[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diablo Belzebub or Diablo 2 Median XL ?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 22
File: maxresdefault.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1080
I have finished both Diablo 1/2 and want to replay one of them modded again but which one is better?

Diablo Belzebub or Diablo 2 Median XL ?
I can't decide...
>>
Look up the mod called "Path of exile"
>>
Belzebub seems more true to the original games, it's basically an upgraded D1 with a bunch of shit from D2.

Median XL is the opposite of that. Nothing is there from the original game except the art assets. All the items, quests, skills, etc are new. And the game is pretty hard. More is more and the entire screen is just a barrage of colors later on.

If you want more of the same, play Belzebub, if you want something totally different play Median.

Not retro but maybe try Grim Dawn or PoE. Even D3 is pretty fun for a play through.
>>
>>3170217
>how's that working out for ya
>p-pretty good
>>
>>3170217
toaster won't run it. =^)
>>
>>3170230
probably will go belzebub then. i hate that rainbow thing i see on youtube abd want maximum satanic atmosphere.
>>
You should try Titan Quest op
>>
>>3170161
Do Belzebub.
A lot of purists like to hate on it but Diablo I was the first video game I ever played and I really enjoyed it. The restored quests are pretty neat and some of the smaller touches like townspeople walking around are cute.
>>
>>3170286
>and want maximum satanic atmosphere

not n the mood
>>
File: tfw1460276569406.jpg (231 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tfw1460276569406.jpg
231 KB, 500x500
>>3170294
i was 12 when i bought it. so much fun. people at the store were like are you sure ypu ll be ok? is your english good? it is pretty spooky you know.
>>
>>3170298
I was 6 when I played Diablo for the first time. My dad kept the computer next to a big showcase of monster figures and stuff that he painted when he was younger.
It always creeped me out playing and having a zombies, mummies, werewolves, and Dracula looking right at me.
>>
>>3170305
>when he was younger.
>zombies, mummies, werewolves, and Dracula looking right at me.

Your dad must be ancient.
>>
>>3170314
His dad is james rolfe.
>>
Diablo 2 isn't retro
>>
>>3170390
Shut the fuck up, faggot.
>>
>>3170305
That's kinda cool.
I was the same age when I first played it.

>>3170390
Fuck off.
>>
File: x1461385304398.jpg (99 KB, 557x800) Image search: [Google]
x1461385304398.jpg
99 KB, 557x800
op here.
i got Diablo Belzebub and looks fantastic.
my pondering now is Assassin or Warrior?
>>
>>3171472
Eitherway, get bow as a weapon for your secondary slot.
>>
>>3170390

Welcome to our fickle moderation, where we have generals (/vg/), threads about Deus Ex and Diablo 2 (/v/), debates about television hardware (/g/) and meta arguments about the definition of retro (/s4s/, /trash/), all of which are inexplicably allowed.

Stay awhile and learn.
>>
>>3171501
ok. mace + bow assassin qt masterrace.
>>
>>3171541
Wide-screen d1 mod when?
>>
Meh, I just play vanilla Diablo 1 whenever I get the itch. Which is like twice each year at most.

I do cheat a bit though by using the Gilian stash mod to trade items to my other characters. Fuck it. I play alone anyway.
>>
>>3170250
that anon said MOD path of exile

are u sure you're thinkging the GAME path of exile, which toastesr dont run
>>
File: x1461708738053.jpg (106 KB, 628x836) Image search: [Google]
x1461708738053.jpg
106 KB, 628x836
>>3171593
to be honest i just play it zommed in on 12xx X 6xx .

there is no point to widescreen zoom out on diablo. it breaks the game.
you are not supposed to know what enemy formations lie ahead. part of the atmosphere and suspense.

>>3172130
path of diablo? didn't know about this. might be cool. although prpbably not as satanic as diablo I.
>>
>>3172353
>it breaks the game.
you are not supposed to know what enemy formations lie ahead.

This is why fog of war exists in Diablo in the form of light radius, although feel free to correct me if light radius did not exist in Diablo 1 yet, I don't remember.
>>
File: IMG_0403.jpg (45 KB, 648x484) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0403.jpg
45 KB, 648x484
Sorry for the dumb angle but shit is glossy. I leveled up once, got to floor 2 and he's already here. How the fuck and why was it designed this way?
>>
>>3172615
because he is the Butcher.
>lvled up once
>expects to kill the Butchah
>>
>>3172615
go buy a bow and hide behind bars.
>>
So my save file for Belzebub got corrupted and I lost my dude
Trying to restore my stats using cheat engine or level myself up using it is fucking impossible, how is this shit so hard to edit?

Even when I do get something to work sometimes some weird anti-cheat will kick in and fuck up the game or crash it

This is fucked
>>
>>3172615

If you want to complain try killing the butcher in a 2p game on bnet.
>>
>>3172615
Dat on a PSP or Vita?
Is it the PS1 version?
>>
>>3172387
there is. probably you are right. i got a useless ring yesterday that reduced light radius.
funny how belzebub adds totally useless items. or debuffed items.
you could use them to make it more difficult though. but normal seems tough enough. when you get surrounded by 3-4 enemies ypu are fucked. gotta reposition constantly. it's fun.
>>
>>3173286
how did it happen? =|
>>
>>3173392
Yes, PS1 iso running on Vita.
>>
>>3173446
I found that weird bonus level with the 4 mages on Belzebub, that the treasure map leads you to, and after I killed the final mage I made a town portal and used it, the game crashed, start it back up and my character is called ''Load'' and is a level 1 warrior, not a level 30 Barbarian
>>
File: diablocodec.png (109 KB, 546x290) Image search: [Google]
diablocodec.png
109 KB, 546x290
>mfw I realised why the narrator's voice was familiar
>>
File: 1247392896575.jpg (392 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1247392896575.jpg
392 KB, 1024x768
Did monsters always regenerate health in Diablo?
I don't remember this and in Belzebub they do. Kinda fast too.
>>
>>3174805
Just wait till you get to Hell
The monsters that spam acid at you in mobs of 15+ at huge range, run away whenever you get close and regenerate health all on normal difficulty will make you wanna sudoku
>>
File: 1437828504938.jpg (524 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1437828504938.jpg
524 KB, 1920x1080
>>3174945
>tfw i will probably won't finish the game from frustration
i don't have the patience I had as a kid to grid those games.

lvl 9 now and looking for the butcher at stage 4. I got fucked right when I spawned. The original room of him was on 2 and empty. There is some trickery by Belzebub I think.. he is hiding somewhere else.
>>
>>3171749
I played Diablo to death as a little boy and teen, great game, but Bezlebub adds a lot of new-ish content while keeping the same charm and atmosphere, while adding a few really nice features from D2
>>
>>3174986
Open a TP in his boss room.
>>
File: 1241734030771.jpg (74 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1241734030771.jpg
74 KB, 500x375
what do you do with the books?
do you read all of them?
>>
>>3176094
I read the ones I can.
If I can't or they have maxed out, I sell them.
In Belzebub I put them in the shared storage.
>>
File: x1459982828156.jpg (359 KB, 933x1352) Image search: [Google]
x1459982828156.jpg
359 KB, 933x1352
>>3178194
lvl 9 reporing in.
just killed king leoric and looking for the meat merchant and his chamber.
>>
>>3178697
Are you supposed to do bosses out of order?
>>
>>3178704
no. depends if you have the quest and if you can handle them.
the king was easy at lvl 8 tbqh senpai.
>>
Started Diablo earlier today, first time playing past an hour. I got to the end of the floor 4 which is the conclusion of the cathedral tileset, yet no Butcher. I also noticed there was no dying man in front of the cathedral to give me the quest. I looked it up on wiki and it seems this game has quest pool randomization. It turns out I also got the poisonous water quest instead of the Skeleton King. This seems really weird that I wasn't given lore related quests like these. Does it diminish the experience of a first playthrough?

God bless staff of inferno with like 60 charges, and that one shrine pool with infinite mana replenish.
>>
>>3179960
with belzebub? all those qursts are not optional.. dunno why it does that.
i also went past floor 4 and the meat merchant is hiding. haven't found his chamber yet..
i play brlzebub. i found king leoric the poisoned water and the griswold stone.
aldo the tavern sign but didn't had the quest. when i went back to town the sign dissapeared from my inventory.. =\
>>
>>3179960
In the original game, most quests are given on a randomized basis in a game.

The underlying idea being to give the game more replayability, that you'll have to replay it a few times to see it all (not necessarily to completion).
If you want to more of the cathedral quests before moving on, you'll just have to start a new "game" or "session" with your character. Make sure you don't leave anything nice or important on the ground somewhere.
>>
>>3174446
fuck yes.
>>
>>3175467
i had to look at a guide. damn that is cool. Pepin or someone told me that things are weird in his room.
>>
>>3170390
Yup. What are you gonna do about it? Call the cops?
>>
>>3174446
Paul Eiding has such a powerful voice.
>>
>>3170161
Belzebub is a nice experience but I refer the original
Median XL is cancer
>>
Where can i download this belzebub edition?
>>
reporting in
butcher found. butcher dead.

>>3184241
google diablo hd mod belzebub.
get it feom the official site, i think the latest is v1.45 or something.
>>
>>3181843
Should have talked to Wirt. He tells you exactly what to do.

>>3184241
http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/?download
All you need to do is click on Download for "Diablo 1 HD MOD v1.045"
>>
>>3184263
i did and got what he meant. i was high lvl too so he fell like a bitch.
now the chamber of bones ...well i fell like a bitch.
>>
>>3184268
I think that is my biggest problem with Belzebub. You have to grind a ton to stay alive. I'd rather it was balanced around being able to complete the game in one playthrough if one decided to marathon it from scratch.

It's really a pity because I like all the added content. Except for maybe the Infested Cellar. Cool concept, but the cave tileset makes it so hard to see anything.
>>
How do people feel about The Hell? That's the only Diablo mod I've ever tried. I've been trying for years to get my friends to join me for nodded Diablo but they're life-having pussies.

So am I. Feels bad to grow up.
>>
>>3184280
haven't played the original one for years.
i do remember going back a dungeon to grind a few level ups many times even on the original one.
>>
>>3184486
If you want to grind in vanilla D1 you have to start a new game with your character which resets the entire dungeon.
It's still perfectly possible to play through on one go however.
>>
I wish someone would just do an unlocked resolution Diablo with hardware mouse already. I don't want to wait for Blizzard to do it, because they'll spend at least a few more years fixing Diablo 2.
>>
>>3184304
I remember it as very tedious. I had to restart maps repeatedly to afford anything.
>>
D1 classic is better than belzebub for a single playthrough, belz is just good if you like grinding a lot. The balance is iffy.
>>
>>3184280
>I think that is my biggest problem with Belzebub. You have to grind a ton to stay alive.
That's the original Diablo experience, Belzebub isn't straying away from that.
>>
>>3184304
The Hell is kind of cool, but it's very tedious and really has a way steeper difficulty curve than I personally think is necessary.

It's like Dark Souls except you can't manually block or do evasive maneuvers.

There's also that "-50% Damage From Missiles" thing, which sounds nice to have, but the author explicitly stated that having an equipped item with that effect is necessary or it will be unplayable, and honestly, that's just rubbish game design, if it's vitally necessary, he should just not bother making it a semi common effect and instead halve enemy projectile damage.
>>
for today's standards maybe the grinding seems a lot but it is not even that bad. you just go back clear 1-2 dungeons before again and then you can move on.
>>
Belzebub becomes a total shitfest in the last few floors and on all higher difficulties in general. It goes even further away from the original D1 with the removal of permanent stat-up potions and shrines. Also there's some really wierd shit and questionable balance choices.

And like >>3185747 said, The Hell is just tedious as all hell. They took the "lol hardcore game" meme way too eagerly so it's just a pain in the ass to play.

>>3185738
You didn't have to grind that much in the original D1, except on multiplayer characters when you go onto the higher difficulties. And even then the grinding wasn't really "runs" like you'd do in Diablo 2 or something, it was more like just playing the areas normally multiple times. In Belzebub you have to grind to search for those god-tier gear upgrades that let you not blow over in a stiff breeze and actually be able to harm the enemies.
>>
New player here. How should one approach shrines? I really dig the possibility of negative and permanent shrine effects, gives off a vibe of RPG roots. But I'm actually scared to take any now.
>>
>>3186512
Basically, never use goat shrines or cauldrons or even click anywhere near them just in case, because there's a chance that one of the three REALLY bad effects will happen and you can't see which shrine it is in advance.

You just have to remember which shrine names are good, bad or mixed. The three absolute worst ones you should never touch are Fascinating, Ornate and Sacred shrines because the permanent negative effect can't be fixed by anything. If you see one of those, don't even open the door to the room.
>>
File: tfw1462060469841.png (6 KB, 510x420) Image search: [Google]
tfw1462060469841.png
6 KB, 510x420
>>3186458
..i am reconsidering to stop my belzeb run and start over vanilla...

maybe get a trainer to get to level 10 again...
>>
I don't know if anyone posted this yet, but you guys should check this out. Modification of the hell modification it looks like. I have not tired it out yet but it looks pretty interesting.

http://khanduras.net/forums/diablo-the-hell-and-angel-mod/angel-hack/
>>
Oh, that "grind" argument reminded me of something.

>be me, 7 or 8 yo
>have a friend who got diablo 1
>ok, let's play this sheet
>young_minds_blown.jpg
>we played the game for like 2 hours for the first time, leveled up a fighter a bit
>time passes, we haven't seen for some time
>visit his place eventualy
>his dad comes to me and says "anon, you seem to be bretty gud in those games, i played that diablo for some time and can't go further, can you help?"
>turns out he played the fighter
>he's somewhere at the point where knights are the appearing
>i opened character chart and there were like over 100 stat points to allocate
>he was using the best gear he could wear with those shit stats, like butcher's axe or sumth.

So yeah, turned out my friend's dad was more interested in playing, had no idea about the game, just clicked enemies to death and proceed. Eventually he couldn't go further, but as I allocated stat points and wear better gear knights were pretty much EZ PZ.
>>
File: Ashe - Normal finished.png (63 KB, 1030x793) Image search: [Google]
Ashe - Normal finished.png
63 KB, 1030x793
>>
>>3187418
Grind much?
>>
File: low-levels won't drop this - 1.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
low-levels won't drop this - 1.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>3187425
>level 27
>grind
And low level monsters don't drop my tier of gear.
>>
>>3187393
same anon here

I launched Belzebub and played my way to level 2. I was lucky to get butcher quest with my character, but something seems odd and different from what I remembered...

I was pretty sure butcher was on level 3, but ok.

I remember this boss to be in the square room inside main dungeon, not opening special portal to dedicated level.

Guys, did I play beta as a kid? I even remember (or just a misty false glimpse...) there WAS such thing as battle.net in main menu, yet I've never done it because no internet these days.
>>
>>3187503
>I launched Belzebub
Maybe because it's you're playing a fan mod?
>>
If I were to make a Diablo Pinball table, what should I include?
I was thinking of something like having 3 target zones to represent a fallen, a skeleton, and a goatman. There would be a ball-lock in the back that hitting would trigger the wounded townsman speech and then you have to score a certain amount of points to "kill" the Butcher or something.
>>
>>3186458
I never managed to defeat Izual, that git would stunlock or freeze me and have his way with me. I get the feeling he's balanced for Multiplayer.

Otherwise, I think Belzebub is rather good, it adds a lot of cool new content and practicalities.

Making stat boosting potions temporary just screams faggot move to me, but whatever, in the original game, by the time I'd see them regularly, I'd already have maxed out most base stats, or I'd rather save my money.

>>3187503
>but something seems odd and different from what I remembered...
Because Belzebub isn't like the original game.
>>
>>3170408
>>3171006
>>3182136

Butthurt /vg/ hipsters... butthurt that their shitty game is not validated as retro. What a ridiculous thing to be upset about.
>>
>>3187503
stay a while and listen
the old scrolls say something about this creature called the butcher.
his chamber has been twisted by the demonic violence he used to kill half the village.
a certain passage claims that wanderers should be cautious with portals when the enter the butchers gateway. ;)
>>
>>3188153
>what should I include?

Maybe some stuff from the middle and the end of the game, too.
>>
File: nat1462220938373.jpg (182 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
nat1462220938373.jpg
182 KB, 960x960
>>3188153
goats! lots of goats and goatmen.
>>
How the fuck do I defeat The Smith? Already stole the anvil but want to murder that fucker.
Playing Sorcerer L20, normally Chain Lightning wrecks everything. The game has been way to ez until now, Butcher, Leoric, Arcain the all fell like flies but this guy... got him down to 10%... thrice.

Teleporting on that little patch of land doesn't seem to work anymore like in the videos
>>
>>3188418
>people talking about Diablo
>"Nerrr, guys, Diablo II isn't retro, nerr"
>get told to piss off
>"Nyeerrr, b-butthurt ;_;"
Cry harder, nerdlinger.

>>3188153
Treasure and inventory art, the score counter should obviously be either XP or Gold.
Hit shrines for bonuses/powerups (drain block, free extra life, score multiplier, maybe unlocking a second set of flippers), bumpers can all be various potions, just for shits.
Also quests for defeating bosses, like The Butcher will come out from the side, ride on a rail, you gotta strike him with the ball.

The, glowing cathedral must feature somewhere on the table, maybe it's where the ball shoots out, into the "dungeon". You also need the ambient music, as well as the installer intro as you start it up, with the music cue and Diablo's laughter.

The more I think of it, the harder it is to make a table of Diablo that covers all of the game and remain satisfactory, you might have to divide it up into two or three tables, maybe even foyr, kind of a tall order if you're actually gonna build real physical tables.

I suppose you could do it like the Japs do with Pachinko machines and have parts of the gameplay/action/visuals be featured on a separate video display that's above the physical table.
>>
>>3187462
This screenshot just convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt that this mod is not for me.

One of my favorite things about the original Diablo is the way it calculates item drops. This is also one of my biggest annoyances with D2.
>>
File: Hv6f6.jpg (152 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
Hv6f6.jpg
152 KB, 800x1200
i support /diablo/ threads.
>>
I SENSE A SOUL IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS
>>
Gillian is my waifu.
I really like the townsfolk of Diablo 1. Their voice-acting is really top-notch.
>>
>>3192275
How many orgasms do you think Diablo gave her?

I'd say two. Probably two.
>>
>>3192771
non-canon
>>
>>3192775
You must be Egyptian.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with liking Hellfire.
>>
Diablo II is a mediocre game.
>>
>>3193559
I really like some aspects of Hellfire, but there's some questionable design decisions, uneven quality, and infuriating bugs (like the completely broken drop rates, ensuring you'll never find any uniques, new or old).
There's patches for some of this.
>>
>>3192764
the jewish merchant is annoying usually. he is overpriced.
(the guy from diablo 2 appeears on belzebub in tristram).
>>
File: diablo reactions.png (1 MB, 2096x1036) Image search: [Google]
diablo reactions.png
1 MB, 2096x1036
>>
File: 1315178221049.gif (235 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
1315178221049.gif
235 KB, 550x400
>>3193860
>>
>>3170161
Why not both?

Also try Diablo 1 on PlayStation
>>
File: 1462439995939.jpg (153 KB, 1023x932) Image search: [Google]
1462439995939.jpg
153 KB, 1023x932
>>3194823
I have the rom, but I haven't bothered even setting up the emulator and I already have Belzebub.

If emulating on PC, what can the PSX version show me?

I'm the kind of guy who'll try out various console ports of Doom just for the sake of it, for what it's worth.
>>
>>3173443
>i got a useless ring yesterday that reduced light radius.

Light radius effect isn't only to see enemies from longerd distance, you fuck. It goes both ways.

Stack -light radius then cast infravision from scroll. Voila. You see enemies, they don't see you.
>>
>>3184280
There are many problems with Belzebub, and they won't be fixed. Not because BrightLord ignores opinions of beta-testers ( on the contrary, after I wrote my feedback he did the suggested changes almost instantly ) but because he abbandoned the project.

So we still have spells requiring milions of magic, doing milions of damage and dealing 3-15% because of quad-immunes, we still have teleport+charge bosses hitlocking ranged chars, et cetera.

And he won't provide other D1 modders with code, because D1 moders acted like /int/ or /v/ tier faggots.
>>
File: 1240776346898.jpg (47 KB, 345x455) Image search: [Google]
1240776346898.jpg
47 KB, 345x455
>>3194823
I started playing Belzebub. lvl 12 now, dungeon 7.
It is fun so far although very few items interest me since I got everything filled with golds.
>>
>>3195721
I play Assassin, you fuck. Enable Invisibility skill then walk around. Voila. You see enemies, they don't see you.
>>
>>3195740
>So we still have spells requiring milions of magic, doing milions of damage and dealing 3-15% because of quad-immunes, we still have teleport+charge bosses hitlocking ranged chars, et cetera.
Holy shit this, everything you said there was 100% true. Also a lot of the spells are useless because of completely bungled numbers or nerfs that make no sense. Every cold spell except blizzard is useless because they do way too little damage, and all the fucking enemies are immune to being chilled. Like what's even the point. Stone curse makes the enemies take even less damage and doesn't stop any retaliation attacks so you can't bonk the quad immunes to death like in the base game, and I'll take a million years to saw through a rare that moves too fast and spawned with bullshit modifiers.

>And he won't provide other D1 modders with code, because D1 moders acted like /int/ or /v/ tier faggots.
That's a Biskup-tier faggot move if he abandoned the project, regardless of what the other people acted like. I guess that should've been expected after stuff like people's savegames getting corrupted and ruined by le epic anticheat in a single player game.
>>
>>3193860
sort of true desu. Looking back I really did love all of them but I'd have to say I liked D3 the least once it first came out. I'd say D3 and ROS are very very underrated. After a few patches I think the games are in a much better state than D2 ever was.

D1 will still be my favorite forever due to so much nostalgia, shatting my pants and having nightmares and the overall atmoshpere and music. Even though D2 is where I spent more time and actually had a much more fun experience, playing with friends and all.
>>
>>3195012
>If emulating on PC, what can the PSX version show me?
Being able to control your character directly with d-pad gives you a whole new experience + same screen co-op is really fun
>>
File: jinx ass.jpg (99 KB, 429x594) Image search: [Google]
jinx ass.jpg
99 KB, 429x594
>>3196289
How much does it cut from the original game?
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.