[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did the Digimon games never come close to the quality and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: dmw3.png (733 KB, 802x603) Image search: [Google]
dmw3.png
733 KB, 802x603
Why did the Digimon games never come close to the quality and fun of the Pokémon games?
>>
>>3163821
Digimon is about a single partner who you stick with the entirety. Pokemon is about throwing them in a box to rot when their usefulness has ended.
>>
>>3163821
Digimon was and still is a Pokemon ripoff.
>>
>>3163821
Why did the Digimon games never come close to the quality and fun of the Pokémon cartoons?
>>
>>3163830
That's besides the point. It could have had good games, but it didn't.
>>
>forgetting about "DIGIMON! RUMBLE AREEEEENAAAAAA!"
>>
>>3163836
Digimon World was good though
>>
>>3163821
They did. DW1 was pretty much the only game of it's kind until the PSP super-overhaul remake.
>>
>>3163838
DMRA had some good music tracks for the final stage, I'll give it that.
>>
DW3 kinda felt like a Pokemon game on a console. A little team that even follows you around on a chibiesque overworld, plus 3D turn based battles.
>>
>>3163872
It had so, so much backtracking and grinding, though. That killed the fun factor.
>>
>>3163831
The cartoons were dogshit and the lowest part of the franchise.
I recognized this as a kid and watched Gundam Wing or that carpentry show instead.

Quality level goes: mainline games>manga>trading card game>spinoff games>cartoon.
>>
>>3163830
Digimon was around first wasn't it?
>>
>>3164024
Nigga wat. Pokemon was a shit show and still is. Least season 1 of digimon was good
>>
>>3164024
Carpentry Show? My brain is stuck trying to figure out wtf you're talking about
>>
>>3164116
Watch season 3 of Digimon, man. It was written by the same guy (Chiaki Konaka) who did Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze.
>>
>>3164120
Some middle age dude on home improvement channel.

I learned much from him.

Just lol at millenials who think IKEA furniture is worth paying any amount of money for.
I wouldn't pick it up for free on the side of the road.
>>
>>3164114
Only if you count Tamagoshi as Digimons.
>>
>>3163830
>Digimon was and still is a Pokemon ripoff.

Digimon came first. If anything, Pokemon is a direct ripoff of Shin Megami Tensei.
>>
>>3164160
>Highly recommend :D
>>
File: norm-300x300.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
norm-300x300.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
>>3164120
>>3164142

are you thinking of the new yankee workshop with based norm abram?
>>
File: 1425600296077.jpg (21 KB, 287x291) Image search: [Google]
1425600296077.jpg
21 KB, 287x291
>>3164142
>>3164172
Holy fuck I forgot about this show and how goddamn good it was. Fuck, why isn't this shit on netflix?
>3 grand for the series box set
>>
>>3163821
Pokemon was a game franchise first and an anime second. Digimon was an anime first and then some games were made based on it.

Likewise, the Pokemon games were good but the anime was shit, while the Digimon anime was good but the games were... of varying quality.
>>
>>3164217
>Digimon was an anime first and then some games were made based on it.
That's not how it went though.
>>
>>3164198
lots of it on youtube
>>
>>3163821
Smaller budget, more ambitious.
I like Digimon World more than any Pokemon, though.
>>
>>3164443
Well if you want to be clear, it was a tamagotchi first, anime second, game third.
>>
>>3164217
Eh, Our War Game is a great movie but other than that Digimon's never been anything special.
>>
The new game on ps4 is pretty good senpai
>>
>>3163821
They did and they surpassed them
Pokemon games are garbage
>>
>>3163821
Because apparently Bandai keeps on reinventing the wheel in every installment. They forgot that what sets Digimon apart from Pokémon is the Tamagotchi aspect. Digimon World is a good 'video game-ization' of the Digital Monster electronic toys. They should stick to that.

Personally the franchise should go with this:
>Digimon World series: console Tamagotchi
>Digimon Story series: JRPG
Much like how the Digimon electronic toys is currently divided into two series, Digital Monster for virtual pets and Digivice for pocket RPGs.
>>
>>3166103
The main Pokemon games are notorious for using the exact same formula in each incarnation. After a while it gets very repetitive.

Digimon on the other hand seems very diverse. No two games are all that similar. Whether the game is good or bad might be down to other factors. As for the games themselves they seem to fare okay at least. The PS games all have their fans, even DW2. I recall the Wonderswan games being liked and the PSP games were well received. There are a few crap games, but they don't seem like a majority.

It's not really a Pokemon vs. Digimon thing though. If you were to make a list of all the gaming series that are as big as Pokemon is it would be a pretty small list, especially if you limited it to the confines of /vr/.
>>
File: 1460626254583.jpg (125 KB, 625x480) Image search: [Google]
1460626254583.jpg
125 KB, 625x480
>>3163821
I was wondering the same thing until i played Digimon Re:Digitize for the PSP. The game is a 10/10 on all aspects:

> Graphics and art design are great
> Digimon models are nice to look at and evolution designs are awesome
> Simple stats
> More intelligence stat = more control over the digimon
> Easy manipulation of digi evolutions (excel at certain stats and that's it, evolution items are required way later)
> Story is engaging and characters are somewhat cool
> Digimon NPCs' sidequest are fun

But, get this, your digimon only lives for a few and then he dies. Then, you choose another digi-egg and start all over again.

Over and over again.

And the other characters' digimons don't die!

Is THIS why digimon games didn't take off like pokemon?
>>
>>3166187
>digimons die
one, this, because you lose motivation to do that shit again (the casual player anyways)

then you got the fact
>>3163828
that you only stick with one Digimon or so. Variety is very fucking important. Gets too boring after a while, otherwise.

>>3166126
there is no actual identity because all dem games are very different from each other.
It was already doomed because of the first game anyways.
>>
>>3166187
> Graphics and art design are great
The humans now look like modern generic anime.
>>
>>3163821
Because Pokemon was always a game franchise first, and Digimon was always anime franchise first.
>>
>>3164156
>>3164153
There's so much disinformation about that. Digimon first came out as Tamagotchi in 1997. Pokémon Red & Green came out in Japan in 1996. They were to be released as early as 1995, but were eventually delayed. The "Gamefreak 1995" you see as the intro in every Pokémon game is there for a reason.
>>
File: Roy Underhill.jpg (54 KB, 800x400) Image search: [Google]
Roy Underhill.jpg
54 KB, 800x400
>>3164156
Less Shin Megami Tensei and more directly inspired by Dragon Quest V (had monster catching) probably. Though the original Megami Tensei did the whole monster collecting thing before DQV, DQV was actually released a month before Shin Megami Tensei on the SuFami.

>>3163831
The pokemon anime is terrible. Looking back I regret forcing my sister to watch reruns of it over much better things that aired in the same timeblock (like Visions of Escaflowne). Also
>>3164024
>>3164172
This shit was great. It's like the woodworking version of the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross only a lot more varied and is a lot more accessible to the home workshop than The Woodwright's shop with Roy Underhill.
>>
>>3163821
Itt's rally subjective anyway. I always had more fun with battle spirits than with any pokemon game.
>>
>>3166103
>currently
Dude there hasnt been a digimon toy in many years
15th anniversary dont count thats a one time thing
>>
>>3168896
Thats bullshit and retarded
Digimon was a vpet franchise first
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.