[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any love for Point and Click Adventure games? Are there any games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: Toonstruck_03.jpg (91 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Toonstruck_03.jpg
91 KB, 640x480
Any love for Point and Click Adventure games?
Are there any games you play to this day?
>>
File: 1402884679073.jpg (35 KB, 313x331) Image search: [Google]
1402884679073.jpg
35 KB, 313x331
>>3169810
>Toonstruck 2 will never happen
>>
File: good times.jpg (162 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
good times.jpg
162 KB, 1920x1080
My favorite genre growing up.
I regularly revisit classics on ScummVm and often try out different versions of those I grew up with.
Great taste btw, Toonstruck was my jam. So sad they weren't able to make the sequel.
>>
>>3169829
>Full Throttle

That game breaks my damn heart. It's such an interesting concept but it's painfully short.
>>
>>3169832
Short but sweet.
I remember when I first saw it in the shops. Couldn't believe people were loosing their shit over 3D games when there were actual animated cartoons we could play trough.
I still sort of feel that way.
>>
>>3169885
Not that the last few years have been unkind.
Telltale often get a bad rap around here but I personally think their stuff ranges from adequate to excellent, and games published under the Wadjet Eye Games publishing arm often rival the classics themselves.
Also, can't wait for Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick's Thimbleweed Park.
>>
>>3169949
I have to check out Wadjet Eye Games then, GOG had a sale with some of their games never heard of them before.
>>
>>3169959
I particularly recommend Gemini Rue and Primordia. The Blackwell series is pretty good as well.
>>
>>3169829
I found a copy of full throttle at the flea market. Original box, cd, everything. Mint condition. Bought it from the guy for $5. Excellent game
>>
I have to admit I personally don't love the "new wave" of point-and-click. There's just something that doesn't match the old ones. Back in the day you could design a puzzle that would have people scratching their heads for weeks, on the same spot in the game, and it would be ok (see Myst and Riven, for ex.). Nowadays you just can't get away with that, sadly.
>>
What ones have otherworldly environments and a sense of mystery?
Are The Dig and LOOM good examples? I need more.
>>
>>3170642
Myst an Riven
>>
>>3170640
>Nowadays you just can't get away with that, sadly.

Unfortunately, the problem nowadays is the internet. You can't get away from faggot neckbeards screaming and rallying against you online if you make a game that triggers them..
>>
>>3170652
Exactly. I mean, there are some exceptions; FEZ managed to get a lot of attention even with all those puzzles. But generally it's very hard indeed. On the other hand, sometimes you get "classic-feeling" games that emulate the old ones, but that's all they are: emulations. So I don't know. The Wadjet Eye games are ok, but I confess I never managed to finish one (started 3 or 4 of them).
>>
>>3169846
Full Throttle was the first game I bought with my own saved up money. Man, I felt kind of gipped. Don't get me wrong, it was a fantastic game, but I finished it in like two sittings. And it cost....damn, it cost 50 bucks where I am or something like that. For an eleven year old kid in the mid nineties,that was a goddamn lot of money.
>>
>>3169810
Fate Of Atlantis

>>3170640
>Back in the day you could design a puzzle that would have people scratching their heads for weeks
This wasn't always good, solutions could be completely non-sensical and arbitrary, leaving you to just thoughtlessly rub whatever inventory item you had on whatever feature or character you could find, desperately hoping to progress.

Then there's bullshit like King's Quest where something you did hours ago now prevents you from progressing at all, and you have to start over, because the game didn't give you any clue or give you a direct and clear gameover, and fuck you Roberta
>>
File: god-of-feels.png (40 KB, 640x380) Image search: [Google]
god-of-feels.png
40 KB, 640x380
>>3171023
It's a shame King's Quest VI is stuck with the others and usually caught in the KQBS generalization; I'm a Scumm man through and through, but that one has exactly what (arguably) was missing in the Lucas games: an actual feeling of peril and adventure.

Giving the player the ability to fuck things up makes for a more rewarding and satisfying experience, and KQ6 at least does a good job (definitely a better one than the others in the series ever did) of letting the player know when a situation is dangerous or a no-going-back scenario
>>
Kyrandia will always be the most memorable games for me. All three of em, and especially the second. And I remember being stuck with the third one because >>3171023
>>
>>3169998
I think their best adventure game so far has been Technobabylon. Long, chunky, good puzzles and story.
>>
File: 724.jpg (17 KB, 411x411) Image search: [Google]
724.jpg
17 KB, 411x411
>start a new adventure game
>enjoying myself
>immersing to the fantasy world
>examining and clicking everything, reading every single piece of text carefully to get the full experience
>slowly start to feel numb to the game after few hours
>not having fun anymore
>puzzles feel like chores
>force myself to plow through it, maybe even use a walkthrough

This happens to me a lot when I play point n click adventures. Maybe that just happens with bad and mediocre games? I have finished games like Harvester, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, and Monkey Island pretty much on one sitting because I really enjoyed the story and puzzles.
>>
>>3171316
It's one of the few titles of theirs I've yet to play.
The only game of theirs I've been disappointed with so far is Resonance. It had some ok puzzles, but its story was a load of wank.
>>
File: nigga_what_you_doing.jpg (18 KB, 320x241) Image search: [Google]
nigga_what_you_doing.jpg
18 KB, 320x241
>>3171352
> Maybe that just happens with bad and mediocre games

Can't be healthy rationalizing it straight that way, anon. I can't say about Harvester, but the general text and narrative density in the LucasArts games is very thin, which really helps if you're indeed trying to clear an adventure game in a sitting (really not the intended way these games were designed to be played)
>>
>>3171352
Sometimes I would take a break from the game, and then get an insight or two, while not actually playing it. Back in the day without walkthroughs, it was an enormous satisfaction after many wrong ideas, to finally find the right one, and be able to advance, even a small bit. This type of satisfaction, that comes from progress, is incomparable to satisfaction from just completing the game for the story and immersiveness.
>>
I replay IHNM and last fall I checked out Sam and Max Hit the Road, don't regret it. As someone living in the midwest that game nailed it.
>>
What sucks is that I can't replay the classic LucasArts games that I loved and still love because I remember all the damn solutions for the puzzles so then it's like just watching a movie or something. Still they are quality stories but I wish I could forget them entirely somehow so I could just re-experience them again like when I was a kid.

At most I replay games like Day of the Tentacle, the first two Monkey Island games, Sam & Max, etc, every 5-7 years or something. That way I don't remember the solution to ever single last fucking puzzle.

Fate of Atlantis is nice in that it has the three branching paths, so there's a bit more replay value there.
>>
This is and still is my favorite point-and-click.

I was a big animal kid back in the day, so this whole "talking to animals" thing was my jam.
>>
>>3172126

Dammit, I forgot the image
>>
File: pepsi.gif (20 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
pepsi.gif
20 KB, 500x384
>>3172060
Yeah, that's the curse of the graphic adventureâ„¢. The Indy games are a little better in that respect because of the point system and fisticuffs approach, but beyond that there's only Maniac Mansion maybe, with the kid combinations and whatnot
>>
>>3172153
Hadn't realized until I saw that gif that they probably did the front/back walking "animations" by simply jiggling the columns of sprites comprising the character's body up and down
>>
>28 posts in
>No mention of The Chzo Mythos

Nigga, do you even point and click the horror genre?
>>
Thanks to this thread, I finally installed ScummVM and began to discover great point-and-click games.
{spoiler]When I was a little kid, I imagined a console full of first-party point-and-clicks. Whatever, I even drew ads for it.[/spoiler]
>>
>>3172163

chzo mythos by yahtzee?

yeah they were decent games I reckon

but not retro
>>
File: 278scr-675-3-kq7.jpg (114 KB, 640x462) Image search: [Google]
278scr-675-3-kq7.jpg
114 KB, 640x462
I have fond memories for king's quest 7
>>
>>3169810
Yes, I enjoyed playing full throttle, monkey island, the dig, leisure suit larry and others. They were totally different from console games I used to play.

After awhile they got boring, the truth is these games are basically pixel hunting and this is boring.
>>
File: 7606.png (33 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
7606.png
33 KB, 633x758
Will Phantasmagoria and SpyCraft ever get on Steam? I know they're already available from gog, but it would be so much handier if all my games were on the same place. It would also be good to boost my e-penis to show how cool retro gamer dude I am.
>>
>be anon, 4-5 years old
>my uncle gave grampa a macintosh he got at work
>it came with myst, the 7th guest and a 3D dinosaur education game i cant remember the name of

>get to the graveyard cake puzzle in 7th Guest
>only the intro spoops me; the rest is like a cheesy horror movie
>4 year old me cant into that shit at all

>kind of explore around in Myst
>try setting those dials you see in the first few minuets to my birthday
>never successfully complete any puzzles
>only visit areas you can directly walk to from the starting area

>next year get Where in Space is Carmen Sandiego
>DO YOU THINK PROBES GROW ON TREES?

Part of me wants to go back and try these games again. They were the first computer games I ever played. They made sure I spent my afternoons playing with legos or outside.

Part of me also says 'nah that be gay.' because that is the conclusion 4 year old me reached.
>>
>>3172153
That .gif reminds me that I'm still bummed about how they intentionally made it so you can't play the uncensored NES Maniac Mansion prototype rom on ScummVM where you are able to use a mouse to control the cursor in the game unlike with typical NES emulators. Bastards.
>>
File: harvest_003.png (130 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
harvest_003.png
130 KB, 640x480
>harvester
>talk to mom
>type "fuck"
>pic related

that game is crazy
>>
>>3172546

is this game any good
>>
>>3172546
Alpha as fuck.
>>
>>3172686

I just beat it last night. Very campy and fun
>>
File: The_Gene_Machine_cover.jpg (28 KB, 256x324) Image search: [Google]
The_Gene_Machine_cover.jpg
28 KB, 256x324
I am currently playing THE GENE MACHINE. To me it is still one of the BEST and MOST underlooked point and click adventures. Really its great and such an underdog. The animations are amazing. So many different animations for all your different items. You can see they put a lot of hard work and effort into this. I love all the little details like the fact that there are RANDOM PEOPLE walking on the street or walking in front of buildings / inside buildings. The game is ALIVE. I don't recall other point and click adventures having NPCs just for the sake of making it more alive. The humour is also HILARIOUS. I still laugh about it today. I've always used to be a Lucas Film Games fan boy but now as an adult a bunch of jokes are pretty lame, tame and quite embarrassing. The Gene Machine has great dialog and jokes. I think it didn't have enough advertising and it wasn't a big company. The game is from 1996 and the graphics and everything is AMAZING for the time but the question is: What other games were there in 1996? I guess a bunch of point and click adventures so it got overshadowed by bigger titles from known companies. It's a crying shame. It also probably doesn't help that the main character is a TOTAL DICK. He really is a prick but this is what makes the game so funny.
>>
File: harvester.jpg (219 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
harvester.jpg
219 KB, 1024x768
>>3172686
I think it's great. It also has multiple solutions to different puzzles so it has replay value as well.

It has some very sick and twisted humor, from pedophilia to cannibalism.
>>
Syberia
>>
I want to play some old games like the one's from Lucas Arts, anything i should know about compatibility issues with current day pcs or how to run them?
>>
>>3176245
look up scummvm, its emulating the game engine on newer systems..

get a torrent with both scummvm and some games
>>
>>3176247
Thanks man, will look at that later.
>>
>>3176252
Make sure to play the FM Towns versions of Zac McCracken and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade if you choose to play them. They have nicer graphics and arranged CD scores. Also for the rest play the DOS VGA/DOS CD-ROM versions if available. Except I suppose for Loom and for that it depends on whom you ask as to whether the DOS floppy, DOS CD version or FM Towns is the best. It all emulates in the most recent version of SCUMMvm whether or not it's DOS or Macintosh or FM Towns or what have you.
>>
I recently finished LOOM and I liked the musical gameplay approach, the visuals and world building including the well-made audio-drama introduction. Noting drafts in the physical "spellbook" was also cool.

But the game was so incredibly easy and felt "rushed". Like some weak modern adventures, you barely get to know locations and characters before it abruptly pushes you to the next scene and suddenly it's over.
This pace also didn't fit the melancholic, dreamlike atmosphere at all.

I could live with easy difficulty and short length/cliffhanger ending but this game didn't give its characters and locations the amount of substance and content they deserved.
The concept was really good but without more puzzles, a slower pace or more exploration, it felt to me more like one of those modern shallow "nongame walking simulators" than a LucasArts quality adventure, and basically just disappointing.
>>
>>3176357
There's a modern fan sequel called "The Forge", in case you want some continuation (not really a continuation, but rather a sidestory set in the same world). It's incomplete, and probably will never be, but you can play Chapter 1.
>>
What does /vr/ recommend for making point n' click games? I can't find a proper comparison between multiple engines.
>>
>>3176357
Did you use a walkthrough? I feel like I had pretty similar playtime my first time through to monkey island and got stuck for days at a time sometime. (As a kid)
>>
I loved all the Tex Murphy games and played them back to back, even the new one. Does anyone know if there will be a sequel?
>>
>>3176950
I only played under a killing moon as a kid are the others worth picking up
>>
>>3176718
I've heard good things about AGS, at least as a beginner engine.
>>
>>3177007
They all have some flaws or stupid design (annoying stealth, timed or flight sections, pixel hunt puzzles etc.) but Killing Moon to Tesla Effect are definitely worth playing for adventure fans.
Under a Killing Moon is a classic, hilarious and great atmosphere.
Pandora Directive is a "more and mostly better" sequel: more choices, more mystery, more puzzles and locations, better interface, ... A bit less sleazy humor though.
Overseer is a remake of the first in the style of the later games: decent and overall probably a better game than the original but not as good as the previous two.
Tesla Effect is a faithful sequel to the classics UaKM and PD and also worth playing.
>>
not retro, but how good is Dropsy?
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.