[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some modern games that let you play retro games in them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10
File: 1461976751761.jpg (41 KB, 502x500) Image search: [Google]
1461976751761.jpg
41 KB, 502x500
What are some modern games that let you play retro games in them?
To keep it /vr/ please only discuss the /vr/ part of my question
>>
There's an ultra rare version of Duck Hunt that lets you play Super Mario Bros 1 if you know the trick.
>>
>it's real

HOLY FUCK

Too bad I'll probably never get the game
>>
Doom3 lets you play Doom and Doom2 after you finish the single player campaign and Metal Gear Solid 3: Substance lets you play original Metal Gear after finishing the game on any difficulty. I'm drunk so maybe I'm wrong about some details.
>>
File: sonic generations genesis.jpg (91 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
sonic generations genesis.jpg
91 KB, 500x281
>>3177301
Sonic Generations includes an emulated version of Sonic 1. However, it's only on the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, and you have to buy access to it with points in the skill shop.
>>
shenmue
day of the tentacle
>>
File: animal.png (220 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
animal.png
220 KB, 400x300
Animal Crossing might as well be considered a NES collection.

I don't get why people are so excited about this... many games include older games as extra content. Super Mario Bros. 3 back in the NES included the original arcade Mario Bros.
DK64 included the original arcade DK.
Day of the tentacle included Maniac Mansion.
I think one of the Yakuza games included Virtua Fighter 2, I think it was Yakuza 5.

Shenmue also included some old Sega arcade games, I think it was Space Harrier.

There's probably too many examples to name.
>>
File: Doom.jpg (36 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Doom.jpg
36 KB, 1280x720
Doom has been ported to doom.
>>
>>3177359
But can Doom be ported again from there?
>>
>>3177301
What game is that picture from and is it legit?
>>
>>3177351
Animal Crossing had 19 NES games in total. Like you said, it could probably be considered a NES compilation, and while there's a lot of early crap, there are a lot of gems included.

1. Super Mario Bros. (yes this is included)
2. Mario Bros.
3. Donkey Kong
4. Donkey Kong Jr.
5. Donkey Kong 3
6. Donkey Kong Jr. Math
7. The Legend of Zelda (yes, this is also included)
8. Wario's Woods (funny of them to include the last NES/Famicom game Nintendo published, and this is actually a very underrated and overlooked classic)
9. Ice Climber
10. Excite Bike
11. Balloon Fight
12. Golf
13. Tennis
14. Baseball
15. Pinball
16. Soccer
17. Punch-Out (yes, this is included)
18. Clu Clu Land
19. Clu Clu Land D (this was actually never released outside Japan aside from its inclusion in North America, and its actually the last game Nintendo published for the Famicom Disc System, I don't think it ever got a re-release for any of Nintendo's Virtual Consoles).

Animal Crossing for the GameCube is worth it alone for the NES collection.
>>
>>3177339
Plus the game is released on the same consoles as the mega drive collection, which includes Sonic 1.
>>
Uncharted is gonna be a masterpiece.
>>
>>3177363
Not yet since Doomguy himself is hogging the machine within the Doom game he's playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ljEdcLRXI
>>
The new Splatterhouse includes the original Splatterhouse trilogy which is quite an achievement for modern games
Ninja Gaiden Xbox has the ng trilogy as well
Ng black has the arcade version
Prince of persia sands of time has the original. The Xbox version has that as well as pop 2.
One of the ninja turtle games have the konami game included
>>
File: AAA Gaming.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
AAA Gaming.jpg
63 KB, 1280x720
CoD Black Ops lets you play Zork if you want to.
>>
>>3177324

Why would you? It's the 4th fucking Uncharted. Games are more cinematics and QTE than fun shooting mechanics.
>>
There were also some games that included mini games during loading screens so you can do something else while you wait. Some NAMCO game had Galaga on the loading screen
>>
>>3177535
Tekken had this
>>
>>3177535
test drive on the ps2 had pong
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>3177439
Black Ops 2 had an easter egg on the Nuketown map that spawns a fully-functional Atari 2600 on which you can play Pitfall 2, River Raid, HERO and Kaboom.
>>
>>3177378
Uncharted 4 and yes. But not worth buying a PS4 and the game for.
>>
>>3177535
Namco had a patent on this.
>>
>>3177428
Battle Nexus had original arcade and Mutant Nightmare had arcade Turtles in Time, but they don't have the original music due to rights issues or something
>>
>>3177428
NG Black also has the original trilogy but you have to finish it on master ninja and have master ninja ratings to unlock it
>>
It's not the full game, but MGS4 had a playable flashback to MGS1.

>>3177351
>>3177380
How much would a new copy set me back? IIRC the NES games were actually on the memory card it came with.
>>
>>3177389
Not really, but Sony already said it's gonna be their most expensive marketing campaign yet, so we can expect a lot of shilling and 10/10s from journos.
>>
>>3178013

No, they're on the game disc, however I think there was one of the games that got unlocked with the memory card the game came with.
Some other games you get through different events on the game (for example, on christmas)
>>
>>3177336
Fucking drunkard
Both games let you play the previous ones from the get go, you don't have to complete anything
>>
>>3177336
metal gear solid 3 substance just had metal gear 1 and 2 on a second disc with the multiplayer. however the second run of substance didn't have the second disc for some reason
>>
>>3178019
I also think some of them you have to have hacks to access them
>>
>>3177845
Key word is "had". IIRC, the patent expired recently.
>>
Not exactly what OP asked, since you need to employ trickery to reach it, but Goldeneye has a ZX Spectrum emulator built in, including 10 games.
>>
>>3177301
Call of Duty Black Ops has Zork
>>
File: retro.jpg (10 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
retro.jpg
10 KB, 259x194
>>3177301
There is a retro game where you can play retro games in it.
>>
>>3177336
Doom 3 also includes the classic Super Turkey Puncher 3
>>
>>3180729
Doom 3 for Xbox has Doom 1 and 2
>>
>>3177310
I've always heard this, but never saw it. (Like, even in a video online.)
>>
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EmbeddedPrecursor
>>
Star Fox: Assault had Xevious as An unlockable side-game

Not sure if this really counts, but Smash Bros. Brawl has a bunch of retro games, but there's a time limit on how long you can play.

For that matter, does Ultimate NES Remix for 3ds count?
>>
Tekken 5 includes the arcade history mode where you can play the arcade versions of the first three games.
>>
File: image.png (55 KB, 299x219) Image search: [Google]
image.png
55 KB, 299x219
DK64. Not pictured: Jetpac
>>
>>3177301
metroid zero mission
>>
Sonic Gems had a bunch of classic sonic final boss' in the museum. If you have action replay you can disable the timer and play the whole game.
>>
>>3177351
>Super Mario Bros. 3 back in the NES included the original arcade Mario Bros.

"no", it included a multiplayer only, REMAKE of that game.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (9 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
9 KB, 480x360
Die Hard Arcade on the Saturn includes a port of an old Sega arcade game from 1979 called Deep Scan
>>
>>3180851
>If you have action replay you can disable the timer and play the whole game

Brawl is like that too with its masterpieces. Only problem is that you can't save so I wouldn't play SMW or Ocarina unless you're speedrunning.
>>
>>3182712
>That game where you have to play a much older game in order to earn credits

Hot damn, it's even fun by itself too!
>>
File: 1460344835651.png (228 KB, 358x408) Image search: [Google]
1460344835651.png
228 KB, 358x408
Here is a video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM3kR3UHzwo
Something things off with crash though, is his run different?
>>
>>3182861

Cringe as fuck, it's like some youtubers talking over a lets play.
>>
>>3182861
Why do people play these games? I don't see the appeal.
>>
>>3183094
What do you mean by "these games"? Third person shooters? Platformers? Because they're fun. The story is just a bonus.
>>
>>3183112
since when are bonusses mandatory and intrusive
>>
>>3182861
>Run towards the camera with down. Press the X button to jump, circle to attack. Attack the boxes.
I don't know if they're doing that to show how bad Drake is with video games, or if players ACTUALLY need a tutorial for Crash now-a--days.
>>
>>3177301
I've always liked those games that you could play on your pda thingy in System Shock 2, although those weren't real retro games and were made just for SS2
>>
>>3180835
Came in to post this, never disappointing, /vr/.

I spent hours with Jetpac when i discovered it!
>>
>>3183112
>Uncharted
>fun
>>
>>3183212
both
>>
>>3177380
If I recall, Zelda and SMB were in the game for an e-Card distribution but the e-Reader failed before the cards were created, making them unobtainable.
>>
>>3177301
>tfw no qt Elena gf to play Crash Bandicoot with

;_;
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.