[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Mom, Dad I want a Super Nintendo." >"But
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 17
File: snes.jpg (102 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
snes.jpg
102 KB, 1000x750
>"Mom, Dad I want a Super Nintendo."
>"But you already have a Nintendo anon"
>"Yeah, but this one is better!"
>"How?"
>"It has more graphics!"
>>
>>3171320

>"Mom, Dad I want a Super Nintendo"
>"okay"
>Christmas comes around
>Open my present
>It's a CD-i
>>
>>3171325
>murder-suicide
>>
>>3171325
I seriously doubt that, since the CD-i retailed for more than 3 times the amount of the SNES
>>
File: 1436629171726.gif (432 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1436629171726.gif
432 KB, 500x377
>Want a PlayStation
>Ask for a Super Nintendo
>Get a Playstation
>>
File: 1048.jpg (29 KB, 300x411) Image search: [Google]
1048.jpg
29 KB, 300x411
>"Mom, Dad, I want a Mega Drive for Christmas"
>Christmas comes
>Get Mega Drive
Wasn't even rich.
>>
>"No"

>"Grandma I want a Super Nintendo"
>"OK honey!"

Being spoiled by granny as a kid was great. I also got a Genesis, a 3DO, PS1, N64, Saturn, Game Boy, Game Gear and more stuff I'm probably forgetting.
I never felt going as far as to ask for a Neo Geo but I think she would have bought it for me.
>>
>>3171332
Well duh. Genesis/Mega Drive was the poor kid's console.
>>
>>3171328

They dropped the price significantly with every model.
>>
File: Neo_Geo_AES_logo.png (39 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Neo_Geo_AES_logo.png
39 KB, 800x600
>>3171338
>SNESbabbies calling other people poor

HA HA HA

Compared to me, you are all poor!
>>
>>3171338
You forget about being poor when BLAST PROCESSING gives you your first boner.
>>
>>3171339
but the Super NES was dropping in price too, so still there was never a point where a CD-i was the cheaper option.
>>
>>3171346

Who said anything about cheaper option?
>>
File: pg24.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1392) Image search: [Google]
pg24.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1392
>>3171341

Neo Geo only worked if you were an actual rich person who could afford every console in the market. Otherwise if you were a kid stuck with a Neo Geo was kind of bad. Getting arcade games at home is great but at one point you want to play something else besides SNK fighting games. Also each Neo Geo game costed more or less as much as other consoles.

At least it included 4-Dimensional graphics and real life-sized characters though, so that justified the price.
>>
>>3171349
I did, because once again I seriously doubt that anon asked for an SNES and instead got a more expensive system.
>>
> See Tron in the theater
> Officially obsessed with video games
> Pac Man at Grocery store every time with mom
> Dug Dug at bar every time with Dad
> Great aunt gets me an RCA Studio II at a yard sale and we actually play that turd extensively
> Christmas finally comes a million years later (Tron was a summer release)
> Sears Telegames VCS (mom worked at Sears)

Every other console after that I had to buy myself, but I got some parental subsidy for the NES and Genesis

You guys are getting pretty young on here
>>
>>3171363
I think you'll find 80s babies are at least the plurality here. 1985 here.
>>
>>3171350
That looks way too fucking good. But i would never pay more than 20$ for a game. I always get the discounted greatest hits titles
>>
>>3171363
>Great aunt gets me an RCA Studio II at a yard sale and we actually play that turd extensively
Hope it was fun
>>
What is that purple abomination supposed to be? Is that like a Polystation?
>>
>Mom, Dad, I want video games of any kind for Christmas
>no because Focus on the Family says that video games are Satan

And that's how I developed a complex.
>>
>>3171395
My imagination and my grandma and great aunt playing it with me made it fun enough but the VCS was much more fun. My dad never played the Studio II but he played the VCS with me all the time

>>3171364
> People who's first console may well have been the SNES are 30
Fuck. I'm glad I finally got married and had a kid or else shit like that might be way depressing
>>
The only console I've gotten as a present was SNES at the ripe age of 8.
Every one since then I've had to buy myself, including PS1 at the age of around 10
>>
>>3171338
The Genesis was ass. The SNES had all the better version of ports and the genesis had no good exclusives
>inb4 muh phantasy star
>>
>>3171482
Mortal Kombat would like to talk to you
>>
>>3171406

Are you a Satan-worshipping lunatic now? Or did you turn gay to spite FotF? Are you unable to play video games without fear of persecution?
>>
>"Mom, Dad, I want a Super Nintendo."
>"Then save up for one, son."
>"Oh, ok."

And then a year later I bought one myself, and my folks unexpectedly went halfsies on it so I could buy a second game with it.

I think it was good parenting, a mix of discipline and indulgence.
>>
>>3171482
>he posted it again!
>>
>tfw I asked for a Dreamcast too late
>Got a PS1 instead
>>
>>3171487
The shitty controller makes mortal kombat less fun on the genesis.
>>
>>3171520
>ask for current gen console
>get last gen console
>>
>>3171320
My parents never bought me any consoles. My brother bought himself one and I was allowed to play sometimes. Turns out he was my half-brother.
>>
>>3171482
>Earthworm Jim
>>
>>3171320
>more graphics
Most kids in your situation did like that stupid AVGN episode that the rest of the conversation seems to be taken from, but like him they instead said, "But this one is 16 bit!" "What does that mean?" "Uh... I dunno..."

Then a lot of us did what I had to do at 11 years of age or so and save up allowance money and mow lawns and buy that shit ourselves after it became old and was no longer impressive and the set came with Super Mario World and a separate Mario All Stars cart.
>>
>>3171328
some european families just trusted european brands more
>>
>>3171406
>have Jehovas Witness mom
>she buys me PS1 and Tekken 3
>all the other jovo kids have super strict parents that won't let them play Tekken 3
>I'm their new Jehova whenever I smuggle my game to their place

I love you mom. I'll even forgive you for torturing me by not getting me a memory card.
>>
>>3171320
>"But you already have a videogame anon"
>"Yeah, but this one is better!"
>"How?"
>"Street Fighter"

Really, the console was only released here in 1993 and I'm pretty sure SF and MK along with International Superstar Soccer were the main reasons for its success in my country.
>>
>"darling, what do you want for christmas?"
>"a super nintendo would be cool"
>"okay"

Thanks, mom.
>>
>Dad I want a Megadrive
>"ok I'll give you a few cents every day and by the end of the year if you didn't fail school I'll let you buy it"
>I fail school
>"ok you can buy it anyway"

6 months later i exchanged it for a snes (plus money on my side)
>>
>>3171493
>Are you a Satan-worshipping lunatic now?
Nah. I'm more or less agnostic now.

>Or did you turn gay to spite FotF?
No. I'm gender dysphoric as fuck though

Are you unable to play video games without fear of persecution?
No, plus I'm dating a grill who likes games too, so it's not a problem.
>>
>>3171495
>And then a year later I bought one myself, and my folks unexpectedly went halfsies on it so I could buy a second game with it.

Can I go back in time and trade childhoods with you? Do you still like your folks?
>>
>>3171320
>Never even asked for a Super Nintendo
>Never played or even saw a video game in my life.
>Super excited for Christmas. I can't wait to see what Santa brought me
>rip the paper off a giant box
>It was the Super Nintendo that came packaged with Super Mario All Stars

My life was changed forever, that Christmas.
>>
>>3172524
Yeah, I like my folks. They just bought out some artist's life's work and are making a business out of it, and if it takes off, in 5 years they'll hand it over to me to run, let me actually use my degree now that I'm out of the Armed Forces.
>>
>>3171482
Truxton
>>
>>3172707
Hi Mark. Glad you didn't quit making your show.
>>
>decide to not be greedy last year
>only ask for xbox one and bmw
>get a shitty chrysler, wiiu and gtx 980 instead

My parents literally hate me.
>>
>"mom, dad I want a PS2"
>"aren't those kinda expensive?"
>"well can I get a PSX then?"
>"They're old now that there's a second one right?"

I just had my older sister's atari and SNES until 2006
>>
File: greatmazvsgetterrg3.png (110 KB, 426x240) Image search: [Google]
greatmazvsgetterrg3.png
110 KB, 426x240
>Want Sega Genesis for Christmas but pretty sure I'm not getting one.
>Christmas eve go to Grandparents house.
>Open gift in a small box
>Its a Sega Genesis game (Shadow Blasters)
>Think, damn they thought Sega Genesis was a game I could play on my NES.
>Try not to act hugely disappointed
>Show appreciation for the gift but try to explain that I can't play this on my NES
>smuggrandparents.jpg
>Oh look Anon, you missed a present behind the tree
>large box
>Its a muthafuckin Sega Genesis 16 bit High Definition Graphics with blast processing
>my Grandparents pulled a "Christmas Story" on me
>best Christmas ever
>still have that Genesis

I love and miss you forever Gramma and Grampa
>>
>>3171320
>"Mom, Dad I want a Super Nintendo"
>"Why do you waste some much money on games"
>"Because it's my money. I have a a job. I earned it. I can do what I want with it"
>"Still seems like a waste. But if you're responsible enough to earn your own money I guess you're responsible enough to spend it. Thank God we didn't wait too long to have kids and end up with millennials"
True story
>>
>>3172801
You're a millennial m8.
>>
>>3172785
QQ
My parents weren't that cool.

I only had a SNES, and I remember pretty much doing an 'oh my god' freakout and then living in the den and shutting out my family for like two days playing zelda.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>3172785
>Genesisfag
>cool grandparents
>Great Mazinger vs. Getter G

I like you, anon.
>>
>>3171320
>"Mom, I want a Nintendo 64"
>"Only if you trade in all of your old games"
I never got a Nintendo 64
>>
>>3172803
>i know you are but what am i
What do you even call the shit too underage to be a millennial?
>>
>>3173147
think they're called post millennials or some inane name
>>
>>3172785
My parents kind of did this when they got me my playstation. They wrapped up FF7 with the strategy guide and had me open that first, then brought out the bigger playstation box about 15 mins after I was done unwrapping other random christmas gifts. Had me panicking a bit thinking they got me the game but didn't know enough to get the system it went to.

>Oh you're not gonna be able to play the new game? That sucks son.
>Surprise motherfucka
>>
>>3172805
>that filename
>>
>>3173147
Post-millennials. They don't have a glib name for that generation just yet. Millennials are more or less defined as being under the age of 18 as of January 1, 2000.
>>
>>3173510

it's called Generation Z.
>>
>>3173514
No publications are using that, since no publications are using Generation Y anymore.
>>
>>3173521

I just searched and there's an article on Forbes from 2 days ago that talk about Gen Z and their "technological coming" and stuff.
Put "gen Z" on google images and you get millions of pics of babies holding phones and stuff, it's hilarious.
>>
>>3173526
Good christ, you're right, some publications are using it, though many American ones are suggesting "iGeneration." Clearly overestimating the popularity of Apple products outside of the US as usual, but I note that outside of the US post-millennial seems to be the hot term.
>>
>>3173635
>dank /pol/ memes

pretty sure you're the one who belongs in the oven m8
>>
>ask Santa for N64
>Mom says "I don't know, Santa might not have any" because they were sold out
>tell Mom "I guess I wasn't a good enough boy this year..."
>Mom feels sorry and calls friends everywhere
>Finds an N64 in Oklahoma that is willing to be shipped to Florida
>open it on Christmas morning for the greatest present ever

I d-didn't mean to guilt her...
>>
>>3171338
it really was, i had one too when my family didnt have much money.

then again i bought a saturn
>>
>>3171320
My parents were immigrants and were largely ignorant of how games worked so when we got a Nintendo, we got a Nintendo with Mario/Duck Hunt and that was it.
You got a -Nintendo- not the Nintendo for games. We still rented stuff though, that's how I got to play TMNT the arcade game and stuff.
My Dad would help other families get their citizenship and stuff, so when this other poor family showed up we gave them the Nintendo to kind of ease the transition to a new country.
Fast forward a few years and the same thing happens. I get the Super Nintendo Donkey Kong set and it was my only game for yeaaars.
Until the 64 came out.
I had a bunch of rich cousins that got it immediately. They would gloat about how the graphics were so sick and one of my cousins even claimed he got "graphics sickness" cause it looked so good.
I mention to them I only have the Super Nintendo and they laugh at me, mentioning how they will never play theirs again. They give me a stack of Super games:
Zelda, Mario World/All Stars, Secret of Mana, Pocky & Rocky, NBA Jam TE, and a bunch of other stuff.
I still have them to this day and it sparked my collector curiosity forever.
Except for that Pocky & Rocky, another cousin stole that for heroin money.
>>
>>3173726
>cousin stole that for heroin money.
fucker
>>
File: 1445225535040.png (44 KB, 753x772) Image search: [Google]
1445225535040.png
44 KB, 753x772
>dad can I have a PlayStation like my cousin?
>wouldn't you rather a psp?
>no dad, I'd rather have a ps2
In retrospect it was the better choice, even if the x360 was just about to come out, or already had I don't exactly remember.
>>
>>3173748
>pic
I don't get it.
>>
My parents (mostly my Dad) always seemed biased against Nintendo for some reason. I would ask for a new N64, but I would end up getting a Genesis (still awesome though). Couple years later I still didn't get a N64, but instead a PSX. I never did get a Nintendo system until I traded in most my Christmas shit at Toys R Us for a GBA SP. Next year they decided to buy me a GameCube.
>>
>>3173964
>psx instead of an n64
Good
>>
File: 1455912221691.jpg (2 MB, 3538x3424) Image search: [Google]
1455912221691.jpg
2 MB, 3538x3424
>>3171320
X-mas
>go into living room
>brother already playing super mario world.
>since 3:00 am approx.
>>
File: thai-cuisine.jpg (152 KB, 499x684) Image search: [Google]
thai-cuisine.jpg
152 KB, 499x684
>>3171406
/tg/ here. We had to deal with that shit in spades.

Not fun.
>>
>>3174004
>smutna żaba. Jpeg
Kurwa
>>
File: dwarven_maidens_by_shabazik.jpg (360 KB, 1099x1352) Image search: [Google]
dwarven_maidens_by_shabazik.jpg
360 KB, 1099x1352
>>3174027
>tfw mom was /tg/
>>
>>3174056
Thankfully my parents were were moderate evangelicals and would say "eh, whatever; you're mature enough to handle it" when it came to D&D and Harry Potter, but I had friends who were hit really hard with the muh satinism paddle.
>>
>>3171406
same but my grandparents would also play the Satan card with cartoons, toys, and music.
>>
>>3174102
Which cartoons and which toys?
>>
>>3172080

Brazil heuhauhaua
>>
>>3174153
Basically anything that wasn't on PBS. As for toys, if it wasn't shit like Lincoln logs or plastic cowboys and indians it got burned. I remember one specific time one of my friends at school gave me some pokemon cards, when I got home with them my grandma bitch slapped me, followed up with some peach tree tea so bad I couldn't hardly sit for a week. That night she had me throw the cards in one at a time to the stove.
>>
>>3173774
It's making fun of stackoverflow solutions.

Like, someone will ask how to do something in a programming language, and someone will recommend a library that will do it for you. But the asker didn't really learn anything.

It like asking someone how to fix a leaky faucet and they say "hire a plumber."

I'm not sure how it's related to his post though.
>>
>>3172801
>anybody using the term "millennials" in the 90s

So you bought an SNES sometime in or after 2014?
>>
>>3173521
There are still publications?
>>
>ask for NES
>parents get me NES for Christmas
>apparently some miscommunication happened between my parents and grandparents
>so grandparents didn't realize parents already bought me something big like that
>grandparents meant to get me an NES but they make a mistake and end up getting me a Master System
>which I had no idea even existed since I wasn't allowed to buy gaming mags for being "a waste of paper"

Was pretty cool. Still have that NES and MS.

>>3173561
>Clearly overestimating the popularity of Apple products outside of the US as usual

To US publications if it's outside the US then it doesn't matter. For example any time there's a bombing in Europe they only ever report on it, beyond saying it happened anyway, if Americans are involved somehow. Over 200 Europeans could die but they'll only ever talk about the Americans that were kinda close by and "mentally traumatized" by seeing the attack.
>>
My family got poorer as time went on.

When I was born (as the 2nd son) we already had an Atari in the household, so I assume it was bought fairly early on.
The NES was a xmas gift, new in box, bought during its prime.
The GENESIS was a xmas gift a few years into the console's life (it was the Sonic 2 package), but was still new in box.
SNES was a random gift during easter, it was also a few years into the console's life and bought used at a flea market, came in a LttP set box, but dealer took out the game and replaced it with Street Fighter II, which always bugged me because LttP looked like a much better game.

From that point onward, I had to buy consoles myself, and never at launch, always waited for price drops.

Also, we could barely afford games, even during the NES. We would usually get one or two games every xmas if we were lucky, (one for me, one for my brother) and that's it, I pretty much had to depend on renting or borrowing games from other kids in the neighborhood to escape boredom. I think SNES was the worst offender in that regard, a game like Mario I could play over and over when I didn't have anything better, but SFII is fucking boring in single player, and few people wanted to play with me because I was better than them, not that I became some sort of tourneyfag mind you, but more because I eventually learned how to pull basic special moves like the Hadoken, the concept of a QCF on a gamepad was alien to them. I think it took like 2 xmas until we got new games and they were DKC2 and Yoshi's Island.
>>
ha fucking nerds i buy my own consoles and pc's
>>
>>3174737
Is that what you told your mom on Christmas Eve 1992?
>>
>>3173194
>>3173510
>>3173514
Thanks. None of those seem to be used that much. I guess they're too young to have started fucking things up too much so they don't get much press?
>>
>>3171350
>15 channel sound
>>
>>3172785
>>3173207
My grandmother/parents did this shit to me with the N64. I opened Super Mario 64 Christmas morning, saw I had no other presents, and asked if they had kept the receipt so I could return it for something else. They couldn't afford the console, and I knew that. "Sure, anon, but the store's closed on Christmas. We'll go tomorrow. Sorry, we didn't realize."
See my grandmom later that day and unwrapped the N64 she bought for me.
Fuck you, Mom and Dad, you knew all along and made me think I was returning that game the next day.
>>
File: potato.png (17 KB, 791x251) Image search: [Google]
potato.png
17 KB, 791x251
>>3174926
>i don't know what an audio channel is
>>
File: 1459835105673.jpg (99 KB, 674x634) Image search: [Google]
1459835105673.jpg
99 KB, 674x634
>>3172785
>>3175460
Damn your grandparents were cool, mine are old as fuck, born in the 20s and just gave me shitty tiger electronics for christmas. One year I got a Gameboy Color with Super Mario Land 2(which isn't even a GBC game) and another kid from some distant side of the family got the same except POKEMON FUCKING BLUE and that's when Pokemon was fucking huge. They shafted me hard but I still convinced him to let me borrow it for a couple months. Still I was pissed and I still stand by it, but they were trying to play it off like "santa didn't have anymore Pokemon games". Fucking bitches killed my child social life forever.
>>
File: milhouse.jpg (23 KB, 400x315) Image search: [Google]
milhouse.jpg
23 KB, 400x315
>tfw my mom never once questioned my desire for video games but I was still a bad son anyway and she's been dead for a decade
>>
>>3177576
>Super Mario Land 2(which isn't even a GBC game)
Neither is Pokemon Blue.
>>
>>3177607
yeah but it had those dank ass palette changes when you went to different cities
>>
>>3177613
No. That was Pokemon Yellow. Red and Blue did not make use of that feature.
>>
File: 8Mi74TdnTUy0pmdEwd8D1A2.gif (194 KB, 500x763) Image search: [Google]
8Mi74TdnTUy0pmdEwd8D1A2.gif
194 KB, 500x763
>>3177669
I don't see any fucking pikachu in these pictures. Unless you meant something else.
>>
File: mmmyes.jpg (37 KB, 235x209) Image search: [Google]
mmmyes.jpg
37 KB, 235x209
>have nes forever
>never had a snes because too expensive
>parents felt bad and got me both an n64 and ps1

mfw I played starfox 64 and legend of the dragoon in the same night
>>
>>3177673
You're right, I take back what I've said. Did some research and that colors did change according to the town visited - as long as you were using the Super Game Boy. GBC, however, did not use the feature.
>>
>>3177706
fucking bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEwczfNHtco&t=2m40s
>>
>>3177682
>legend of the dragoon

My condolence.
>>
>>3177720
http://www.psypokes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=460286
>>
>>3177743
skip ahead in the video, the palette fucking changes
>>
>>3177746
I'm not saying it doesn't. It just doesn't have that feature when played on a GBC. The video you linked is being played through a Game Boy emulator with SGB support. BGB has such a feature.
>>
>>3177765
then where's the border faggot?
>>
>>3177770
You can disable borders in BGB.
>>
>>3177770
It should also be noted that both versions were developed a few years BEFORE the release of the GBC. Red and Blue only got enhancements with the Super Game Boy in mind.
>>
>>3177727
none needed, I love that game
>>
>>3177775
>>3177781
the point is this was the Christmas right after the anime first came to America so Pokemon craze was at its peak. I did remember the blue palette though.
>>
>>3177783
Yeah, the GBC had its own palette setting for the two games. Blue for Pokemon Blue Ver. and Red for Pokemon Red Ver. Unfortunately, there are no other enhancements when played on a GBC, so the colors pretty much stay as red or blue. At least, however, you can use a code on the boot screen to change the palette, but like the default ones the new setting will remain constant throughout the game.
>>
File: 1450809260042.jpg (14 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1450809260042.jpg
14 KB, 480x360
>>3172895
>"Mom, Dad I want a Nintendo 64"
>Get Nintendo 64
NINTENDO SIXTY FOOOOUUUUR!!!
>>
Meanwhile, at marketing:

>"How are we supposed to explain processing power to children"
>"Show, don't tell. They'll draw their own conclusions"

The end
Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.