[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Night Dive Studios the publisher /vr/ deserves? They've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
File: NightDiveStudiosLogo[1].png (14 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
NightDiveStudiosLogo[1].png
14 KB, 512x256
Is Night Dive Studios the publisher /vr/ deserves?

They've been publishing a bunch of great retro games, some popular, some more obscure, and bringing them to Steam, usually with some updates and trading cards. A few they've done so far are

>System Shock 1 & 2
>Turok 1 (and probably 2 eventually)
>I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
>Strife
>Shadow Man
>Sword of the Samurai
>Harvester
>Noctropolis
>Slave Zero
>Tex Murphy series
>Dragonsphere
>The 7th Guest & The 11th Hour
>Sid Meier's games (Pirates, Colonization, Covert Action)

I trust that when they publish a game I hadn't heard of, like MadSpace, Eradicator, or Slave Zero, that it's some good shit I need to check out.
>>
>>3173165
When you see the roster of shit they've brought to Steam, it's certainly hard to say otherwise. They seem like a standup group of gents!
>>
File: covert action.jpg (54 KB, 620x391) Image search: [Google]
covert action.jpg
54 KB, 620x391
>>3173165
I'm addicted as shit to Covert Action. It's been a while since a game made me skip work just to stay home and play. I was really excited to replay turok at 60fps with no fog too. Yea, Night Dive is badass.
>>
>>3173176

I first checked them out when I saw they brought Turok to Steam, noticed they had a few other games I really like but had bought on gog already, and decided to try two that I hadn't played before (Strife and Harvester). Both games were great, especially Strife. Going to get a few more of their cheaper games while the sale is up and snag System Shock too. Turok I'm still waiting on a bigger price cut for, I ain't paying more than 5 bucks for something I played on my N64 2 decades ago.
>>
Mad props to these guys. I'm playing through the enhanced edition of SS1 at the moment and it's great that they drag these old games out from the cobwebs.

I am really hype for their upcoming System Shock remake though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPLF9Ad9ns
>>
File: header.jpg (38 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
38 KB, 460x215
>>3173165
I bought Z.A.R. on Steam, never even heard of the game until these guys published it. It's great so far.
>>
It's cool that they make some of these great titles popular among young audiences.
On the other hand, System Shock Portable had been available for free for a decade. Even the Looking Glass guys played it on stream then suddenly these guys buy the IP and now you have to buy it again.
>>3173217
Night Dive Studios didn't drag anything out from the cobwebs, the community did, you just didn't notice/care without marketing.
>>
MonkeyPaw Games is pretty cool too.
>>
>>3173165
Tehy pulled down PowerslaveEX - a port of Powerslave by Kaiser Villareal. Kaiser had an agreement with copyright holder, then Night Dive bought out the rights and forced Kaiser to either work on it under them or abandon the project. The further fate of Powerslave EX is unknown.
>>
File: peperee.jpg (129 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
peperee.jpg
129 KB, 900x900
>Still no proper invert mouse in System Shock 1
>>
>>3173259

>In 2097, the mining of minerals and other natural resources is completely automated and controlled by supercomputers. The planets that are mined for 'Iberium', an essential mineral to control pollution on Earth, are called Z.A.R.; Zones for Artificial Resources.

Really? "Iberium"?
>>
>>3174142

It's for the greater good. Now we get a Steamworks version of Exhumed.
>>
>>3173165
>and trading cards

back to >>>/v/
>>
>>3175204

Shut the fuck up, pussy. Trading cards and badges are cool.
>>
>>3175230
>Giving money to Valve for a badge/level literally made out of nothing that says you are one of the cool kids
>Letting yourself be cucked by Valve like this

Sure buddy.
>>
>>3175335

>don't talk about anything, it offends me
>>
>>3175352

>mad that he isn't one of the cool kids
>so cucked and beta that he's too afraid to show his appreciation of a game by collecting its cards and crafting the badge for all to see on his profile
>>
>>3175230
no trading cards and badges are stupid. Years of service is the only prestige to a steam account.
>>
>>3175386

You're just mad that you're <10
>>
>>3175418
I'm level 13 because I have an 11 year account, trading cards are stupid and the only thing they are good for is selling to suckers so I can buy actual games.
>>
>>3175371
>m-maybe if I strawman people will think I'm smart
>>
>>3175063
>Now we get a Steamworks version of Exhumed.
Kaiser said, we won't.
>>
>>3175439

>counter-strike babby calling other things stupid
>>
>>3175375
>>mad that he isn't one of the cool kids

I'm level 21 and I regret falling for that pathetic meme, I wish I could uncraft them, I feel like a stupid newfag, nevertheless I only exchanged cards, never spent an actual cent.

>so cucked and beta that he's too afraid to show his appreciation of a game by collecting its cards and crafting the badge for all to see on his profile

I show my appreciation by buying only the things I really like and by playing the games making the most of them or getting the achievements (except when the achievements are too autistic). The thing is that you are a faggot that buys every single bundle full of crap just to have more gaymes, and because that isn't enough for your attention whore needs, you also need to spend money on virtual cards/badges, you are even worse than MMORPG players.

>>3175439
I started doing this, I think I got 30 dollars or more worth of selling those shitty cards to losers, and bought decent games with it (not items for games though, that I think is pathetic).
>>
Strife is good because the community has been working on it for a decade, but Turok looks like it plays nothing like the original game.
>>
>>3176193
>I think I got 30 dollars or more worth of selling those shitty cards
Your standard card sells for 7-10 cents, and you get what 3-4 cards per game? Not sure.
That means you paid for around 100 games on steam that drop cards alone.
Talk about "faggot buying every single bundle full of crap".
>>
>>3176326
>Your standard card sells for 7-10 cents, and you get what 3-4 cards per game? Not sure.

Tha drops are 50%+1 of the total set, so the range is 3-7 cards per game, the price depends very much on the game, Killing Floor cards cost 6-9 cents and The Moon cards range 23-30 cents.

>That means you paid for around 100 games on steam that drop cards alone.

The average newfag user nowadays that used it for a couple of years has +300 games, I have around 150 from 5 year account and half of those were from giveaways (free games with card drops), I never bought crap just because it was cheap.

Also some of the games bought with the cards (on sales) had more cards, so was almost like getting back part of my money (ie Super Meat Boy at 2.50USD with money from card drops, each card from that games costs 15-25 cents).
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
I wouldn't have known about Strife if they didn't re-release it. Even on /vr/, nobody talks about this game. It's one of the best FPS of the 90s, better in my opinion than even Duke.
>>
>>3175335
>shilling
>on /vr/

Nobody fucking posts here.
>>
>>3175335
>"Mad props" fell out of popular vernacular before 4chan was even around.

That's because "mad props" was in their vernacular when it was around dummy.

>We

xD
>>
>>3173217
I'm not sure about the SS1 remake.
From the trailer it seems like they're trying to make it more scary, and the original really isn't that scary, it feels more like Die Hard in space than Alien.
>>
>>3177121
>Even on /vr/, nobody talks about this game.

Bullshit.
https://desustorage.org/vr/search/subject/Strife/
>>
>>3177142
Are you actually this dumb or just a terrible shillposter?
>>
>>3177558
I'm sure most people here might have grown up using "mad props" at the height its popularity and who made you the official anti-shillmeister representative of /vr/ to speak for "us"?
>>
>>3177554

>5 threads total, none from before Veteran Edition was released
>most recent was 2 months ago
>only one of them really has a discussion going on
>they were probably all made by the same guy
>>
>>3175352
>not selling your cards to make a future game purchase cheaper
>>
>>3175335
Holy shit it's the king of /vr/.
>>
>>3177712
But is exactly what I used to do anon.

I haven't used Steam for a while though.
>>
File: 1461817087747.jpg (40 KB, 754x960) Image search: [Google]
1461817087747.jpg
40 KB, 754x960
>>3175335
I'll say Mad Props whenever I want bucko!
>>
File: walken.gif (2 MB, 326x210) Image search: [Google]
walken.gif
2 MB, 326x210
I dig 'em. They should get their hands on some 90s adventure games that have been lost in the obscure ie. Ripper, Phantasmagoria, and SpyCraft. They already recovered Noctropolis and Harvester, which is great.
>>
>>3175335
>We don't use exclamation marks here, or anywhere on 4chan, really.

I admit that's a spot-on.
>>
>>3178401

Phantasmagoria is already out on GoG. The sequel too
>>
>>3173165
I assume they're the ones that tried to take down system shock portable so that they could make a few bucks off of their shittier version?
if so they can eat shit
>>
They teased Terminator: Future Shock on their twitter.

Alright in my books.
>>
>>3178870
They mainly did that because the full game used to be included with SSP for free.
>>
File: terminator 2029.jpg (116 KB, 640x806) Image search: [Google]
terminator 2029.jpg
116 KB, 640x806
>>3179014
That would be awesome. There's also some other Terminator games I wish could be revived like Terminator 2029 and SkyNet. Though I wonder if they could ever sell these games with the name Terminator on them.
>>
>>3177121
Would love a sequel or remake of Strife. Though they'd probably have to give it a new name, thanks to that shitty MOBA.
>>
>>3175352
>not playing Stock Market Simulator
>not investing in a high enough level to receive free money on a weekly basis
The real cuck is you.
>>
>>3173165
>tfw even they couldn't save NOLF
>tfw you will never own it digitally
Why even live?
>>
>>3173165
>Is Night Dive Studios the publisher /vr/ deserves?
>bringing them to Steam
no
>>
>bringing them to Steam
>not consoles
No.
>>
>>3181019
you want a publisher to program? Especially reverse engineering stuff that doesn't have its sources available? You're out of your mind
>>
>>3181023
The resources are there, they just are fucking lazy and aren't willing to do it.
>>
>>3181032
>The resources are there
what resources? plenty of game design documents are gone, source is gone, assets sources are gone. You'd have to re-write the whole thing, or try to make something like DOSBox work on a console. Neither is a trivial feat, at all.
>>
>>3181015

They put them on GoG too

>>3181019

>consoles
>most of their games are point & click adventures, PC RPGs, or first-person shooters

What's the point?
>>
>>3181049
>They put them on GoG too
apparently OP didn't give a shit about that tiny little detail. Idiots all around

>What's the point?
the sharp end of a stabby weapon, but that's not important right now
>>
>>3181007
>Wasting tons of dollars to level up so you increase the chances of getting a booster set
>Having to wait months/years to get back the amount you wasted in case you decide to sell them
>You are so much of an attention whore that you probably craft more badges instead

Back to >>>/v/ faggot.
>>
>people actually like point & clicks
lol
>>
>>3181087
You sound like you had a console
>>
>>3181087

They're the most immersive games
>>
>>3173165
>Steam,
>>>/g/
>>>/shills/
>>>/b/
>>>/thatfeelsthatmodsallowthissummershilling/
>>
File: covert action.jpg (43 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
covert action.jpg
43 KB, 460x215
They should remaster more games and maybe add achievements, cards etc. breathe new life to them.
>>
>>3177482
The first game is plenty scary, all the times wall panels would slide back to show enemies were the equivalent of jump scares.
>>
File: 1432152341461.jpg (97 KB, 474x474) Image search: [Google]
1432152341461.jpg
97 KB, 474x474
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Dive_Studios

Acquisitions 2016:
Turok 2: Seeds of Evil
PowerSlave
D
Titanic: Adventure Out of Time
Forsaken

Aaaw yeeeah.
>>
>>3183562
>PowerSlave

inb4 it's the console version and they don't do anything with the superior PC DOS version.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.