[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this game any good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 10058_front.jpg (88 KB, 640x545) Image search: [Google]
10058_front.jpg
88 KB, 640x545
>>
>>3156715
No.
>>
>>3156715
yes.

dont listen to >>3156719
>>
>>3156715
Couldn't get into it meself. Saw so much praise for it but was underwhelmed.
>>
It's good but it feels unfinished. If ever there was a game that deserves a rerelease or semi-sequel it's this one
>>
>>3156715
Yes. One of the best RPGs for the playstation imo.

>great setting
>great story
>excellent combat system
>extensive customization of weapons and armor
>cube puzzles
>random time trials
>amazing soundtrack
>>
>>3156729
>It's good but it feels unfinished

50% of the game was winnowed down from the initial design plan. It's a popular stat to repeat but the truth is that that isn't really any different from any other large game project, what sets Vagrant Story apart is that you can still sort of see those loose threads of other stories still chilling out in the periphery.

Even the end credits have a scene with Ashley, Nissa and Tieger working together as was the original party-based plan before they got cut down to minor, minor antagonists instead of fully playable PCs. Now it's like, why are they even still in the game?

>>3156715
Yeah. There are several unfun ways of playing it, and some of its critics don't make an effort to change how they play and bitch about it.
>>
>>3156715
DO NOT focus on grinding attributes or whatever. Just use the weapon you want to use. Swapping weapons and trying to play like a perfectionist will make you hate the fuckin game.
>>
>>3156756
>playing the game as intended makes you hate it
Into the trash it goes, then.
>>
>>3156768
Swapping weapons constantly was NOT how it was intended to be played. That's something you hoarder-types came up with instead of just binning everything you can't use.
>>
>>3156768
The game is won or lost in the workshop
>>
File: 1424359325204.gif (1021 KB, 500x267) Image search: [Google]
1424359325204.gif
1021 KB, 500x267
>>3156768
>1999+17
>Swapping weapons in Vagrant Story

I bet you fags didn't even have your pet monster kill stuff for you.
>>
>>3156715
Yes it's fucking great.
>>
>>3156715

If you go into it with the right mindset you'll probably enjoy it.

It's more of a Survival-JRPG then anything. Theres no towns, and you're basically going to have to scavenge and craft all your weapons and armor.

I think the story is a little "too deep 4 u" tryhardy and a lot of the characters they introduce feel worthless, and theres a lot of just stupid shit that goes on.

It's definitely a game that is very breakable once you understand it and learn how to exploit the combat system.

Otherwise, it's a fairly standard JRPG with real time movement.
>>
>>3156768
>>3156771
>>3156772
>>3156787

>Swapping weapons in Vagrant Story
Unless you're doing the Raging Ache speedrun strats you'd be an idiot to stick iwth the Fandango.

Basically the affinities are grossly over emphasized.

Weapon damage is all that matters. Occasionally something will do superior damage (like I think silver weapons do bonus to undead/dark enemies, I can't really remember), but you can always grind affinities on the various statues around if you absolutely want to min/max.
>>
>>3156756
>>3156768
>>3156771
you're supposed to match the weapon attributes, that is, slash/blunt/pierce, which can't be grinded.

after that you try to get your main weapons that you're building to have at least one element that is good, then you use gems and spells to increase it as high as possible. This makes the weapon effective against mostly everything. This doesn't really require grinding, but does require swapping when you fight something that makes your element ineffective. The more you raise it though, the more often it will be effective against everything, and therefor it will be raised regardless of what you're fighting.

the racial category has the least effect on damage because it has no effect on the enemy's defense categories, so if you grind your racials and still don't hit for impressive damage, it's because you didn't use the correct element or weapon attribute in the first place.

You do not need to grind in Vagrant Story, you just need to understand it. Even just getting lost if you have your elements set up on your weapon is enough to accidentally grind your element so high that you roflstomp most of the bosses.

well. you won't get your element too high if you don't dip into the optional areas and happen to find a good matching element gem or a good grip. lack of exploration can weaken you considerably in this game.
>>
File: theGodsHaveSmiled.png (461 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
theGodsHaveSmiled.png
461 KB, 1280x720
>5 hours in the Catacombs
Funnily enough, each of the last 3 ghosts dropped their spells on their second encounter.

Pure mage run is fun as hell once you get rolling.
>>
>>3157390
>the racial category has the least effect on damage

Actually it has the most impact. All damage uses class (or as you called it, racial) as the base damage and affinity and type modify it but will never exceed 100% bonus.
>>
>>3160065
>emulator
>16:9
Kill yourself immediately.
>>
>>3160765
I refuse.
>>
>>3156715
Its fantastic, so deep gameplay and as hard as Dark Souls. I,m actually playing it, I just arrived at Mines B2. So far so good
>>
>>3157390
Not trying to shit on you anon, but this right here is the perfect example of why I couldn't get into the game.

I don't expect hand holding, but it felt like the game just shoved all these complex systems at me from the start with no explanation. Maybe I didn't stick it out long enough to get through "prologue" stuff to get to where the game teaches you shit, but I had no idea what was going on when I tried to play.
>>
>>3157358
>you'd be an idiot to stick iwth the Fandango.

Yes, which is why you upgrade the blade as you go, in the workshop. By the end of the game you should be wielding a khopesh or at least a khora blade.

Wait, you DID know that you can combine blades to upgrade them, right?
>>
>>3161158
Open menu
Go to quick manual
Learn
>>
>>3156715
I'm about six hours in and I already think, mechanically, that it is one of the best games I have ever played.

Story is weird, but the atmosphere is at least top tier.
>>
File: ePSXe 2015-05-18 13-39-48-275[3].png (861 KB, 1440x1060) Image search: [Google]
ePSXe 2015-05-18 13-39-48-275[3].png
861 KB, 1440x1060
This is the best looking game for the PSX. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>3162739
lol
>>
it's queer as fuck
>>
File: SJHIiiit.jpg (332 KB, 990x743) Image search: [Google]
SJHIiiit.jpg
332 KB, 990x743
mfw Snowfly forest

worst part of the game
>>
>>3156715
Are the hair antennae on his head supposed to be something, or is it just JRPG hairstyle? Serious question.
>>
File: aspect raidou.jpg (456 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aspect raidou.jpg
456 KB, 1920x1080
>>3160065
ASPECT
RADIOU
>>
>>3162739
Castlevania SoTN and Dino Crisis would like a word with you
>>
>>3161158
Like >>3161164 said, there's an in-game manual that gives you a good explanation of the damage mechanics. However, outside of that manual, the game will never explicitly explain anything, or even tell you that the manual exists.

>>3157390 is the most succinct explanation I've seen for making strong weapons. GFAQs has a good guide that covers everything about weapons in great deal, but of course, don't go to the board to ask questions.

And before you ask, for the love of various deities, do not even think about making an 'ultimate' shield or armor.
>>
one of my favourite games of all time, but it's not for everyone
read the manual before playing

also, you can break the game over your knee after the minotaur fight by spamming gain life/magic on the first dummy and learning every chain ability
>>
>>3162739
>you're the best looking guy here
>>
>>3156715
Awesome game with an unparalleled atmosphere and soundtrack. Great combat system and graphics as well.
>>
>>3162739
Honestly doesn't look that bad.
>>
>>3163221
They're just long strands of hair that defy gravity. So yeah, typical JRPG fare.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.