[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Turn based RPGS- am I missing out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: final-fantasy-1-nes-screenshot.jpg (190 KB, 450x395) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-1-nes-screenshot.jpg
190 KB, 450x395
So I never managed to get into Final Fantasy. Am I missing out? I think I've tried them all. Even had it for Game Boy. The music is great but the game just bores me. FF for SNES looks great yet I did not manage to get into it. I've tried to get into FF a bunch of times but I have always failed so I am wondering if those games are even worth it. Am I missing out on something? First I would blame the genre. I never liked it. I would prefer action oriented games (no discussion if those are RPGs. I never said they are) like Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy Legends, Star Tropics or Zelda (especially the GB ones). There are some turn based RPGs I REALLY enjoy like Mother/Earth Bound or Pokemon. So what other turn based RPGs should I try and why is FF good / should I try again?
>>
File: 1269889490146.jpg (850 KB, 900x1037) Image search: [Google]
1269889490146.jpg
850 KB, 900x1037
>>3164141
Different people like different things. Don't worry about it too much.

That said, I personally think FF4 and FF9 are really fun and I recommend them to everyone. 6 gets a lot of (deserved) love, too.
>>
Not a fan of JRPGs. The turn based combat with random encounters are a turn off.

Can appreciate the story, music, and world though.
>>
>>3164170
Unfortunately RPGs are made for people like you nowadays, being completely real time and no random encounters. So thanks for ruining the genre!
>>
>>3164237
I don't play modern JRPGs either.
The base gameplay of those is cinematics with QTEs now.
>>
>>3164141
If you are talking about the first Final Fantasy, it is still near to early classic RPGs. It's great not for its story but it's great as a Role-Playing Game itself. You don't play an episode of Cecil's or Cloud's life, but YOU are the leader of the Warriors of Light to save the world from evil.
>>
>>3164251
Name one.
>>
>>3164141

Have you tried Chrono Trigger?

I only sort of like JRPG's but I think with Chrono Trigger Square seems to have really worked hard to avoid the boring parts of the genre. There are no random battles because you see the enemies on the screen, there isn't combat on the world map so you can get to where you wanna go, you don't need to grind, and the story really pulls you forward with a sense of urgency instead of traditional "go to this town, talk to every one, beat the boss" rinse repeat sorta deal.

If you play it on the DS (which is a very good port) I highly, highly suggest avoiding the Lost Sanctum bonus dungeons. They break the urgency of the plotline at the worst possible spot and make your party too strong so you breeze through the end of the game. Look it up if you're playing on DS because there isn't any indication that it's bonus content, it's about 3/4 the way through the game.
>>
>>3164302
Kingdom Hearts 2.
>>
File: ulus-10018-game-ss-1.jpg (81 KB, 627x353) Image search: [Google]
ulus-10018-game-ss-1.jpg
81 KB, 627x353
>>3164148

Sure but lets forget FF for a second then. If I enjoy Mother and Pokemon AND GOD I LOVE Popolocrois I am VERY sure that there are other great turn based RPGs I WILL enjoy. I mean Popolocrois is turn based and has random encounters. So it has everything FF has. It just seems more fun and I like the characters and isn't faggy like FF- which is my personal opinion. So I am looking forward to game recommendations. THANKS A LOT
>>
>>3164141
If you haven't played it yet, Chrono Trigger is a must. The Tech system and no random encounters make the gameplay really enjoyable, and there's really nothing more that needs to be said about the story, art, music, etc. I would also recommend Super Mario RPG because of the timed attack system and (again) no random encounters.
>>
Go play FF13. Top notch wifus and story. Once you get out of the first corridor (30h) the game gets a lot better.
>>
>>3164314
That's not a JRPG mate
>>
>>3164338
>Japshit
>SquareSoft
>RPG

How is it not a JRPG?

"Japanese role-playing games are role-playing games made in Japan." ~ My good pall wiki.
>>
>>3164141
try FFs with ATB and set them to the highest speed in active mode
Live A Live
Chrono Trigger and Cross
Legend Of Dragoon, you might like doing additions - I love it
Legend Of Legaia
Grandia
try an SRPG like FFT
Treasure Of The Rudras - nice magic system

I'll try and think of some more, but it's ok if you don't like them, maybe it's just not your genre
I'm surprised you liked the mother games tho
>>
waiting for the fantasy to end really how long can it go on really? i likes 7 and 10 but how long can ghey really go on milking the title and online play.a bigger chrono trigger fan.
>>
>>3164321
You may like Dragon Quest games; I think your view of FF as "faggy" is that it takes itself a little seriously at times? Dragon Quest is a bit more lighthearted like the games you posted.
>>
>>3164341
But that's wrong. JRPGs are stat-raising adventure games characterized by pre-defined characters, lack of roleplaying choice, and mash-A-to-win gameplay. There are American JRPGs, eg. Shadow Madness.
>>
>>3164494
Never underestimate video game companies' willingness and ability to milk old IPs. They recently announced the FF7 remake is going to be a trilogy of games, or something like that.
>>
>>3164348
>try FFs with ATB and set them to the highest speed in active mode

I don't even know what the hell you are talking about. ATB? Active mode? What is even going on.

Chrono Trigger is GREAT! I really like it. Should have mentioned it.

You've got a nice list there. A few games I have never even heard of like Treasure of the Rudras.

I've enjoyed Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga A LOT. I do not know how much this counts though. It is turn based after all. The jumping mechanism was genius in my opinion.

I am really starting to believe that the original FF is just really dull and nothing special happens in it. Really are there moments when you are like WOW or does it just drag on?
>>
File: sad ramza.png (225 KB, 500x478) Image search: [Google]
sad ramza.png
225 KB, 500x478
>>3164141
I enjoy Final Fantasy games, but you have to realize that the first one came out a LONG time ago, and all the successors followed from the same school of design. It's dated, and there are quite a few people I know like you who dislike the battle system, too. The people who like them are probably well-accustomed to the mechanics, and have a fondness kindlec throughout the years.

I'm not entirely sure which parts you enjoy and which parts you hate, but I think it's a good idea to at least try your hand at all the entries. The PS1 games are similar, but aren't quite as tedious as the older ones and have a more engaging battle system. The Tactics series are turn-based as well, but are far more interesting with the sheer abundance of customization options, and I find it fun to learn the mechanics thorougly in games like that.
>>
>>3164141
You are missing out OP, they are worth it. They are meant to be slower so you have time to plan out your attacks. Think of RPGs as the chess of video games.
>>
>>3164614
Chess isn't meant to be slow.
>>
>>3164616
Err unless you're playing blitz chess you're full of shit.
>>
>>3164623
You're one of those fucking assholes that takes 5mins between a move while reading a chess start page aren't you?
>>
>>3164585
Ramza is so fuckable. Look at those hips.
>>
>>3164626
"Serious" matches take a pretty long time, anon. I've played Go games that have taken like an hour and a half.
>>
>>3164616
Unless you're that 12 year old Russian kid who can play 15 games simultaneously then yes, you are meant to take your time and plan out a strategy.
>>
>>3164636
>>3164637
Even a relaxing game of Chess is fairly quick. Take a sip of tea or coffee and what not.

Much faster than the labyrinth of menus in a JRPG.
>>
>>3164646
>labyrinth of menus
>not just spamming the highest damage spell over and over every turn

Set the cursor to memory and you'll be out of battle in 10 seconds.
>>
>>3164650
And when you need a mp or hp potion/food?
>>
>>3164560
ATB stands for active time battle, battle flows in real time while you're picking your actions
started with FFIV on the SNES
FFIII has a nice job system
FFII has a unique growth system but most people hate it
FFI really isn't anything special when compared to most FFs or JRPGs in general

Chrono Trigger uses ATB as well
also, I've noticed you like pokemon, maybe you'd like the Shin Megami Tensei franchise
>>
>>3164664
Set your potions/ethers to the first slot in your inventory and heal out of battle. 5 seconds max.
>>
File: Chapter_4.jpg (123 KB, 1280x898) Image search: [Google]
Chapter_4.jpg
123 KB, 1280x898
>>3164632
I know. Not even gay, but Ramza is the ultimate fuccboi.
>>
>>3164676
I'm not sure what babyshit JRPG you've been playing.
>>
File: 1430547395704.jpg (86 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
1430547395704.jpg
86 KB, 700x500
>>3164141

If you enjoy Mother, but not Final Fantasy... Maybe you must try the Dragon Quest franchise.
>>
>>3164690
Looks more like SM bondage gear than armor.
>>
>>3164560
>I don't even know what the hell you are talking about. ATB? Active mode? What is even going on.
Are you the kind of person who plays a game without ever looking at the options screen?
What
is
wrong
with
you?
>>
>>3164693
That would be Final Fantasy x, where x is a variable between 4 and 10.
>>
>>3164508
Can't believe it took this long to mention DQ. He said he liked Pokemon and Earthbound which are basically babby's first Dragon Quest.
>>
>>3165887
Literally the first thing I do in any game is look at the options menu. I suck ass at retro so I want to see if there's an easy mode and 5-7 lives mode.
>>
>>3164560
FF1 in its original form is pretty much shit. Look at all the remakes and pick the one whose art style appeals to you the most or just skip it.

FF4j/2US is good, so is 6/3US. Play those. If you don't like those, you don't like Final Fantasies.

FF7 is overrated but it's not bad by any means. Play it if you want. FF8 is a dark horse that you either love or hate, it's very different and kind of a trainwreck. 9 is the last real FF game before 10 revamped everything
>>
I've personally never played a game with ATB, what would be the best intro to the system? Final Fantasy 4, since it seems to be the first use of it?
>>
>>3166010
It kind of switches around a bit with different games. Personally I never much cared about the differences

Look, all ATB means is you can get attacked during your turns. The meters fill up and then that guy can attack, but enemies also have (invisible) meters and if you take too long you can get your ass handed to you

It adds a sense of urgency to the battles and I like that but it's literally optional
>>
>>3166010
FFVI lets you skip turns, so I like that one
IV is more challenging and has better boss battles though
actually the psp version of FFIV lets you skip turns as well, might wanna try that one

not /vr/ but my favourite ATB JRPG is probably Baten Kaitos Origins
>>
>>3165887
Yep, I see why people couldn't handle junctioning now. It all becomes so clear.
>>
>>3164321
You know you're deluded when you live in any country that isn't Japan and think a game that requires knowledge of Japanese is less faggy than any game with an (official) English translation.
>>
>>3164321
Would you quit capitalizing unnecessary words? Jesus, you write like a sixth grader talks when he doesn't get enough attention. Also, how are they faggy? And who uses that as a description and flaw in the game? Another point to be made is that I wouldn't really put Pokemon on a list of Rpg's you enjoy because 80+% of people that play games have played and probably enjoyed one Pokemon or another so it doesn't really help clarify what you want.
As for a recommendation, try Grandia.

Finally, if you have to be told what ATB is, maybe you should try and read how games work instead of obviously not understanding how it works through playing.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.