[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vr/ confessions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8
File: smug edy.jpg (42 KB, 610x300) Image search: [Google]
smug edy.jpg
42 KB, 610x300
my first castlevania was judgment
>>
I bought 90% of my collection shortly after the console was replaced with the following generation.

I now resell to bandwagon collectors at ridiculous profit.

They even pay over hundred for a shit game like Earthbound
>>
>>3176730
not retro
>>>/v/
>>
>cancer, the thread
>>
I haven't bought a new console since I bought my glorified console phone.
>>
Sparkster on the Genesis is my favorite Rocket Knight
>>
File: Untitl111ed.png (679 KB, 547x737) Image search: [Google]
Untitl111ed.png
679 KB, 547x737
>be stuck in metal gear sold (can't find sniper rifle)

>buy guide
>use it through out whole game after that

>buy FFVII
>get stuck at G.I boss
>use it throughout whole game after that

>Buy FFVIII
>use guide from the start

>buy FFIX
>use guide from the start >figure I might as well use gameshark while Im at it for infinite black holes

Guides were a mistake.
>>
File: sq.jpg (95 KB, 700x613) Image search: [Google]
sq.jpg
95 KB, 700x613
>>3176730
Only Castlevania I ever played is Simon's Quest.
>>
I bought a copy of Shaq Fu for the Genesis and I don't even have the console to play it on.
>>
the only FF I played is I on nes

the only MGS I finished are Metal Gear and Ground Zeroes
>>
I've tried getting into Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment and other AD&D RPGs but always failed because I didn't know how AD&D works and I'm too lazy to learn it.
>>
>>3176752
It's a confession thread, not a made up stories thread. You weren't even alive when Earthbound released.
>>
Stop abusing spoilers, /v/tards
>>
Deus ex feels too dated to me, despite being in the latter quarter of my 20's.
>>
>>3178669
I'm 100% serious actually.

I still have boxes of shit to sell but only a handful of $100+ dollar games. No more than 15.

The one mistake I did reselling was not holding onto my Genesis stuff longer. But it was taking up so much space and it was just worthless for the longest time. Still only semi valuable atm but still.
>>
>>3177432
There's nothing wrong with using guides. It's still you playing the game and winning it.
>>
>>3178778
Here's a reply
>>
>>3176730
this is /vr/, anon

there's no judgment here
>>
I tried to play Fallout 1 but quickly gave up because the user interface was shit.

Same thing happened with the first Ultima as well.

Other than simple shooters I'm pretty much ready to give up on exploring early pc gaming, and will probably just stick to console stuff for my /vr/. At the very least I'll probably stop trying early computer rpgs.
>>
>>3178652
You really need to learn anything, though.
>>
>>3180357
>*don't.
>>
I love it when emulators imitate the hard drive sounds of whatever system it's emulating, and I wish more of them would do that.
>>
I only do vr because my computer can't handle modern games
>>
>>3177728
Go ahead and kill yourself now before your family find out you've shamed them.
>>
>>3180357
>>3180362
>THAC0
>>
I had to use a guide for Zelda 1 and 2
I still completed them, and think 2 is a really great Zelda game.
I used save slates for Megaman 1-5 on the Gameboy
I once bought a Mega CD for £20, and I think I fried the insides by putting a SNES power cable in there, I haven't checked it since and it's been on my shelf gathering dust for 3 years now
>>
I sold all my playstation games to 2nd & Charles so nerds xD can buy Spyro for $30.
>>
>>3178778
>he actually believes this
>>
>>3180489
The lower it is, the higher is your chance to hit something. You're welcome.
>>
File: 1408140072829.jpg (47 KB, 405x344) Image search: [Google]
1408140072829.jpg
47 KB, 405x344
The only game I've beaten in my collection is Megaman 2
>>
The only Megaman I've beaten is 2. On easy mode.

I've been trying for years but the only boss I can beat in Megaman 3 is Topman.
>>
I used maps to beat the special stages in Sonic 3.
I still haven't gotten all the emeralds in Sonic 2.
>>
>>3176730
I used maps for Metroid series
>>
File: INTERACT_FX.gif (29 KB, 400x269) Image search: [Google]
INTERACT_FX.gif
29 KB, 400x269
>>3176730
I know a place where I can get brand new retro controllers for $5 each, both these, and NES controllers, and I'm not getting around to either getting out of and grabbing some, or setting up a windows98 game machine to use one, or soldering the raspberry pi convertor, because, issues.
>>
I love the music on the first 2 Sonic games on the Genesis.. I own the OST that came out not too long ago and listen to it along with my regular music collection.
>>
>>3182620
I have no idea what you're saying my man.
>>
>>3182548
>Snake Man
Stand on the pillar in the middle and jump over him as he goes back and forth
>Top Man
Obviously you know how to beat him
>Shadow Man
Top Spin into him, probably gonna take some hits
>Spark Man
Stay on the platforms and just spam Shadow Blade
>Magnet Man
Just slide under the magnets and hit him from across the room
>Hard Man
Slide under his fists, Magnet Missile, slide under slam, magnet missile again
>Gemini Man
Use Search Snake and don't bother trying to figure out which is the real one, just keep shooting in one direction
>Needle Man
Wait until you're sure he's doing his standing head poke attack and hit him with the Gemini Laser. DO NOT FUCKING MISS.

Congratulations on beating all 8 Robot Masters.
>>
>>3176730
I can only enjoy retro games with cheats or password systems
>>
>>3182657
I also have a flea market near me, within walking distance 5 km away, by a few other stores.

And I can't be bothered to be appreciative of any of that shit.

I never even played the post-NES castlevanias, but I still can't be bothered to set up that raspberry pi with a CRT TV and a brand new NES controller for the PCE-CD one.

I have two need for speed games that I haven't played, and a few old computers, but I just don't feel like setting that up either.

Nor can I be bothered to gather up the last few bits I need to round that out.

I also have two nerdy social groups at hand, into various games, quite possibly open minded to retro games, and I feel far too special and warriorly for them. One of them has a guy who offered to give away CRT screens, and I suspect high quality ones.

I also allowed myself to lose contact with my the only two close friends I've had the last decade, who were gamers, one of whom I deeply exchanged opinions on games with.
>>
I use FAQs for nearly every game I play, especially if it's an adventure game / JRPG.
I was also an avid buyer of "Tips & Tricks" type of magazines when I was a kid.

Even yesterday, I used one sparingly in order to know where to get the flute in LotP and what to do with it.
Btw, I haven't beaten LotP yet despite the fact that I had this game since I was a kid, because I usually stop caring once I reached the Dark World.

The only FF game I've ever beaten was VIII, after I turned 18, even though I proclaimed to be a fan of the series when I was in middle-school.
The thing is that I either stopped caring, again, for no particular reason as I approached the end of the game (Dawn of Souls, IV, V, VI, XIII), or finished it by cheating (VII, X)

>>3182737
I feel like I know you.
Did someone erased your legit FFX save file with an Action-Replay-powered™ one when you were 11 or 12 ? If that's the case, that person might be me... :)
If that's really you, I just wanted to tell you I've beaten Persona 3 Portable recently, and I had a blast
>>
I wish /vr/ would stop being /v/ if /v/ was around in 1993. I don't know why the lot of you can't appreciate having two very different systems, with two very different libraries of awesome games. Hasn't happened since, really.

I love JRPGs, shoot me. Playing through DQ5 right now, and not really impressed though. Compared to IV, it feels a bit more basic and streamlined.

I occasionally sell my own games by searching for prices and pricing them a bit below what the resellers are selling them for. Still make a profit.

NES has been my favorite console, and I still play it a lot. For a while it got to the point that I'd get nostalgic hearing the PS1/2 start up jingle, but not for NES games.

I also love Genesis' style of music, as well as the SNES sample based style. Sorry guys.
>>
>I also love Genesis' style of music, as well as the SNES sample based style
There is nothing wrong with that, especially if you are aware of the relative strengths and weaknesses of each chips.
I personally prefer the SNES sound capabilities, especially when I put myself in the shoes of a dev back in the day, but the Genesis can make some groovy-ass shit too.
The thing is that most people don't seem to realize how hard it is to program a FM synth. However, some wizards can do some truly magical shit with those.
>>
>>3183025
I love both. Like their library, they do very different but awesome pieces of music.

I like Bloodlines music more than SCIV's. Columns has some of my favorite music heard in a puzzle game, and the Sonic 2 soundtrack is godlike. Never mind the incredible soundtracks for the Genesis everyone already knows about.

On the SNES, Square and Enix made some magic. FF6 still stands the test of time, and DQ's music has always played to the strengths of the console it's on. Super Metroid has an incredible soundtrack.

With that said, there's a lot of muffled shit on the SNES, and a lot of garbage tinny crap on the Genesis. Both have their ups and downs (as well as GEMS for Genesis games), but I love them both equally.
>>
>>3183038
The muffled stuff on the SNES comes from the limited memory available for the sound chip.
In order to use relatively long samples, the devs had to store them speeded up, and then slow them down during playback, and it's basically like playing those at a lower samplerate.

I don't understand why everyone say GEMS was a bad sound driver. Tommy Tallarico said in an interview that he was able to use MIDI for composing the Earthworm Jim soundtracks, while the Japanese had to code everything by hand instead of using Cubase/Creator/Notator on the Atari ST.
I don't see how that is bad, and no one ever explained to me technically why it supposedly was.

My guess is that there was a lot of tiny sounding garbage on the Genesis because FM synthesis is just less intuitive for composers and sound designers than subtractive synthesis or sampling.
And more Japanese nerds grew up with NEC computers, which had FM soundchips, unlike the Amstrad CPC / ZX Spectrum / C64 popular in the Western world in those times.
>>
I jacked off to the murder scenes in Night Trap.
>>
>>3177405
The Elder Scrolls Shadowkey is very playable tho
>>
I'm young but got into old stuff mainly because I was poor and all my PC could run were emulators up to PS1.

I became fond of past stuff ever since, but I couldn't say it was because I wanted. I just didn't have a choice.

Still don't.
>>
I didn't have Super Metroid when it was released and only came in contact with it much later through emulation. I think its impact on me would be much bigger if I had played it back than and not ~10 years later when I already played games which heavily borrowed from it.

It makes me actually a bit sad.
>>
I've played every Final Fantasy game from I to IX and I've never finished anyone of them.
>>
Ocarina of Time isn't my favorite Zelda game. (It's a Link to the Past)

I don't have much interest in Earthbound.

To me, Resident Evil was more fun with tank controls and fixed camera angles.
>>
>>3183792
now these are answers we need more of
>>
I have no interest in playing any Final Fantasy games.

Most games I only last like 10 minutes with. Only certain games make me want to keep playing, and its usually the games with a good balance of challenge and frustration. I've been playing games since the mid 80s and now in my 30s I'm pretty damn picky with what games I like to play more than 10 minutes.

I think the 5th gen is highly overrated, with dated graphics, primitive camera movements and control schemes, muddy color palettes and very bland and drab sceneries.

There are some really great games I like to go back to definitely (Mario 64 and a handful of others for N64, Duke Nukem and Twisted Metal II for PS1 and Mega Man 8, Die Hard Arcade and a few others for Saturn) but I'd say there that many games I care about from that gen, although Sega Saturn seems more and more interesting as time goes by. and PS 1 looks more and more shitty.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My confession is that I want you to pick one of these games for me to play.
Having trouble deciding, been an issue lately.
>>
>>3184075
>but I'd say there that many games I care about from that gen

*there ARENT that many games I care about
>>
I am terrible at NES games. I have never beaten the original SMB, never beaten a Mega Man game, needed the Konami code to beat Contra, and needed a guide for Zelda 1.
>>
>>3184090
I hate how one shot kills you in Contra games. I mean ok its going for realism and it is a tricky game to master not getting shot and trying to stay in the game, but it's just annoying after 3 shots, you get a game over and have to start over
>>
>>3176730
I never played finalfantasy 3 ( 6)
>>
I've never completed a non-Gameboy Mario game before.

>>3184078
I envy your SMT:DDS box set. And uh, play Xenogears.

>>3184090
I'm oddly bad at them as well, but I still like a number of them.
>>
>>3184108
I actually haven't tried the SMT, and I've beaten xeno, should I give it a go?
>>
>>3182958
Nope, not me, I had played final fantasy titles, and I those around me had done that kind of hacking and exchanging saves a bit, but I played earlier FF games..
>>
File: 1461707949662.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1461707949662.gif
2 MB, 300x300
earthbound is my favorite game of all time and I bought a copy for $200
>>
>>3185273
Everyone told me I was an idiot when I bought it for $150, I could easily make a profit if I sold it now though so joke's on those assholes
>>
>>3176730
I've never played Baldur's Gate until 3 days ago.
>>
Only Zelda games I played were Link to the past and Ocarina of time. Didn't finish either. Gave up on Link to the past when you turn into some pink bunny thing and Ocarina of time just bored me.

Also, I never got why people like Metroid. I tried playing the one one SNES, got pretty far in and all the time asked myself why the fuck am I playing this?

System Shock 2 is over rated. It's a good game, sure. But I like System Shock under the sea more.
>>
>>3183949
I played Super Metroid for the first time, on an SNES, in 2004. I fucking loved it, but not as much as the original, which I'd played as a kid. I wished it was harder and easier to get lost in.

>>3185273
>>3185286
I bought Earthbound in 2003 for $24. I thought it was kind of dumb to ask so much for it, so I sold it for $80. No real complaints, really. The game wasn't THAT great to me either, but pretty good.

On another note, I got Phantasy Star IV for $9, same store. Nobody seems to give a shit about that one though.
>>
i've never beaten a single FF title
i've never beaten a single Castlevania title
the only 64 game i've played in my entire life is super mario 64
>>
>>3184078
Play Thousand Arms. It's not mechanically the best JRPG on the console or anything but it's charming and fun.
>>
>>3183025
>>3183081
I don't know how programming music on the Genesis worked, but FM synthesis isn't all that complicated if you get the gist of how it works, in terms of how different values in the synth affect the timbre. Did they have software for composing Genesis music, or did they have to code it? I could see FM being a bitch if I had to change a line of code every time I wanted to turn a knob 2 degrees.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.