[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Flash Carts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9
File: everdrivefront.JPG.jpg (141 KB, 1136x852) Image search: [Google]
everdrivefront.JPG.jpg
141 KB, 1136x852
>>23671619
Talk to me about flash carts /vr/. Right now I'm thinking about getting one for my N64, and maybe more down the road for other systems.

How is compatibility? Where is the best place to buy them? Is it really as easy as dropping a rom on an SD card and going to town?
>>
>>3156769
>How is compatibility?
other than SNES you get damn near 100%
>Where is the best place to buy them?
either from krikzz directly or a chink knockoff (no warranty or support from krikzz though)
>Is it really as easy as dropping a rom on an SD card and going to town?
yes, plus the OS/firmware/etc file/folder you get from krikzz' site

i have a bunch:
nes n8
sd2snes
ed64 v2.5
edmd v3
turboed
(rhea)
(gdemu)

i'm happy to answer any questions you might have
>>
>>3156779
You're too kind anon.

Why the caveat for SNES? I'm assuming it has to do with the number of unique chips that found their way into SNES carts?

I'm looking at Kirkzz' site and there's an ED64v3 now. How's your experience with the 2.5 been, and would it be worth it to get the 3 over the 2.5?
>>
>>3156797
>unique chips that found their way into SNES carts?
yeppers you can install a dsp chip on the superED to play dsp games (pilot wings, mario kart) but the sd2snes plays them out of the box as well as cx4 games like megaman. essentially, sd2snes can emulate all special chips except SA-1 (super mario rpg) and FX(2) games like star fox

ED64v3 fixes compatibility with animal crossing and pokemon stadium, iirc, so not worth it unless you really want to play it
>>
File: american_psycho.jpg (399 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
american_psycho.jpg
399 KB, 1920x1080
>>3156769
>04/21/16(Thu)11:11:11

dem 'levens
>>
>>3156769
I got Everdrive 64.
It emulates NES decently. Some mappers wont work. You can even emulate Game Gear(shit sound) and Game Boy. Pretty good deal. The only downfall is that it's on a Nintendo 64.
>SNES CHINA VERSION
I got one, and it's the tits. It comes pre loaded with a full SNES library. So far, shit is legit as hell. No need to dl any OS, or some shit. You just pop the fucker in and go to town.
>>
>>3156815
Also, homebrew devs are taking advantage of the MSU1 chip to do some pretty awesome stuff, like making "CD enhanced" versions of classic SNES games like Mario World, Zelda ALTTP, and Super Metroid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxta_tvvXyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AKSoDFUSKA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdTka_nlyD8

I'm really tempted to start buying Everdrives for my systems. The hard part for me though, is that every time I consider it, I think "but I could buy several games for that price." And I'm talking top-shelf shit.

If you you really can't stand the thought of paying $50-100 for a game cartridge, then the Everdrive is a godsend, although if and when I buy one it will probably be at the point where the must-haves I want are beyond economical reason for me to obtain.

With Super Nintendo in particular, that time is probably going to come sooner rather than later because the supply of SNES games is drying up much faster than the other systems. For something like Earthbound the only options for me are a reproduction cart or an Everdrive, because I am not paying $200 for a game cartridge or disc unless it's an absurd deal like Panzer Dragoon Saga. The closest I ever came to spending even $100 was Guardian Heroes for $80, and I missed my chance because I made the mistake of going home to think about it.
>>
>>3156769
One thing is the SD card does not work in my cpu anymore. It still plays games doe.
>>
What flashcarts exist for pre-NES consoles?

I know there is one for the 2600 and one for the Vectrex.

Are there any others?

I mean full library on a cart, not flash one game to it at a time.
>>
>>3159763
http://www.retrocollect.com/Guides/ultimate-guide-to-retro-gaming-flash-cards-cartridges-a-backup-devices.html
>>
>>3156779
>other than SNES you get damn near 100%
If you're going to make broad statements why not do it in a way that doesn't make you look so silly. Like "other than carts that have special chips". I assure you my neo geo flash cart is no where near 100%
>>
File: ed64plus1.jpg (69 KB, 475x351) Image search: [Google]
ed64plus1.jpg
69 KB, 475x351
How are these? I can't find an comparability info or firmware uodares, I know they are an older version of an ever drive 64 but which?
>>
>>3156797
>>3156815

Maybe you already bought one OP, but I figured I'd chime in here.

I got an ED64 2.5, an official one. I only went for the NTSC chip being in the US, I don't feel like I'll be missing much without PAL games.

The functionality is great, games load up almost instantly and behave like the real thing. It really is the best way to play N64 with the state of emulation being what it is. Plus you can avoid the expensive prices on a few choice games.

I chose the 2.5 because I already have a copy of PokeStadium 2 and don't see much point in playing Animal Forest. There's also one bonus to the v3, which is that on the 2.5 you have to press reset and wait a bit before turning a game off, or else the game won't save. This is a minor issue really, I barely even notice it.

The ability to play 64DD games is also fantastic. It's a recent feature upgrade for the OS, rand means you can play F-Zero X Expansion Kit or Doshin the Giant without paying the crazy prices that a DD and its games fetch nowadays.

Overall I can heartily recommend an ED64 2.5. The 3 is good if you absolutely need a perfect N64 flashcart, but if you can deal with a few minor setbacks then the 2.5 is more than enough.
>>
One particular place where I think flash drives are very relevant is handhelds. Back in ye olde tymes I didn't mind carrying around a big bag with my entire Gameboy library inside of it, but these days if I am going to go portable I would prefer to have as little incovenience as possible, especially since some of those handhelds are quite large. I haven't really started collecting handheld games again, but I'm very interested in getting my gamegear fixed and modded with an LCD screen, and I want to take a stab at modding an GBA phat with an AGS screen kit. Having a complete collection on an SD card is a huge deal for a handheld. I probably won't even bother getting a lot of game carts if I had one, unless they were of particular sentimental value or a really good deal on something rare.
>>
>>3160994
Everything works really fine. I have one and no complaints about it.
The only game i really wanted to play but I couldn`t was WWF no mercy.
But the rest works really fine.

Smash bros 19XX patch - Works
Banjo tooie - works (with anti piracy patch)
Wonder project translated - Works
Sin and punishment translated - Works
Jet force Gemini - Works.
>>
>>3162029
>i never heard of multi carts
>>
>>3159905
Neo Geo flashcarts exist?
>>
>>3162179
Since before you were born.
>>
>>3162179
No, they don't.
>>
>>3162170
The quality on multicarts is dubious, and generally speaking they're somewhat limited in the number of games on them. Maybe things have changed and there are complete library carts that I haven't heard of, but Everdrive is regularly lauded for its high quality craftsmanship and I can have full curatorship of what games will be on it.
>>
>>3162204
>i don't know about something so it doesn't exist

>>3162306
The worst multi cart was infinitely better than the 1990 version of the ED.
Also, when you write like that trying to sound clever it has the exact opposite effect.
>>
>>3156769
You're literally paying for emulation. Don't believe the lies of krikzz and those who were duped by him.
>>
>>3162092
Shame about No Mercy, but that emulates really well anyway
>>
>>3162413

>le buttmad collectorfag
>>
>>3162612
>le buttmad emubaby
>>
>>3156769
I play games to actually physically beat them and have the completed cartridge in my collection. I don't just buy them to play as one offs and move on in a spree.
>>
>>3162413
I'll pass on paying local $50 for old N64 games instead of just paying $100 for an Everdrive, thanks. Maybe if I had the massive amount of goodwills and yard sales you guys have I'd be a full blown aidscollectorman too.
>>
>>3162413
>paying for emulation
>on original hardware

Oh god, you're fucking wrong.
>>
>>3163203
The fact of the matter is that the number of consoles out in the wild is disproportionate to the amount of good game catridges necessary to build collections for all of them. That equates to a lot of homeless game consoles. Flash carts are a way for people to put life into those old consoles without having to further dry up the supply of cartridges.
>>
>>3163243
How is a flash cart "original hardware"?
>>
my experience
ED64v2 is cool, full support and decent nes support, but there is always that one time you forget to hit reset to save. I heard the new one fixes that but I can't justify re-purchasing it just to be forgetful. You never realize how notgood the 64 controller's dpad is until you try to play a difficult nes game
SuperED is kinda trashy honestly, its more expensive than the chink shit you guys keep trying to shill, and it probably works just as poorly, eg the obvious nochip support but also pretty poor sdcard compatibility. I'm not trading out for a SD2S until that fag delivers on his many promises of its technology
MegaED is godly, has genesis, master system, 32x, anime tiddies, and sega cd bios I have yet to do anything with but I hear are for playing foreign games. No problems whatsoever with it
>>
>>3163431
Emulation is emulating the system hardware. Unless you somehow have a 1:1 cycle accurate emulator (which are few), there's going to be a difference. A cartridge is just data, lumping them in the same place is just like putting multiple movies on a VHS tape. The system just reads the game data, none of the system itself is being emulated.
>>
>>3163431
The console is the hardware. The game is the software. If you use a flash cart all you are doing is running an unauthorized copy of the software on the original hardware. The game console can't tell the difference and the experience is virtually identical, because the digital bits are all the same.
>>
>>3163431
lern2computer before you post
>>
>>3163462
>Unless you somehow have a 1:1 cycle accurate emulator (which are few), there's going to be a difference
Cycle accuracy makes zero difference for most games. It's most useful for making romhacks where you want to be 100% sure it will work on original hardware.
>>
What's the best flash cart for DS? Do they play both DS and GBA? Does anyone have a recommendation?
>>
>>3164123
DStwo and it's the only one that CAN play gba games because it has an exclusive emulator app.
>>
Is there a SNES flashcart that can work with starfox yoshi story and DKC games?
>>
>>3164064
...but the developers didn't intend for you to have to scroll through a menu to play their game...

devs also didn't intend to look at a clear red cartridge! might as well be playing on a modern tv baka
>>
>>3163462
>Emulation is whatever I say it is
No it's not

>>3164064
>A plastic box with some chips inside is software
Literally retarded

I appreciate that a lot of autistic kids on the internet believe the only type of emulation is software emulation and only counts when you're emulating an entire system but that don't make it so.
>>
>>3164502
What is the flash cart emulating then?
Actual definition of emulation in reference to technology: "In computing, an emulator is hardware or software that enables one computer system (called the host) to behave like another computer system (called the guest)"
Cartridges are not computer systems whether it's an original or a flash cart. The console is the system/host. This is basic definition, not autism.
So yes, the only emulation is when you're emulating a system. Unless you want to go around changing definitions.
>>
>>3156779
Are there any major issues with the EDMD v3? I just picked up a Genesis last night and have been considering just getting one instead of hunting down all my favorite games. Also, is the v2 worth the much increased price at all? I see that it has faster load times and support for EEPROM, but I just can't see that being worth doubling the cost.
>>
>>3164502
Flash carts aren't fucking emulators. Except in the case of SuperFX chips and the like, the input to the console is 1:1 with a copy of the game. How many times do we have to go over this?
>>
>>3164557
To clarify: if a SNES flash cart supports an extra chip like the SuperFX (i.e., a separate processor in addition to the ROM) then that game is either not supported, or the flash cart has emulation for the add-on chip.

If we're talking games without any expansion chips, once you press start, what the console does is EXACTLY what it would do if you had the actual cartridge inserted. There's no emulation happening.
>>
>>3164567
This.

A flash cart like anon is describing here is basically an EEPROM. All we're doing is changing what the console is reading from as it runs. Maybe a flash cart has faster or slower reading speeds compared to a normal cart, but it wouldn't be much of a difference really.
>>
I got a large chinatown district in my city. If I were to get one for each system what should I look out for?
>>
>>3158216
damn the instruments they chose for SMW are gay as fuck
>>
>>3159763
The mega flash ROM is one for the msx. Not as easy to use as the console ones but you can do more involved things with it
>>
>>3162779
You physically beat your carts? Don't be so rough with them dude
>>
>>3163446
Don't rely on the Sega CD BIOS feature if you're pal
>>
>>3164240
Dkc : every flash cart
The other games you mentioned: no
>>
File: 1265754834120.jpg (32 KB, 679x427) Image search: [Google]
1265754834120.jpg
32 KB, 679x427
>>3164749
Holy fuck, it is the year of 2016 and we still don't have flashcarts for fx and sa-1 chips?
>>
>>3164663
also >no yoshi drums
>>
wheres the best place to buy the everdriveMD?
>>
>>3164539
>The definition in computing is...
>We're not talking about computing
Uh oh. Retard alert

>>3164557
>How many times do we have to go over this?
Until you kids learn that your made up definitions don't mean anything in the real world.
>>
>>3164749
I'm assuming Mega Man X2, X3, and Top Gear 3000 won't work as well since they have special chips?
>>
>>3166224
Top Gear 3000 uses a DSP-3 chip IIRC so that one is supported on Super Everdrive with DSP support and a SD2SNES. The two Megaman X sequels however only work on a SD2SNES. Whether they are emulated 100% correctly, I don't know. Only that it's possible to play those games on it.
>>
>>3165656
Ykpaiha
>>
Are the GBans GBA carts worth it? I wonder if they'll work with the gameboy player on the GameCube.
>>
>>3166309
Just wait for the Everdrive (or the clone of the Everdrive.)
>>
File: usps-customs.png (25 KB, 615x295) Image search: [Google]
usps-customs.png
25 KB, 615x295
>>3156769

My Everdrive 64 just left customs. Ordered it from the UK (www.retrotowers.co.uk). Too scared to have it shipped from Ukraine.

Have the SD card all prepped and ready to go.
>>
So I've just gotten a Genesis with a Sega CD recently, and I've been considering getting a flash cart. I'll also need the RAM cart for my Sega CD. Would it be more worth it to get the EDMD v3 plus the official RAM cart or to just get the slightly more expensive Mega Everdrive v2?
>>
>>3166330
My v64 left customs before you were born. Weren't scared a bit and didn't shill anything.
>>
>>3167840
>shill
OP's question is where to buy. Don't have mine yet but at least something got shipped with a tracking number.

And why go after a fellow anon who is actually going out of his way to run his recently re-acquired n64 on a PVM with s-video cable rather than shitty Project64 emulation with a mayday adapter?
>>
>>3168108
>i'm offended that someone commented on some faggots 4chan blogging and feel this isn't a safe space
>>
>>3156815
Are there carts that do emulate sa-1 and/or fx chips, but won't play other games eg mario kart and megaman?
Or is SD2SNES basically the way to go?
>>
>>3162342
>>when you write like that trying to sound clever it has the exact opposite effect.

I agree
>>
>>3171101
>Are there flashcarts that do emulate sa-1 and/or fx chips

No. Not at present. None. Super Mario RPG and Star Fox/Starwing do not work on ANY flashcarts. I wish people would use google. This info is not hard to find.

There is a slight possibility that the SD2SNES will gain these features one day. The hardware is powerful enough, but the developer/s have not gotten to it, and might never will. It has been a long time now. I just don't think they care anymore.

The Super Everdrive will NEVER gain these features. It just hasn't got the computing power.

You should buy a SD2SNES (like I did) and then buy the handful of non-working games that you want.

These listed games don't work:

SuperFX

Star Fox NA JP
Starwing EU
Stunt Race FX NA EU
Wild Trax JP
Vortex
Dirt Racer
Dirt Trax FX
Powerslide
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Doom
Winter Gold EU
FX Skiing NA
Star Fox 2
FX Fighter
Comanche

SA-1

Derby Jockey 2
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
J.League '96 Dream Stadium
Jumpin' Derby
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Mini 4WD Shining Scorpion Let's & Go!!
PGA European Tour
PGA Tour 96
Power Rangers Zeo: Battle Racers
SD F-1 Grand Prix
SD Gundam G NEXT
Super Bomberman Panic Bomber World
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

SPC7110

Far East of Eden Zero
Momotaro Dentetsu Happy
Super Power League 4
>>
>>3173894
You forgot some games

>https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility
>>
>>3174140
Fair point.
I did remove some Japanese games, but there are a couple more western releases I forgot about.
That list is the one to go by.
>>
How well do 64DD games work on Everdrive? I want to play the F-Zero expansion kit
>>
I know I'm gonna sound like a fucking Krizz shill but I recently sold my ED64 v3 and bought a ED64 Plus from Aliexpress and this thing is fucking garbage. Games never save. The menu sucks and there's no cheat support. Either wait for the new chinese clones or buy an official cart.
>>
>>3175401
Personally I wouldn't even pay the $70 they're asking even if it did everything the official cart did. I have superior period devices and the convenience of being able to add a new game to my SD slightly faster just isn't worth that much to me.
I did pick up a MD one when I saw it in a shop for $30 so when they get down that that I might impulse buy one.
>>
Hi I am a burger and I want to play Master System games on my Genesis, what is the correct thing to buy? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>3166205
>Until you kids learn that your made up definitions don't mean anything in the real world.

Yours certainly don't. Watch just about any youtube video about flash carts and they will contrast it against emulation and they don't call it emulation. It's not emulation, because you are only playing a copy of the software on the original system rather than emulating the system. 99% of people who are familiar with flash carts can wrap their head around this concept. I've never heard anyone call an EZ Flash IV for the GBA or an R4 card for DS an "emulator".
>>
>>3175389
Recently this became possible.
64DD games will indeed work on an Everdrive 64.
>>
>>3175682
>My dictionary is kids on youtube
The scary thing is you're not even trolling.
>>
>>3175575
any cart with a pause button at the top
no power base converter needed
I recommend the Mega Everdrive but I think even that Neo Myth piece of shit would work
>>
>>3156779
Where do you get the Chinese knockoff ED64? Do you happen to have a link?
>>
>>3175771
Well there's what 99% of the world thinks

and there's what one butthurt reseller on 4chan thinks

(also the butthurt reseller isn't serious, he's just seeing how many replies he gets and how mad they are)
>>
>>3176186
>some kids on youtube are 99% of the world
You live in a small sad world kid.
>>
>>3164240
Just buy the few games that can't be emulated.
>>
File: bateman awe.jpg (238 KB, 816x816) Image search: [Google]
bateman awe.jpg
238 KB, 816x816
>>3156769
>11:11:11
Oh my, just look what time it is.
>>
>>3173894
>Star Fox
Is this bait? Star Fox 1 and 2 work on the SD2SNES Rev. F
>>
File: image.jpg (141 KB, 600x713) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
141 KB, 600x713
>>3176648
Tell your wife and her son I said hi on your way back to >>>/v/, kiddo.
>>
>>3162179
151-in-1 cart + MVS adapter (if playing on AES)
>>
Does the Turbo Everdrive work on PC-Engine?

As in, can I play TG-16 versions of the games on a PC-Engine?
>>
>>3177689
Multicart + consolized MVS is cheaper. You can display the AES on shelf to impress the bitches.
>>
>>3177360
No they don't. Super FX hasn't been implemented yet
>>
File: Texture Cat.jpg (128 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Texture Cat.jpg
128 KB, 512x512
>>3158216
It's like they're trying to make Zelda 3 into some sort of bizzaro CD-i version. Oh god why?!

The music feels like the audio version of this image.
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.