[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stadium Events
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7
File: box.png (391 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
box.png
391 KB, 500x375
Regarding the recently discovered mass collection of games, including six sealed copies of Stadium Events posted on NintendoAge: Taking into consideration the current and historical price for this game, current and historical prices for NES games, the current known sealed/copies of Stadium Events, I've been punching some numbers into my calculator, and I've estimated that the projected price of these games once all of them are sold are around approximately 16-21,000 USD, compared to the current price of 34-39,000 USD. What does /vr/ make of these prices, or the collection in general? Of course, this topic is mostly speculation for hardcore collectors, so don't take all of it too seriously. Things may change at any time.
>>
>hardcore collectors
If you're buying shit like stadium events you're not hardcore. You're a fucking idiot.

Buying horrible games doesn't make you a collector.
>>
>>3161613
Anyone who even considers purchasing such a thing is a fucking retard. Find a real investment
>>
I love shit like this. These games aren't that old. We are still in the prime time of troves of things being found and unloaded into the market.
>>
Apparently NintendoAge is having the mental meltdown of the millennium over this.
>>
>>3161613
Its only worth as much if you pay for it.
Price is bound to take a hard dive
>>
>>3161620
It bloody well does, buying more than one makes you a hoarder, buying it and playing it makes you a loon, buying it putting it in a box protector, VGA grading it makes you someone that has more money than sense
>>
File: 1359410272274.jpg (50 KB, 475x355) Image search: [Google]
1359410272274.jpg
50 KB, 475x355
>>3162024
>VGA grading
>>
File: monolito.jpg (29 KB, 679x275) Image search: [Google]
monolito.jpg
29 KB, 679x275
hum so this is apparently true, judging superficially from a dozen sources linked in this wikipedia entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Events#cite_ref-9
>9 ^ "Woman Picks Up Rare $15,000 Nintendo Game For $7.99 At Goodwill". 2013-04-18.

whoa, now this shit is getting on the level of painting collectors, i mean, sure its merely 1/1000+ the value of a Rembrandt, but i mean it in the sense that the item is now more (or purely) an abstraction, its intrinsic nature no longer matters, it is merely a thing who's value is only justified because a string of other collectors have already paid similar amounts for it...

but even still, the nature of a painting is not lost, it's worth that is the painting itself is still a painting, non-replicable by machines to the microgram scale with current technology, even if its going to be appreaciated only visually thru a glass and at distance, and hence makes no difference to the human eye if it were a copy.

but a meaningless piece of plastic and metal whose purpose is to carry a replicable data, and now as a hardcore collectible item is not even gonna be used for its purpose, keps no intrinsic worth at all, its just a thing, bought and re-sold by idiots.
>>
I always feel like any object of this rarity in a cheap collerction hobby is bullshit. It's just like old people and being obsessed with baseball cards, or people buying into the beanie baby or amiibo craze. It's all fucking stupid and you probably have better chances at winning the lottery
>>
>>3161620
I wouldn't say buying the game if you have the income for it would make them idiots.
Although I don't really care for getting a complete
collection of a systems library, though I can
understand the historical aspect of it I don't care for getting all those bad games on a system as well
I prefer to collect games I'm interested in, Stadium Events is not one of those but I do love
when these copies of "Rare" games are found
because it drives down the price of them.
>>
>>3162081
I tend to think of worthy/valuable collectibles as things with unique significance, a history, or similar (something like a promotional cartridge or NWC, for instance). I'd argue that SE has no meaningful historical significance, even in the world of games. Sure, it was recalled and I can understand that raising the value a bit, but the reason people care is shit like that story. Basically, what you said: it is expensive and desired primarily because it has become known as being expensive and desirable.
>>
>>3161613
What fucking numbers are you punching?
>>
I expect this will push down the value of the game even further than that. The discoverer is a fool to have disclosed the entire cache he cost himself thousands of dollars.
>>
>>3162329
The thing is, he has had these for many years and is aware of the value. I have no idea of his motives, but he seems to have expressed displeasure with people trying to corner the market.
>>
>>3162334
So they could be fakes then, shaking up the market.
>>
>>3162334
It took him a while to learn to make passable repros
>>
>>3162329
The dude wasn't out for money. He was purposely calling bullshit on the "collectors" who bought the game as an investment and drove the price up. He is intentionally lowering the value to spite those shits.
>>
>>3162329
He's also privately sold 12 out of his 18. Money isn't his concern here.
>>
The fuck probably has a lot of these boxes.
>>
>>3162801
It was something near 400 cases. Many of them on the extreme high end of rarity/value like DK jr math, Chubby Cherub, F2
>>
>>3162828
Yea from what I understand this guy basically starting collecting NES games when the NES was still in its prime. He's a 60 year old dude who had a ton of money during that time period and decided to stock up.
>>
File: at least postage is free.jpg (115 KB, 1124x472) Image search: [Google]
at least postage is free.jpg
115 KB, 1124x472
These prices are getting ridiculous.
>>
>>3162850
That's the average price of video games in Australia.
>>
>>3162850
The whole retro gaming boom is fucking stupid right now. This shit isn't worth anything. It's plastic cases with discs in them. In 100 years, if anything physical exists media wise, 3D printing will be so advanced and reproduction will be so advanced there will literally be no point in having an original. As in, the items will be made functionally identical.

This stuff is just out of control.
>>
>>3162861
>le just plastic maymay
>le 3d printing maymay
You're retarded kid. And poor and buttmad.
>>
>>3162882
It's already happening now, in 2016. There are already cases of reproductions so good you can't tell unless you scrutinize the boards.
>>
>>3162857
I almost dropped dead when I visited America and saw how low the prices for NES/SNES/N64 carts were. Games in general too.

The average N64 console goes for $200 here, and you might be lucky to get Mario 64 or something bundled with it. There, $50-100 gets you a nice set up with at least a few games. I hate it.
>>
File: eb0-1.jpg (427 KB, 1200x803) Image search: [Google]
eb0-1.jpg
427 KB, 1200x803
>>3162882
>the year 2016
>old games are already being reproduced, including boxes, instruction manuals, etc., including custom laser 3D printed artwork, shells, cases, etc. too
>the year 2116
>reproductions of old plastic games will be impossible
>>
>>3162882
So, a plastic acrylic jewel case with custom spine that reads the video game you want, plus the instructions manual and back with the video game art inserted in it is possible now, and is already being done.

Burned discs with the proper labels are already being done.
>>
>>3162861
3D printing isn't going to replicate data on a CD. Are you stupid?

>>3161613
This is only going to affect people who collect sealed, which is an extremely small part of the collector market and is fucking dumb anyway. Why throw down 20k for a game when you're just a few copies of the game showing up out of nowhere and killing the price of your game. I guess it's funny that all the people who have spent thousands on these games are about to see their "investment" lose a shit ton of money.
>>
>>3162896
>3D printing isn't going to replicate data on a CD. Are you stupid?

Are you?

Do you seriously think in 100 years the printing technology won't be able to replicate a disc and it's data?
>>
>>3162896
>3D printing isn't going to replicate data on a CD. Are you stupid?

uh
so
there's a thing called
putting data on a disc

that you can do

after you've replicated the case and it's manual, which is already being done...
so not really sure
how that would somehow cease to be a thing in 100 years...
>>
File: Dust_and_Grooves_.jpg (348 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
Dust_and_Grooves_.jpg
348 KB, 960x640
>>3162861
The ORIGINALS will always have value to people even if there is digital media and replacements. The example I always use for this is music. there are lots of collectors of music from 100+ years ago. Google this guy for example.
>>
>>3162902
>100 years

Wow man, I sure do give a shit about a time when I won't even be alive anymore.

And maybe you'll be able to print a replica but so what. People are still going to want the original shit which people will autistically verify as legit even with the advancement of 3D printing technology.
>>
>>3162921
>>3162925
You aren't really grasping what I am saying.

We will have physically identical copies that are printed out.

They will be indistinguishable from originals.
>>
>>3161620
Collecting things makes you a collector which is what they're doing even if it's a collection of overpriced shit.
>>
>>3162918
People will still want the originals. Replicas will have minor flaws that hardcore collectors will be able to discern. You can't perfectly replicate everything, there will always be some kind of flaw. Whether it's the type of paper used in the manual, the ink, color shading, etc.
>>
>>3162928
>They will be indistinguishable from originals.

I doubt that. Some component of the process will be different from the original, even if it is functionally identical.

Also, don't forget that not every digital copy of a game was ripped properly - Ripper, for example. Every major torrent site is hosting a bad copy with a fucked up 3rd disc and this version is the one that is massively distributed.
>>
>>3162928
People can do that with baseball cards but there still seems to be a healthy collectors market for those.
>>
>>3162884
>>3162890
>>3162894
>Babies who can't tell a bootleg from an original
>>
>>3163035
>Also, don't forget that not every digital copy of a game was ripped properly

Fuck your for reminding me that the ISO copy of the PSX port of In The Hunt has severe audio glitches and I actually owned a perfect copy when I bought it for cheap in a bootleg flea market
>>
>>3162801
>>3162828
>>3162837
393 I believe

>>3162657
>>3162767
According to him the combined total of the 12 sold for less the last one on ebay
>>
>>3162081
Not to mention that stadium events is the same exact game as world class track meet, just with a different sticker on the cart
>>
>>3162928
but they aren't the originals.
>>
>>3164317
I'm inclined to believe he sold them for less.
There was a string of emails posted in a nintendoage thread that showed him selling off a Mario arcade cabinet (I think) for a buck just because the guy was a huge Mario fan, even though he was getting offers of upwards of 10,000.

>>3162928
There's always going to be ways to distinguish fakes from the originals. One way or the other people will find some way to adapt to it like only buying from people they trust. Game collecting is a relatively cheap hobby compared to many other collector hobbies like baseball cards or comic books and I would expect people would work on perfecting fakes for markets with more money in it than video games.
>>
>>3165658
>There's always going to be ways to distinguish fakes from the originals.

jesus fucking hell anon

if you print in your monochrome laser printer 2 copies of a text and whatch them as they come out, i shuffle them, can you say which one came out first?

>printed circuit boards,
>common electronic components,
>injected plast... strike that, just grab one from whatever sport game
>colour laser printed label

only thing that would be hard, would be a box made out of some type of cardboard that is no longer manufactured, because you would need several thousand to procure an old machine.

and you couldn't simply flood the market with a few thousand homebrew originals sealed in boxes, so you could never recover the cost of the cardboard machine, since you would be unlikely to find a buyer once you stock piled some boxes
>>
>>3162928
A few years ago vintage Star Wars toy fakes got very prevalent. What did the collectors do?

They started buying up vintage carded toys that had price stickers on them, because THOSE prove its legit
>>
>>3165954
im not sure if you're agreeing with him or pointing out how "a sucker is born every minute"

but a yellowed weird shaped adhesive with the store's named printed in blury letters was only hard to duplicate with a 1996 deskjet printer, that is, if you didnt have the patience to deal with silkscreens to give a real unique bluryness to each tag, in case any buyers were to photograph and compare several tags from toys in your yeard sale.
>>
>>3161723
too bad the same dude has BOXES of sealed games and lots and lots of them. hes been collecting this shit since the 90's so he has the real hold on everything.

i just wish this shit wasn't so blown out of proportion. fuck, just 10 years ago, magical chase was $250 CIB, samson was about $60-80 CIB
>>
>>3162085

I don't see the comparison between reselling of items and playing chance games. I would argue that speculation in a subject that one is sufficiently knowledgeable of would be much more sound investing logic than hoping for a random chance event like the lottery. Sure, you likely won't make the size of gains that you would in something like the stock market, but if you know the game anyway, then you might as well play it.
>>
>>3162890
Hell, there's a company making near perfect copies of fucking Neo Geo home cartridges and they are selling like crazy.
>>
Some rich troll should absolutely flood the marked with nib boxed titles, and crash prices back to a reasonable level. This stadium events "master box" find is a step in the right direction.
>>
>>3166759
No, no.
>>
>>3167489
It's all too true though. Neo Geo conversions look so good that the only way to tell them from the real thing is to look at the insert printing with a magnifying glass. Meanwhile, outfits like Neo Conception team and others are perfecting perfect counterfeits that don't even need donor carts. The Chinese can crank out this stuff like crazy, and they smell the money to be made.

The Neo Geo AES situation is already gotten so bad that high dollars carts basically need a provenance of known owners in the community, as boots are everywhere.
>>
>>3166148
I remember Little Samson was like $60 only 5+ year ago.
>>
>>3167712
It's not true and if you'd owned originals you could tell the difference.
Neogeofags are fools and they deserve the shit they reap. But that doesn't mean someone who actually knows what they're looking at can't tell the difference.
>>
File: dion.jpg (69 KB, 400x380) Image search: [Google]
dion.jpg
69 KB, 400x380
>>3167853
>Neogeofags are fools
Looks like someone isn't a "Big Tymer"
>>
>>3167803
It is a meme game. Most of the current prices are due to old games becoming a fad and the resulting panic that things will only get worse.
>>
>>3162334
They're real

Strange thing is I meet people at flea markets who have lots of old video games but are not interested in online sales or bragging.

One guy was a doctor and he was sling toys, mostly star wars stuff and I mentioned Nintendo games. I still have my nes and snes I grew up with so it's really the only consoles I buy for. Anyway short story long he told me he had tons of games he didn't want so he brought them the next week and I bought some. Got good games super cheap and even when I told him he'd get more online he didn't want to put the time in. There's still old guys there that buy xxx vhs and dvds for 5 bucks a piece so I doubt they are computer literate or they don't care.
>>
>>3168470
I still maintain that there's more old games out there than ebay spree buying folks think. This shit was sold in large quantities out of bins in GameStops within the past, what, 10 years?
>>
>>3162921
Crazy, I collect vinyl and it blows my mind how outta control some people get but I guess that's with anything.

With.vinyl and video games I used to collect just to collect but now I'm at the point where I'm ready to sell off anything I don't really love. Didn't collect it as an investment but to enjoy the stuff but getting older now and even if I listened to a new record every hour of every day I'd probably never hear it all so fuck it I'll let someone else enjoy it.
>>
>>3162925
You know after my brother died and I basically got all his stuff it really made me think about my stuff. Who is going to enjoy my stuff when I'm dead? I have nieces and nephews so I guess I can leave it for them but they might not enjoy it but I guess they could always sell it and make some money. My uncle told me he is leaving me his records and USMC memorabilia and I have my Grandfather's WW2 stuff but I'd never sell them.
>>
>>3168470
>>3168476
Absolutely. You never know whats sitting storage or in some guys garage or attic. A few years ago they found a ton of new Caltrons and that was a huge deal. I wouldn't be surprised if more Stadium Events cases showed up down the road.
Not all collectors are interested in bragging and plenty of them have no presence in the community at all. The best collections out there are the ones no one knows exists.
>>
>>3163067
Baseball cards took a HUGE dive from back in the 90's. Maybe they are worth something agsin I dunno, if they are I gotta get mine outta my locker and sell um.
>>
>>3168494
Baseball cards only tend to spike if there's a chance a famous, long-standing record being broken.
>>
>>3167712
Could you link to some of these repros? I highly doubt they're 1:1... The chances of them using the same eeprom stamping is very low
>>
>>3162024
>VGA grading it makes you someone that has more money than sense
No, that's the clown that drops nearly 40K for a factory sealed video game. And the clown that goes out of their way to pay exuberant amounts of cash for VGA graded video games on ebay.
>>
>>3167712
>The Chinese can crank out this stuff like crazy, and they smell the money to be made.
This is why Chinese bought SNK. Don't be surprised if one day 'SNK' legit begins to pump out reproductions of their old shit. Til then they'll just continue to pump out reproductions illegitimately while immune to any legal threats cause they bought the brand.
>>
The idiot that paid over $35000 for a copy of this title must be kicking himself in the ass. There are probably cases of SE sitting in some warehouse waiting to be uncovered.

Imbeciles that grade videogames like fucking baseball cards or comics, and incase them in plastic, are a cancer that deserve to loose their shirt, also.

Truly rare titles are games like "Video Life" by CommaVid for the 2600, which was practically a "cottage industry" product of a tiny company, and only goes for like $5k because of the lack of hype in the Atari market. Video life was only available to a subset of a subset of 2600 owners, as it was a mail in offer available to owners of the incredibly rare "Magicard" programming cart.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.