[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good calculators to play retro games on, /vr/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8
File: ti_84.jpg (65 KB, 600x537) Image search: [Google]
ti_84.jpg
65 KB, 600x537
What are some good calculators to play retro games on, /vr/?
>>
>>3172609
Since this is here, I'll post a really decent video about the history of the ubiquity of the TI graphing calculators in the USA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0
>>
>>3172609
>ti-84 plus

Not retro
>>
>>3172620
Oh fuck off. We discuss emulation devices here all the time.
>>
>>3172620
The game being played is retro though, you dumb rulecuck.
>>
What is the point beyond novelty?
>>
>>3172647
Playing games in math class discreetly without being seen on your phone or with a handheld.
>>
>>3172653
OK, what is the point for someone who isn't underage?
>>
>>3172658
>implying only underage go to college
Well meme'd :^)
>>
The Ti-84 can't really do emulation well, but the nspire has a few decent emulators. I usually play Pokémon on mine.
>>
>>3172687
>Playing videogames in university math classes
>implying you won't be obvious as fuck because nobody has their graphing calculator out during lecture

You don't even sound like you've ever been to college.
>>
>>3172750
>implying it has to be a math class
>implying some teachers give a fuck
Sounds like you haven't been to college
>>
>>3172758
sounds like you're lazy
>>
>>3172687
Not the guy you were responding to, but I only used a graphing calculator in high school. I passed out of the math classes in my college program thanks to my performance on the entrance exams.

That said, I totally buy the idea of people using graphing calculators in college math classes, and using them to discreetly play video games. Hell, I had Tetris on my TI-83 in high school.
>>
>>3172773
No just have to go to class for certification in my apprenticeship program, theres a bit of engineering and general math so I can see the calculator being used for games very easily without drawing attention not that the teacher would give a fuck since s\he's getting paid either way
>>
>>3172776
No, no one in college fucking does this. And if they were to do anything, they'd just bring a ds in or a tablet or laptop and play on it. No one uses a calculator for games, I'm graduating with a bachelors in Biochem and have not seen one human do this with a calculator in any of my classes.
>>
>>3172620
>the tism

>>3172653
Why bother go if you aren't going to learn? I'm all for playing games on calculators and have a few TIs myself but I wouldn't sit in class and do it. Certainly not in a big boy class.
>>
>>3172821
Lectures are boring, but mandatory. I learn better on my own.
>>
>>3172620
It has a Z-80 CPU, which is pretty damn retro.
>>
>>3172620
>4chan is NOT RETRO! Everybody OUT!
>>
Fucking autistic Christ. Seems like this topic was started as a novelty for emulation on an atypical device ...now this
>>
DOOM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVUsYRVRbw&src_vid=ZLn-vnbrPXg&annotation_id=annotation_591458&feature=iv
>>
>>3172854
>emulation on an atypical device
Actually, the TI-84 CPU, a Z-80, really doesn't have the horsepower to emulate much of anything and these games are native implementations.

One interesting possibility would be to port the 1970s CP/M OS to these Z-80 calculators, as it runs ancient text adventure games and originally ran on a slower version of the same Z80.
>>
>>3172903
On a similar note, I've always wanted to try porting CP/M to a GBC, since it also uses a (modified) Z80.
>>
>>3172758
>>3172790
The post specifically mentions math class which is why we're talking about math class. And it has nothing to do with whether your teacher gave a fuck. You'll look like a dipshit to pretty much everyone in the room because it looks like you're trying to be sneaky when it's painfully obvious you're not paying attention which negates
>>3172653
this as a response to
>>3172647
this.
You might as well just pull out your phone at that point. You should also learn how argumentation works by taking class Remedial Logic 99 while you're at it.

>>3172776
They don't. You wanna fuck around in class you use a laptop, everyone fucking has one. If you want to make it as obvious as possible that you're screwing off then nothing is better than having your eyes buried in a graphing calculator of all things.
>>
>>3172619
Pretty interesting video, and confirmed my assumption that the TI calculators are basically a racket even moreso than textbooks.

I don't know how the fuck that doesn't constitute a monopoly when almost all schools require a TI-83 or 84 model and forbid any other one, especially for standardized tests. Imagine if these institutes required a certain brand of pencil or pen, every other manufacturer would either go out of business or have to cut down on production significantly. There's really no other explanation for how they can get away with continuing to sell technology that costs probably $2 to make at over $100.

Not that I'm really mad or anything because you buy one of these things and it will probably last you for the rest of eternity as long as you don't drop it or lose it. But it's just really funny to me that these guys have such a stranglehold on the market that schools won't even allow any alternative brand whatsoever.
>>
>>3173043
Because most normalfags know you can play videogames on calculators, right?
>>
>>3172973
Good luck getting CPM to be useful at all on a device that has no keypad at all.
>>
>>3173365
Yeah, actually. Shit, it was a big hype when I was in high school. First thing we did when we needed graphing calculators was put shitty games on them.
>>
>>3173382
I can get it to read a ps/2 keyboard over the link port.

LSDJ does it.
>>
>>3172609
TI-nspire CX CAS is pretty good.
>>
Uncle Worm, Snood, Wolfenstein 3d, a garbage Super Mario port, and of course, block stack, aka tetris.
>>
>>3173365
You should hope they do. At least then they'll see you as a lazy hipster cunt. If they think you're actually frantically calculating away the entire lesson they'll think you're a fucking insane cunt.
If the teacher doesn't give a fuck use a phone. At least then you can tell people your messaging or some shit and you won't look like such a freak. Just a obsessive clingy cunt.
I think the take away from this is that you're going to look like some kind of a cunt it's just a question of what kind.
>>
>>3174937
>If they think you're actually frantically calculating away the entire lesson they'll think you're a fucking insane cunt.
Sounds funny, I'll have to play my calculator in classes more often.
>>
>>3173043
omg no one cares stfu already
>>
>last week we had a PDA thread
>this week a calculator thread

retro territory is ever expanding
>>
>>3172642
Threads about them get deleted all the time too, the mods are capricious and often stupid
>>
>>3176760
>expanding
Nope. People are just posting non-retro stuff.
>>
>>3177020
The computer you're posting from isn't retro. Fuck off.
>>
>>3177038
>tfw you will never browse 4chan and post from a TI-83
>>
>>3177038
>implying I'm not posting from my Saturn
>>
File: b1cGaXe.png (178 KB, 500x337) Image search: [Google]
b1cGaXe.png
178 KB, 500x337
Why would you play games on a calculator when you could do math with it?
>>
>>3177714
>not playing math games
>>
>>3177038
>WAHHHH! I want muh ps2 thredz
>>
>>3177864
You do know a PS2 thread would not get deleted if it's used to talk about playing PSX games on it, right?
>>
File: my face when.jpg (25 KB, 323x400) Image search: [Google]
my face when.jpg
25 KB, 323x400
Do underagefags even play games on calcs? Don't they all have phones and tablets and whatnot?
>>
Why do Americans need such expensive calculators for school? It seems unnecessary for secondary school level maths. In secondary school and even at uni (on my course at least, probably not all of them) we just used these calculators that are dirt cheap. In fact on my computer science course this is the only model we're allowed to use. Feels good man.
>>
>>3178072
Because you need graphing calculators for college-level maths and nothing else but TI-84's are allowed because they have a monopoly on school calculators in America.
>>
>>3178072
we got given these for free when we moved into secondary.

my disappointment when i realized that just because it had a dot-matrix-y display didn't mean it was programmable (and thus could be used to play games in class) was palpable.
>>
>>3178072
It's not limited to America. Here in Germany some pupils are also forced to get expensive calculators that serve no real purpose any more.
>>
>>3178075
I can understand that for university. I'm pretty sure students taking maths or engineering or similar subjects use similar calculators in university level maths here as well. I don't use it but we don't get that deep into maths with computer science, mainly stuff like set theory and stuff. But I always read about how people use them in high school as well, and I can't really see a graphing calculator being necessary at that level. Here, we're not allowed to use any calculator in A-level exams that is capable of storing formulae or performing symbolic algebra manipulation, differentiation or integration
>>
>>3178086
Yeah, I just use my TI-36x ever since I got out of college. For anything more complicated there's Wolfram Alpha. Don't have to worry about proving I didn't cheat during exams anymore and such.
>>
>>3178072
There is almost no competition in the educational market for these calculators in the US because schools often tell you which brand or specific model you have to buy for a certain course and TI is the most recognized brand
>>
>>3178072
but does it play gaems
>>
>>3178324
Sure, uh, you could...you could add 1+1 and keep adding 1 and see how high that number gets in a hour, then try to beat that record. That's a game you can play on it.
>>
>>3178324
Figure out how many dirty words you can make it say by typing certain numbers then flipping the screen upside down like 58008 -> BOOBS
>>
>>3172647
I could ask the same about CRT monitors.
>>
>>3177993
You do know that's not what I was talking about, right?
You do know your an autistic cunt, right?
>>
>>3172609
I'm not doubting that it's possible to run a GB game on a calculator, but that looks like a shop to me.
>>
>>3179206
>I can tell by some of the pixels
It's coded for the calculator. I don't think it got very far though.
>>
>>3179296
Look at the edges of the image. They're clearly not the same colour as the border area of the LCD.
>>
>>3179206
>>3179296
That Zelda-looking game was indeed a native project (I don't know what happened to it either, the last time I looked at any of that calculator stuff was years ago), but there is also a (working, fairly usable) GB emulator for 83+ series calculators (and for other various higher-end models of course).

The biggest problem that I recall having with it is that the calculator's screen doesn't have enough pixels to display the entire GB screen, so you either have to resample it (making all text unreadable, sprites barely recognizable, etc.) or let it zoom in and crop, which makes it hard to play games that have like OSD elements (Links Awakening etc). I played many hours of pokemon gen I and II on it, though.
>>
>>3179314
>SHOOOOOPPPPP!
Why don't you download it onto your TI and see if it's real?
>>
>>3179314
it's shadowing you dumb fuck.
>>
>>3172758 >>3172773 >>3172750 >>3172687

I'm a lecturer at a university. I don't give even a quarter of a fuck what my students do. Whether they pay attention or not, the blue books will reflect it.
>>
>>3172619
now I'm watching a bunch of these
>>
File: calc.jpg (98 KB, 800x178) Image search: [Google]
calc.jpg
98 KB, 800x178
>>3179850
>>3179867
First: I even said I don't doubt it's possible to play a GB game on a calculator but are you stupid cunts seriously going to argue that this isn't a "simulated image" or "artist's impression"? Because it clearly is. Look at those corners for a start - the join is obvious.

Then there's the fact that a quick Google reveals that the true display area of that model extends further sideways than shown here - so why would there be this strange seam-like disconuity at the edges like this?
>>
>>3179331
>calculator's screen doesn't have enough pixels to display the entire GB screen
Is it ever possible to replicatle all four shades of grey on the calculator screen?
>>
>>3181708
>they faked it in the same studio they faked lance armstrong landing on teh moon.
You're one crazy fuck kid.
As I said, just download it and run it to see if it's real.

>>3181994
It is.
>>
>>3172609
It may sound strange, but there were popular games for this calculator. It has only 10.5 seven-segment positions with dots and minus sign, so you need some imagination to make numbers interesting.
However, there exist simulators of it.
>>
>>3182097
>It is.
Elaborate please.
>>
>>3172609
Quake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFQj32LY4W8
>>
>>3172620
>>
>>3172790
This. No one uses graphing calculators past high school.
>>
>>3182394
It's the only way I passed my discrete math course lel
>>
>>3182394
never taken any math exams at university, huh
>>
>>3182120
It's not really. They just flicker the pixels on and off every frame to simulate 50% gray, every fourth frame for 25% gray, etc.

It works better on the calculator's actual LCD screen than it does on emulators and such, because the screen has a bit of a persistence-of-vision effect, being an old style LCD. Many of the emulators for calculators have a "grayscale" mode that will temporally blend frames so that it looks more like the real thing (so you should be able to test it out that way if you are curious about how it plays).
>>
>>3182417
I am a TA for university physics courses and regularly proctor exams to which students bring calculators. In my experience most of them have scientific calculators, like modernized versions of a TI-30 or equivalent Casio models.

I have occasionally seen graphing calculators, although the modern ones with color screens seem to be more common these days than the TI-84 and TI-89 series that were popular when I was an undergraduate.
>>
>>3172620
>ti-84 plus
>not retro

u know that its the "model 2" of the ti-83 right? and that the 83 came out in 96.

I call it retro.
>>
>grab your calculator
Betty Boop had 69 boobs, that was 2, 2, 2 many so she went to 51 Street to see Doctor X, he gave her 8 pills and now she's...

6922251 x 8 = 55378008

More of a joke I guess, but being a dumb middle-school boy, it was hilarious at the time.
>>
>>3177714
>implying vidya isnt just math to begin with
>>
>>3182653
>you know that the ps2 is the "model 2" of the ps1, right?
You know you're a retarded douche, right?
>>
None because calculators don't have speakers.
>>
>>3182750
Stepping in here, son, because I think you're retarded. TI-84+(SE etc.) is exactly the same calculator as the TI-83(+/SE/etc.), except with expanded onboard flash memory and some new hardware features like a USB port and an RTC.

Those changes seem consistent with changes that are considered to constitute "model 2" of an existing console. Take the PS2 compared to the PS2 Slim. The slim has an added networking port and a different design, but you wouldn't consider it to be a different console than the PS2, right?

To hammer the point home, there is no software, except perhaps very specialized homebrew like demos that take advantage of specific 84+ model hardware features, that runs on one of 84/83 and not the other.
>>
>>3182778
Not entirely true. You can plug a headset (or an adapter for a more standard size) into the 2.5 mm link cable jack, and the emulator will actually produce sound through it.

Here's a video showing a calculator emulator's attempt to replicate that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a9ZhxMREj0
It doesn't sound great, but I see it was posted 7 years ago, so perhaps it has improved somewhat since then.

Here's another video showing the calculator emulator reproducing the grayscale behavior I mentioned somewhere above (somewhat glitchy as it merely blends frames as I mentioned above):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh2Ogyq5uLk
The sound is not authentic; just a soundtrack added by the uploader.

Keep in mind, these are videos of an emulator running an emulator running a game.
>>
>>3172647
>>3172658
There is none.
>>
>>3182781
>they're exactly the same except for all these differences
Yeah, I'm the retarded one.
>>
File: (16).jpg (60 KB, 550x366) Image search: [Google]
(16).jpg
60 KB, 550x366
>28
>went back to school this semester
>dug out my old Ti-83+
>all of my games still on it from high school
>awesome
>whip it out before class starts
>start playing Block Dude
>some people looking at me kind of funny
>realize that everyone around me grew up with smartphones and never knew the joy of playing calculator games

First time I ever felt old.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.