Romeo?" is written as
ロ、ロミオ、ロミオ。 どうしてあなたはロミオなの? or even なぜあなたはロミオなの?

It's fucking obnoxious the difference, really.
>>
>>3182926

I meant the nature of J-E translation/localization in general. As anime/game fans have gotten older, we've outgrown the Ash Ketchum/Joey Wheeler days of watching media and people get really fucking feisty about the on-screen accuracy of the translation.

More liberal writing in games like VS and stuff by WD and all of the PSX Final Fantasy (save IX) and really botched jobs like Wild Arms 2 simply don't fly anymore.
>>
>>3182920
>Cloud is mopey throughout Crisis Core

No he was actually quite upbeat and chipper (probably a little TOO upbeat and chipper, but whatever) Crisis Core got many things wrong but Cloud wasn't one of them.

>The happenings in Midgar and the beginning discs of the game are him still adopting memories from Zack.

How does one adopt memories of another person? He just self-inserted as Zack in his own memories and made up everything else, to trick everyone (including himself) into believing he was in SOLDIER.
>>
>>3182928
>They really throw the colorful language out the window and just go for the meaning of the phrase.

Shakespeare sounds like shit in anything but English, even the best italian translations are garbage compared to the original.

Though how would you even feasibly translate "wherefore" in Japanese? I don't think there's a joshi or anything like that.
>>3182936
Well, if you mean like that, sure.
Though aging has nothing to do with it, it's simply the fact that certain forms of education are more widespread and accessible than before so certain people now demand a higher standard.
It's not like those translation are better or worse now, it's just that the mentality has changed and people also have access to other, better sources of information.
>>
>>3182917
I thought FFXII was bland as fuck even with the translation. It felt like Medieval Phantom Menace: The Video Game only with less scatology/subtle racism.
>>
>>3180640

You have the option to learn japanese and play the original.

Japanese is a really fucking uninteresting language with very little flair, so it's not surprising that the translators and localizers try and zazz it up, even if a lot of the time it falls flat.
>>
>>3182938
Only because you were playing as Zack. Cloud opened up to Zack in a way that he wasn't able to with other people.

Sorry, adopt was simply the wrong word for that, but the Zack+Cloud combo persona was still something he wasn't aware of or forcing onto himself, so I'd still argue that at least a part of Zack's personality radiated with Cloud while that was still going on.
>>
>>3182945
Cloud was basically always shadowing Zack as a shrine grunt.

He basically had a psychotic break and since he idolized Zack he just reformated his memories so that he was living his dream vicariously through Zack.
>>
>>3182945
>Only because you were playing as Zack. Cloud opened up to Zack in a way that he wasn't able to with other people.

He opened up to other people just fine from what I remember. The only one he hid from was Tifa, and that was due to being embarrassed at failing to keep his promise to her.

>so I'd still argue that at least a part of Zack's personality radiated with Cloud while that was still going on.

Well he did pick up on some of his mannerism but Cloud went full edgelord mode at the beginning of the game, which Zack never did.
>>
>>3182942

I still like the game but it's true. Although the dialogue itself wasn't the only blatantly Star Wars shit about it. The entire worldbuilding was Ivalice and Star Wars having a ripoff kid. If everything was spoken casually in-game, I'd only wager it would look even more like a ripoff. Balthier would sound even more like Han Solo and Vaan like Luke and so on.

>>3182939
You could still use more formal/royal speech. I dunno, but a noble throwing out a なぜ in Shakespeare of all things is a little sketchy to me. Japanese has like 30-something levels of keigo bullshit to dance around, there is some level of formality that ought to make Shakespeare shine a little more.
>>
>>3182950
>>3182949

>Well he did pick up on some of his mannerism
>reformated his memories so that he was living his dream vicariously through Zack.

That's really all I was rambling for.

When did Cloud go full edgelord in the beginning of FF7 though? Cloud was at his best for pretty much the entirety of Midgar and kinda goes downhill after that until he flips out right after Aeris dies.
>>
>>3182904
>Because of course it's cool to have a barbarian talk like an educated knight
If everyone talks in old english than it's not a sign of education. It's the standard way of communicating. It's the people that think that talking like "Me strong warrior me hurt you" to show someone is uneducated are the problem. Also you are missing the point that the only games that got the linguistic treatment are set in a medieval/renaissance setting. FFXII is more interesting thanks to changing things like the Occurian dialogue in english. I know 4 languages(not Japanese because that would be a waste of my time) and I approve of the VS, TO and FFXII translations as they are simply more interesting thanks to that.
>>
>>3182963

Right in the beginning where he's all "I wanna talk about money"

It doesn't last very long
>>
>>3182964

Only 4? Didja forget one? Because it was 5 last time I remember having this discussion.

>Not japanese, becuase that would be a waste of time

Clearly you should invest in learning it, because then you wouldn't have to worry about "shitty shakespearan translations"
>>
>>3182969
I know Polish, Russian, German and English. I don't need to know Japanese living in Europe.
>>
>>3182943
>Japanese is a really fucking uninteresting language with very little flair
That some nice hot opinion you have there.
>>3182954
>You could still use more formal/royal speech.
The problem here isn't just the tone, it's that "wherefore" isn't a simply "why", using a different level of keigo would be better, sure, but it still isn't the appropriate term.

What is also important is that Japanese doesn't have certain structural nuances of other languages, mostly because of cultural and social differences.
>>3182964
>>3182964
>If everyone talks in old english than it's not a sign of education. It's the standard way of communicating.
It isn't, not when a berserker uses vocabulary and sentence structures used by erudites.
>Also you are missing the point that the only games that got the linguistic treatment are set in a medieval/renaissance setting.
Actually, that's exactly my point.
> know 4 languages(not Japanese because that would be a waste of my time)
Then what are you even doing here?
>>
>>3182975
>uses vocabulary and sentence structures used by erudites.
Give the in game of that happening or are you just exaggerating?
>>
I just want the dialogue to be the way it was originally written,I'm not interested in some translator's vision
also, the high falootin fakespearean translation may be more "appropriate", but it has no punch or power
I'll take "Animals have no God!!!" over whatever they made Algus say in the retranslation
>>
>>3182979
XAPAN: Well if it isn't old Gatialo! Fancy seeing him here!

DENAM: You know him, Xapan?

XAPAN: Aye, he's a commander in the Galgastani army, a real goadsticker of a man. As feared as he's respected. Worse, it was him what pushed for Balbatos's blood war. My band ran afoul of Gatialo's lines at Psonji, and they hewed us down like scythes to grass. His kind would kill Walister for sport. Best give that one a wide berth.

Sure sounds like a 50 years old berserker who has never seen a book.

Compared to Ganp, which is actually one of the characters who wasn't butchered that much and is actually in character.

GANPP: Sorry, boys.... I'm not long for this world. You've served me another bowl of the weak broth of defeat. Burn me, boil me, whatever you like! But not the younglings.... Me boys are innocents! I'm the bad egg, the rotten core o' the apple! Punish the man, and spare the child!

DENAM: You mean what you say, Ganpp?

GANPP: You tell me what you want, you got it. I'm good for me word.

Besides that "weak broth of defeat" he's almost the same as the original character.
>>
>>3182998
But the Xapan dialogue looks like typical exposition dumping with a structure and composition that isn't something I would say is overly intelligent. It's Ganpp with his proverbs seems like more intelligent fellow. Do you have a literal translation of the original?
>>
>>3182993

I'm only nitpicking, but it's funny because the proper way to translate 「家畜に神はいないッ!!」 would replace animals with "cattle/livestock" specifically and not imply through that scene that the poor were just a bunch feral rats. "Animals have no god!" was still slightly dolled up over "Cattle have no god!"
>>
>>3183008
>But the Xapan dialogue looks like typical exposition dumping with a structure and composition that isn't something I would say is overly intelligent
Then I'm afraid you should study English and read more if you think that.
>It's Ganpp with his proverbs seems like more intelligent fellow
"Goadsticker of a man" or "My band ran afoul of Gatialo's lines" aren't, it's hogwash, and incoherent at that since a few stages earlier he used a completely different tone.
>Do you have a literal translation of the original?
I don't do literal translations and the fact that you're asking for one already shows what's wrong with you.
"Literal" translations aren't worth shit, if you want something like that you might as well read whatever you want through Babylon or Systran.

You want another little example of the superb quality of O'Smith's work?

Take Nybbas using Summon Darkness in all of his scenes.

In the localization he says:

"Denizens of the Abyss! From ink of blackest night, I summon you! Darkness to me!"

You know what he says in japanese?

The spell name, Summon Darkness, not even the Fatlus translation with all its errors managed to be this bad, it's literally rewriting characters.
>>
>>3182936
You're kidding right? Liberal translations are as prevalent now as they've always been. Just look at Nintendo Treehouse or NISA, who despite it being public knowledge how inaccurate their localizations are still keep getting away with it.
>>
>>3183032

I did say they don't fly, right? Not that they aren't released, but either people don't mind them either way or they outright dislike it. It's literally impossible to look up Fates without the localization being thrown in one's face first.

That feedback simply didn't happen or it hardly existed at all back in the 90s/early 2000s. Nintendo is also it's own deal. WD can throw "retard" in a translation and it will go right under the radar while the earth apparently stood fucking still when "spastic" slipped into a Nintendo game.
>>
>a thread about a good game derailed by a autistic sperg that wanted to show off his knowledge of japanese
Thanks m8 next time go to /v/ to cry about shit like this.
>>
>>3183070
You don't really seem to have much to say about the game yourself.
>>
>>3183070
Why don't you refute the argument then instead of whine about it
>>
Playing it now. I hate how every character is the same now. The best part of the original for me was mixing and matching classes and growths to really make "your" army. Now everybody barring very little statistical variance and skills is just the same bland person. You can't even use carried over actiom unique abilities to different classes. I am in chapter 3 L route and could maybe name 2 of the generics that I have which tells you how hollow that aspect of the game has become. The job leveling system is horrible in the respects of having to grind new jobs by having them hide in a dozen battles before they can do anything and punishing recuitmemt of new jobs by taking away most skills.

I just saw some poster mention that use need all hearts and not have used chariot to get everything in the end and now I'm just angry since I used chariot a few times in the beginning mostly just to see how it works.

Also leveled weapons and armor just ruined the enjoyment of getting something earlier that normal by treasure, recruitment, or a drop from a boss. I still can't use my +1 offense and defense rings I made 20 hours ago because they need level 15.

Also no training sucks most fun I had in the original was picking groups that I thought were even and letting them have at it AI contolled in the background.

All spells equipable just needing the elemential skill was also lame. The skills system is just so boring and tedius. So much garbage unnessesary grind just to be garbage grind. I'm like what 24-30 hours in and still don't have the level to get any level II versions of generic "do more damage" or "now counter at 50%". Game would have been better without the system at all. Leveling stuff off hurts the game on so many levels.

Speaking of tedium, the crafting system. Would be better if enemies got to take advantage. Same with revival.

I liked the new portraits.
>>
>>3183740
>and now I'm just angry since I used chariot a few times in the beginning mostly just to see how it works.
We've all been through that Anon, I feel ya.

And I agree with mostly everything you mentioned, the game's great, but the mandatory grind is unbearable and it really hurts the game in terms of fun, same thing with how the class system works, which in the end is almost completely geared towards spellcasters and melee gets basically nothing.

It's basically a potentially great game with a big NO FUN ALLOWED sign.

The new portraits are really, really good though.
>>
>>3183740
I know what you mean

>want to get a summon
>read sonewhere that I have to go through 20 levels of the palace of the dead
>"fuck that"
>later in the game I see a rune fencer using a summon
>"Hey I know, I'll just recruit her and scavenge her skills and magic"
>recruit
>she magically forgets all her lv IV spells, summons and six of her skills

that was the last straw
>>
>>3183029
This. It's rewriting characters in the worst way. It's not good from a translation perspective, for the audience, or for anyone. A translator should be invisible, O'Smith just overtakes the whole work and rewrites it. It's just as bad as the worst of Working Design, but gamers will put up with it and defend it because reading faux Shakesperean makes people feel high-brow and intellectual.

Ace Attorney had a very good reason to be localized, and its localized characters still talk in a similar manner to their originals. All their accents and quirks reflect something from their original. That's a good localization. Rewriting the whole goddamn game just because, and making kings and beastmen alike talk like cultured courtiers, isn't.
>>
>>3184281
I have been working under the understanding that what is lost upon recruiting are skills that your character doesn't have the job levels to have yet.

Spells going missing is just awful.
>>
>>3186808
recruits keep only the first four skills on the list, the other six are magically forgotten, including the six skill slots (have fun relearning those)
they also lose all rare spells

I think unique units get to keep all their spells, I'm not sure though
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.